Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Lynn Houston

SubjectDate Asked
Service dogs6/7/2015
  Q: Is it possible to obtain a service dog for someone with Tourettees. If so how? I am diagnosed by a ...
  A: Each program has their own requirements and which types of disabilities they train dogs for. ...
chewing on feet occasionally4/15/2014
  Q: I have a 7 year old female Brittany Spaniel. I've noticed her chewing on her back feet and front ...
  A: As you suggested, it could be pain, but more likely allergies. It could also just be nerves. I am ...
I'm fed up8/7/2013
  Q: I just needed some advice. My dog is a Miniature Poodle (At least if I can remember correctly) He's ...
  A: DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A VET AND THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. Get him neutered (females are spayed). ...
Autism Assistance Dogs10/31/2012
  Q: How many autism assistance dogs are working within the USA? On an average how many are placed with ...
  A: The first is about 20,000 ppl are partnered with assistance dogs in the US. There is no ...
boxer/chihuahua mix9/26/2012
  Q: i have a two year old boxer/chihuahua mix dog(male)and i just want to know what you would recomend i ...
  A: How many times a day you feed him is up to you. Smaller dogs can often eat once a day. If your dog ...
Mini schnauzer 8 weeks crate training6/17/2012
  Q: We are training our mini in a crate - 1 hour in, pee and poop, 30 - 45 mins of playing back in the ...
  A: So, the first question is, why was he left unattended? ;-) If he pooped when you were playing with ...
Service Dog3/26/2011
  Q: Lynn! Can a Pit Bull be a service/assistance dog for a child/adult that has a disability, or are ...
  A: Pit Bulls can be service dogs, but why would you want one (unless you want everyone to stay away ...
Service Dog1/5/2011
  Q: My daughter, who has bi-polar disorder has a service dog who is recommended for use in behavior ...
  A: In order for the dog your daughter has to be called a service dog, two conditions must be met. One, ...
New Dog & my Cats6/30/2010
  Q: Two weeks ago I bought home from a shelter a beautiful Husky/Golden Retriever mix he loves people ...
  A: If you want to do this right, the cats are going to be locked up for a while. The best way is to ...
Caucasian sheperd dog6/6/2010
  Q: I just want to know until what age my dog still grow in size? moreover shall i feed him more than ...
  A: He's probably done growing, but could continue for another 2 months or so. He should definitely be ...
Jack Russell Training5/25/2010
  Q: My Jack Russell is 4 months old. We have managed to house train him so he does all his business ...
  A: The time outs don't have to be that long. After 20 mins, the dog has long forgotten why you left ...
introducing a new dog food5/6/2010
  Q: I have a 10 to 11 year old dog that I have been feeding the same dog food to called-MAINSTAY, and ...
  A: I have no knowledge of either brand (have actually never heard of either of them), but at 10-11 yr ...
spay4/7/2010
  Q: plz hlp. darla is my first dog. i desperately need financial help affording her spay(?) i can't find ...
  A: I don't know what state you're in, but there are low cost spay and neuter in almost every state. ...
Gorden Setter4/5/2010
  Q: I adopted a neutered Gorden Setter mix in Dec. from a shelter. (He was 1yr. last week). I have ...
  A: Part of the problem could be how long he was in the shelter and if he was house broken before going ...
seperation anxiety2/13/2010
  Q: I understand you not wanting to respond to medical questions. My question is more a concern for what ...
  A: A service dog is a dog that is TRAINED to mitigate a disability. A disability under the ADA is an ...
Housebreaking a Rescued Dog2/3/2010
  Q: I adopted an 18 month old peekapoo from an animal shelter about 6 months ago. "Princess", as we ...
  A: I would try crating her. Get her used to the crate, (just don't throw her in and lock the door) ;-) ...
how much to feed my puppy1/24/2010
  Q: I have a female Airedale Terrier who is six months old and weighs 50 lbs. She's happy, active, and ...
  A: It really depends on what food you're feeding your dog. A cheaper food will cost you less per bag, ...
Service dog tags1/22/2010
  Q: I heard that if you have a service dog tag for your pet that they will travel for free(on planes) is ...
  A: Yes, you have done something both legally and morally wrong. If you attempt to pass off your dog as ...
Dog Food12/16/2009
  Q: My Miniature Pinscher is 5 years old now. Should I be feeding him dog food once a day for the rest ...
  A: Once a day feeding is fine if your dog doesn't scarf his food (and smaller dogs generally don't). ...
puppy12/9/2009
  Q: 1. How do I keep my puppy or dog completely clean all the time, he keep dirty up my room? 2. What ...
  A: 1. You are never going to keep your dog clean all the time. It's a dog. Not sure what you mean by ...
female lab11/16/2009
  Q: We just adopted a rescued 8 week old female lab. We have never owned a female before and want to ...
  A: Keeping in mind, I have no medical training, I don't think the quality of the vet determines whether ...
apology11/11/2009
  Q: I apologize for my remarks.They were not intended for you.They were sent to a Madeline.She now shows ...
  A: The first question is, is her crate too big? It should only be big enough that she can go in, stand ...
Chewing on the carpet11/5/2009
  Q: Why is my month old maltioo suddenly chewing on the carpet?
  A: Don't know for sure, but it could be teething. Make sure you have plenty of appropriate things for ...
Therapy Dogs10/9/2009
  Q: I was wondering what it takes to get a dog into therapy work. Can you please explain to me, since I ...
  A: Contact either the Delta Society (deltasociety.org) or one of the TDIs (therapy dog inc or therapy ...
Afraid Puppy10/6/2009
  Q: My adorable 4 1/2 month old Australian Shepherd is so fun and playful and has the best personality, ...
  A: Well, the easy answer is, DON'T TAKE HIM TO THE PARK. The much longer and slower answer is, you ...
my pitt bull just started using the bathroom in the house8/22/2009
  Q: please help, my 8 year old pit bull just started using the bathroom in the house. She's never gone ...
  A: First thing to check with inappropriate elimination is medical. Have your dog checked by a vet to ...
dogs and cats8/21/2009
  Q: ..I was amazed when I read the ? about if a dog can be trained out of attacking cats...I would have ...
  A: Probably the best you can hope for is some desensitization, but I would never leave your dog and ...
2 1/2year old weeing8/20/2009
  Q: our dogue de bordeux is 2 1/2 years old and has stared to wee in our house ,
  A: First, take him/her to the vet to rule out any medical reasons (the most common reason). Second, ...
Messing in the wrong place...8/19/2009
  Q: I hope this isn't considered a medical question. We have 3 small dogs, 2 sausage dogs, 1 sausage dog ...
  A: The first thing to check when an otherwise house trained dog starts urinating in inappropriate place ...
puppy mill dog8/1/2009
  Q: 4 weeks ago i adopeted a 5yr old small cocker spaniel, she loves to run, i am still having problems ...
  A: Ok, look at it from the dog's point of view... she's having fun, but then when she does come to you ...
Empty Stomach7/27/2009
  Q: My dog has been to the vet and is going to be fine, but she hasn't eaten in 4 days. What should I ...
  A: Keeping in mind that I am not a vet and have no formal medical training... it is best to start with ...
12 year old lab7/25/2009
  Q: my lst & only dog samantha is a bit over 12...i am having difficulty knowing if it's time to ...
  A: This is just my opinion, because all we can ever do is hope we're making the right decision for our ...
dog food and treats7/24/2009
  Q: I just adopted a 3 year old border collie/lab mix. What quality food and treats can I give her ...
  A: Twice is pretty normal for a dog. I believe in order to achieve once a day, you'll need an ultra ...
dogs and fruit7/17/2009
  Q: What are all types of foods dogs can eat I know not grapes but in my kitchen I have Blackberries, ...
  A: From the following website, http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/toxic.htm Known Food Toxins To Dogs ...
Weaning Boxer Pup6/30/2009
  Q: We have got an appointment tomorrow for her to have a barium xray done - just wondered if anyone had ...
  A: Some dogs certainly have a harder time adjusting to solid food. You're doing the right things, ...
12 yr old Lab / Prince6/15/2009
  Q: I hope you can help me. I have a 12 yr old Lab named Prince. I love this dog dearly, and he has been ...
