Dogs/What is wrong with my dog's eye??

Question
QUESTION: Just adopted this 10 month old male cane corso last week. His right eye does not appear to be bothering him, but what is this??

/var/folders/_w/spfg0z396cb_lrrckpnhjm200000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/FullSizeRender-14.jpg

ANSWER:
Hi Sara,

The link to the photo you sent me appears to be only a partial web address. Please send me the complete address to your link.

Thanks.

Patti

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response, Patti. Hope this link works...

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/Cami_Gray/FullSizeRender-14_zps1xjscsnh

Answer

Hi Sara,

Thanks for sending the updated link.

I can't tell from the photo if the area on the eye is raised, or if it's flat. Either way it doesn't matter. Because you only recently got your dog, getting him examined by a vet of your choosing is always a good idea. Plus he has this eye issue that should be examined. Although I think very highly of myself, I am not a substitute for veterinary care.

The Cane Corso is a breed has a couple of eye problems that are common to the breed. Entropion is the inward curling of the eyelid so that the lashes scratch the cornea and cause irritation and eventual scarring and ulceration. Another condition is Ectropion. It's the opposite of entropion and involves the lower eyelid rolling out, exposing the sensitive tissues beneath. Though unattractive, ectropion is also not dangerous to the dog’s health unless infection occurs. The third eye condition common to the breed is called Cherry eye, which is when the gland of the 3rd eyelid becomes inflamed, swollen, and protrudes from the lower lid. It doesn't look like your dog has Cherry eye, but I thought I should mention it.

Your dog might not have any of these conditions. It may be something else such as a hemangioma (a a benign growth), or it might not be anything more than a birthmark in a very odd area, or it could be something more serious. There's no way to guess, which is why you should go for the vet exam. I'd suggest not putting off the vet visit.

If you know any other pet owners, getting a recommendation is the best way of finding a vet, if you don't already have one.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Best of luck!

Patti

Dogs

Patti