Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Shawn

SubjectDate Asked
slugs nesting in my dog's fur6/10/2009
  Q: I have an American Eskimo, who loves to get dirty in our yard, and lay in all of my garden areas, ...
  A: Courtney- I fear what you are describing is maggots that have nested in your dogs matted fur- this ...
constipation6/10/2009
  Q: My 2 year old Yorkie has been constipated for the last two days. She pushes and pushes and can't ...
  A: Lolly- You can try canned pumpkin, just buy a can of pumpkin pie filler, add a little olive oil and ...
breeding english bulldogs6/10/2009
  Q: is it alright to breed a 6 yr old english bulldog that has had 3 litters?
  A: Kathy- How recent where these litters? How far apart where they? Is the dog in general good health? ...
Irregular heat cycle6/10/2009
  Q: My pug approx 3-4 yrs seems to be coming into heat every few months and bleeding for atleast a month ...
  A: A normal dogs cycle is ever 5-8 months, typically right at the 6 month mark, and they can bleed for ...
vitamins6/9/2009
  Q: My 11 month old English bulldog ate about 1/2 of a bottle of Flinstone Complete Childrens Vitamins. ...
  A: Katherine- I would keep an eye out for any adverse reactions to the medication- vomiting, shaking, ...
just wondering6/5/2009
  Q: If you can help me to close the book, it would be very helpful. I bought a male Rot puppy of 5 ...
  A: I am so sorry for your loss. It is of course difficult to make any kind of diagnosis without an ...
Roundworms6/3/2009
  Q: I understand that you are not a Vet, But Since You Do Have Some Experience In Vet School?, I was ...
  A: Cristina- No, roundworms need soil to survive for any period of time. I would continue to clean ...
trying to feed my dog6/3/2009
  Q: My Simba (female) is 14 yrs. Last week, started to back off eating; it looked to me that she was ...
  A: Darcia- Poor baby! I would suggest a mash- try warm baby food (turkey and rice is my favorite) ...
pomeranian biting paws6/3/2009
  Q: i have a 4 year old healthy pom- he gets groomed on a regular basis and i have not seen any flees on ...
  A: That certainly sounds like contact dermatitis. Try benedryl spray- you can pick it up at any CVS and ...
feeding6/2/2009
  Q: how much food should i give a 9 mo old german shepard?
  A: This depends entirely on the brand of food you are feeding and the condition of the dog (emaciated, ...
yorkie attitude6/2/2009
  Q: I have a yorkie, his name is Rocky. Rocky is 1 year & 8 months, I got him when he was 2 months. I ...
  A: What you are describing is extremely typical jealous behavior. He is guarding you from everyone ...
Food Allergies in a Russell Terrier6/2/2009
  Q: and treated her over the counter for them. After a few days, the "infestation" did not alleviate so ...
  A: Tracie- I am so sorry you are going through this, food allergies are the WORST. I highly suggest ...
Latley dog needs to go out at night6/2/2009
  Q: I have a golden retriever. For about a month now he has started to ask to go out in the middle of ...
  A: Tryo- Because this is a new situation, I would take him to the vet for a urinalysis just to rule ...
Antibiotics & probiotics6/2/2009
  Q: my 3 year old Chinese Crested girl is on antibiotics for a staph infection. She had very thick, ...
  A: Probiotics certainly wont HURT her, but its not a necessity either. Most people give probiotics ...
crab apples6/2/2009
  Q: My tiny chihuahua Rex (7lbs) just ate a crab apple for the first time. It was a very small one, ...
  A: yes, crab apples contain apple seeds which contain arsenic. One apple should not kill him, however ...
Papillon puppies4/13/2009
  Q: My bitch birthed 3 puppies just 5 days ago and they look strong and fat. But I noticed yesterday ...
  A: Susan- Its so interesting you asked me this question! I adopted a golden retriever who was born ...
Dogs and Bug Zappers4/13/2009
  Q: I have a 3-year-old shepherd/chow mix from our local humane society. It's only April and the area ...
  A: Any unusual object can cause fear when first introduced- a bug zapper has a very weird smell and ...
1 week puppies have sores4/13/2009
  Q: I have 11 pitbull cross puppies they are 1 week and 2 days old, three of the puppies have small ...
  A: Courtney- Seperating them wont help at this point- but I highly suggest getting them to the vet. If ...
2 chi brother question..4/13/2009
  Q: I have 2 chi's, brothers from same litter. They are 3.5 months old. One smaller (dominate one) then ...
  A: around 4 months is when males begin noticing bitches in heat- they may not understand whats going ...
My dog may be pregnant...4/13/2009
  Q: Our dog recently went into heat and we caught a German Shepard in the back yard the second day of ...
  A: Yes, you would be surprised how easily a very large dog can get a very small dog bred. They are very ...
strange behavior4/12/2009
  Q: Our border collie mix, 3 years old, has suddenly started a weird behavior. He can be completely ...
  A: Patty- I would certainly recomend a vet visit to find out if there is anything medically wrong with ...
Is cleaning of the Vulva area Ok4/12/2009
  Q: My female dog is currently being treated for a UTI by her vet. I am focused on prevention now. Is ...
  A: Believe it or not, this can actually do more harm then good :) I would not recomend cleaning the ...
dog behavior4/12/2009
  Q: I have a mixed breed dog. We think she is part lab. I don't understand what Mitzy wants when she ...
  A: This is just a dogs way of keeping their eye on you... its an adoration/protection/pack thing. She ...
bad vet?4/12/2009
  Q: I took my dog to the vet today 2 days after having puppies, she was breathing heavy and drinking ...
  A: Jessie- I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, I would certainly look for a new vet. I can not believe ...
worming4/11/2009
  Q: hi i have recently had a staffordshire bull terrier from a very irresponsible owner and he is a ...
  A: It depends on how under weight he is- if he is just a little under weight, I would go ahead and worm ...
Dog Groomer4/11/2009
  Q: I have two dogs, Taj and Dexter, and they are both Pomeranians. Whenever Dexter comes home from the ...
  A: Most likely, the groomer uses some sort of cologne/grooming spray/oil on him while grooming him that ...
Nuring papillion4/11/2009
  Q: My pappillion just had pups 3 days ago. She ahd 6. i have been feeding her puppy food and i boiled ...
  A: Congrats on the pups! Give her calves liver, just barely seared (warmed up but still raw) this is ...
cocker poo4/10/2009
  Q: 4/9 I noticed my dogs penise is extended & doesn't retract. It is 4/10 & it is still out. Is this ...
  A: Hopefully you have contacted a vet if it is still out, or have gotten an answer from someone else, ...
Pomeranian puppies need help4/9/2009
  Q: Last thursday someone kicked in my gate and stole my two pomeranians. We had babies on the 13th of ...
  A: I am so sorry to hear about their parents, I hope the culprit is caught soon and the parents ...
after care for Scrotal Ablation4/8/2009
  Q: I have a 2 1/2 year old golden retriever that I just had neutered. He developed an infection after ...
  A: No, just keep him as quiet as possible and keep that E-collar on. Watch for any swelling, heat, ...
diet for elderly dog with kidney disease4/8/2009
  Q: I have a 14 year old Cocker Spaniel who is slowly going through kidney failure (over a year now). ...
  A: Baby food is perfectly acceptable, and is often used in these cases. I recommend stage 1-2 turkey ...
my pug4/8/2009
  Q: My pug was bred by a red heeler is there to big of a size difference is she going to be ok to have ...
  A: Lisa- With a size difference that extreme, I HIGHLY suggest terminating the litter by spaying your ...
Female dog4/7/2009
  Q: I have a 3-year-old female beagle that was spayed almost two years ago. The past couple of weeks ...
  A: No, she would not be going into heat or having any part of her cycle while spayed, however, its ...
DOGS URINATING INSIDE4/7/2009
  Q: I have 2 male Basset hounds, They were both crate trained and did very well for the first 8 to 10 ...
  A: Janice- You answered your ownThey are not neutered. Unaltered males mark their territory, it is ...
puppies eyes opening4/6/2009
  Q: Does it make a difference if your puppy is the last one in the litter to open its eyes. my husband ...
  A: At 3.5 weeks, his eyes should be open already. It is not at all a problem for a puppy to be a few ...
Is my pet overweight?4/6/2009
  Q: I have a 2 year old Black Lab/Border Collie mix, we think. We adopted him when he was 4 months old, ...
  A: Nicole- I am unfamiler with Verus and could not tell you what is normal, however for kibble 2.5 ...
yorkie in need of help4/5/2009
  Q:
  A: I hope you have taken her to the vet by now- it sounds like it could be parvo. I hope she feels ...
Can Tobacco Effect Animals That Live With Smokers?4/4/2009
  Q: My name is Mary and I am 14 years old. I recently did a project on the effects tobacco use can have ...
  A: You are absolutely correct- second hand tobacco smoke has been proven to have disasterous results on ...
Mix breed dog w/ cough4/3/2009
  Q: I have a 3yr old mix breed male dog who has started coughing. He is very healthy, not over wt,and we ...
  A: Sounds like he has a little bit of a bordetella cold. If he isn't lethargic, isnt hacking up mucas ...
min pin ate a sock4/3/2009
  Q: my 2 yr old min pin ate a baby sock (o-3month old baby sock so fairly small) about 3 days ago he ...
  A: Amanda- If you are positive he hasn't passed it, yes I would be concerned- socks are completely ...
morning star problems4/3/2009
  Q: i have a problem on my dog his 3 years old and his been doing fine but for the past 3 weeks i see ...
  A: I'm sorry Romona, but the only advice I have is to go to the vet. It sounds like he either has a ...
How To Tell If My Dog Is Pregnant4/3/2009
  Q: My dog was left alone, while in heat, with a male. I am not sure if they locked. I have been told ...
  A: Cheyenne- No, dogs do not HAVE to tie to procreate, it certainly increases the chances of a ...
Beagles-mommy and son4/2/2009
  Q: I have a 1 1/2 year old female tri-color beagle who is the mother of my 3 1/2 month old male ...
  A: Technically, a male is able to breed as early as 14 weeks, meaning they are producing viable sperm. ...
Cysts on Puggles4/1/2009
  Q: My puggle has a cyst on the webbing of his paw. the vet gave me to options to remove it. 1. ...
  A: Elle- Yes, I would remove a cyst if in the webbing of the paw. It will most likely continue to grow ...
Why does my dog suddenly hate her crate4/1/2009
  Q: I have a 1 year old Portuguese Water Dog that has spent every night in her crate since she was 9 ...
  A: If she isn't having a problem with the crate at the cottage, then it only makes sense that for some ...
Pregnant 3 lb Yorkie3/31/2009
  Q: I am fairly certain that our 9 month teacup yorkie is pregnant by my daughter's chihuahua. We think ...
  A: Kelly- Yes, I would be highly concerned about her size. It is my opinion that it is INCREDIBLY ...
flea prevention3/31/2009
  Q: we have a nine week old boxer. i was just wondering at what age can we give him frontline flea ...
  A: I would not use frontline with a flea spray- flea sprays are more dangerous and the dog should be at ...
Pork Rib Bone3/31/2009
  Q: My boxer swallowed a whole pork rib bone - approx. 3.5" x .5". I induced vomiting, but no bone. He ...
  A: Jeanne- Was this a whole, cooked bone? Or a raw bone? If it was whole and cooked, the only thing ...
Collar vs Harness small dog3/30/2009
  Q: I just got two small mixed Chihuahua/Dachshunds from a rescue, a brother and sister, 8 months old. ...
  A: Yes, you can leave a harness on the dog all the time so long as it is properly tightened. With ...
My dog may have aborted her pups3/30/2009
  Q: I got this female for free at a dog kennel.She did not keep track of her older dogs so inturn ...
  A: If she was over the halfway mark then if she spontaniously aborted yes it is possible you would see ...
Momma Labradore not eating3/30/2009
  Q: My Lab gave birth to 2 pups by c-section last Thursday, one of the pups did not make it. The one pup ...
  A: At this point, I would offer her VERY iron rich soft food. Mothers are exhausted and much more ...
whelping3/30/2009
  Q: My friend's French Bulldog was bred by a male Rottweiler mix. Should she be worried?
  A: Yes, I would be extremly concerned. There is way too much of a size different, and frenchies already ...
male vs. female3/29/2009
  Q: I currently have a 10yr. old schnauzer/male and a 2yr. old female schnauzer. I am contemplating ...
  A: Because you have a mixed pack already, it shouldn't matter what you bring in UNLESS your male ...
new born puppies3/29/2009
  Q: i have a small toy chihuahua and she just had 3 new born puppies yesterday. the puppies are about 2 ...
  A: Leslie- You need to tube feed them. Unfortunatly, this can be very dangerous if you do not know ...
dog behavior after being nutuered3/29/2009
  Q: my dog is a little over a year we had him nutuered he used to play. and liked to go outside. i have ...
  A: Rhonda- Yes, he just had fairly major surgery. It will probably take a couple weeks for him to feel ...
dog vaccine3/29/2009
  Q: Can a dog have a reaction to the rabies or distemper vaccine? Can the reaction be excessive ...
  A: Yes, dogs can have reactions to rabies or distemper- excessive salivating indicates an upset stomach ...
handling a rottie inherited3/29/2009
  Q: Recently my brother passed away,living my mother a 120 pound rottwiler which she feeds and talks to. ...
  A: Robert: Here are some resources for you. I can not offer assistance with dominance problems or ...
14 + yr old husky w/sore on his face3/28/2009
  Q: My dog has a sore/tumor on the side of his face that started as a mole. I have been cleaning and ...
  A: Really, the only thing that you can do is put an E-collar on him so that he cant rub his head ...
male neutered female in heat3/27/2009
  Q: we recently moved in with a friend and he owns one of our female dogs puppies. he was neutered ...
  A: It takes several months before the hormones are deminished enough where the male will not want to ...