  A: First, I would change vets. Unless you're dog has other health problems that the vet is not telling ...
My Fox Terrier!6/7/2009
  Q: I would like to know how long does it take before my fox terrier will be house and crate train? He ...
  A: Unfortunately, you're doing all the right things. How big is the crate? If it's too big, he has ...
DHLPP shot5/2/2009
  Q: My yorkie is 10 y.o. and needs a DHLPP shot. Can you tell me: 1. how often he needs this shot and ...
  A: the VMA is recommending that shots are only needed every three years. I've read that animals over 7 ...
submissive urination5/2/2009
  Q: Ok I do not think this is a medical question but has to do with neutering your dog. I have a all ...
  A: I don't know about the neutering solving the problem... some ppl will claim it's a cure for ...
my pit puppy4/22/2009
  Q: i have a 4 week old pit and i want to know what would be tha best food to start him off on when hes ...
  A: I would check www.dogfoodanalysis.com for some brands that are in your budget. two best sites that ...
Pits4/7/2009
  Q: Should I let my 3 month old Pit sleep with me
  A: Depends on whether you want her to sleep with you when she's older and larger. If you do decide to ...
dog won't obey when called4/6/2009
  Q: My boyfriend recently (about 6 wks ago) took in a dog that a second (or third?) family gave away. ...
  A: For the dog's well being, she would definitely be better off with someone other than your boyfriend. ...
very fearful german shorthaired4/3/2009
  Q: I have a very fearful female German shorthaired pointer who is 2 1/2. Other than our immediate ...
  A: You can not "break" her of being afraid of the world. The best you can hope for is to desensitize ...
Undoing training mistakes4/2/2009
  Q: We have a 4 mo old poodle mix. We got her at 8 weeks. For the past 2 months we have done many ...
  A: Does she know how to "speak"? If not, teach her speak, then every time you're ready to take her ...
Deisel4/2/2009
  Q: Our dog Deisel is an English Mastiff. Someone tried to take him about a year and a half ago. Since ...
  A: You can't break him of it. If you correct him for lunging, he will stop, but eventually, he will ...
potty training yorkie3/28/2009
  Q: I am keeping my 8 week old male in a crate and when I let him out I take him to a potty pad ( it is ...
  A: This could be a medical issue and not a training issue. It sounds like he knows that he is supposed ...
My licking pee3/24/2009
  Q: We have a 5 month old Shitzu who is trained to pee on a puppy pad. She has started licking her on ...
  A: Don't know if it's normal (I'm not a vet, nor have any formal medical training), but the only way ...
Pooping in certain areas in house3/21/2009
  Q: My dog, a 2 year old Wheaton Terrier (neutered) has now begun to poop where her litter box was ...
  A: Animals can grieve loss just as humans. Make sure you clean the area with a commercial cleaner that ...
Asthma/Anxiety Service Dogs3/19/2009
  Q: I have a year old chihuahua mix that I was hoping to train as a service dog. I do feel that she is a ...
  A: Here are the "rules" regarding what makes a service dog a service dog. Do you have a disability as ...
Teaching my puppy to let me know when he has to use the bathroom3/16/2009
  Q: I have a 8 month old golden retriver, he is a pure breed with papers and he is very smart his ...
  A: Once your dog is completely housebroken (knows every time that he goes outside to go potty), then he ...
Cockerspaniels3/11/2009
  Q: I have two brother cockerspaniels that are 7 months old and we got them three months ago. They both ...
  A: Going to the vet is a good next step to rule out any medical condition that might be causing this. ...
inching3/10/2009
  Q: i have two rottis one is 5 and the other is 1 and they are scratching so bad they are making them ...
  A: If they don't have fleas or ticks, it sounds like an allergy. Try a food without wheat and with ...
weimaraner anxiety3/5/2009
  Q: i have a 2year old male weimaraner who has destroyed(eaten) a cage and can escape. when he escapes ...
  A: You can try two things St Johns Wort and/or DAP (dog appeasing pheromones). I don't have any ...
introducing an unsocialized dog2/24/2009
  Q: I have two well socialized dogs. One is a nine year old pitt bull mix and one is a 9 mos old border ...
