Dogs/dog has been diagnosed with early kidney disease

Question
My 13 and a half old dog has had 3 urine tests which showed her to have high protein and in her urine and her vet has diagnosed her with early kidney disease.Her vet wants me to repeat the test in 2 months to make sure and if it comes back the same and then she wants to put on a drug called benazepril.I read about the drug and it doesn,t sound like something I would like my dog to start.Right now my dog is eatting well and does not seem ill but it appears her kidneys aren,t clearing properly.Do you know of any natural or homopathic remedys that might help her?Whoud a supplement like Azodyl or Epakitin help?The vet said that no change in diet would help her at this point which I don,t understand.Do you think a diet change might be beneficial?She is curtently eatting blue freedom senior which is 18% protein toppped with a little chicken.Any suggestions would be helpful as I care very much for this dog and want her to get better.I am trying to avoid starting her on the benazepril though because it sounds like it has to many side effects and might make things worse.
         thankou Marcie

Answer
Hi Marcie,

I understand your concerns, but I'm not a veterinarian, so I can't second guess why your vet prescribed Benazepril.
You could discuss this medication with your vet, and voice your concerns, You could also get a second opinion from another vet.

Were any blood tests run, and did you get the results of them? Creatinine is the most specific test for kidney disease. When creatinine is elevated above the normal range (usually about 1.6 mg/dL), this generally means that there is a problem with the kidneys. It does not tell you whether the problem is acute or chronic, or what the cause is, or whether it can be cured, but it is a sign that your dog is having kidney problems and action needs to be taken. In general, creatinine values up to about 2.0, is indicative of mild, or early stage, kidney disease.

Before beginning any supplements, you should discuss it with your vet.
For early stage kidney disease, fish oil supplements (body oil, NOT liver oil), at the rate of 1,000 mg (300 mg combined DHA and EPA) per 10 lbs of body weight, along with Vitamin E (50, 100 or 200 IU for small, medium and large dogs), and be sure to discontinue any Vitamin A and D supplements (including cod liver oil). Additional recommended supplements include a B-complex vitamin and CoQ10, which may be beneficial for dogs with kidney disease. If your dog's blood phosphorus level is above 4.5, you should give your dog a diet of moderate amounts of high quality proteins, moderate to high fat content, and low phosphorus carbohydrates. A dog with early stage kidney disease should be limited to no more than 0.6% phosphorus on a dry matter basis. Another way to figure it is, that you want to feed no more than 30 mg phosphorus per pound of your dog's body weight daily.
Read more about kidney disease diets for dogs, here:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/education/diets-pets-kidney-disease-31.htm

Regarding your dog's current diet of Blue Freedom senior,  I'm pretty sure Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Red Meat Recipe has lower protein and lower phosphorus. Two other dog foods to consider are Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, and Flint River Ranch DryWater Dog Food.
If you switch diets, do so gradually over a period of 5-7 days. You should probably stop adding the extra chicken at this time.
I've found that dog food manufacturers are happy to discuss the particulars of their products, you can call Blue Buffalo to confirm which of their diets has moderate protein and fat with low phosphorus. Their phone number is: 1 (800) 919-2833

This website has a list of commercial dog foods, and their phosphorus, protein and fat percentages:

http://raingoddess.com/dogfood/phos.html

If your dog really has kidney disease, not treating it correctly could have disastrous and dangerous consequences. If you'd be interested in consulting with a homeopathic veterinarian, you might be able to locate one here:

http://www.ahvma.org/

http://theavh.org/

Also, the AllExpert website has a few veterinarians on their expert list, you may want to write with your questions of Benazepril use.

Please feel free to write back if I can be of further help.
Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti