Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Susan Potts

SubjectDate Asked
Dog with red mange (2/10/2015
  Q: Can a dog with red mange be given brewers dried yeast formula tablets with garlic flavoring ??
  A: I won't give that to a dog with red mange Debbie. There are shampoos and medications that treat ...
Dead sea salt bath for dogs8/29/2014
  Q: My name is Laryn and I have a miniature pinscher that is 10 years old and has been having skin ...
  A: You should rinse the salt off your dog. You want to go holistic?, you need to try NuVet Plus ...
Could milk whiten my dogs fur?10/5/2013
  Q: My dog has a spot on his back that has discolored. It's irritated and the vet said unfortunately its ...
  A: Milk? Not sure why you mention milk. Are you giving him milk to drink? If so, dogs shouldn't been ...
not like her8/6/2013
  Q: I have a 6 lb Yorkie that is a rescue, we've had her about a year, and the vet thinks she's about 3 ...
  A: This is a sad situation. Our dogs need their nails trimmed and when they are terrified and scared ...
depression7/21/2013
  Q: I had two dogs, a labrador and pitbull for 12 years. My labrador died in a dog shelter three days ...
  A: So sorry to hear about your lab. Dogs do have a time of depression when their buddy is gone. I ...
dog grooming7/13/2013
  Q: How does someone become a dog groomer? I'm looking for a part time career that could turn into full ...
  A: I got into the business by starting out as a dog bather. If you have groomers around you that would ...
Feeding my dog6/23/2013
  Q: we are having feeding problems with our 2year old mix breed. He is 1/2 shihtzu, 1/4 bichon & 1/4 ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in writing. You are not alone in this. In fact, many times dogs that are given ...
Trimming Yorkies6/6/2013
  Q: I am trying to trim my Yorkies myself. How can I avoid that choppy look I am getting? Also, what ...
  A: I'm not sure what happened to my first response to you but here it is again. I like to use a comb ...
Sheep dog mix mats6/2/2013
  Q: I have always taken my mini sheep dog mix to a groomer but cannot afford it any more. I am a ...
  A: I love the Andis clippers. For that type of coat, you should get a Professional 2-speed clipper. ...
My yorkie5/11/2013
  Q: I had her groomed today & my groomer said that she has dry skin like dandruff. Any suggestions as ...
  A: As a groomer, I always suggest NuVet Plus for a daily nutrional supplement for dry skin. Safe to ...
Will my Pomeranian loose his hair4/18/2013
  Q: I have a 5 year old Pomeranian who gets skin infections every once in awhile. I cut hs hair to help ...
  A: My answer to you is NuVet Plus. This supplement will work to restore hair growth and boosts the ...
my dogs eating habit3/4/2013
  Q: it's been this way for awhile now but the pooping and it getting in her hair just started now my ...
  A: Because of it's freshness and quality it is only sold through the company. You can order by calling ...
Growth on my dog1/22/2013
  Q: My dog has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks to see if it will heal a growth on her shoulder. It ...
  A: So sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to you. What has your vet said? I can not say just on a ...
shish tzu and maltese gnawing at legs and paws1/19/2013
  Q: they both constantly gnawing and pulling at the hair on their legs and on the paws. Fleas are a ...
  A: There is a product you may like to try called http://www.nuvet.com/42299. Your dogs may be having ...
fur cutting12/29/2012
  Q: My brother took his blue merle collie to a groomer and when he went to pick him up they had cut off ...
  A: Yes, it will grow back. Did your brother ask for a trim? were there mats in the coat? There are ...
willpups hair grow back to original color10/28/2012
  Q: Ok so my shorkie is my first pup that requires grooming...i took him in to get a trim and they ...
  A: The puppy coat is always darker. In time, the hair will grow back as it was, however the color can ...
aprox 2 yr labrador10/23/2012
  Q: We adopted a Labrador retriever from a shelter Last week. She was fostered for about 4 months by a ...
  A: These are my opinions from experience. I copied your questions and gave you my response after. - ...
Lost of hair on Giant Schnauzer tail9/25/2012
  Q: My Giant Schnauzer (4 years old) has lost hair on his tail. His skin became black on that part of ...
  A: I sorry that has happened to your Schnauzer. I would first check for fleas and then if you see them ...
Nail grooming9/10/2012
  Q: I have a 2 year old male Australian Kelpie who absolutely hates having his nails cut. He becomes ...