  A: Just remember, when it comes to training, slow is fast. Start with the doxie at a distance where ...
measure dog food2/18/2009
  Q: I have a 2 month old cairn/yorkie male puppy he weights 3 lbs. I had asked a question before but ...
  A: Spoonfuls is not an accurate way to measure the food. If you want 3/4 of the can, weigh the full ...
will my dog mourn me?2/18/2009
  Q: I have a wonderful 7 year old dog that is very attached to me. I am considering finding him a new ...
  A: I think with as humans, it's different for every dog. Some dogs have terrible separation anxiety, ...
bathing2/18/2009
  Q: I have a 2 month old cairn/yorkie puppy and he is a little guy is he to young to bathe.
  A: No. Always better to start young and get them used to it. Make sure you use a dog shampoo (not ...
dogs2/16/2009
  Q: I just got a two year old beagle mix and i think he was in a crate most of the time, will it be ...
  A: There's an old saying... "you can't teach an old dog a new trick". Well, that's false! Does the ...
Back injury2/15/2009
  Q: My chihuahua went out late night and was spooked by an animal and apparently ran into something in ...
  A: I am not a vet and have no medical training (as stated in my profile), but I would think that you ...
Potty Training2/3/2009
  Q: I read your answers on Chihuahua potty training and do you have to create him or is restriction to ...
  A: Usually crating is better because a dog generally won't soil his living area, but if you give him an ...
My dog is peeing blood...2/3/2009
  Q: My dog is 6 years old and is potty trained, now all of a sudden he can't hold his pee and sometimes ...
  A: I have no vet training, but in general, you should never give your animal (or person for that ...
Chihuahua urine color2/1/2009
  Q: My Chi urinates in a lot of places. I noticed his urine is amber color, not red, but certainly ...
  A: Take him to the vet to get a urine test. He could have an infection, which could be causing him to ...
Diabetes1/26/2009
  Q: I have a 12 year old American Cocker Spaniel, she started taking predisone for her ears back in ...
  A: I have no medical training, what's below is my personal opinion. I just had another question about ...
Chihuahua1/25/2009
  Q: I have a very small dog chihuahua and I think someone has stepped on her leg or toe...she is holding ...
  A: You could try the splint for a couple of days. It could be broken without bones protruding and ...
Eye cataracts on dogs1/21/2009
  Q: my dog has cataracts on one eye and it looks as if the other might be on early stages also. other ...
  A: I have never heard the theory of pouring penicillin into the eye, but I doubt that would make any ...
older dog peeing in house1/19/2009
  Q: i have a shitzu he is 14 he has begun peeing upstairs on the carpeting. We got a new puppy in Sept ...
  A: First, get her checked out by a vet to make sure that it's nothing physical. Second, clean the ...
diabetic dog1/18/2009
  Q: hi my dog whiskey a westie 9 yrs has had diabetes for two years when he is well he is fit and well i ...
  A: You should get a glucose tester and start testing your dog's blood sugar levels. I had a diabetic ...
Is It Right?1/14/2009
  Q: My ex girlfriend and I bought a Siberian Husky and she was originally for me but now my ex is ...
  A: Sorry about your problems... I'm not an expert on dog behavior (just service dogs), but if your dog ...
Bad breath1/9/2009
  Q: My mini schnauzer Candace has very bad breath what can I give her to help this situation?
  A: I would recommend taking her to a vet for a dental exam. Bad breath can sometimes be an indicator ...
static electric shock from touching the dog1/3/2009
  Q: recently when someone touches the dog we get an electric shock from him, this morning his tail ...
  A: It's more likely that you are discharging static electricity that you have gathered yourself. I ...
Dog doesn't bark1/1/2009
  Q: Why doesn't my lab bark? I purchased my lab when she was only 12 weeks old, she is now 2 years and ...
  A: You can teach your dog to speak on command, but she still won't bark at ppl outside unless you also ...
DOBERMAN IS LICKING PADS12/27/2008
  Q: MY 20 MONTH OLD DOBIE HAS LICKED HER FRONT PADS RAW. I GUESS THEY ARE CALLED DEW CLAWS. THEY ARE UP ...
  A: Could be any number of things (none of which can be diagnosed over the internet). The pads could be ...