Studding out my pug3/27/2009
  Q: I am thinking of studding out my 13 mo. old pug. He is healthy (according to the vet; but haven't ...
  A: I do not agree with backyard breeding, indiscriminate breeding or breeding dogs that are not: ...
old dog3/26/2009
  Q: hi i have a rockweller her name is max she is 13yrs old i know she is losing her hearing but all of ...
  A: Toni- Is she eating out of a stainless steel dish? It may be that she is also loosing her vision ...
Sick 4 month old pitbull3/26/2009
  Q: I have a 4 month old pitbull with the first shots was fine until yesterday when she started vomiting ...
  A: Yessenia- A dog is not protected against parvo or distemper until they have had all three vaccines. ...
hot spots3/26/2009
  Q: Our great Dane has developed a hot spot that has grown quite large over a short period of time. He ...
  A: Unfortunatly, some dogs are just prone to hot spots. If this is his first one, I would not be too ...
min pin new mom3/26/2009
  Q: I have a 2 year old female miniature pinscher who has recently had a litter of puppies (mar 15th) ...
  A: Kim- This is very normal with new moms. They tend to forget their housetraining as they are too ...
puppy ears3/25/2009
  Q: I have a 6 month old maltese. Gave bath yeaterday and think he has an earache now. Poor thing keeps ...
  A: Its possible he has water in his ear. Does his ear smell bad, do you see any discharge, or is he ...
Female First heat3/25/2009
  Q: I have a female pug that is 7 months old. She is in her 9th day of lite bleeding. normal right?. She ...
  A: Summer, Im sorry, I SWORE I answered this but I must not have published it. Yes, this is ...
pigmentation3/25/2009
  Q: I've purchased a puppy,(picking her up on Wednesday). She is an almost solid white Italian Greyhound ...
  A: Congrats on your new puppy! Pink spotting on eyelining and nose is completely normal for solid or ...
male dog harrasing female dog3/25/2009
  Q: I have a male lasa and a female shiz-zu..( sorry if i spelled that wrong ) my female is in heat and ...
  A: Elly- I appologize this took me so long to respond to, I had thought I had answered it the day you ...
4 year old teacup yorkie is itching/biting constantly and her belly is red a raw.3/24/2009
  Q: scratching, and biting herself for about 3 or 4 days now. She seems miserable. I had given her a ...
  A: Using a dandruff shampoo was a mistake as it most likely seriously dried out her skin causing an ...
nursing moms tits3/24/2009
  Q: I have a one year old multi-poo. She had four puppies on Valentines Day. They are now five weeks ...
  A: Unless they are extremly hard, hot and painful to the touch, this is a normal part of her beginning ...
Pug breeding3/24/2009
  Q: I have an eight month old pug and want to get him a female friend, I can get him one at the same ...
  A: Melissa- It does not matter if you are breeding litter mates or not, you will be breeding two dogs ...
Yorkie3/23/2009
  Q: I have an 11 month old female Yorkie and an 8 month old male Yorkie. I didn't realize that my ...
  A: Im sorry this took so long to get to you, I thought I had answered it but apparently I didnt click ...
food3/22/2009
  Q: My 5 year old shihtzu has 2 bladder stones that are going to be removed on tuesday i was wondering ...
  A: Missy- I am NOT in anyway a fan of Science Diet, and CD has actually killed dogs before so I really ...
Many questions3/21/2009
  Q: I have a questions about the use of an E-collar and prong collar with regards to obedience puppy ...
  A: John- I do not agree with any corrective training. I do not agree with choke chains, pinch ...
I am confused3/21/2009
  Q: i had a lhasa apso who is one month and 6 days old. He is not feeling well and has loose motion and ...
  A: Empee- With no vaccine history I would be concerned with Parvo. When his stool was tested, did the ...
on heat3/21/2009
  Q: I have 2 dogs one male, one female. My femald dog is currently on heat and it is murder living in ...
  A: It is very normal for the male to constantly cry. He desperatly wants to breed her. There are sprays ...
Puppy Weight3/21/2009
  Q: I found a lab mix (we think) about 4 months ago. My vet guessed she was about 3 months then. I ...
  A: Brooks- A very active dog will burn caleries at a rapid weight- and unforunatly puppy chow does not ...
rectum red and swollen3/21/2009
  Q: I have bought a new 7wk old pug puppy. I got her on Wed and Thurs night I noticed she had a red and ...
  A: Trish- I would be concerned that the puppy has had very loose stools which may indicate a health ...
dog behavior3/20/2009
  Q: i just bought a 9 week old baby girl.. now she is all hyped up. i also have a 1 1/2 yr. old male.. ...
  A: Brian- Try to remember that this is your males house, and all of a sudden there is a new dog in HIS ...
Excessive Shedding3/20/2009
  Q: I have a bluetick hound/ beagle mix. She is 5 months old and is shedding a lot. When I bathe her ...
  A: What an adorable puppy. I highly suggest you switch her food. Purina puppy chow is filled with ...
my dogs rapid weight gain3/19/2009
  Q: I have a 9yr old springer spaniel who has had rapid weight gain in last couple of months, he has ...
  A: Neutering older dogs can certainly cause a weight gain, it is very common. What is he eating, and ...
my smelly foster dog:)3/19/2009
  Q: I have fostered close to 100 dogs, and have 4 of my own and I have never run across this situation. ...
  A: Is it a yeasty, moist smell? If so, its more likely to be allergie related. Dogs can't sweat of ...
Dachshund won't stop licking people.3/18/2009
  Q: I have a 6 year old dachshund. We got him when he was 2 years old from a small kennel while I was ...
  A: Emma- If he stops when you tell him to, you just answered your own question :) Don't let him do it! ...
caring for a malnutritioned dog.3/18/2009
  Q: I live in Nicaragua and have taken in a stray dog. She has a very kind demeanor, and has a good ...
  A: I am not sure what is available in Nicaragua, but I am going to list a recipie for what we in rescue ...
garlic3/18/2009
  Q: I have a 4 months old golden retriever puppy. And it seems that he loves eating very much. That's ...
  A: Yes, Garlic can be toxic to dogs. If your dog consumes the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of garlic for ...
Peeing in the hallway of our condo3/17/2009
  Q: I have a 5 month old St. Bernard puppy and we live in a condo building. I take my puppy out for pee ...
  A: Vik- He needs to be distracted away from this spot. As you start walking him, and you near the ...
Sweet Smelling Urine in Young Female Pug3/17/2009
  Q: I gave my pugs their monthly dose of Sentinel last night with dinner. I noticed later in the ...
  A: Urine that smells sugary can indicate a number of problems such as diabetes mellitus and acetonemia. ...
45 days old shih tzu trowing up and not eating3/17/2009
  Q: i got a shih tzu from a breeder. he was pretty active and playful when i met him at the store but ...
  A: Vana- 45 days is too young to be seperated from the mother- toy breeds should not be seperated until ...
Puppy feeding3/17/2009
  Q: My minpin is pregnant again and the last litter she pushed away completely. Within 2 days of birth, ...
  A: No, it is absolutely recomended to intervene. It is cruel not to. As the breeder of the puppies, you ...
My dog keeps jumping on my car!!!!3/16/2009
  Q: i am having a huge problem with our husky. she is about 4 years old now. she is locked up most of ...
  A: Walk her on a leash in the yard for the next few weeks- even a flexi lead or long extended leash. Do ...
Dog's hurt leg3/16/2009
  Q: Yesterday I let my 10 year old cocker spaniel, Casey, chase a cat off the front porch(which is one ...
  A: Hayden- Its possible that she just tore a ligament or gave herself a little extra joint pain while ...
bloodclots in urine3/16/2009
  Q: my 5 year old female is not spayed, has valley fever and on fluconasal. she had just finished her ...
  A: Josh- Yes, this sounds like a bladder infection or kidney infection or other UTI. It could also ...
Sick dog3/16/2009
  Q: We have been to the vet twice. Symptoms are....sore red eyes which she is keeping closed and ...
  A: It really sounds like allergies to me- possibly a food allergy as this really isn't the time of year ...
fever treatment3/15/2009
  Q: We have a Blue Heeler/rat terrier/chihuahua mix, only 14#'s. Just this morning she is listless and ...
  A: I am concerned that you are giving revolution to a heartworm positive dog? Am I reading that ...
Hit by car3/15/2009
  Q: My dog got hit by a car. Not bad just his back legs. I found a bump like thing on his back.. From ...
  A: Nicki- Unfortunatly I can't diagnose based upon that information- it could be an ulcer, hot spot, ...
Mucous in feces3/14/2009
  Q: I have a (almost) 2 year old beagle-bassett hound-pitbull female. We moved in the last few months, ...
  A: A little green mucus can be normal, a bit of anal sac secretions, a little bit of an upset stomach ...
No urination in 2 days3/14/2009
  Q: I have a 12 year old lab/collie mix. She was recently put on tramadol for arthritis and cephalexin ...
  A: I'm not aware of any side affects for tramadol, but cephalexin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that ...
starting a dog rescue3/14/2009
  Q: I'm looking to start a dog rescue, and will be filing paperwork soon. But, for now, I'm taking in ...
  A: This is a very controversial decision and many rescuers have fought tooth and nail over which dogs ...
Scrunching up the blanket3/14/2009
  Q: Why does any dog have the need to scrunch up the beds or blankets? Sometimes my yorkie-poo with ...
  A: This is just a way to fluff up her bed to make herself more comfortable :) It is an instinct that ...
Dog who stopped eating3/14/2009
  Q: I've got a 7 year old bull mastiff, whom I've had for almost a year now. Until I got him, he lived ...
  A: Julie- Unfortunatly you are right- he is being a stubborn child and there is only one thing you can ...
Heat question3/13/2009
  Q: I have a 2 yr old shih tzu and she gave birth last yr. We decided to keep a male dog from the ...
  A: He won't KEEP her in heat, but heat does not normaly last 2 weeks... in fact, once the bleeding ...
Eating habit changes in elderly dogs3/12/2009
  Q: I have a 15 1/2 American Eskimo. He is still in very good spirits. Just about 6 weeks ago he decided ...
  A: At his age, i would let him pick and choose his foods as long as they are good for him. The ...
Pug delivery3/12/2009
  Q: I have a pug that I just breed with my male pug, what will I need to do when she starts to deliver ...
  A: Denise- 1 our of 3 pugs need a c-section to deliver their pups as the heads are too big. Pugs are ...
dog constipation3/12/2009
  Q: I have a 10 year old lab/shar pei mix. She has just finished a 3 week round of antibiotic ...
  A: Hey there Laurie Yes, this can happen with antibiotics, its fairly common. Before you try any ...
kennel club3/11/2009
  Q: i have a rescue springer spaniel who almost 1year old. i did not get her from a rescue centre but i ...
  A: I would not suggest breeding a rescue dog- without knowledge of her pedigree, you would not know if ...
Dog bitten by another dog3/11/2009
  Q: Tonight my husband was walking our dog and another dog from the neighborhood was walking along the ...
  A: Did you find out if the other dog had their rabies shot? If not, this NEEDS to be reported. If the ...
dog3/10/2009
  Q: my dog had puppies yesterday and wont leave there side to use the bathroom what can i do
  A: Jennifer- This is normal, she is too protective to leave the puppies. Put a leash on her and pick ...
How soon Can I tell If my Beagle is pregnent?3/10/2009
  Q: I have 2 Beagles, 1 Male and 1 Female. The Female just finished her first heat a little over a week ...
  A: Nipples can remain taut for a few weeks after heat, totally normal :) In fact, its possible that she ...
My Beagle3/9/2009
  Q: Just wondering three things about my 13 month old female Beagle: First, she seems to be obsessed ...
  A: Michelle- I would be concerned that the two things are related- drinking lots of water, peeing a ...
My dogs tail.3/8/2009
  Q: I noticed today that my 4 year old Choc. Labrador's tail is hanging down, normally she greets me ...
  A: She may have injured a nerve ending in her tail (labs are pretty good about thwaking their tail into ...
Nursing Puppies3/8/2009
  Q: My poodle's puppies are 8 weeks old. They are nursing and also eating dry puppy food. Yesterday, ...
  A: Arthur- I have been showing and breeding dogs as well as doing rescue for 10 years. I have never ...
upset tummy3/7/2009
  Q: I own two 12 week old Pomeranians. They are both very happy, good appetite and do not have a ...
  A: I would suggest putting them strictly on a diet of plain cooked rice for a few days to help soak up ...
sick puppy3/7/2009
  Q: I bought a pit bull puppy today. he was suppose to be 8 weeks old, but I don't think so. I got him ...
  A: Glenda- Keep an eye on those poops, and make sure they dont get too soft. If they get black, tarry, ...
4 1/2 month old westie3/6/2009
  Q: My son just dropped an ibuprophen pill and my puppy ate it before we could get it will this hurt ...
  A: Ibuprophen can be very toxic to dogs, if it is a large dose. Do you know the dosage? The biggest ...
my border collie3/5/2009
  Q: Our 1-yr old border collie is healthy and happy except I notice a patchy thinning of fur around her ...
  A: Lorna- I would take her in for a skin scraping. Loosing fur around the eyes and mouth is classic ...
boxer3/5/2009
  Q: Hey I have a boxer that is 11 years old and she has been throwing up her food, and white foam...do ...
  A: Zack- There are many, many things that can cause a dog to vomit. Unfortunatly, there is no enough ...
My 3 year old female lab3/4/2009
  Q: My 3 year old female black lab keeps on peeing on my son's bed. She just doing this within the last ...
  A: Daniele- She needs to be kept away from this room. Put up a gate and do not allow her in your sons ...
Old german shorthair pointer3/4/2009
  Q: I have an extremely elderly female GSP. She'll be 18 in June of 2009. She still gets around, up and ...
  A: Congrats on 18! Thats amazing for a GSP. She is beautiful. Sleeping all the time is par for her ...
stiches3/4/2009
  Q: today is Tuesday and last Tuesday i had my dog spayed.she tore out 2 stitches so i took her back to ...
  A: Heather- I would not use any products not advised by your vet. If she pulled the staples out at in ...
food for dogs3/4/2009
  Q: Would you know if it is okay to add some foods to my dogs meals? They stopped being interested in ...
  A: Rice, ground meat, cottage cheese, eggs, etc are all perfectly healthy and can be added to their dry ...
female boxer3/3/2009
  Q: my female boxer had puppies a month ago but today when examining her i found a hard lump on her bob. ...
  A: Lady- This sounds like mastitis. She needs to see a vet to see if it is necessary to go on ...
New Terrier Belly Crawl3/3/2009
  Q: I have a 10 month old Terrier I just adopted. He looks a lot like a Jack Russell, but he is bigger. ...
  A: This is a very common and adorable belly scratch move. If you have carpet or some nice scratcy floor ...
Walking...not walking3/3/2009
  Q: As background... I am not a first timer, having owned an APBT and an Airedale. Both were smart and ...
  A: I'd suggest some distractive training for a while until he gets more comfortable with other dogs ...
Puppies3/3/2009
  Q: How many puppies are usually in a litter.
  A: Lauren- This depends greatly on the breed in question. For instance, a pug may only have 1-3 ...
great dane not eating much2/10/2009
  Q: my great dane just finished her heat, and her husband hit her so we are pretty sure she is pregnant, ...
  A: Everything up to the red eye is normal for morning sickness, which usually occurs at 10-20 days. ...
Breeding2/10/2009
  Q: My female boxer was in heat this past week and was tied with my male boxer, how do I really know if ...
  A: At 32 days you can take her for a palpation from the vet. Halfway through is the best time to get a ...
Under weight puppy2/9/2009
  Q: Okay so i just brought home a EXTREMELY under weight puppy shes maybe about 2 months old she is ...
  A: Brandi- Thank you for rescuing. I would offer her some canned pumpkin and a LOT of water to help ...
pit bull deliveries2/9/2009
  Q: my ? is my pit bull just had her first delivery of puppies. should we keep puppies with her or keep ...
  A: The mother and puppies should be inside in a whelping box with pig rails to prevent the mother from ...
my dog is not gaining weight like he should2/9/2009
  Q: I have a 5 month old red nose razor pitbull. When we got him he was a lot skinnier from being ...
  A: This is a recipie for satin balls, to help dogs gain weight. 5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat ...
urinating issue2/6/2009
  Q: we have had our 17 month old cavalier king charles, turk since he was a puppy. on advice we bought ...
  A: Yes, it is true that he will not know what he did wrong the next morning. In fact, unless you catch ...
Shelter dog's ancestry2/5/2009
  Q: I read your recent reply to a couple wondering about the ancestry of the shelter dog they adopted. ...
  A: Thats a beautiful red heeler (just another term for a red ACD) puppy you have there. She may be ...
breeding2/5/2009
  Q: my lab has bred with an irish setter ,do you think she will be ok whelping these puppies, being of ...
  A: While different breeds, dogs are all the same species, so unless there is a major size difference ...
dog pimples2/5/2009
  Q: i have a 3 yr old staffy that has only had 1 litter a year ago. i skipped another heat then ...
  A: Emo- There are a few different things that this could be. It could be just pimples, and will go ...
parvo2/5/2009
  Q: thinkng about buying a jack russells puppy he is 8 weeks old and all shots so far,we had a puppy and ...
  A: Kim- A dog is not protected against Parvo until they have had all three parvo vaccines. At 8 weeks, ...
Personality changes after heart disease2/4/2009
  Q: Our 9 year old active, obedient male yellow lab(138 lbs) was diagnosed with heart disease to the ...
  A: Unfortunatly, this is fairly common for dogs that are in late stage heart disease. They just don't ...
Dogs and Fleas2/4/2009
  Q: i am considering getting a pomeranian, but i am a little paranoid about fleas....how common is it ...
  A: Martha- If you live anywhere where the temperature isn't extremly cold, you have fleas in your ...
Dog Breed?2/4/2009
  Q: My fiance and I just adopted a 10 week old shelter puppy. We are very unsure of his breed and are ...
  A: While an Aussie/ACD mix is more common then a CLD, it's possible you found yourself a CLD or CLD ...
English Bulldog in Heat?2/4/2009
  Q: I think my 9 month old female bulldog may be heat. She has pooped 3 times and peed in the house this ...
  A: That certainly doesn't sound like any heat I have ever seen in my years of dog training! That sounds ...
siberian husky who needs to gain weight2/3/2009
  Q: hi i have a sibe who is about one recently she had a tummy bug which the vet treated with ...
  A: Hey Katie! I'd try satin balls for a while until she picks up the weight. here is the recipe: 5 ...
Dog Not Eating2/3/2009
  Q: I have a black lab/cocker spaniel mix and she has almost completelly stopped eating. She is still ...
  A: I also say give her some time, but I understand your nervousness. I would try a higher quality food ...
need help on something else now2/3/2009
  Q: although I am still grieving over my dog that I had wrote you about-Rebel- there is a problem I need ...
  A: Unfortunatly, I can not help you here. You need to contact a behavioralist, and FAST. There's ...
appetite stimulant2/2/2009
  Q: My 5 year old Kerry Blue Terrier has been diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma and was undergoing ...
  A: I am so sorry to hear about your kerry blue. Chemo really messes with their stomach and intestines, ...
airedale terrrier2/2/2009
  Q: My Airedale terrier, Omar, has a skin infection that my vet is treating with cyclosporine, when he ...
  A: Doug- It is very typical of a vet to want to treat the symptoms, and not the underlying problem. ...
dogs ear2/1/2009
  Q: i have a bull mastif he has been attacked by flies recently on his ears until they became raw i put ...
  A: This is a hematoma on the end of his ear, from shaking his head to get rid of the flies. It causes ...
Dog Food Help2/1/2009
  Q: I have two 3 year old Rottweilers. I have had them since they were 8 weeks old. I started them on ...
  A: Yes, the shortage with sensitive stomach/skin was terrible. No rice anywhere for dog food! Taste of ...
House training2/1/2009
  Q: I recently got a new puppy, she is about 7 weeks old, we have had for a week, and she is a yellow ...
  A: You have to stop letting her pooh in her crate :) Its hard, and really really pain staking, but you ...
Dog pooping on concrete2/1/2009
  Q: I have a Jackrussel x he is ten years old and desexed, and has a tendency to poop on the concrete of ...
  A: You can either block the area off, or build a small pen for him to pee/poop in and put him in the ...
need closure2/1/2009
  Q: I am needing closure of the recent death of my one year and two month old sheltie purebred. he was ...
  A: I am so sorry to hear about Rebel's death. It sounds like you were trying very hard to help him with ...
One month old puppies. (Feeding)1/31/2009
  Q: My puppies are constipated. They are only eating from the mother. The mother has had diaarrhea but ...
  A: Aretha- Try mixing some wet puppy food and warm goats milk, along with a few tablespoons of canned ...
training a one year old lab1/31/2009
  Q: I recently got a sweet one year old lab. she is rather submissive. I am fostering her from the local ...
  A: This is pretty common for dogs that are used to yards. Leashes are usually only used for fun walks ...
how long?1/30/2009
  Q: how much pale green discharge will there be before it turns to dark green?how long does the ...
  A: Im sorry for the delay! Maybe you already have babies!! We had a little family emergancy and I ...
Mating male dog exhibiting aggressive behaviour towards visitors in the house1/29/2009
  Q: I have a male Pit Bull Terrier who has mated with a female dog for the first time recently. He has ...
  A: This is NOT typical for a male after mating, but it can happen, it's an example of extreme hormonal ...
Diet1/29/2009
  Q: I would like to cook for my dog, how can I make a balanced diet, with the right nutrients for my ...
  A: Angelica- I am sure that your PWD would appreciate a raw and natural diet. I suggest RMB diet, ...
Puppy teething1/29/2009
  Q: My PWD puppy has a white small hard lump on the hinge of his jaw, looks like he might have bitten ...
  A: I would keep an eye on it, but not panic yet. If he is teething, this is probably a tooth coming in. ...
My dogs skin1/28/2009
  Q: I have been told to use gold bond powder on dog which is burnese mountain dog and german shepard ...
  A: Jenae- Cortizone cream may help, as well as just benedryl, which always is a good suggestion for ...
mini dauhhound1/28/2009
  Q: My dog of 9 months seems to have knots on her lower stomack. My 3 year old dog does not. She seems ...
  A: When you say knots on her stomach, do you mean lumps outside the skin, or lumps under the skin? How ...
registering a dog1/28/2009
  Q: How do I get papers on a dog that was given to me with no papers?
  A: Kathy- Do you know what registry the parents are registered at? Is this a puppy, or an adult dog? ...
how do labrador/dachsund act?1/28/2009
  Q: i just adopted a puppy its a male his first breed is labrador and second breed is dachsund but i ...
  A: I would feed him as a medium sized puppy, so if he is a young puppy, 1 cup of food twice a day. ...
poms1/27/2009
  Q: can I breed my mother pom with her son?
  A: If they are not at all related other then mother/son (meaning, the mother and father were not ...
puppy bite marks on head of puppy1/26/2009
  Q: I have a puppy from a litter of 9 blue weimaraners and on his head are several marks left over from ...
  A: In rescue, we use Prepheration H (just, regular Prep H from the drug store) on scars. It works ...
Reddish Pink discharge from penis1/26/2009
  Q: My one year old intact male boxer has reddish pink creamy discharge dripping from his penis. I see ...
  A: Jon- If its just a small ammount, this is completely normal discharge, just part of being a boy. ...
excessive paw licking and paw biting/holding1/26/2009
  Q: I have a 3000 dollar mutt. 2 0r 3 years ago I woke up and he was standing at the window holding his ...
  A: I myself have had a "million dollar mutt" LOL, I know the feeling! Walking with the paw in his ...
shih tzu1/26/2009
  Q: can i put frontline on my shih tzu after two week of her giving birth
  A: Mary- No, I would not, as it can get in the puppies mouth and eyes and also into her milk, which ...
Dog licking1/25/2009
  Q: My yorkie-poo is currently 2 1/2 yrs old. We noticed about 2 months ago that he has been ...
  A: Yes, constant licking of the nose could indicate allergies as the dog is trying to clear its nasal ...
dog mating1/25/2009
  Q: i mated my female shihtzu twice and both times they have tied,the 2nd time was a couple of days ago ...
  A: Cathie- Yes, a little blood after tieing is normal. I would try for a third tying, even if she is a ...
pitbull release1/25/2009
  Q: I saw a case where a man's pitbull attacked another man's dog (a good sized mutt) and between the ...
  A: Linda- They make pepper spray for dogs. ...
The Eyes of a Boxer1/25/2009
  Q: My question is concerning the small area (maybe the third eyelid area?) on the inside of a Boxers ...
  A: There is nothing in the standard that advises against whites in the eye (and that IS in the standard ...
Car Sickness1/24/2009
  Q: I have an 8 month old Boston Terrier (Riley). I have such a problem with him getting into the car. ...
  A: Unfortunatly, I am of the same mind as the vet. A low grade tranq would make things a lot easier for ...
concerned about my female yorkie1/24/2009
  Q: Can there be a test giving to a female yorkie that is pregnant to make sure it is pregnant from my ...
  A: Brian- No, there is no way to know until the puppies are born, and even then there is no way to be ...
My dog won't eat1/24/2009
  Q: We adopted a Beagle from another family who no longer could keep her around two months back. She is ...
  A: I highly recomend hand feeding her at this point. Try to make the food seem like the most ...
health1/23/2009
  Q: I have a 6-month old female yorkie she is only about 4-5lbs. She is like my baby, i spoil her ...
  A: Trish- She is being protective of you, as she can sense the anger and rising emotions in the room, ...
2.5 y.o. English Bull dog1/23/2009
  Q: We have Gunny, our 2.5 year old Bulldog, not neutered, who has taking up urinating in the house ...
  A: Well, males do, and will mark, and he is getting at the right age for him to begin marking his ...
Hurt jack russell1/22/2009
  Q: A friends two dog were running in the yard playing and all of a sudden the jack russell yelped and ...
  A: It's possible she bruised herself, or yes, sprained a tendon or muscle. If you can move her leg in ...
whimpering dog1/22/2009
  Q: I have a douchound which is 4 years old that we rescued from a shelter, very cool dog. However, ...
  A: Aleks- I wouldn't spray with a water bottle, this usually has no effect. The key is to ignore her. ...
very sick/dying Jack Russell1/22/2009
  Q: I have a Jack Russell who is probably 10 years old. Last night she went missing, and our other dog ...
  A: Krystal- She needs to go to the vet, either to be stabalized or euthenized. She is indeed dying, ...
my shih zhu colby1/22/2009
  Q: i just recently noticed my dog has a big bump on his lower back right about his bum and im not sure ...
  A: Ashley- If it is painful, it needs to be looked at by a vet. There is unfortunatly no way for me to ...
vaccination illness1/21/2009
  Q: Our puppy had her first vaccination yesterday and now she is really lethargic and off her food. I ...
  A: Simon- Yes, this can be normal. Just monitor it to make sure it doesnt get worse. If you notice ...
I work graveyard shifts and im planning on gettin a puppy how would it affect her1/21/2009
  Q: I work graveyard shift at my work and im planning on getting a Rat Terrier puppy. I know dogs are ...
  A: I work nights, and my four dogs have all gotten used to it. Its a little harder to sleep sometimes ...
long coat or smooth coat?1/21/2009
  Q: I bought a chihuahua from a ckc registered breeder in dec. he was 10 weeks old and was sold to me ...
  A: Ladonna- If he has any feathering at all, he's considered a long coat. Bad breeding can result in ...
demodex.....1/19/2009
  Q: i have a 3yr old bulldog with demodex....for the most part i have it under control with medicated ...
  A: Its interesting that the demodex is flaring back up so much when he is an adult. Adults dogs should ...
aggressive behavior after a neutering1/19/2009
  Q: On December 17, 2008 I found a homeless dog in Mexico living on the beach begging for food from ...
  A: He can still smell the bitch in heat, and vividly remembers that this is the spot where he last ...
Boxer attacked by pittbull1/19/2009
  Q: My sister brought me their neighborhood boxer after it got attacked by a pitbull. He had a few deep ...
  A: Ashleigh- If they are clean, not too deep and not ripped, then leave them open and continue with ...
Heeling1/19/2009
  Q: I am begining to train my lab to heel properly quite franky after trying a head halter/body ...
  A: Unfortunatly, I have no magic word for you :(. Walking three dogs at once is VERY hard, even well ...
min pin1/19/2009
  Q: I have a minature pincher. I just noticed today that the left side of his face is all swollen. I try ...
  A: Keri- If he is in that much pain that he is striking at you as you move to touch it, he needs to be ...
potential adoption of dog1/19/2009
  Q: My family and I found a dog at an animal shelter that we are interested in adopting. They estimate ...
  A: Yes, giving birth recently can make it harder for her to hold it. Usually about 6 months after the ...
english pointer1/18/2009
  Q: My 9 y/o english pointer has been having trouble hopping up on the bed the last couple of weeks. ...
  A: With his age, and the time of year (winter being the most common time symptoms show up) I would ...
my dog and her pups1/18/2009
  Q: my dog had pups 5 days ago and she was being a really good mom and then i noticed a large lump on ...
  A: Billiejo- Please seperate the mother from the puppies, and tube/bottle feed the puppies. The mother ...
What should be the minimum age for a Rat Terrier to breed1/18/2009
  Q: I am planning on getting a male and female Rat Terrier puppies and have them breed when they are ...
  A: Ashley- I'm sorry, I thought I answered this but it must not have posted. A dog will go into heat ...
anxeity in Dogs1/18/2009
  Q: i am looking after a friend of my moms parents dog for 3 weeks while they go to Florida. i am not ...
  A: Rebecca- It is most likely that she was never housetrained. Dogs are naturally "latrine" animals ...
mother dog personality after first litter1/17/2009
  Q: my dog had first litter of 9 puppies..she done like playing anymore and her food intake is less than ...
  A: Kim- I would be concerned that she retained a placenta or has pyometra as she has just recently ...
"Cat Feces" eating dogs!1/17/2009
  Q: I have a 1 year old Bassett Hound that eats cat feces. Per my vet, I have purchased vitamins in ...
  A: Quite honestly, dogs eating "kittie krunchies" is very common. I don't know very many dogs in fact ...
my dog not eating1/17/2009
  Q: on Tuesday my dog got lost back in the woods for a whole day and found her way home. she seemed ...
  A: Frances- I am glad you got her back home! Try hand feeding her something like boiled chicken and ...
Change in climate with senior labrador.1/17/2009
  Q: I have a 10 year old labrador female who is still somewhat energetic and enjoys a good quality of ...
  A: The climate change would not be dangerous to her well being unless she has heart disease or is very ...
barking dog1/16/2009
  Q: I recently found an abandoned dog and decided to give her a home. She is a great dog but has severe ...
  A: Dee- Yes, leaving her in for short periods and ONLY taking her out when she is being silent and ...
rhodesian ridgeback menstral cycles1/16/2009
  Q: I have a RR that is 2 weeks shy of her first b-day. We thought she was cycling in Oct but our male ...
  A: Yes, RRs only come into season once a year, but when is up to your bitch. They are all on their own ...
goldren retriever1/16/2009
  Q: r shaved as it has been really hot and when he was running around his testicles really stood out. we ...
  A: Ky- If this is a change from your dogs usual testicle size (IE he didn't develop incorrectly with ...
Daschound blindness and over weight1/16/2009
  Q: We saved Scooter from the pound about 3 years ago. They think he was about 2 yrs then. He was quite ...
  A: Chuck- No, this is not normal for any breed unfortunatly. It is of course possible your dachshund ...
Dashound itching1/16/2009
  Q: We have a female Dachshund.She is a long hair and is between five to eight years old.She is very ...
  A: It sounds like she is really having some allergies, but unfortunatly I don't have enough information ...
Pure bred- Brat1/16/2009
  Q: I have a pure bred(with papers) Labrador she is 1 year and 5 months old. Her Grandfather is a ESPN ...
  A: Well... welcome to the world of labs. Have you seen Marley and me? You have a Marley! There are two ...
Breeding age of St.Bernard Males1/15/2009
  Q: We have a 8 month old St.Bernard male weighting approximately 115 lbs is he potent to breed females ...
  A: Males can breed as early as 4 months, however that doesn't necessarily mean they should! I highly ...
St. Bernards1/15/2009
  Q: We are interested in a two year old male St. Bernard that needs a good home. I have read everything ...
  A: With a little patience, all dogs can be trained at any age. The old stand by "You cant teach an old ...
hot nose1/15/2009
  Q: I was writing to you with another question before. Rex, our new dog wont eat. Now I have another ...
  A: Kathi- I wouldn't be too concerned about the warm nose, as it is most likely from the temperature ...
My new dog does not eat1/15/2009
  Q: Since Tuesday we have a new family member. His name is Rex and he is a 5 1/2 years old Mix between ...
  A: Well, it sounds like if he doesnt eat his dog food then he gets yummy delicious table scraps!!! ...
bald spots and smelly ears1/15/2009
  Q: My son brought me home his dog, a sharpei, to "dogsit" for a couple weeks. I am concerned because ...
  A: Shelly- It doesn't sound like mange, it sounds like a very bad yeast infection, which sharpeis are ...
sick puppy1/15/2009
  Q: I think my puppy ate something she should not have. She has diarrea and is not eating and is only ...
  A: Michele- How old is this puppy? has she had all three vaccines against parvo? When very young ...
broken jaw1/14/2009
  Q: my workplace has a puppy and a dog, his mother. The puppy is about a month old or 2 and just had a ...
  A: Silvia- You need to call your local animal control authorities IMMEDIATLY. It is a crime for anyone ...
dog runs head first into trash can1/14/2009
  Q: I have a 6 month old Italian Greyhound. While running and playing with another dog at the dog park, ...
  A: IGs have remarkably resiliant heads. Its their tails you have to watch out for, LOL! It sounds like ...
Play/Biting Neck1/14/2009
  Q: We have two Boston Terriers: Bully is 4 yrs old and we just bought Petey who is 3 mos. I am ...
  A: Yes, this is a normal behavior, but I would discourage it gently if petey starts yelping (maybe ...
peeing1/13/2009
  Q: I have an 11 month rescue border collie and german shepard. She has adusted very well. She is very ...
  A: First thing is a vet visit to check for a urinary tract infection, or kidney infection. If that ...
12 year old beagle - nipple growth1/13/2009
  Q: One of the nipples on our 12 year old female spayed, very active, beagle has grown quite a bit and ...
  A: Karen- Bacterial mastitis would be my first thought, if it is hard or hot as well as hanging low. ...
Benedryl for dogs1/13/2009
  Q: I gave my 13 lb. dog 25 mg of Benedryl and now found out that is double the recommended dose. Will ...
  A: Cynthia- It is double the dose, and I would expect her to be very lethargic, and may have some ...
fumes in garage harmful for dog?1/13/2009
  Q: We keep our Golden Retriever in the garage in a kennel at night, and during the day while we are at ...
  A: Marla- Yes, kerosene fumes are just as harmful to dogs as they are to humans, and infact much more ...
bald spot1/12/2009
  Q: hey, i have a ten week old Boston terrier.. and i noticed she has a bald spot on her tail! should i ...
  A: Mands- A bald spot could be from her itching at her tail, which would explain the butt-dragging as ...
best diet for boston terrier puppy1/12/2009
  Q: i adopted two boston terrier puppies (spayed & neutered) from a woman who says she's a rescue. she ...
  A: Michelle- If I were wanting to build the best immune system possible, I would want to use a high ...
vomiting puppy1/11/2009
  Q: I have a seven month old female Yorkie puppy. she just got threw her first menstrual cycle around 3 ...
  A: Aleyda- Was she bred? Vomiting after breeding is fairly common. Ideally, if she is vomitting ...
Pudgey Pom1/11/2009
  Q: We got a baby Pom three years ago, and she was just as cute as a bug's ear. Well, she was being fed ...
  A: You can tell if your dog is overweight by using the body conditioning scale. Here is a copy: ...
Miniature Schnauzer ears1/10/2009
  Q: My family wants to buy a mini schnauzer (we had a very beloved one but she died two months ago). We ...
  A: I have come to find that puppies often grow into their ears :) The AKC standard for uncropped ears ...
deaf bitch breeding1/10/2009
  Q: i have a deaf bitch dalmatian, she was due to be spayed in January but during her last season she ...
  A: Sarah- I can't believe your vet wouldn't perform a spay, and a mis-mate shot is useless that far ...
min schnauzer fur changing colour1/10/2009
  Q: should we be worried do you think?
  A: Schnauzers tend to have slight color changes as they grow, and the change in the climate is most ...
Puppy Vomiting1/10/2009
  Q: We have a 14 week old American Staffy/American Bulldog, she vomited about 7 hours ago and then in ...
  A: Pippa- A young puppy vomiting, lethargic, not eating or drinking... is a primse canidate for a ...
My Shar Pei1/9/2009
  Q: My 4-5 mths old shar pei has been having some vomiting symptoms. She does not get to vomit but it ...
  A: Bethzy- That sounds more like inspiratory paroxysmal respiration instead of actually trying to ...
My dog is eating cat litter1/9/2009
  Q: I have a 6 month old Toy Chi. We are trying to litter box train him. However, he doesn't like the ...
  A: If you are interested in trying a different litter, try Yesterday's News. Its a recycled litter for ...
Please help!!!!!!!1/9/2009
  Q: Please help! I have a 9 wk old puupy who got his 1st shots and dewormer last week and he seemed to ...
  A: Maria- a 9 week old puppy that has diarrhea, is lethargic, and isn't eating or drinking, is a prime ...
skin care1/8/2009
  Q: Could you please suggest a product or skin care routine to help clear up pimples and blackheads on ...
  A: We used noxema pads with great success on our show dogs. Also, use a good moisturizing lotion ...
pain during BM/ 5 yr shitzu1/8/2009
  Q: 5 yr old female shitzu. She was yelping during her BMs and obviously was hurting while pooping. ...
  A: 1) Yes, she could have impacted anal glands that need to be cleared, or given an antibiotic to help ...
end stage of canine kidney disease1/8/2009
  Q: My 4 year old dog has kidney disease....her numbers are going higher and higher, although she is ...
  A: Gail- Crashing is a term used by vets/rescue workers to mean a multitude of different things. Some ...
Dog pees when crated1/8/2009
  Q: We adopted a dog about 8 months ago and we believe he should be about a year old in 1 month. Since ...
  A: Sara- Try a belly band. If its marking behavior, a belly band will effectively solve it. You can ...
house breaking a 3 year old shitzu1/7/2009
  Q: I have a 3 year old shitzu that is extremely hard to house break. We have tried various things ...
  A: Jessica- She needs to be crated when you are not there, and watched like a hawk while you are ...
my cancer dog1/7/2009
  Q: can I give my dog garlic on his mouth tumour to kill it. Will this be safe for my cocker spaniel?
  A: Absolutely not- garlic is EXTREMLY dangerous to dogs. You are more likely to kill your dog then the ...
High Protein Diets1/7/2009
  Q: I have a 3 year old German Shepherd Dog that I rescued 8 months ago. He is exhibiting allergy ...
  A: Well 9/10 that allergy is to grain. Most dogs can't stomach it at all. It would be a much rarer ...
Dog Vomiting/refusal to eat1/7/2009
  Q: My 3 year old wheaten terrier has been vomiting for three days after eating our christmas tree and ...
  A: Hayley- Give him the antinausea medication, its designed for an empty and turbulent stomach. Once ...
17 year old chihuahua mix1/6/2009
  Q: i have a Chihuahua mix who is about to turn 17. me and my family are torn about what to. She is ...
  A: Dakota- No one can tell you when to let a beloved family member go. That is only your decision. ...
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Snorting1/6/2009
  Q: My 8 1/2 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever was snorting most of the night and acted like he couldn't ...
  A: Lisa- Not hearing or seeing it, I couldn't be sure, but it sounds like you are describing ...
My pit bull terrior is pregnant1/5/2009
  Q: My pit is, or was due, what I thought to be by the 15 or 21 of this month. She had been staying ...
  A: Janice- Yes, its possible that she is in the first stages of labor. Did you witness the tying and ...
bruise on hind leg1/5/2009
  Q: i noticed yesterday one of my yorkies has what looks like a black and blue on his back left leg(knee ...
  A: Its possible that he was bruised by the groomer, or maybe dinged it while he was playing. I would ...
DEFECATION1/5/2009
  Q: :) We have a Bullmastiff and he is a wonderful pet, playful with the kids and fed with dry food ...
  A: Well, at this point its time to go back to square 1 for potty training. He should be crated when you ...
will she take care of the pups1/5/2009
  Q: i was wondering my mom has recently got a female boxer who has already had one litter of pups. and ...
  A: Michael- Unfortunatly, there is no way to know. She may not have taken care of them because the ...
Nursing shih tzu mom and angel eyes1/5/2009
  Q: I took in a shih tzu about 6 weeks ago..the man said the dog was spayed and had her shots. She was ...
  A: My goodness! I would certainly look for another vet if he couldn't tell a dog halfway through her ...
flakes in fur1/4/2009
  Q: my jack russell, 7 yrs old, has a lot of white flakes in her fur and is licking her legs a lot.
  A: It sounds like she is having either an A) Allergic reaction B) very dry skin with dandruff C) bad ...
excessive shedding1/4/2009
  Q: I have a 10 month old fawn female pug. She seems to be shedding more than normal right now. When I ...
  A: Pugs are year round shedders that constantly shed their guardhairs when they die out. So there isn't ...
Pet pulling out hair1/4/2009
  Q: My golden has just started pulling his hair out the same spot on both sides. On the sides stomach ...
  A: While there are a number of reasons that pets can pull at their hair, the most common is irritation ...
My two year old female pomeranian is peeing in her kennel/bed1/4/2009
  Q: My female dog is constantly peeing in her kennel. She will be 2 years old soon and she is ...
  A: Yes, it sounds like she is marking her territory. Males aren't the only ones who think that way ;) ...
Westie with blue eyes1/4/2009
  Q: I'm not certain you'll be able to answer, but here goes. We just received a westie puppy that our ...
  A: Dymond- I could help with breed identification if I had a picture and some more details on his ...
Mixed border collie and pitbull puppy1/3/2009
  Q: I HAVE A 3 MONTH OLD BORDER COLLIE AND PITBULL PUPPY. I WAS WONDERING I FEED HIM CANNED FOOD. BUT ...
  A: Well, puppy chow is pretty much nothing but corn husks and sugar. Its a complete waste of a food, ...
cocker spaniel1/3/2009
  Q: how long will my cocker spaniel be in season for how long will she bleed for and when do i have to ...
  A: Most likely she will be in season for around a month, bleeding to some extent the entire time. The ...
Dogs in heat.1/3/2009
  Q: My female cairn is in her first heat and my young male is going nuts. I don't want to neuter until I ...
  A: Llean- Try putting a diaper on your bitch with a bit of vicks vapor rub on the outside of the ...
brown eye discharge1/3/2009
  Q: we have a 5 month old havaneese, she is white and everyday we are constatly cleaning brown stains ...
  A: Yes, those are tear stains.They are normal for small dogs, and particularly show on white dogs. It ...
heat cycle1/3/2009
  Q: My puppy is showing signs of a bladder infection frequent urination, straining to go). While ...
  A: No, I would think that this is more indicitive of a bladder or kidney infection, or even stones. If ...
false pregnancy1/3/2009
  Q: My dachshund is 3 years old and today we took her to the vet because she is having another false ...
  A: I am sorry to hear you are having this problem, and that your girl is in pain. First of all, let me ...
Skin rash and possible treatments or remedies1/3/2009
  Q: I have a young female Labrador, she is almost 5 moths old and has been dewormed and had all of her ...
  A: I would suggest taking your puppy into the vet to check for a yeast infection, or possibly a serious ...
Rescued puppies1/3/2009
  Q: We have rescued two Jack Russell looking pups. Both came to me hungry, frightened, and thin. ...
  A: I'm glad they are in better hands. It may be that they have a mild urinary tract infection and that ...
Chihuahua agreesive/scared around other places & people1/2/2009
  Q: I read a previous question someone posted about their nervous Chi and how she would act around ...
  A: First of all, thank you for giving him the chance to change and learn how to adapt into his pack, ...
leaking urine when sleeping1/2/2009
  Q: I have a 7-1/2 week old Affenpinscher that leaks urine almost constantly. It is especially ...
  A: Congratulations on your new puppy! I love affenpinschers. I always want to squish their little ...
shih tzu with lazy tail1/2/2009
  Q: I just adopted an 8 year old shih tzu who's tail isn't curled up over his back. I have trimmed the ...
  A: It is actually more likely from poor or indiscriminate breeding. A sloppy or low set tail is a ...
pit bull dog1/2/2009
  Q: My pit bull just had puppies about 5 weeks ago we started to wean the puppies late last week. Just ...
  A: Brandy- No, this is not normal at all, and could be indicitave of pyometra. (Among other things, ...
Rat terrier retching1/2/2009
  Q: Over the past four hours, my 3 year-old rat terrier has been retching, but the retching is not ...
  A: He definitely sounds very nauseous. The chewing, salivating and eating grass are all signs of a very ...
Dogs in mourning1/1/2009
  Q: I purchases a brother and sister from the same litter about 18 months ago and they have been ...
  A: I'm so sorry for your loss. The best thing to do for your boy right now is to just keep an eye on ...
eye contour discoloration1/1/2009
  Q: I own a 6 year old, 24 pound, mixed breed (golden / mini-colley)since she was 3 months old. I ...
  A: It is completely normal for the "eyeliner" to come and go, especially in golden mixes. Some goldens ...
TWO MALE PITBULLS, WILL THEY EVER GET ALONG?1/1/2009
  Q: I am hoping and praying that you will be able to give me some type of guidance on my situation. I ...
  A: Rhiannon- Unfortunately, in this situation I would be very surprised if the two of them were ever ...
Shiba inu in heat1/1/2009
  Q: I have a shiba inu almost one year old. I think she is in heat. she has blood coming out of her ...
  A: If your shiba inu has never been in heat and has not been spayed, then yes, certainly she could be ...
breeding1/1/2009
  Q: I would like to know at what age a male dog can breed. We have a 2yr old female Doxie and a 4 mth ...
  A: Generally, we say that it is not safe to breed a male before they are at least 2 years old, as that ...
Worms11/8/2008
  Q: My 17 week old Doberman Pup just began heaving and then threw up a whole stomach full of food. I ...
  A: It sounds like a roundworm, very common for puppies. In fact, all puppies have roundworms that they ...
10 year old beagle--is he too old to neuter?11/8/2008
  Q: I recently adopted a 10 year old intact ex-stud dog from the breeder. In your experience with ...
  A: If his heart is in good condition, he is absolutely able to be neutered! I would recommend having ...
overweight dachshund11/8/2008
  Q: I have a 4 year old dachshund that has really packed on the pounds lately. He was recently neutered ...
  A: It is pretty normal for a recently neutered dog to gain weight. The hormone change really helps them ...
Puppy poo11/7/2008
  Q: I am puppy sitting my neighbors 12 week old pit bull. She pooped in the house and when I was picking ...
  A: If it was red, it sounds more like she may have eaten something in their yard or perhaps it was part ...
Dog keeps eating unauthorised food11/7/2008
  Q: I see you can answer questions about diet, we have a GSD male who is continuously after random food. ...
  A: Sorry this took so long to get back to you, allexperts took my "on vacation" status down a little ...
swollen nipple11/6/2008
  Q: I have a 12-14 year old Dashund mix approx. 30lbs. who has 1 swollen nipple. Brought her to the ...
  A: Have you tried warm compresses with epson salt? sometimes with mastitis a nice hot compress with a ...
dog socialization11/6/2008
  Q: I have a ten month old basset hound, I got her when she was two months old from her litter. I live ...
  A: Heidi- She may be slipping a bit if she is not having constant interaction. I would take her ...
weight gain11/6/2008
  Q: ihave showdogs "pitbulls" i am trying to get them to pick up weight what can i give them?
  A: Elvita- Depending on how much weight they need to gain, you can do everything from adding an extra ...
welts on my lab11/6/2008
  Q: I have a chocolate lab, Charlie, that is almost 2 years old and is a little over 100lbs (he is not ...
  A: Sorry this took so long to get back to you, it took my "On vacation" status off four days early! ...
Fearful Rescue Dog11/6/2008
  Q: I would like some advice/tips on how to help a rescue dog I'm adopting overcome his fear. He is a ...
itchy paws11/6/2008
  Q: I have a minpin 3 yrs. old. He's been licking and chewing on his left paw for days now and I noticed ...
  A: Sorry this took so long to get back to you, it took my "On vacation" status off four days early! I ...
severly sick puppy----family member10/4/2008
  Q: my 6 week old pitt puppy has severs diareah and is vomiting. he wont eat or drink. iam giving him ...
  A: Debbie- Sounds like classic parvo- Get him to a vet ASAP. giving him oral fluids wont help as he is ...
Bloody Dog Stool10/4/2008
  Q: My dog is a large breed and is almost a year old and just today he had a small amount of blood at ...
  A: Catherine- Small amounts of blood or mucus (the bloody lining) in stool (especially in particularly ...
Rotti w/ itches10/4/2008
  Q: I have a 5 year old Rotti who is always itching. He has no fleas and it's only in certain areas. ...
  A: Tina- You can offer him benedryl to ease his itching. 1mg/10 LBS of body weight in severe cases. I ...
healthy diet for canines10/4/2008
  Q: I just recently lost two of my beautiful dogs to the exact same cancer within 2 months of each ...
  A: Pamela- I would investigate the vaccines, as I suggest to everyone. I am of the opinion that we ...
Crate training at night10/4/2008
  Q: I have a 8 almost 9 month old beautiful 10 lb Pomeranian. She is doing great with her house ...
  A: Denise- I completely understand. I am going through this with my 12 month old puppy as well. Some ...
unexplained behavior change10/3/2008
  Q: Shawn I have a three year old male black lab. 5 days ago on Sunday he was playing ball in the yard ...
  A: Mike- It's possible that he is having small seizures, which is frightening him. It is common after ...
animal feces10/3/2008
  Q: Shawn- I live in a apartment and the lady living across the hall from me has many different animals ...
  A: Amber- The smell alone should not cause problems, you need to come into direct contact with feces ...
I think my dog is in labor10/2/2008
  Q: Well this morning when i woke up my dog was in her whelping box and she's usually been sleeping in ...
  A: Ashley- Yep! Sounds like stage 1. Watch that shaking, she should start contractions soon. It will ...
Scabs on the neck from playing10/2/2008
  Q: Shawn My name is Sakura. I have 2 years old rottie-shepard mix. She loves wrestling with other ...
  A: sakura- I would definitely shave it and take a look. If it doesnt appear raised, red, tender, or ...
english bulldog 10 months old10/2/2008
  Q: my english bulldog drips urine while he sleeps. i have had his urine checked and it comes back ...
  A: Brent- I would try a bellyband to help with the dripping. they are available in all sizes online. ...
pugs vomiting and loose stools10/2/2008
  Q: I have two pugs and have two questions, hope you don't mind. My 5 year old rescue pug named Toby ...
  A: Eva- Thanks for the questions, and don't worry about asking two at the same time! I would be a ...
lip sore10/2/2008
  Q: I noticed that our dog has a sore on the outside of his upper left lip. can I use peroxide on it, it ...
  A: Nancy- Is it a sore, puncture, blister or cut? If you are seeing infection, I would go ahead and ...
Diabetes Symptoms/Treatment10/2/2008
  Q: Shawn, perhaps with 2 yrs of vet school under your belt, you can counsel me. My 17-yr-old ...
  A: Candace- Increased thirst, gaining weight, rear leg weakness, and increased urination are all ...
old dog crying and whimpering10/1/2008
  Q: I have nineteen year old male mixed breed (Golden,Collie,Great Peranese)He has some problems ...
  A: Bob- Crying and whining while remaining sedentary usually indicates internal pain. Most likely, ...
false pregnancy10/1/2008
  Q: our border terrier is having her third false pregnancy one of her nipples has sunken in and is sore ...
  A: It sounds like she may have an impacted mamory gland. I would use a warm compress to help reduce the ...
Behavior in my Shetland Sheepdog10/1/2008
  Q: We recently got a shetland sheepdog which is 1 year old. She was bred in Alabama to be a show dog ...
  A: What kind of show breeder was this? Were the dogs house dogs with a lot of attention, or were there ...
My dog oscar10/1/2008
  Q: I have a 2year old male maltese shitsu dog. But I'm really worried about him he looks sick but I'm ...
  A: Ione- I am not sure I understand all your questions, but it sounds like your dog appears ill, is ...
puppy gas10/1/2008
  Q: I have a 4 month old Lab Rotweiller mix who has awfull gas. He is fed Innova large breed puppy food ...
  A: Sarah- Awful gas is just one of those side effects of feeding high quality meat based food. Stinky! ...
Feeding my 10 week shepard puppy10/1/2008
  Q: my pup is 10 weeks old and weighs 20 lbs.Ive been feeding him 3 times a day 3 cups of nutro puppy ...
  A: Tim- At 10 weeks old, 3 cups of food is plenty. I assume you mean Nutro max large breed which is a ...
My Dog is Disorientated and Stumbles9/30/2008
  Q: My Dog (mixed breed) stumbles and becomes disorientated - she can't jump up (ie onto the bed) it ...
  A: Diane- It sounds like seizures, or a possible stroke. How often does she do this? What is she doing ...
The things a puppy will eat.9/30/2008
  Q: I have 2 male pug puppies and they are always eating everything. If one of them ate a slug would it ...
  A: Angie- Yes, a slug can make a puppy sick. If they can stomach it !! If they are able to swallow it ...
hives or whelps9/30/2008
  Q: not sure what they are but my 6month old boxer had a spot the size of a half dollar this after noon ...
  A: Dani- It could be poison ivy, hives, or insect bites. Is he itching or in pain? does he have any ...
Feeding a chihuahua9/30/2008
  Q: I have a one year old chihuahua. He is extremely picky and does not eat too much. I also have a ...
  A: Kimberly- You can prepare their foods if you choose from BARF and RAW diet menus. I suggest the ...
puking puppy9/30/2008
  Q: My ig pup is about 8 months old and is throwing up. It was almost once a day so I switched his dog ...
  A: Letheragy and vomiting are serious signs and unfortunatly, could be symptoms of about a hundred ...
Golden Retriever Puppy9/29/2008
  Q: I have a 6 month old Golden... She is adorable and playful and smart as can be. Unfortunately, she ...
  A: Annie- I am very surprised the vet told you that black pigmentation is a sign of infection on a ...
dogs urine9/29/2008
  Q: My dog's urine appears dark to me....should her urine be clear like a persons? Thank you in advance ...
  A: Tina- Your dogs urine will be darker if they are not drinking a lot of water. Normal urine is ...
anuls9/29/2008
  Q: i have a jack russell terrier, she is dragging her bum on the floor, i have had her to the vet who ...
  A: You may want to call your vet and ask if the pill was Drontal, or if it was something else like a ...
Puppies9/29/2008
  Q: My dog has just had 2 puppies yesterday, she is a 3 1/2 year old Shih Tzu. She was wonderful while ...
  A: Joanna- Now is time for you to step in. You have to be mamma. You have to feed every hour, keep ...
Our Male Maltese is having some problems.9/29/2008
  Q: About 5 years ago, we purchased a Maltese puppy. Basil was bought from a breeder who, as we later ...
  A: Dee- Is Basil neutered? I would be concerned that that is your main problem, if he is not. An ...
Loose bowels9/28/2008
  Q: I have a 1 year old female black lab. She has had a problem with loose bowels (not liquid) for the ...
  A: Allie- Is she still on the medication? what medication was it? Rice and chicken is a great way to ...
dog eating hair9/28/2008
  Q: My 8 month old Papillon puppy constantly eats hairs, ones that have fallen on the couch and on the ...
  A: Leigh- Honestly, it probably just is his own personal little quirk! I wouldn't worry about it too ...
Is it normal after breeding?9/28/2008
  Q: I have a 14 month old Purebred Border Collie and i recently used him as a stud for the first time. ...
  A: Brittany- Yes, that is normal. Now that he has been bred, he is going to constantly, constantly ...
Min Pin Heat Cycle9/28/2008
  Q: I adopted a stray Min Pin I was wondering about how old is a Min Pin when they no longer have a heat ...
  A: Tommie- This is entirely dependent on the individual, just like in humans. She could continue to ...
help for a intestinal issues9/28/2008
  Q: I asked you a quesgen about my new pup Riley about a month ago and you were very helpful,thanks, i ...
  A: I believe what the person was describing was bacterial hemmoratic gastroenteritis. It's essentially ...
Figs and dogs9/20/2008
  Q: Could you please tell me if figs are poisonous in dogs? I have a fig tree growing in my yard and my ...
  A: Sharon- I have not heard anything about fig fruit being dangerous, although Weeping Fig trees are ...
whining9/20/2008
  Q: i have a 3 month old mulpoo (multese and poodle) i put him in his carrier at bedtime he whines ...
  A: Joyce- Have you tried covering his crate at night? The best suggestions I can give you are ...
puppies9/19/2008
  Q: but she is still licking the mucus off from her behind. what does this mean? i thought she was ...
  A: Brittany- Do you know that she is finished whelping? Did she have an x-ray ahead of time to verify ...
pugs9/19/2008
  Q: I have heard recently that pugs can have problems delivering their puppies. I'm afraid of a ...
  A: Lisa- Yes, I have heard of problems whelping pugs. Pugs have larger heads, which makes for ...
worms9/19/2008
  Q: My pitbull is about 8 months now he has had all the necessary shots and deworming. Today we ...
  A: Vanessa- Usually its just safest to go to the vet and get a de-wormer as its a lot stronger and ...
another question....9/19/2008
  Q: I tried the pumpkin and cod liver oil on Akiva Raine and it certainly gave her the flush she needed. ...
  A: Glad to hear Akiva Raine is on the mend! Honestly, because you have all your other dogs and seem to ...
Chewing up pee pad9/18/2008
  Q: I have a 4 month old Cockapoo/Lhasa Apso mix. He's quite intelligent, and picks things up very ...
  A: Eric- Pee Pads seem to be a very popular puppy chew toy :) Have you tried pee pad frames? ...
Bladder problems9/18/2008
  Q: I have a 16 yr old, male Schnauzer, weight 20 lbs and he has suddenly started wetting in the house. ...
  A: Marilee- Yes, you can use a BG monitor and test strips to test your dog's blood sugar. You want to ...
Dog Urination9/18/2008
  Q: I had always understood that only female dogs are know to kill the lawns with their urine. I have a ...
  A: Both male and female dogs will kill lawns- its ammonia in urine that kills a lawn, not some specific ...
pitt bull throws up often9/18/2008
  Q: i know that you're not an expert in this area, but i thought maybe with your two years of vet ...
  A: Jasmine- My first and foremost idea would be food allergy. Pedigree dog food is full of ground ...
dog urinating in the house9/17/2008
  Q: I have a 9 year old Syberian Husky. He has always been a fairly well mannered dog. He has had the ...
  A: Jen- To just skim the surface of this, I would recommend looking into bellybands to prevent him ...
possible bed sores9/17/2008
  Q: My cat is 21 years old, so he is not very active. He mostly sits in the window all day, and the only ...
  A: Erika- How serious are the sores? Some antibacterial ointment like neosporin would help, but ...
sinus or throat problems?9/17/2008
  Q: I purchased a Miniature Yorkshire Terrier about 2 and a half mos. ago. I noticed that on the way ...
  A: Jeremy- I would highly suggest an appointment with a *different* vet. It sounds like your puppy may ...
yorkie9/17/2008
  Q: I have a female yorkie she is a round 20 pounds she has all ways been larger than most yorkies ...
  A: MaShell- First things first, she needs a trip to the vet for bloodwork to make sure she isn't ...
ear mites9/16/2008
  Q: I have been treating my dog for ear mites for 3 days. I know I've got to keep this up for a month. ...
  A: Helen- After his treatment is finished, I would continue to clean his ears once a week as part of ...
my puppies9/16/2008
  Q: I have two 6mth old red nose females. Is it true that when they grow older they won't get along? ...
  A: Amy- Often, two intact females will usually not get along as they reach sexual maturity, but this ...
Troubling going to bathroom9/16/2008
  Q: My 7 year old dog (Lab/Shepherd mixed) seems to be straining to go to the bathroom. She does go but ...
  A: Chris- Are you talking about urinating, or defecating? If she is having trouble peeing, it may be ...
Seperation Anxiety in dogs9/15/2008
  Q: I have a 2 year old Pug which i recently just sold her last puppy from her first litter. It was ...
  A: A recently nursing mother is still experiencing the excesive urination that comes along with ...
Finding the perfect dog9/15/2008
  Q: I have been searching for the right dog to bring into our family. I have never had a dog before and ...
  A: Leona- I suggest taking this fun quiz as a way to start. There are a lot of questions that will ...
my 1 year old dog9/14/2008
  Q: I am at my wits end with my dog. I love him dearly and so does my family, but we have been ...
  A: Isa- I would continue ignoring him, and letting your husband work with him so that he develops a ...
Blockage?9/14/2008
  Q: I currently have added a 6th rescue to my animal kingdom. Akiva Raine is a 4 month old blue pit and ...
  A: Penny- First, avoid laxatives that can potentially permanently damage Akiva's stomach and ...
my female boxer9/14/2008
  Q: I have a female boxer who will be two years old in January and she still has not gone into heat. ...
  A: Rachel- I suggest taking her into the vets to check her hormone levels. She may be experiencing ...
scratching and pulling out hair9/14/2008
  Q: I have been on the compter trying to find answers on why my dog is constantly scratching and even ...
  A: Jessica- It really sounds like he has food allergies! What are you feeding him? Let me know in a ...
over due?9/13/2008
  Q: My 3 yr old Shepherd was mated and due {the 63rd day} was a day ago. We have a confirmed pregnancy. ...
  A: Kim- Sounds like she has passed the mucal plug! (Clear mucous and fluid) Should be soon! I'd agree ...
chorkie ate used vegetable oil9/13/2008
  Q: My 5 month old chorkie climbed on counter and ate about 1 cup of used vegetable oil.She has thrown ...
  A: Latisha- Put down a whoooole lot of paper! That oil is going to come out of her in all sorts of ...
Skin bumps9/13/2008
  Q: I have a 4 month old Chihuahua that is getting bumps under her skin. They are the size of a boil ...
  A: Darlene- It sounds like a good idea to run her into the vet to have some tests run. An aspiration ...
3 month old puppy with frequent urination9/12/2008
  Q: I have a 3 month old male Boston Terrier Puppy. He has been potty trained to ring a bell when he ...
  A: Christina- First, let me say I applaud your food choices. I am glad to see someone feeding quality ...
puppy and cat interaction9/12/2008
  Q: I have a new puppy that I got from the Humane Society. They told me he was about 3 months old and a ...
  A: Sharon- It sounds like you are on top of the situation. I would continue what you are doing, ...
5 year old dogs suddenly having accidents in the house9/12/2008
  Q: We have two five year old chocolate labs. They are litter mates, and usually well-trained and very ...
  A: The first thing I would do, if in your situation, is a vet check for both of them to make sure its ...
Puppy poos while standing on hind legs9/12/2008
  Q: My puppy has been attempting to poo while standing on her hind legs (leaning against the grilles of ...
  A: Shannon- She may just be doing it for leverage (Honestly, I have seen dogs do that) or because it ...
What is wrong with my dog?9/11/2008
  Q: My dog has been acting strangely lately. He has been puking up a clear but kind of foamy liquid. He ...
  A: Robin- Vomiting, lethergy and weakness are very serious symptoms. Please take your dog to the vet ...
old age?9/11/2008
  Q: I have a Siamese cat that is 16 yrs old and a mixed shepard dog that is 14 and both of them have ...
  A: Joan- You are describing the symptoms of arthritis- just like humans, the joints will begin to ...
Concerned about Great Dane's size9/11/2008
  Q: I have a 16 month old intact male Great Dane. He is a gorgeous, intelligent, black male who is ...
  A: Your other male is a real big one! I would not be concerned that your pup is undersized. He falls ...
mini pin is pregnant9/11/2008
  Q: She begin producing milk about a week and a half ago. How long will it be before she has puppies?
  A: Andre- A dog's gestation period is 63 days. Every dog produces milk at a different rate, so that ...
MY YORKIE-POM GOT MATED WITH MY OTHER DOG9/11/2008
  Q: MY YORKIE-POM IS 6LBS. AND 10 AND MY OTHER DOG IS PROABLY ABOUT 18 LBS. OR MORE. HE BROKE INTO HER ...
  A: How did he tie with her four times if he broke into her pen? I would be concerned about a female ...
Scratchy Boxer9/11/2008
  Q: I have a 4 year old male pure bred Boxer who is ALWAYS scratching or chewing himself. He scratches ...
  A: Jennifer- That smell is a yeast infection on his skin- he needs to be given a shot of antihistamine ...
lazy, crusty bumps on head and bout of diarrhea9/10/2008
  Q: My 1 year old Bullmastiff/German Shepherd mix has had a rough month! First she stopped eating and ...
  A: Christine- Honestly, you wont like this answer, but I think another trip to the vet is required. ...
Toilet training for new puppy9/10/2008
  Q: I usually play with my maltese puppy in the kitchen, and i keep her in the crate during the day when ...
  A: Shannon- I'm curious why you are teaching her to go back to her crate to pee/poop? that's the ...
Dog Fleas9/9/2008
  Q: I am considering purchasing a small dog soon. I live in an apartment, and don't have a yard, but I ...
  A: The best way is a monthly topical flea preventative, like Frontline Plus. This is available through ...
very playfull puppy9/9/2008
  Q: i have a jack russellxdingoxenglish staffy hes a complete mutt actually im sure there is wippet in ...
  A: Lucy- Well, let me tell you, we have a nickname for a JRT- Jack Russell TERRORIST! LOL. That hyper ...
Chow Chow not interested in food9/9/2008
  Q: I have a 1yr old Chow Chow who is off her food. She had a variety of food offered to her like rice ...
  A: Jason- How long has she been off her food? Is she spayed and UTD on all vaccines? Is she acting ...
when we can nudder our dog?9/8/2008
  Q: We have a std poddle. vet says ok to nudder at 6 months old. he is 10 daysn before his 6 month ...
  A: Todd- You can neuter your dog as early as 8 weeks old. So long as he is over two pounds, it is ...
dogs licking other dogs ears9/8/2008
  Q: I would like to know why my 4 month old puppy always licks my 7 year old dogs ears. I read ...
  A: Yes, it can be because of an ear infection, as the smell is very intriguing to other dogs. It can ...
Puppy Bath9/8/2008
  Q: I have a 4 month old black lab puppy. All his vaccines and booster doses are over. We gave him bath ...
  A: Chetan- Thanks for the question! First, I would not bathe your dog more often then every 2-3 ...
Red bumps on paw9/8/2008
  Q: I have a little 10 month old pug and I have noticed when checking her paws her front left paw is ...
  A: It sounds like a minor contact dermatitis. Have you recently cleaned your floors with any chemicals? ...
rescue dog9/8/2008
  Q: I found this dog at a rescue shelter (foster care) and am quite interested...sounds like a brown / ...
  A: Lori- It could certainly be a poor diet contributing to her bad coat, and if so that is one of the ...
pulmonary edema or respiratory problem9/7/2008
  Q: I have 14-15 yr old pug,Tessa, who weighs approx 17-18 lbs. She is having "cold like" symptoms such ...
  A: I am not entirely comfortable answering this question because I did not see the dog or her test ...
6 month yorkie9/7/2008
  Q: We just got a 6 month old male yorkie. I had him groomed the day after and now he is already ...
  A: Toni- They make a wide range of dog cologne products, including scented shampoos, sprays, dry ...
Bleeding from the penis.9/7/2008
  Q: I have a four month old cockapoo who has never been around a female dog. He had just recently ...
  A: Sara- Typically bleeding from the penis indicates one of a few possible things: 1)Trauma to the ...
Alaskan Malamutes9/6/2008
  Q: I am about to get a female Alaskan Malamute puppy and would like to eventually get a partner for ...
  A: Nicola- I could answer your question, but I really wouldn't feel like I gave you the best answer, ...
dog problem9/6/2008
  Q: My mom has a 7 yr. old Bijon Friese. It is a little overweight but otherwise normal. It is just not ...
  A: What do you mean she isn't acting right? Is she lethargic? Depressed? Sick to her stomach? Does she ...
MY MIXED JACK RUSSELL AND RAT TERRIER9/6/2008
  Q: He for the last 4 yrs. continues to pull his hair out on both of his sides. He has been to the Vet ...
  A: If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at corn or wheat allergy, two of the most common ...
dogs9/6/2008
  Q: My dog has a sore throat because he's always pulling on the leash. Will he get over it? Is there ...
  A: Jennie- Try giving your dogs throat a rest and walk him with a harness, or a halti. A halti gives ...
my puppy is not chewing her food9/6/2008
  Q: I have a 4 months old toy poodle puppy. I feed her 1/8 per meal and she can finish her whole bowl ...
  A: Try feeding her slowly. One of the best methods to do this is buy a treat ball- like this: ...
cough9/5/2008
  Q: (I'm always running to the vet so when I saw this sight I thought i'd go ahead and ask.) She ...
  A: Kimberly- Believe it or not, dogs get colds! If this is something new, it sounds like she has a ...
my dogs keep urinating in my house9/4/2008
  Q: I have a jack Russell who will be one in October and a pug who is two. We just got the pug from ...
  A: Maria- its time to go back to step 1 with crate training. They just need a refresher course, ...
biting9/4/2008
  Q: i have a 10 week old maltese someone told me he might be a alpha he bites alot and shows his teeth i ...
  A: Fran- 10 weeks old is very young. You can correct this behavior, but you need to be careful, and ...
First heat9/4/2008
  Q: My female dogs (lab/husky mix) are 7 months old. Are they old enough to be in heat? If not, when ...
  A: yes, they are old enough to both go into heat, and spay! A first heat can be anywhere from 4-8 ...
puppies9/4/2008
  Q: I have a 3 year old female desexed dachshund. We have introduced 2 mini dachshund puppies into the ...
  A: Learne- Keep a close eye on her body language. Is she growling? Are her tail and hackles up? (The ...
older dog peeing - incontinence or bad behavior?9/3/2008
  Q: we have a 10+ y.o. beagle mix female we adopted about 5 years ago from a rescue league. In January ...
  A: That sounds like classic incontinence related to diabetes, and her age and other medical problems. ...
Black Lab sores9/2/2008
  Q: Black lab is breaking out in oozing sores,rash on his chest and a couple on his head--he has ...
  A: Johnny- I can't recommend a course of action because we don't know what is causing the sores- it ...
eating the cat9/2/2008
  Q: I have a 7 1/2 month basset/terrier mix. He is a rather hyper dog and is let outside to play fetch ...
  A: Kristen- He is a terrier/hound mix, that's why he is doing it, LOL! Both breeds have a very high ...
Dog9/1/2008
  Q: My dog just lost another tooth. He also lost one two months ago and they grew back. Is this commond ...
  A: G- How old is your dog? Just like baby humans, baby dogs are born with baby teeth which fall out ...
Scratching9/1/2008
  Q: How do you get a dog to stop scratching and getting bald spots. My poor long haired doxie is ...
  A: Cindy- There is most likely an underlying medical condition. She may have allergies, fleas, mange, ...
open sore9/1/2008
  Q: my yorkie has an open sore on her side that is about the size of a pimple and looks like a pimple. ...
  A: It sounds like an abscess- it needs to be drained, cleaned thoroughly and treated with antibiotics ...
lab mix puppy hair loss around eyes9/1/2008
  Q: I have recently rescued a lab mix puppy aproximately four or five months old, he is adjusting well ...
  A: I could indeed be a food allergy, but if you have not done so I would still recommend a vet do a ...
My dog has been bitten by another dog.9/1/2008
  Q: My dog was attacked by a lose dog (neighborhood dog got out)while walking him around the block. The ...
  A: Tracy- You need to wash it very carefully in warm water and get all debris out. Use peroxide and ...
constipated kitty now has diahrea8/31/2008
  Q: my kitty is 3 yrs old has had surgey for bladder stones8 months ago is on urinary diet,he was doing ...
  A: While this question is in the wrong section (You posted in Dogs) I believe I can be of some ...
My 6 yr old Female rottie/doberman8/31/2008
  Q: On Friday I had a mast cell tumor removed from the side of her chest. When we picked her up she ad ...
  A: Maritza- If it is a clean, dry opening with no leakage and no swelling, it *can* wait until Tuesday ...
biting fur bald8/31/2008
  Q: I have a 8 month old pit bull and he's recently been loosing hair on his head. He has about 3 spots ...
  A: Nicole- Hair loss on the head and legs are unfortunately a symptom of mange. It can be other ...
hives8/31/2008
  Q: My 2 year old boxer broke out with hives 2 days ago. I believe he got stung by a bug. He is his ...
  A: Melissa- Absolutely not- it's just not safe to give human RX drugs to dogs without a vets ...
7 months english bulldog neuter8/31/2008
  Q: my 7 month old english bulldog will be neuter this week, is it true that he will not develop his ...
  A: Nope, this is an old wives tale. So long as he is exercising well, eating proper healthy food, and ...
behavioral issues8/30/2008
  Q: I have two dogs: Cosmo is a 4 year old black lab mix that we obtained from doggie jail when he was ...
  A: I think it would be a good idea to separate the two for now. Cosmo needs some alone time to remember ...
I need bit of help8/30/2008
  Q: I think I sent you a message about a month ago. The message talked about my dog, Sasha, who seemed ...
  A: Cecilia- I unfortunatly can't offer any advice on whether or not to place Sasha because of her ...
itching problem8/30/2008
  Q: I have a young pitbull(13 months)that has a skin problem itching and small places of lost hair and ...
  A: Carin- If you used burnt motor oil, I would take him to the vet ASAP. That trick is an old wives ...
racoon fight8/29/2008
  Q: my 65 lb. pitbull terrier was in a fight last night with a racoon. he was bit in the mouth and his ...
  A: Michele- I am so sorry to hear! I would not give him ANYTHING until he gets to the vet. I would ...
Jack Russell8/29/2008
  Q: I just cought my 2mnth old jack Russell eating his own shit. Why does this happen? What should I do ...
  A: Shaun- This is called Coprophagia. This can happen for many different reasons: Anxiety Attempt to ...
Puppy (Baby) Teeth8/29/2008
  Q: At what age does a dog lose all his Puppy (Baby) teeth? I have a Chihuahua who is a year and 2 ...
  A: All dogs have Canine teeth, no matter the age. They are born with small, thinner canine teeth that ...
Chinese Crested Powder Puff Bald Spots8/29/2008
  Q: Our Powder Puff is almost 15 months old. He was neutered when he was 13 months. He has been to the ...
  A: It is not normal for a powder puff to loose hair in the manner you are speaking of. It sounds like ...
dog accidents8/28/2008
  Q: I have a 7 yr old Golden that I rescued almost 3 yrs ago. Sweet dog well behaved and we love her a ...
  A: Joanne- Dogs are toiletry animals, and like to use the bathroom in the same designated spot, ...
Bichon Frise8/28/2008
  Q: My 4 year Bichon Frise has starting peeing in my living room and dining room and occasionally ...
  A: Lisa- Why didn't the crate work? That would be my first suggestion, or fencing him in a laundry ...
poison ivy8/28/2008
  Q: my boxer looks like she has poison ivy on the area where she uses the bathroom and on her lips. I'm ...
  A: Kim- I would give her benedryl for the itching and to relieve the swelling. You will need to ...
Golden Doodle puppies- potty issues8/28/2008
  Q: I have 2 littermate males golden doodles, 17 weeks old. They are indoors when I am home before, and ...
  A: Dogs are very toiletry animals. They prefer to use one space over and over again as a dedicated ...
i need advise8/28/2008
  Q: i have a bishon dog who is 9 yrs old, i just wanna know if im taking this too lightly here is myon ...
  A: If the wound has not closed in a month, I would be concerned as well! Have you tried a second ...
bichon Mia8/28/2008
  Q: my bichon urinates often so I keep potty pads around& take her out often. She has been treated in ...
  A: It does indeed sound like she has another UTI. Chronic UTI could be a chemical imbalance, a problem ...
osteosarcoma8/27/2008
  Q: Our 4 year old chocolate lab was diagnosed with osteosarcoma when he was just 2 yrs old. We had the ...
  A: I am so very sorry to hear about Kona. I know this is a horrible time for you, and I know that he is ...
Thrashing Dog8/27/2008
  Q: I'm preparing for getting married in October, and blending our homes and pets. My fiance has a ...
  A: I would suggest melatonin (1mg/10LBS available at drug stores) to attempt to calm her and give her a ...
My Dog8/27/2008
  Q: My question is, could changing food make my dog have blood in her stool, she also walks as she is ...
  A: If your dog is constipated or having loose stools and her colon is irritated because of the change ...
poor appetite in pregnancy week 3-48/27/2008
  Q: i am hoping for a bit of advice,my 2 year old short legged jack russell is expecting her first ...
  A: Suzanne- A pregnant bitch going off her food is pretty normal, but I am concerned about some of the ...
sheltie8/27/2008
  Q: My 11yr old sheltie has a thingon the outer corner of his eye that breaks and bleeds but then does ...
  A: Unfortunately without a better description and some more information about size, texture, color, how ...
Two dogs bringing out the worse in each other?8/26/2008
  Q: I have moved in with my partner 6 months ago, my partner has a hearing dog Charlie who is a mixed ...
  A: It sounds like when you are all out together, your dogs are developing a pack mentality where you ...
meatabolism differences in canus lupus vs canus familiaris8/26/2008
  Q: I have long listened to the contorversy about metabolic sensitivities of canus lupus to ketamine, ...
  A: Shunkaha- ( Just to clarify for anyone else reading this unfamiliar with the taxonomy, C.L refers ...
Dog bleeding8/25/2008
  Q: I have a beagle that will be 6 this year and she is not spayed. She bleeds very lightly every 9-12 ...
  A: That bleeding is her going into heat. She will bleed every 6-10 months for 6 weeks until she is no ...
Diet8/25/2008
  Q: are dogs allowed to eat pork? I know they cannot have chocolate but I have recently been told pork ...
  A: Lynsey- While pork that is cooked very well done is not lethal to dogs, it is best to avoid pork, ...
Boxer breed skin health8/25/2008
  Q: Shawn, My boxer pup is 11 months old and seems to be in good health w/ typical boxer enthusiasm! He ...
  A: Rachel- My concern would be an allergic reaction. Is he on flea control? How is his coat in other ...
My baby and his diet8/25/2008
  Q: My dog became very ill and I took him to the vet (vomiting and bloody mucus stool) and he started ...
  A: Was your dog diagnosed with HGE? I have a golden retriever who has HGE and he will have similar ...
pup has coccidia8/24/2008
  Q: my 10 week old golden retriever pup has round worms and coccidia,hes being treated with albon and is ...
  A: Linda- Lysol will not kill 100% of the coccidia but it is definitely better then nothing, and will ...
My Golden8/24/2008
  Q: When he is out on his chain in the yard running around, there are always flies biting his nose and ...
  A: Eric- It sounds like he may be in an area near a high fly spawning area, which is why he is getting ...
HIVES8/24/2008
  Q: HOW DO I GET RID OF HIVE ON MY DOG??
  A: Angel- I need some more information on the hives on your dog. How serious are they, were are they, ...
dogs and ice cream8/24/2008
  Q: I took my dog,lab mix about 50 lbs, to Brusters ice cream today and got her 1 scoop of peanut butter ...
  A: Jennifer- No, I wouldn't be too concerned at all. It takes quite a lot of milk chocolate to make a ...
Shih Tzu throwing up yellow foam8/23/2008
  Q: My Shih Tzu is throwing up yellow foam, and is being very lazy and lying around a lot. She's ...
  A: Yellow foam is bile, which is just empty stomach fluid. Lethargy is probably because she doesn't ...
beagle RE: footpad8/23/2008
  Q: Shawn, I have a rescued beagle that I have had for eight months. Three days ago I noticed her ...
  A: I would be concerned she has either injured that paw, or she is having an allergic reaction to ...
breed8/23/2008
  Q: my husband and I are thinking about getting a dog, but not sure which type would suit our quiet ...
  A: Lori- Let me just say, your home sounds 100% perfect for a golden retriever. Athletic, good with ...
shitzu care8/23/2008
  Q: How high can I keep the temperature indoors while I'm out for a 3 yr old female shitzu so that she ...
  A: I would stay below 80. Offer lots of water and a cool place for her to sleep, and perhaps a nice ...
pug breeding8/22/2008
  Q: i have been assisting my mother breed Pomeranians for a long time and when you are breeding two poms ...
  A: All canids tie when breeding. Pugs are no different then poms, or mastiffs, or wolves, or coyotes. ...
behavior of newborn puppies.8/22/2008
  Q: These dogs are driving me crazy! There are 4 and they were born on Sunday, August 10. There are 3 ...
  A: Taylor- I would be concerned that they are not getting enough food, if they are crying and ...
puppy8/22/2008
  Q: my 4 week old pup was wormed yest and today she went a poo and a tablespoon of worms as well will ...
  A: Yes, that sounds like a normal amount of a heavy infestation. "scooting" is normal behavior of a dog ...
Diarreah with Blood8/22/2008
  Q: I have an eight year old English Bulldog. Normally she tends to have hard stools and if anything ...
  A: How much blood are you talking about? Just a few drops, or a lot? A few drops in diarrhea can be ...
House Training8/22/2008
  Q: I have had a rescue dog for about 2 1/2 months. For the first 4 weeks I had her, I never had any ...