  A: I don't know of a OTC drug that will calm him down other then Benadryl which can cause drowsiness. ...
Salted Cashews?8/27/2012
  Q: My 8 week old pupppy has eaten a handful of salted cashews that have fallen on the floor, is this ...
  A: Your puppy should be fine. My dogs eat cashews with no problems. The salt may cause him to want to ...
My 4 yr old Shitsu seems depressed8/9/2012
  Q: I own a 4yr old Shiatsu. It's my daughter's dog. She recently got hr own apt in a basement. He It's ...
  A: Yes, sounds like he is. Dogs do get depressed when things change, especially when left alone or ...
Puppys v.s. adults8/3/2012
  Q: I'm 13 years old and am finally allowed to get my own dog! We have two dogs of our own, an nine year ...
  A: April, That is personal preference. All ages of dogs are special, it depends on what you put into ...
Gray, Wrinkled Skin/ Fleas6/19/2012
  Q: Susan, my dog has been scatching alot and has been receiving fleas alot lately. I've been wondering ...
  A: Oh Adrienne I know your pain. Fleas are so horrible to get rid of, it takes repeated steps of ...
Cocker Spaniel6/12/2012
  Q: My cocker spaniel Charlie has been losing hair. It started as a small spot on the neck and it ...
  A: It maybe an allergy, I have seen this on dogs over the years and I suggest NuVet Plus. ...
Shaving a Pomeranian5/26/2012
  Q: I have a few questions. Is my Pomeranian a double coated Dog or a single coated Dog? And do you ...
  A: Double coated and its your choice if you want to have her shaved. Many poms look great in a short ...
a dog bite5/7/2012
  Q: My son has a pit bull very well behaved and we just bought a new puppy he is a pit bull and they ...
  A: You should see your vet just to make sure. Puss is never a good thing. I can't speculate to what ...
Selecting a good dog food4/28/2012
  Q: I have found your website very helpful and was wondering if you could provide some direction for me ...
  A: After reviewing the food you mentioned, I find that it is a good one to try. Sounds like you have ...
Dog4/19/2012
  Q: Can I use Greenies instead of brushing my dogs teeth? She never lets me brush her teeth.. any ...
  A: I am not a big fan of Greenies. They should never be given without supervision. Greenies have a ...
type of food to feed my 9 wk. 2lb shih/poo4/9/2012
  Q: My puppy seems to have trouble chewing the puppy chow so I fed him some wet cat food which he ...
  A: The best canned food I know of is from http://www.pipschoice.com The dry kibble is small and can be ...
urine smell emergency2/5/2012
  Q: My name is Katie. I thought you might be able to answer this since your a groomer. I bought a ...
  A: BioDeodorizer gets rid of odors by digesting their sources. Safe for use on everything. Eliminates ...
some kind of died bug on dog1/22/2012
  Q: my pomernain has some very small black things in his hair they are very small and hard i dont know ...
  A: It's hard for me to say without seeing for myself. My quess would be that it may be flea dirt. To ...
Puppy growls at children1/14/2012
  Q: I took my 4 month old border collie, Schotzie to the park today and she nearly growled at every ...
  A: This is better addressed to a trainer, I'm a groomer and pet nutrition professional. I know that 4 ...
Split whiskers1/14/2012
  Q: I have a question about my girl, Karlie. Karlie is turning 2 years old, I adopted her last year ...
  A: In all the years I have been grooming dogs, I have never seen split whiskers. Are you saying they ...
Soon To Be Cockapoo Mommy12/29/2011
  Q: I am going to be adopting a Cockapoo puppy in the near future, but before I commit to taking the ...
  A: Congratulations on your soon to be pup. I think as far as brushes go, it's a personal preference. ...
dental care for dogs12/20/2011
  Q: I was wondering what dental care products toothpastes,dental sprays or gels do you think are safest ...
  A: I like the dental treats from pipschoice. The sprays are OK when used sparingly, but like you I'm ...
Parti Pomeranians12/17/2011
  Q: Is my Pomeranian a ``mismark`` Parti Pom? She has a white stripe down her chest.
  A: Brandy is sure cute. A parti-colored Pomeranian is when you have one with more than one coat color. ...
shedding12/1/2011
  Q: why do corgis dogs shed so much, and is there any foods, shampoos or oils that I can use to help ...
