Dogs/dog

Question
QUESTION: ROGER WE'VE TALKED BEFORE YOU WERE EXTREMLY HELPFIL--MY DOG IS SHITSO MIX AND WE KEEP HIM WITH LONGER HAIR-HAVE WAY BETWEEN LONG AND SHORT-LATELY  AFTER COMBING POLLO AND AND REMOVING THE HAIR I NOTICED A THICK POWDER --WHAT MIGHT IT BE AND WHY HAVEN'T I NOTICED IT BEFORE AND SHOULD i BE DOING SOMETHING TO PREVENT THIS---THANKS--DON

ANSWER: Hi Don, glad to hear from you again.

It sounds like some dry, flaky skin and/or dandruff. If you are not seeing any infestation of fleas or other, then that is probably what it is.

Very common in warmer months. Just like our scalp dries out, so does a dogs.

If you are not already, give him a fish oil supplement every day. Use salmon or flax oil or give him a few sardines a couple times a week. Any good fish product will help.

When you or when you have someone bathe him, use a good skin conditioning type shampoo.

I don't remember what type of diet you have him on, but make sure you are giving mostly moist type foods. Canned, lightly cooked or a raw food diets are best. Keep dry food at a minimum if any. Dry foods have no moisture and very little nutritional value. They tend to dry out skin.

Give him some lamb now and then. It has extra EFA's in it. Get a good grain free canned lamb.

Make sure you are giving him enzymes and probiotics. These are the most crucial supplements you can give him.

If you are doing all or most of the above and he still is having dry flaky or powdery skin, you may have to see a vet to insure no underlying cause is present. Most likely not as we have seen this many times, especially in the summer time.

If you want to follow up on his diet or have any questions from what I talked about above, feel free to send me another message.

Roger

QUESTION: ROGER--THANKS FOR THE INFO--HOWEVER I SEE NO FLAKING IF IT WEREN'T FOR SEEING IT STUCK ON COMB I WOULDN'T NOTICED THERE WAS ANYTHING GOING ON.WE BEEN FEEDING HIM TASTE OF THE WILD-DRY--I ALSO GET A CAN OF NATURE BALANCE AND MAKE A GRAVY TO PUT OVER DRY FOOD--THANKS--DON

Answer
Hey Don,

Even a dry powder like what you described before can just be dried skin turning into a powder. I'm not sure what else would leave a dry powder on his skin. If it were some type of insect infestation, you would see other sings like continual scratching, redness, and more.

Taste of the Wild is a good grain free food. It is on the lower end of grain free foods and we do offer it in our store.

You could try switching to a different grain free dry to see if it is something in TOTW that is causing the issues. I've seen this happen many times.

One of the best dry foods we sell is called Natural & Delicious. You can find out more about it and where to buy in your area at this link: http://www.farmina.com/us/

If your budget allows it, get him over to canned only for a while to see if that clears up the skin. I would also switch up different proteins in the canned as well. Variety is always good. You never want to feed the same thing all the time. A dog could develop an allergy to that food if you do.

Make sure to add some type of fish supplement as previously discussed. Also, make sure to add the enzymes and probiotics. These alone could solve his issues.

A good one we use and sell in our store is from Animal Essentials. It is a plant based product that contains both enzymes and probiotics in one powder that you just sprinkle a little on each meal. It WILL make a difference and add to his longevity. You can find it on Amazon and usually in your local natural pet food store.

Let me know if there is anything else,

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey