Dogs/dog has skin yeast infection

QUESTION: My 13 year old Wire Fox terrier was just diagnosed with a skin bacterial yeast infection 2 weeks ago.My vet has put her on an 5 week course of an antibiotic called cephalexin and instructed me to give her shampoo treatments with a veterinary shampoo called ketohex .Shes also prescribed entederm ointment for her abrations as during the baths I am instructed to shampoo and scrape her skin forcefably.I am not comfortable using this type of steroidal cream for a long period of time and was wondering if hydrogen peroxide might be a good alternative to spray on the mild abrations.She is not very sore at this time and is showing some improvements.Although the yeast had spread to her gential areas and caused a mild bladder infections.She has unnormal organisums and a lot of protein in her urine.The vet feels the antibiotics should clear this up.She has been eatting Now senior grain free dog food topped with blended vegetables and chicken breast for the last 6 years of her life.Her skin and coat was always looking good except for in the last year in which changed started to occur and she began to loose hair off her legs.She hasn,t lost hair off her back or other areas and her coat otherwise is looking fairly good.But I am worried about this yeast which has spread throughout her system.She has been on pearls probiotics for many years which I thought would be a good preventative againest this type of thing.I was wondering if you might have any suggestions of what I could do to rid her of this skin yeast infections and prevent it from occuring.I have always tried to take the best care I could of my dog and am very upset this has occured.Other then this she is in good health.
         thankyou for any suggestions,Marcie

ANSWER: Hi Marcie,

Sounds like you are doing a lot of good things for her. I'll go over a few things I've learned over the years and you can see if any of it makes sense and add to your routine.

Typically, yeast infections grow because of the diet. Even if you give some probiotics, they can still take hold over time. If a diet has too many carbs or sugars in it, this will continue to feed the yeast. So this is the first thing we need to look at.

It's great that you are feeding grain free but I don't recommend a "senior" type of food. Most dog food manufacturers that claim their food as senior, reduce the protein and add other fillers. They say they do this because seniors as less active and don't need so much protein.

This is far from the truth. Senior dogs actually need higher, better quality proteins as they age.

The Now senior dry food you are feeding will actually feed the yeast problem she is having. It is way too low on protein and contains potato flour, potato's, sweet potato's, and several berries.

We need to get rid of as many carbs and sugars as we can out of her diet. The potato's and berries are full of carbs and sugars.

The best diet in the world for any dog and especially for dogs with yeast infections is a raw food based diet. A balanced raw food diet will contain meat, vegetables, ground bone and organ meat. There are many manufacturers of raw dog foods that make feeding this method very easy.

If this interest you, there is plenty of information online about it. Natures Variety is one brand we carry, there are many others. You can visit their site to learn some here:

If you would like to transition to this diet, you can write back and we can discuss easy methods.

There are also lightly cooked foods like My Perfect Pet. This is the next best thing to feeding raw. The more you cook or process dog foods, the worst it is for them.

That's why even the best dry food is still the worst diet for any dog. It's dry, void of moisture and a dog's natural diet is high moisture. It can be a part of their diet if you are on a budget or have multiple dogs, but if you don't have to feed it, I wouldn't.

A good place for you to start may be to switch to a grain free canned food. Their are some that are 96% meat and still balanced. Merrick and Wild Callings are a couple that make them.

Talk to the people in the store you buy the Now from and see what they have to offer. If they know their stuff, they can be of great help for your yeast problems.

If you've been feeding the same thing for 6 years, she could also be developing sensitivity to it. You should always rotate diets with different proteins. This creates a stronger digestive system and that's the heart of her immune system.

So that's the first thing I would do is switch her diet as soon as possible. Stop the chicken for now and give her some 95 or 96% canned lamb, rabbit, venison or similar.

Vets will usually prescribe antibiotics for yeast infections. The problem with this is that these antibiotics will kill off the good bacteria that is trying to fight the yeast infection. They do this because often there are secondary infections going on. This sounds like your case does have secondary infections.

The pearl probiotic may be good, just not familiar with them. You need to make sure you give them away from the antibiotics or they also will be destroyed. Try and give them 4 hours apart from any dose of antibiotics.

Animal Essentials makes a good product that we typically recommend. Theirs have enzymes and probiotics in one powder you just sprinkle on their food.

If you like the pearls, then just add enzymes. These are critical for any diet. They help breakdown the foods into small enough particles so they are easily absorbed through the small intestine.

Dogs get them naturally in a raw food diet but cooking foods will destroy enzymes. So the must be supplemented back into the diet.

I always tell people that adding enzymes and probiotics to their dogs diet is the number one thing you can do no matter what you feed.

We feed exclusively raw foods to our dogs and we still additional enzymes and probiotics just to give their digestive system that much more help.

When they don't get this supplemented, their own internal organs have to produce them to help digest foods. This is taxing on their organs as this was not intended to be their job.

A dog that's not digesting their food well enough will have many nutrients pass right through them. Leaving them nutrient deficient.

So make sure she is getting both these supplements. You might even give therapeutic doses of the probiotcs right now.

I would also start adding some salmon or cod liver oil to her diet. These give her extra omega's that she needs plus help to fight off free radicals.

I don't know if the hydrogen peroxide will help or not, I've never tried that. I think it would damage the skin if used expressively. We typically tell people to just use a good shampoo like Zymox and bathe weekly. I'm sure you've got some good products for shampooing. I don't know about the scraping, I've not heard of that being suggested before.

Turmeric is also a very good supplement. It is a naturally anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal herb. You can sprinkle turmeric powder on the skin to help calm and heal the skin. Coconut oil is also very good for the sore spots and her skin.

Doing most of the above mixed in with some of what you are currently doing should help fairly quickly. Once you stop feeding the yeast, the over abundance will die off and she will return to having the normal amounts.

If it is chronic, I'm sure your vet can get you some good anti-fungal medicine to give her for a time.

I know this has been a lot of information. If you would like to add anything or ask more questions about anything, please feel free to write back and we can talk more.

Best of luck to you both.

QUESTION: I was wondering if I stick with the pearls probiotic what brand of enzyme supplement do you think is best?I looked on the internet and see there are several kinds.
         thankyou Marcie

Hey Marcie,

Any all around enzyme for dogs or humans for that matter should be fine. Naturvet makes a good one we carry and we carry a couple from local health food stores. Visit your local pet food store and see what is most popular. If you have a favorite health food store for your own products, talk to them about a good one they carry for your dog.

I like the ones that are full spectrum so they will help digest different types of food.

Make sure if your probiotics need refrigerated that they are. Un-refrigerated probiotics will slowly die off and then become less effective.

Let me know if there is anything else,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.