  A: Since she is doing it always near the same spot, it may be that she thinks that that room may be ...
dog not eating8/21/2008
  Q: my 11 year old pug has gotten finiky...his demenor is the same, he'll eat his favorite cookies...if ...
  A: I would suggest adding some "toppers" to your normal dry food. Try water first (Sometimes just ...
10 year old Golden Retriever8/21/2008
  Q: We have a 10 year old golden, his hips are going and we have him on medication. Within the last 4-6 ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear your baby's health is starting to slide. 10 years old is a good age for a golden, ...
boxer/chow/lab mix puppy behavior8/21/2008
  Q: My lab/chow/boxer mix puppy has some unusual behaviors that have puzzled my husband and I. Otis ...
  A: Honestly, it sounds like your new puppy is just a goofball! It doesn't sound like any behavior I ...
4 month yorkie8/20/2008
  Q: Our 4 month yorkie gets fed at 6am and at 4pm but he eats his food really fast, so fast he hardly ...
  A: I would recommend feeding several small meals throughout the day. Puppies need 3 meals a day and ...
health question8/20/2008
  Q: I have a 3 month old female American bulldog. She urinated on the floor tonight and I noticed what ...
  A: It does indeed sound like she has a UTI. I would take her in to have her examined. While cranberry ...
Puppies8/19/2008
  Q: I have a litter of four chihuahua puppies. I am just wondering when I should deworm and how much ...
  A: Yes, you can offer water, but do not force them to drink. I suggest using goats milk, water, and ...
retraining backyard toiltery8/19/2008
  Q: I'm beginning to re-landscape my backyard and the my issue is...My 10 1/2 yr old dog has had the ...
  A: I would recommend one of two things: A) really make a spot, pick a tree or a good sized patch and ...
My dog is peeing a little blood8/19/2008
  Q: My dog is seven years old. And just two days ago he started peeing and there was a little blood ...
  A: Any time you see blood in the urine, a urinalysis is a good idea. Call your vet and schedule an ...
Out of character behaviour8/18/2008
  Q: My 9 year old boxer/ridgeback cross is occassionally displaying abnormal behaviour. She is usually ...
  A: My first thought if it were my dog would be neurological. Perhaps seizures, a recent stroke, or ...
Two Dogs who sometimes fight.8/18/2008
  Q: My name is Andrew. We have two male mini Dachshunds. One is almost nine (Zippo). The other is a ...
  A: Is Mr. Wiener neutered? He is just starting to become sexually mature at his age, and if the two of ...
puppy concussion8/17/2008
  Q: my min pin puppy is 8 weeks old. we went to the park and he was hopping around like normal. he hit ...
  A: I'm sorry it took so long to answer you, I was hospitalized recently and got very behind in these ...
older dog wounded tail8/16/2008
  Q: we have a 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever who has been acting different lately. She licks the ...
  A: Ann- I'm so sorry, but without looking at the site or seeing the results of a biopsy I really can't ...
My Golden Retriever has a rash.8/16/2008
  Q: My 3 year old Golden Retriever has a horrible rash on his under belly near his genital area. It ...
  A: It sounds like a yeast infection spurred on by bad contact dermatitis. Say, an allergic reaction to ...
scooting 4 month old puppy8/15/2008
  Q: I just brought home a french bulldog puppy two days ago and she started scooting mildly yesterday. ...
  A: sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was hospitalized recently and got very behind in ...
vet diagnosed hip dysplasia8/15/2008
  Q: I have an 8 month old golden retriever who suddenly seemed really down and stopped running around, ...
  A: I am so sorry it took so long to get back to you, I swore I had answered this question but for some ...
Paranoid Barking?8/14/2008
  Q: My dog stays in my room. She has a pen with food, water, and pee pad. She is a 2 pound Maltese who ...
  A: Nicole- It sounds more like she is stressed and has separation anxiety to me. Try Melatonin, ...
strange behavior8/14/2008
  Q: I have recently noticed that my minpin acts like there is something trying to get him, He will shake ...
  A: Many dogs display a type of neurotic behavior such as the one you are describing. It can indicate a ...
sneezing dog8/14/2008
  Q: my 5 year old male Pomeranian has been sneezing for about a week. He also has a crusty nose. Is ...
  A: Yes, it sounds like a cold, or a bordetella bug. Usually these will go away on their own so long as ...
Boston terrier tails8/13/2008
  Q: Is it possible for a litter of 6 puppies to all have the short tail but 1, which has a long tail. 4 ...
  A: Bob-tailed breeds are all selectively bred down from tailed breeds, and quite often long tailed ...
my dog8/12/2008
  Q: I do know that my dog was in her 1st heat like two weeks ago and my male dog did deal with her ...
  A: Ideally 9 or 10 months old is much too young for a dog to have puppies. They should only be bred ...
Possible Pregnancy between Briard and Boxer8/12/2008
  Q: Shawn. My female Briard, Marie, just finished her heat cycle about 5 days ago. She may be pregnant, ...
  A: Do you know if the two dogs tied? If they remained "stuck" together for a period of a few minutes, ...
foot pads on dobie8/12/2008
  Q: My 13 yr old doberman seems to have lost the "traction" on her foot pads. She slides on smooth ...
  A: Karen- There is a substance called "Sticky paws" available online and at some petstores that you ...
new mom behavior8/12/2008
  Q: I have a dachshaund whom just had her first litter of 6 puppies. Before the pregnancy, she was very ...
  A: Christy- Yes, it is very normal for a new mother to "misbehave". She is confused and stressed out, ...
Boston Terrier in heat8/11/2008
  Q: I have a 10 month old female Boston terrier that weighs about 17lbs and she is in heat, she has been ...
  A: I would not breed her for several reasons. First, she is much too young. She should never be bred on ...
My Dog8/11/2008
  Q: I have a dog almost one years old. I notice that he has several little misquteo/pimple like bumps ...
  A: Those could be flea or bug bites, or allergic reactions to a soap, food or other potential allergy, ...
DOG SICKNESS8/10/2008
  Q: Have a 11 month old lab who has been vomiting and bloody diarrhea also a fever. so the vet gave me ...
  A: If its parvo, he needs to be kept on fluids constantly. Parvo dogs die because they dehydrate and ...
sick yorkie8/10/2008
  Q: {no food in vomit}I brought him to the vet who gave me tablets to get rid of any bugs.But its still ...
  A: How often is he vomiting? Is it right after he plays? Or eats? Is he pretty active most of the time? ...
male dog depressed during mating season8/10/2008
  Q: I live in India, and my young two-year old dog, a stray who came to us as a half-grown pup, is ...
  A: To be honest, I'm a little concerned at the situation you described, which sounds very dangerous. It ...
Dog Training8/9/2008
  Q: I bought a dog from the poung this march. He's a black lab mix. Very smart very friendly. We live ...
  A: Unfortunately some dogs just can not be trusted not to wander when left alone in an unfenced in ...
puppy soreness8/9/2008
  Q: My puppy just got shots and he is very sore in both shoulders. my question is, should you pick the ...
  A: Mike- Sorry this took so long, I was unexpectedly admitted into the hospital and got behind in my ...
help with walking dog8/9/2008
  Q: I need help training my puppy to walk "nicely" and not pull on the leash while walking. On our first ...
  A: There is a great product out called a "Halti" (also one called a "gentle leader") These products ...
15 year old labrador bitch struggling to eat8/8/2008
  Q: recently or 15 year old labrador bitch has been struggling to eat or drink although mainly eat. We ...
  A: Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was unexpectedly admitted into the hospital for a few ...
breeding8/7/2008
  Q: My dog is a female half chihuahuah and half jack russell terrier and very active. She is about a ...
  A: Michelle- First let me apologize for the time it took to get back to you. I was unexpectedly ...
water8/7/2008
  Q: Whenever I leave my 11 wk old cairn terrier alone in his cage, he likes to tip over the water bowl. ...
  A: First let me apologize for the time it took to get back to you. I was unexpectedly admitted into the ...
my dogs losing weight, and i dont know what to do8/7/2008
  Q: I sent u an e-mail the other day regarding the health of my dachshund. She was losing weight and you ...
  A: Cecilia- First let me apologize for the time it took to get back to you. I was unexpectedly ...
Dog seeks hot water8/7/2008
  Q: I have a Shih Tzuh-Poodle mix who is 5 years old. His name is Francois. The past few months he would ...
Strange behavior8/5/2008
  Q: I have a chihuahua pup that is about 8 months old. She has had all her shots, the last ones being ...
  A: did you use an ant spray that was safe for pets? Did she come in only after it was completely dry ...
yorkie with hives?8/5/2008
  Q: I have a very large yorkie 16lbs. he is neutered and 2 and 1/2 He started acting a little strange. ...
  A: Itchy red lumps and itchy ears would indicate to me an allergic reaction. I agree with both the idea ...
Pekingese8/4/2008
  Q: Maybe you can help us - We just got a 11 week old Pekingese Saturday to replace our older buddy who ...
  A: She could be allergic to the shampoo if she only started scratching right after the bath. ...
Weight Gain8/4/2008
  Q: I have a male Toy Poodle that is a very active dog, by active I mean he LOVES to play fetch and will ...
  A: Karyn- Well, the big question here is what brand of food are you feeding him? Some foods just don't ...
puppy recovering from parvo8/4/2008
  Q: My 10 week old puppy just came home from a stay at the hospital because of parvo. She came home ...
  A: I don't like the idea that she is still having bloody diarrhea after 5 days. Are you feeding her ...
My dog Madeline8/4/2008
  Q: Madeline is 10 yrs old and has some kind of worms; my husband says that they are hook worms and we ...
  A: At this point, I would suggest you visit the vet for a more powerful dewormer. At the very least, ...
bloody stool in dogs8/3/2008
  Q: I have 3 dogs ranging in age from 3 years to one year old. They recently showed signs of having ...
  A: If all three of them suddenly developed blood in their stool, it could be a viral intestinal bug ...
My dogs stomach8/2/2008
  Q: I own a puggle he will be two tomorrow. Last weight was 26lbs. His highest weight was 28lbs last ...
  A: Your pup could have a sensitive stomach, it could also be the frozen veggies. Maybe there is a ...
Dog Pees In House8/2/2008
  Q: My daughter has a one year old male yorkie. We take him out to potty and he does. Then he will come ...
  A: Try taking him outside ever 40 minutes or so. Also, it sounds like he is lifting his leg- is he ...
bloody stools8/2/2008
  Q: everytime i take my dog out i try not to let her eat pincones and wood things of that sort now all ...
  A: Bloody stools can indicate many health problems, including parvo, and a bad worm infestation. It ...
Dog has engorged breasts and is still pregnant8/1/2008
  Q: I have a pit bull that is pregnant and due at the end of the month. I was taking her for her daily ...
  A: Kayce- Typically the rear two teets will have more milk then the rest of the teets. However, if it ...
dog vomiting dark brown...8/1/2008
  Q: "My dog was up all last night vomiting, shaking and crying at me. She seemed scared and hurting. ...
  A: Jaime- Vomiting, shaking, crying and pain are not exactly great symptoms. Especially if it is dark ...
Help!8/1/2008
  Q: We have a lab mix, she is 3 years old, very mellow and well behaved. Since the 4th of July she has ...
  A: Did your dog have a particularly stressful reaction to the fireworks on the fourth of July? Was she ...
Fur around face turning white8/1/2008
  Q: I have a Italian Greyhound i rescued 2 years ago. At that time they said she was 9 months old. Now ...
  A: Some dogs really do turn grey a lot sooner then others. I have several golden retrievers, and my ...
Vaccination7/31/2008
  Q: My puppy is 8 weeks old and has her first vaccination (DA2PPv). I would like to bring her to my ...
  A: I would wait until your puppy has had all three combo vaccines before considering her completely ...
Should i get rid of my dog7/31/2008
  Q: last night my 5 yr old dog killed my 15 week old puppy , they were of the same breed my older dog is ...
  A: Clare- I am sorry for the loss of your puppy. I do not ever recommend turning an animal into a ...
My dogs seems to be losing weight7/31/2008
  Q: When I got Sasha, she weighed about 13 pounds. She was put on the W/D diet. I don't know why. I ...
  A: It sounds like she was put on Science diet. I don't recommend, nor will I ever, science diet. Most ...
My 6 month old American Pit Bull Terrier7/31/2008
  Q: We are about to have her spayed. We are hoping that it will calm her down a bit. She's a lot to ...
  A: Of course, some dogs are just more hyper then others :) It depends on breeding, training and ...
Vaccinations7/30/2008
  Q: My puppy is 16 weeks old Is it okay to give her the combination vaccine (5) followed by three weeks ...
  A: June- Has she had any other series of vaccinations? If she has not, then yes, I would start her ...
my puppy's poo.7/30/2008
  Q: Sorry, I'm sure you find this question just lovely. I've had my 3 month old westie about three weeks ...
  A: Dont worry about the question :) There could be a couple of things wrong with her. Has she had a ...
my puppy7/30/2008
  Q: Alright where do i start? I got a beagle puppy and she gets into EVERYTHING she is very smart (ie: ...
  A: Yes, beagles are very smart, and also very stubborn! Sneaking table food is a normal but dangerous ...
Behavioral7/30/2008
  Q: Today I came home from a golf outing to discover my 6 yr. old male Keeshond urinated right in the ...
  A: Toni- I am so sorry you've been having a rough couple of days! I'm sure finding a big urine spot ...
Can't tell if my dog is spayed.7/29/2008
  Q: I have a miniature poodle that I got from a pound. They don't spay the dogs or anything. You pay for ...
  A: The best thing for you to do is schedule an examination with your vet. A palpation from your vet ...
My doxie & his weight7/29/2008
  Q: I have a 8 year old standard daschund - Buster. He is a very loving and faithful member of our ...
  A: Getting dogs to loose weight is always a challenge! At this point, I do have some suggestions for ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Shawn

Top Expert on this page