What dog is most compatible to a lab12/26/2008
  Q: I have a Chocolate lab that is 3 years old. I adopted here after she was abused when she was 1 1/2 ...
  A: Labs generally get along with anything, including cats and other animals. Give some consideration ...
chihauhau's aggressive behavior12/17/2008
  Q: Have a 1 year old and 9 mo old chi they get alone pretty well except when the 9 mo old wants to ...
  A: The obvious answer is, keep them separate when the younger one wants to sleep. If you want the slow ...
dog pee pee12/16/2008
  Q: What can i use to make my dogs quit pee pee on throw rugs and wood floor
  A: You need to house train your dog. In order to do that, when you cannot watch the dog (I mean, 100% ...
my shih tzu pees a lot12/12/2008
  Q: My shih tzu is 7 months old, i give him water and food twice per day, like at 12pm and then like at ...
  A: He may be marking. Is he neutered yet? That could take care of the problem. Make sure you clean ...
puppies12/9/2008
  Q: when my puppy gets excited to see someone she pees
  A: One, if she's just a puppy (say under 6 months), she will probably just grow out of it. Two, until ...
Best food for Chihuahuas and Pomeranians.12/4/2008
  Q: Is Eukanuba or Nature's Choice a good choice for a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian?
  A: I don't like Euk, but Nature's Choice I hear is a good food. Here's a website where you can compare ...
Maltese12/3/2008
  Q: We have a maltese dog Chloe who is female and will be 4 yrs old. we loved the breed so much we ...
  A: It's a good start. Testosterone will be cut down dramatically. Prior to Alvin getting fixed, if he ...
service dog in school11/28/2008
  Q: I have a 7 year old with down syndrome in public school system in Ohio. We recently obtained a ...
  A: For service dogs in schools, you need to get the dog written into the IEP. Also, check your state ...
new pet11/25/2008
  Q: a friend just gave me a chihuahua about 1 yr old female not spade ,she was nice enough to take her ...
  A: 1. I'd get her spayed (if you're short on funds, google "low cost spay neuter" and your state (eg ...
crate training11/13/2008
  Q: I have a 13week old yorkiepoo, i have had her for 4 weeks and have been crate training her. I go ...
  A: Your dog's bladder is probably only about 2 tbsps and she should be going out every 2 hrs. She ...
Pig Ears...11/6/2008
  Q: Are they safe for my 90lb LAB?
  A: I don't recommend them (nor cows hooves, nor rawhide). Dogs like them, but they don't digest well. ...
A sad and difficult death out of no where...11/1/2008
  Q: Trixie was my fourteen year old Boston Terrier. My Mom payed to have her Mother mated so she could ...
  A: I'm sorry for your lose, but, without having seen the dog, I can't even venture a guess as to what ...
Fleas!11/1/2008
  Q: Please help me!! My little yourkie has fleas and I don't kow how to get rid of them! I tried using ...
  A: The trouble is, once your dog gets fleas, if you bring your dog inside, you're house is now infested ...
house training10/26/2008
  Q: hi i have a 3 year old american bulldog she came to live with me 5 mths ago she has had at least two ...
  A: The last thing you want to do is rub her nose in it, because, as you said, it just makes her afraid ...
?10/24/2008
  Q: i have two pomeranians and a subject in my household is going to get a boxer. i just want to know if ...
  A: No telling beforehand, it depends on the individual dogs. It's like asking if an American and ...
my shihtzu10/21/2008
  Q: i have a shihtzu that is about 3 yrs old. he itches all the time i have tried stuff from the pet ...
  A: I am not a vet and have no medical training, but I just read of a dog who's "allergies" were caused ...
Service Dogs10/19/2008
  Q: At what age is it too late to train a dog as a service animal? Also, I am a disabled veteran and the ...
  A: The training process is one to two years, so you don't want to start with a dog too old or the ...
pom doesnt listen10/7/2008
  Q: my 5 month old pom had a broken leg about 2 months ago doing real good but now he does not listen to ...
  A: 5 months is still very young for a dog to be reliable in training. If he's not been getting any ...
My do is peeing everywhere but he's trained10/2/2008
  Q: I really hope you can help us. We have a 11/2 yr old Maltipoo, he's not fixed and for being our ...