  A: The Welsh Corgi, being double-coated shed a lot that's a fact. They will generally shed their ...
Female Chihuahua dog with some issues11/12/2011
  Q: I have an 8 years old female Chihuahua that lately has been strugling with stairs. My backyard and ...
  A: I have just the right supplement for your little girl to try. Go to http://www.nuvet.com/42299 and ...
growth on leg11/6/2011
  Q: I have a min pin that has had a growth on her back left leg for a couple of years now. The problem ...
  A: So sorry to hear about your little girl. Well, I can't say if I think it's cancer. Your vet should ...
Black Pomeranian`s fur with a bit of red10/21/2011
  Q: I have a 4 year old black Pomeranian. When we first got him at 6 months old, he had allot of red ...
  A: Are you talking about the hair color itself? Skin conditions and other health problems can cause ...
Yorkie hair9/13/2011
  Q: I have a yorkie puppy that has a problem with matted fur. I bathe him with puppy shampoo and ...
  A: Puppies have soft hair and it will mat up easily. I tell my customers to never bathe a dog until ...
I WANT MY SHIH TZU SLEEP WHEN GROOMING9/10/2011
  Q: Good day to you dear i have 8 months old shih tzu,i want him to be groomed by myself but when he see ...
  A: Check with your vet for a sedative. They should be able to give you a type that will still allow you ...
westie withred itchy bauld patches9/1/2011
  Q: my 13 year old westie has got bauld patches his hair came out when a wiz bathing him. its red and ...
  A: Sounds like your westie may have an allergy to something. I suggest you try Nuvet supplements. I ...
Shaving a Newfoundland8/1/2011
  Q: We have shaved our Newfie for the past 3 summers and her hair has always grown in normally. ...
  A: Shaving a coat such as a Newfies is risky. The fact that her coat grow back normal for the past 3 ...
Dog scratching7/14/2011
  Q: I have a 4 year old long haired Dachshund that has just started scratching a lot. I put frontline on ...
  A: To answer your question, it is possible that he picked up a bug or two. Fleas are everywhere and it ...
Newfoundland coat4/8/2011
  Q: I have an adult newf and a 4 month old newf pup. The 4 month old LOVES water.....normal right, but ...
  A: I have to laugh, that's just the nature of the dog. Some dogs have a smell that is just hard to ...
my puppie..3/28/2011
  Q: My 7week old maltipoo has fleas that made her get sores.what can I do?
  A: Fleas are so awful! First make sure you get rid of the flea problem. Bathe her in an oatmeal based ...
Schnauzer having seizures3/22/2011
  Q: my soon to be 15 year old schnauzer has begun having seizures periodically (1-2 twice a week) What ...
  A: Sorry to hear this about your little girl. I would hold her, I believe it's better for the pet to ...
losing fur on tail3/9/2011
  Q: I have two eleven year old shiz tzus. Both have had vets checks and everything checked out fine. ...
  A: Yes, It may be a deficiency. I always suggest pets be on a supplement no matter what they are fed. ...
Elderly Lab3/6/2011
  Q: I am babysitting my son's elderly black Labrador Retriever while he is overseas on vacation. The ...
  A: That is so sad to hear. Yes, I can help. Do Shardik a great favor and put him on Life's Abundance ...
soiling at my boyfriend's house2/16/2011
  Q: I have had my wire-haired fox terrier for 2 years. He is a rescue so little is known of his past. ...
  A: I have heard of this type of behavior before. Sounds like your dog is having a problem with your ...
My Beagle's Greasy Coat2/6/2011
  Q: My 5 year old beagle is suddenly getting a smelly, oily, greasy coat. My family and I have no ideas ...
  A: I would first make sure there is no medical condition going on with your dog. Next, bathing may ...
Standard Poodle aggression toward other dogs on runs1/29/2011
  Q: I have 2 standard Poodles which I have had since they were 9 weeks old. My oldest 14 months old was ...
  A: Sorry to hear about the attacks on your dog. That is something dogs don't soon forget. I would ...
min pin food1/20/2011
  Q: I have a min pin and she is 1 year old now and weighs 6 lbs. I was feeding her Bil Jack, but found ...
  A: 1/2 cup of day is the right amount for a 6# dog. Although Blue is a better food than what you were ...
