Dogs/pit bulls

HiRoger, We live in the suburbs. Our neighbor's dog died and he tells me he is replacing it with a pit bull. Our small grand children visit us and play in our yard (no fences). We are very concerned because of what we read about unpervoked attacks and killings by these dogs. What is your take on this. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mike,

This is not my area of expertise on this forum but I'll give you my take on it.

There are many more good pit bulls then there are bad. With that being said, many are owned by not so good people who instill bad behavior in them. Of course you do hear about "thought to be good" ones that all the sudden turned on a kid or another dog for one reason or another.

I don't know how well you know your neighbor but I would express this concern with him for sure. He should keep any dog contained on his property pit or other.

You have every right to be concerned as you will not know the consistent behavior of this dog for some time. I would be extremely cautious of letting any kids play in my yard with a pit loose at a neighbors or around the area.

I think kids playing looks different to some dogs. They may view it as a fight or to instill a dominant or alpha member. That could trigger something inside them to attack or fight for dominance.

I would be talking with him and find out if he does get a pit, how is he going to contain it on his property. I'm sure he would not want any harm to come to any kid or other dog as well.

If he gets a pit and has no means of containing it and you can't get anywhere talking with him, I would contact Animal Control in your area and see if they can do anything.

Other than that, you would have to invest in a fenced area for the kids to play in.

Wish I could be of more help but there would just be no way of knowing how a pit or other dogs will react to the playing that kids do. I sure wouldn't want to chance it.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.