  A: First thing is to take him to the vet to make sure there is nothing medically wrong. If he's ...
Feeding a Chihuahua?9/30/2008
  Q: I'm thinking of getting a 2-3y old female Chihuahua, And i have read, that it is better to feed 2-3 ...
  A: You are correct, 2-3 meals a day is better than one big one. With smaller dogs though, you can ...
Dog rushes at other people and dogs9/30/2008
  Q: Our staffie is 11 months old and pays no attention to us when other dogs are in the park. We have ...
  A: You can try socializing him. That means, slowly introducing him to other dogs. By that I mean, ...
Dogs and Toddler Toilet Training9/30/2008
  Q: My mother in law watches my toddler during the day. She has 2 grown dogs, 1 shepard and a shepard ...
  A: I have not heard of that either. If the dogs don't already mark, there's nothing to think that they ...
my dog bit me9/28/2008
  Q: my dog bit me and drew blood, what should i do
  A: A couple of things. 1) figure out WHY your dog bit you. What were you doing to it at the time? ...
HELP!9/25/2008
  Q: Please help me my dog, Roxie, she is a 4-5 year old sheltie (mini collie) and she has something ...
  A: I guess I'm confused... washing her with cold water is cruel, but killing her for having a skin ...
Shi Tzu Daschound Dogs9/25/2008
  Q: I am wondering what dogs get along with my Maltese Shitzu mix dog. I want either another maltese / ...
  A: It really depends more on the individual dogs, rather than the breeds. You're dog should get along ...
WHAT TO DO9/24/2008
  Q: Well yesterday my cousins and i tried to get the puppy from under the car but he was to scared to ...
  A: There are few diseases that can be transferred canine to human, but to transport, you should always ...
border collie has lumps near nipples9/21/2008
  Q: on, and around her nipples on either side. she has never had puppies -she was spayed. she also has ...
  A: If she can lick the area and you can't cover it in some way, then I wouldn't put anything on the ...
my ill puppy has underdevloped kidneys9/21/2008
  Q: own a gorgeous cav king cahrles named holly we had her since dec 07. alwasys been a happy healthy ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I had a cat with a congenital kidney problems. I don't have any ...
Dog vs. new kitten9/10/2008
  Q: I have had a corgi named Dixie for almost 3 years now. She is the sweetest thing ever! I have a ...
  A: I'm of the belief that they will work out their pecking order on their own. I wouldn't worry too ...
shitz shu puppy9/6/2008
  Q: we just got a puppy 9 weeks old and every time she poops she goes back to it to try to eat it what ...
  A: The medical term is Coprophagia and the best solution is one you won't like... go out with the dog ...
Adopted puppy9/3/2008
  Q: I really hope you can help us. We've just adopted a puppy from a local shelter(he's 5 m.o)he seems ...
  A: The best answer I can give you is, SLOWLY. If you have just adopted him, he has no idea yet what ...
lhasa apso strange behaviour8/28/2008
  Q: on occasion my lhasa apso will roll in feces! Is this abnormal behaviour? Please advise and I ...
  A: Nope, not abnormal. Dogs sometimes just like to find the smelliest thing they can and roll in it. ...
maledog marking8/27/2008
  Q: My 5 year old Maltese/bichon marks everything plastic bags cans my bed everything and he has been ...
  A: 1. is the dog altered? Neutering can sometimes stop this. But, if he's been doing it for a long ...
previous owner wants dog back8/25/2008
  Q: 6 months ago we were at a freinds house and one of their children came in and said does anyone want ...
  A: Considering you paid in pounds, I'm guessing you're not in the States as I am. Don't know about the ...
dog pas8/21/2008
  Q: i have a dog 1 year he has recently being picking at his front paw licking and biting it and with ...
  A: Check his paw really well to make sure he doesn't have anything in his pads or between his toes. He ...
chicken8/18/2008
  Q: Q1.I give my dog homemade boiled chicken, is this bad for my Chihuahua dog? Q2. Is Pedigree dog ...
  A: 1. Boiled chicken is not bad for your dog, just make sure there are no bones and that you don't ...