Collie Coat1/16/2011
  Q: What, if any, is the difference in the coat of a neutered rough collie as opposed to an intact rough ...
  A: In a healthy dog whether neutered or not should not have any difference in coat condition. If there ...
dog odor12/14/2010
  Q: Please tell me what I can do for the odor my dog has which smells like "old, stinky cheese"!! I ...
  A: There are some good deodorizer shampoo's that work for a little while. The "stinky cheese" smell is ...
yorkie-poo hair12/14/2010
  Q: When we got a yorkie-poo his hair was soft, and full, long, He is now a 1 1/2 years and his hair is ...
  A: Yes, it is normal for a coat to change. However, it should not be thin. I would suggest a healthy ...
Dog's hurt leg11/23/2010
  Q: My husband opened the bathroom door without realizing that our dog had his foot under the door. Now ...
  A: Sorry to hear about your dog and his injured foot. I am in no means an expert on injuries, so my ...
small worm found?11/11/2010
  Q: I just got a yorkshire terrier. He is almost 6 months old. I noticed a few days ago he was dragging ...
  A: Yes, sounds like you will need to take your puppy in for a deworming. This is common in some young ...
corgi nutrition10/28/2010
  Q: i have 2 pembrokes that i feed eucanuba dachshund formula because it was recommended for long dogs. ...
  A: There is one food that is made for all breeds, sizes, ages and yes, shapes. It is called Life's ...
Eyes10/26/2010
  Q: we just recently purchased a shih-tzu puppy from the pound. He is 8 months old. I was wondering ...
  A: Young dogs also can have the brown under and around their eyes, what you need to do is clean around ...
removing dog saliva10/25/2010
  Q: I have a coat that looks and feels like suede but is actually 100% polyester. It is machine ...
  A: I would like to think you can use any spray-on fabric cleaner. Now if there is an odor I suggest the ...
Dog Not Chewing10/23/2010
  Q: I have a Havanese. She used to chew bones and toys all the time. When she stopped her teeth ...
  A: I have the thing for you. Healthy teeth and gums are an important consideration for your dog’s ...
Shedding Shih Tzu9/28/2010
  Q: It was my understanding that the Shih Tzu does not shed. My 10 month old has been shedding for the ...
  A: Shedding like this can be caused by allergies, weakened immune system, diseases or taking ...
Skin and Coat Problems9/24/2010
  Q: I have 2 2yr old cockapoos. I am having a very difficult time with their skin and coat. Their coat ...
  A: The food may very well be the problem and putting vegetable oil on the food is not recommended. ...
puppy food9/20/2010
  Q: What to feed the puppy if you don't know what type of food he started with . Thanks
  A: You can't go wrong with Life's Abundance Puppy/Adult kibble. I am happy to give you the website for ...
broken nail9/19/2010
  Q: our pit bull somehow broke one of his nails. what should we do?
  A: If it's not bleeding and or your dog does not seem to be affected by it, you don't need to do ...
Dog Grooming8/27/2010
  Q: I've read aloe Vera is poisonous to dogs yet it's in many grooming products. Is it safe externally? ...
  A: Aloe Vera is safe for pets as well as people. The Aloe plant has been used for medicinal purposes ...
Dog breathe8/20/2010
  Q: I am half an ameature for dogs, so I don't know everything I want to know how to cure a bad case of ...
  A: To start, check your food that you are feeding. I suggest a high quality food - Life's Abundance is ...
My vet extracted 4 teeth from my Cavalier8/19/2010
  Q: I took my Cavalier to the vet due to her smelly mouth. He showed me a double rooted tooth that was ...
  A: Yes, I agree with your vet. The breeder should have seen the bite problem and not told you that the ...
avoiding peoples voices8/9/2010
  Q: We have only had her for about 5 days and when you call her name or say anything she won't even look ...
  A: A 10 week old puppy has a lot on their minds with all the activity around them. However it seems ...
American eskimoe8/1/2010
  Q: About 2.5 months ago we took our male Eskimoe to be groomed. We have him some what shaved in the ...
  A: Sorry to hear this. Have you had this kind of clip before and the hair grew back? I have never ...
bathing7/20/2010
  Q: We have a about 10 year old border collie mix who has a hard time with fleas extreme this time of ...
