Dogs/The best dog for children?

Why small dogs are not good for children? Why maltese dogs not are good for children? What dogs are good for children?

Hi Micile,

Small, delicate, and potentially snappy dog breeds aren't usually recommended for small children (under the age of 10, or so) because they are a lot more delicate, and could get hurt if a child is less than gentle. In general, small dog breeds often do not tolerate small children.

That said, all dogs are individuals. If you are a parent, you need to evaluate the temperament of any sized dog you have (or want to get), and know the limits of what the dog (and child) will tolerate... and never ever leave your child unattended with the dog! Accidents can happen in a heartbeat!

The Maltese breed of dog is not suited to young children, no matter how well-meaning the child. Most Maltese feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making and stress (even defensive biting) may be the result.

There are a few smaller breeds of dog that are better suited to small children (but you still need to supervise both the dog and the child!):

Bichon Frise
Brussels Griffon
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Poodle (Toy & Miniature)
Tibetan Spaniel

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.