Black Lab might be sick8/18/2008
  Q: I have a male black lab around 7 yrs old His name is Bowser. His left eye is all gooeyed over and he ...
  A: If his eye is all gooeyed over, I'd definitely take him to the vet. It might be infected and you ...
My baby's spoting8/15/2008
  Q: my 8 month old pitbull is spoting or dripping blood rather and i was wondering if this causes her ...
  A: I don't know if there are any studies about dogs in heat and whether there is pain associated (like ...
springer spaniel8/14/2008
  Q: how often do you feed a 1year and 6month springer spaniel
  A: I'd recommend at least twice a day and 3 if s/he really gulps its food. Measure out a days worth ...
my dog is sick=[8/14/2008
  Q: Wel i have a chi. we got it like maybe 3 4weeks ago and the dogs is not eatin at al walks realy slow ...
  A: I would definitely take her to the vet. Did she recently get her shots, it could be reaction to ...
my dogs eat everything8/13/2008
  Q: I have 3 dogs. two pupies of 5 and 6 months and an older one of 2 years. they all are females. the ...
  A: There are a couple of solutions to your problem. One, is to not let your dog out of your site. ...
Embaressing dog problem8/10/2008
  Q: I recently inherited a 2 year old King Charles Spanial, he seems to get arroused very easily and if ...
  A: That's a male dog for you. Not much you can do, except not let him lick and when he get's excited, ...
yorkies8/6/2008
  Q: if you know of any please let me know. thank you very much.
  A: Sorry, I have never heard of any shelters that give away their animals. They all charge an adoption ...
my dog wont go potty at all !!!!8/5/2008
  Q: today is Tuesday and i adopted my dog on Thursday at about 6:00 pm she is two years old she is very ...
  A: If she only started eating on Sunday, she may just not have to go yet. Does she have ready access ...
Bringing a Bull Terrier puppy home with a 3 yr old cat.8/3/2008
  Q: my family has recently adopted a 3 yr old cat and we are about to have a bull terrier puppy come ...
  A: SLOWLY! Let the puppy live in the bathroom for a couple of days, only take it out to toilet, or if ...
Mating my female Maltese8/2/2008
  Q: We have two 6 months female puppies, from two separate litters. One is a toy Maltese and the other ...
  A: Unless you're ready to take in more puppies (there's no guarantees that you can sell or give away ...
mange7/30/2008
  Q: Yesterday, my boyfriend saw, in the vacant yard next door to our home, a full grown male fox that ...
  A: Yes, if it is indeed a hairless fox, I'd recommend calling animal control and, if it is mange that ...
min-pin7/28/2008
  Q: he looked posion off the floor what can i give him that will coat his stomach or what kind of steps ...
  A: You should really call the poison control center (888) 426-4435. Depending on the type of poison, ...
Dog that bites his butt7/16/2008
  Q: Have you ever heard of a Queensland healer that gets frustrated and goes after his butt. He growls ...
  A: Yes, sounds like he's bored. Make sure he has enough toys or attention to distract him. Break the ...
Dog going bathroom in house7/15/2008
  Q: I have a 8 month pomeranian who is very well behaved. Since we got him when he was 3 monthes old, he ...
  A: Sorry, but crating was going to be my suggestion. If you can't crate him or watch him during the ...
Arthritis7/13/2008
  Q: I know you don't do medical questions but I did want to ask you about any treatments and the like ...
  A: My 8yr old Lab is on Cosequin DS, a chewable tablet. Don't know if you've tried that one yet, but ...
charlie my dog7/12/2008
  Q: my dog has decide to wake up at 4:30Am every day for reason and bark at me until I get up. I take ...
  A: So, the question is, how did you TRAIN your dog to wake you up at 4:30am every morning?! He did it ...
Housetraining7/12/2008
  Q: I just adopted 2 little Dachshounds, a brother and sister.They are trained at home and go outside to ...
  A: I would recommend crating your dogs at your mom's initially and then go through the potty training ...
good puppy foods7/10/2008
  Q: I need the brand name of a good puppy food that I can purchase at my local pet supply store. I ...
  A: Congratulations on deciding to feed your dog a premium food! Here's an article from the Whole Dog ...
