Dogs/Sick Shih Tzu puppy

My puppy is 4 months old and has now vomited a couple times,is lethargic and is not eating/drinking as normal. What could it be? I am very worried.

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for contacting me about your sick puppy.  This could possibly be early stage Parvo, a life threatening illness that takes the lives of puppies in a very short time if not treated and even then it could be touch and go.  There are other things it could be but puppies are prone to Parvo.  I have no background information on your puppy regarding vaccinations etc but when a 4 month old puppy isn't eating and especially not drinking, this is a very bad sign.  A small dog who is not drinking can easily become dehydrated.  If you have some Coconut water or Pedialyte, put a teeny bit into his mouth and then rush your dog to emergency.  Many vets have emergency phone numbers.

Does your dog have diarrhea along with vomiting?

Sending wishes for the very best healing.

Shelley Davis

Shelley Davis

Cageless Country Boarding, Holistic Health Concerns, Behavorial Concerns.

Crusader in the founding of Dog Runs in NYC Parks, instrumental in changing the law in NY State which allows Pet Facilitate Therapy into Acute Care Hospitals, accomplished artist and craftsperson, certified by Red Cross in pet first aid, pioneer in Children Reading To Dogs program in Ulster Co. NY, founder of Bed & Biscuit:Where Dogs Run Free,