Dogs/flea allergy medicine

I have a rottweiller with a flea allergy and i would like to know the best product to treat this, preferably one i can buy online. Thank you.

Hi Laura,

Depending on the severity of the flea problem should determine how you treat it.

A couple of fleas here and there and on bedding, you can treat with a natural product like Sentry Natural Defense. You can get that online or in natural pet food stores. Here's an online store that sells it:

Another natural product that you can get online or in some local health stores is Diatomaceous Earth. A very fine powder that you sprinkle on him and rub in. You can get a food grade version that is safe for him to eat if he gets it in his mouth. The fleas walk through this fine powder that's on his skin and it sticks to them. They get dehydrated and die off.

If there are a lot of fleas, most natural products have a harder time keeping up. A good product that is safe from vets is Comfortis. There maybe a couple place you can order off the internet, I've never tried them.

Either way you need to combat fleas on all levels to be rid of them. While treating the dog, wash all bedding and clean any carpet areas that he travel on. You can use common boraxo for carpet areas. Just sprinkle it on and cover with a sheet so he does not walk through it. Wait for 24 hours then vacuum well. The boraxo will kill the fleas in carpet.

There are also other flea products to treat bedding and carpet. They are just a little more expensive. But you need to be very thorough in cleaning on daily basis. Fleas are tough to get rid of for good. You have to be very diligent with it.

The diet is very important as well. Keeping your dog on a healthy diet will keep odors down that attract fleas.

High moisture diet with very little dry foods and supplementing with enzymes, probiotics and fish oils are very important and help with the immune system that helps to keep allergies from happening.

This is my specialty on this forum so if you would like more information on his diet and supplements, please feel free to respond back with questions.

If you do, let me know everything that is in his diet right now, including treats. Let me know brand names so I can review ingredients.

A balanced diet will enable him to obtain his best immune system and that allows him to fight off allergies on his own.

Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.