Can't housebreak 5-yr old male chihuahua7/10/2008
  Q: I have a 5 yr old male neutered chihuahua which I have had since he was 8 wks old. He is crate ...
  A: If it's a choice between your husband and the dog, I'd go with the dog. If you really want to keep ...
Housebroken dog poops on carpet when not home7/7/2008
  Q: I have a 5 month old maltese puppy who is puppy pad trained. he has been doing very well onthem. I ...
  A: You're not going to like the simple answer... don't give him access to that spot while you're gone. ...
flakey skin peel after antibiotics7/7/2008
  Q: Our baby of 14 years developed an internal infection that his vet can not answer he says,so ...
  A: Sorry, but if you read my profile before submitting a question, it CLEARLY states I have no medical ...
Stomack Virus???7/4/2008
  Q: I am in urgent need to find out what to do. Being the long weekend my vet is not at the office till ...
  A: I am not a vet, so none of what I write should be construed as medical advice. A few general ...
Horrible dog saddle7/4/2008
  Q: Please tell people about this saddle http://babyoka.co.uk/yeehar-doggy-saddle-top-new-product/p-1572 ...
  A: My guess is that they are not "temporarily out of stock" but that they never were in stock and the ...
dog7/2/2008
  Q: I HAVE A DOG THAT CANT WALK HIS FRONT TWO LEGS MOVE BUT THE BACK ONE DONT MOVE. HE IS NOT WINEING ...
  A: First and foremost, if you haven't been to the vet, I'd recommend finding out why. After that, if ...
My dog keeps eating grass6/23/2008
  Q: I just got a new dog a few days ago. To this point she hasn't eaten anything except a few treats ...
  A: I have to preface this answer with, I am NOT a vet and have no medical training, but from what I've ...
My Daschund sleeping alot lately?6/5/2008
  Q: My 1yr old daschud has been sleeping alot lately. Last month he was neutered and we also live in FL ...
  A: Average dog sleeps 20-22 hrs a day. I'm sure it's just the summer heat getting him down, especially ...
My dog's behavior6/5/2008
  Q: I have a chow/lab mix who is 9 1/2 yrs old. I also have an American bulldog who is 2 yrs old. They ...
  A: Humping is generally a dominance thing. No idea why it would have started all of a sudden. Did ...
Where to put my pup at night?6/5/2008
  Q: My family is planning on getting a young mastiff pup. The pup will have plenty of room during the ...
  A: The garage should be ok if you really have to, but make sure it doesn't get too hot or too cold. A ...
Razor burn6/4/2008
  Q: My dog name is Sami. I took her for her hair cut and got razor burn. It's on her neck by Adams' ...
  A: If you can't afford a vet, I would take Sami back to the groomer and show them the irritation and ...
10 years old dog limps on front leg5/29/2008
  Q: I have a 10 years old mut - lab, collie, sheppard mix. She is in great shape, 43ibs. I run with ...
  A: Keep in mind, I AM NOT A VET and this is NOT medical advice, however, I give my 8.5 yr old Lab ...
My 12yr old Chow-Chow5/28/2008
  Q: I have a 12yr old Chow-Chow whom has been in my life since i was about 5yrs old, recently we moved ...
  A: I would make a vet appointment immediately. They may have to drain the bladder with a needle. It ...
my shih tzu is acting bad5/27/2008
  Q: my puppy is biting, and when we take her outside we wait and wait and she does nothing, yet when we ...
  A: Go back to basic crate training, or block off an even smaller portion of your bathroom. You're dog ...
HOUSE TRAINING NEW 4MO PUPPY5/26/2008
  Q: WE JUST PICKED UP A PUPPY TO HELP AN ELDERLY LADY OUT. SHE COULD NOT TAKE CARE OF HER. THE PUP HAD ...
  A: I would recommend the usual house training methods. Take the pup out first thing in the morning, ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Lynn Houston

Top Expert on this page

I have had a service dog since 1988. I do numerous presentations a year to schools, businesses, local clubs and other organizations regarding regarding SDs and through a small non profit I own, provide information and referral.

There is no formal training for service dog education. I have 20 yrs of hands on experience and a necessity to learn the laws that apply to myself and my service dog.