Dogs/Senior Chihuahua

Hi, I have a senior chihuahua who is 10 years old. I'm honestly not sure what I should feed him nowadays. Some have said to cut out protein and give high fibers to him (because they say old dogs usually don't wanna take walks), but he's still active and we still take walks. I wanna know what food I should cook for him. I'll go to the grocery store and buy what I need. Money isn't the problem honestly. I am very desperate to know what I should feed my 10 year old chihuahua, so if you could help me out, my dog and I would appreciate it! ☺️ God bless.

Hi Brigette,

As dogs grow older, they DO NOT need less protein, they actually need more, higher quality protein to do good. 10 years old for a small dog is still very young. You must feed him good food and keep him active with walks to keep him healthy.

Too much fiber in a dogs diet will cause all the nutrient food to pass through him too fast and he will become nutrient deficient.

If you choose to buy and cook for him, you must follow very specific recipes for a dogs diet. People who do not follow a good, balanced recipe will typically have problems with their dog.

The best diet in the world for any dog is the raw food diet. This is how they were designed to eat and thrive on. Dogs were never meant to eat a cooked food diet, humans have just adapted it to them.

There are many good raw food for dogs manufacturers who produce commercially ready to eat meals that are raw and are balanced with bone and organ meat ground up in it. If it interest you, then learn more about it and you can transition him to it. I could help you with that if you want to find out more. Just let me know.

Next, there is a food manufacturer call My Perfect Pet Food. They produce a lightly cooked food that is very good and high quality. It's the next best thing to feeding a raw food diet.

You can find out more about them on their website here:

They come in bars and are frozen. You just thaw and keep some in your refrigerator and simply put some in his dish at meal time.

You can use their store locator to find the closest place to you that sells it. Or you can have it shipped to you.

The next best thing is a premium grain free canned food. There are many brands, look to the small independent pet food stores and not the big chain ones for help.

I would not recommend feeding him any dry foods. Even the best dry food is still the worst diet for any dog. And yours being a small dog, it will still be easy to buy for him a good raw or the lightly cooked foods.

Dry foods are just that, dry. Dogs are meat eaters and need a high moisture diet to keep their internal organs healthy. Dogs on a dry food only diet will live in a mild state of dehydration. They also have a much higher risk of developing cancer or kidney disease.

Next, and one of the most important things is to add a couple supplements to his food. Get a good enzyme and probiotic powder supplement to add to each meal. This is the best thing you can do for him no matter what you feed him.

A good one we use and sell in our store is from Animal Essentials. It contains both the enzymes and probiotics in one powder. These two supplements are critical for good health. These are found naturally in a dogs natural raw food diet. But when you cook food, these nutrients are destroyed. So you must add them back into the meal to make it complete. The lack of these two are the reasons so many dogs are filling up the vets offices.

Another good supplement is some type of fish or salmon oil daily. This will help keep his eyes and brain healthy. Again, find a good one in the small independent pet food stores.

That's basically it. Give him good, high quality and high protein foods with a couple of good supplements daily, change things up for him now and then, keep up the exercise and you will be doing the best things you can for him. The rest is up to nature.

If you should have any more questions, please feel free to write back and I'll try to help.

Best of luck,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.