Dogs/Jake

Question
My dog jake is my baby. But lately when he bowels move he has blood drops, and blood in his poop. What could this be and what can I do about it. Please help

Answer

Hi Sandra,

Blood in the stool can mean lots of different things, ranging from an upset stomach, parasites to allergic colitis to even cancer. Blood in your dog’s stool is only a symptom of something wrong. It doesn’t identify the actual cause of the problem.   

With so many possible causes, ranging from the benign to the deadly, the best thing to do is to take your dog to the veterinarian.  I really can't guess at why your dog has blood in his stool, and while trying to move his bowels. Your dog needs more than guesswork anyway. You need to take him to your vet for an exam and diagnosis. Be sure to bring a fresh a stool sample with you when you get an appointment.  if your dog is not eating or drinking or appears lethargic, it is imperative that you bring him to the veterinarian immediately rather than waiting to collect a stool sample.

If you can't afford a vet bill at this time, there are some things you can do to help you afford the treatment your dog needs. If friends and family can't contribute or loan you the money, ask your veterinarian if he or she would allow you to pay off the bill over an agreed upon time frame. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front.

Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public.

There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

http://www.carecredit.com
http://www.healthcard.citicards.com

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

Patti  

Dogs

Patti