  A: I just wrote an article about fleas, yes they are bad and very hard to get rid of once they are in ...
chocolate labrador7/19/2010
  Q: I have an 11 month old Lab and i was just wondering what are the shedding period. He started to shed ...
  A: Labs shed just about all year long. Summer and fall are heavy shedding times. Brushing daily will ...
Feels Hot at touch.7/15/2010
  Q: I have a 4 month old mini pinscher, only puppy. With all vaccines and is house trainned. He lives ...
  A: I am a professional groomer and handle many dogs and I think sometimes dogs do feel hot. Why they ...
My Alsation dosn't like other dogs :(7/14/2010
  Q: i Bought my Alsation from the dogs home , they say she is 6 years old but the perviosue owner no ...
  A: The Alsatian Dog is also known by the other names of the German Shepherd Dog and the Deutscher ...
food for chihuahuas7/13/2010
  Q: I was using Timberwolf wild and natural however shipping cost have gone sky high, Now I am looking ...
  A: Even though my food that I use is mail delivered too, you may want to check into it. There is a cost ...
sheep shears on extremely matted dog?7/10/2010
  Q: I have an enormous white dog who was dropped at my house with fine EXTREMELY matted hair, she seems ...
  A: That is so sad when dogs get this way. They do feel miserable so we need to help them feel better. ...
puppy food7/8/2010
  Q: After reading your great article on dog food, I wonder if you have any input on the Trader Joe's ...
  A: I don't like the Trader Joe brand as it has ingredients that have no use in a dog's diet. The Bench ...
epsom salt bath for dogs7/7/2010
  Q: When soaking my dog in a epsom salt bath, should I wash with shampoo after or let the salt water dry ...
  A: Combine two cups of Epsom salts with a half cup of baby oil and add to warm bath water. Bath your ...
Thin Hair on my Morkie's ears7/6/2010
  Q: I have a 3 month old Yorkie/Maltese mix. He has very thin (or very short hair/peach fuzz)on the ...
  A: It sounds like your Morkie is lacking something in his system. I suggest you put him on NuVet Plus ...
10 week old Pitbull Pup7/6/2010
  Q: What is a HEALTHY and SAFE way to bulk up a pitbull and at what age can you start doing that? We've ...
  A: Every dog benefits from eating a healthy food that is full of all the nutrients to build a strong ...
bladder problems6/28/2010
  Q: every night when i come home she pees when she sees me when she is really excited she pees. she has ...
  A: Sounds like your pup is just happy to see you. Dogs sometimes urinate when they get excited and it ...
Husky Problems6/24/2010
  Q: I have a problem with my husky. Its female and she is well behaved. I want to know way shampoo I can ...
  A: You can buy a shampoo that is formulated for white dogs, it's a purple colored shampoo. The ...
dog illness6/21/2010
  Q: I have a beagle whos stools are black her coat is turning black not eating or drinking and when she ...
  A: Sorry to hear your beagle is ill. I am not a vet so I can't say if it's a sign of organ failure or ...
Sore on my dogs foot6/17/2010
  Q: I have a 7-year-old rottweiler that has a sore on the top of his foot by his "ankle." It started ...
  A: Is this sore red and oozing? If so, you need to have a vet check it out. Dogs will lick a wound ...
Elderly Shih Tzu6/16/2010
  Q: Freddy, a neutered male Shih Tzu, 13 years old, is the beloved pet of my 90 year old lady friend, ...
  A: You are a very good friend to try to help with Freddy. I think it may be that Freddy has some ...
My Pit Bull6/12/2010
  Q: i have a one year old pit bull. He is a handful but we love him to death, but he has some really bad ...
  A: Dogs will have skin problems if they are allergic to foods, and things in their environment. I ...
joint health supplements6/9/2010
  Q: I have a 75lbs rottie/boxer mix. She turned 2 last October. I have heard that larger dogs have more ...
  A: I only recommend NuVet Plus from NuVet Labs and Agility from Life's Abundance. I personally have ...
My Dog6/6/2010
  Q: I was wondering if my dog's menstral cycle seems heavier this time then any other, should I take her ...
  A: I think you should contact your vet and let them know about the bleeding. He may want to check your ...
my dog do not eat adequte food6/6/2010
  Q: helo, i have a nine month old female dog, presently her body buildup is good, but it is because she ...
  A: You need to get a good dog food and give her just that. No milk, not good for dogs. Call NuVet Labs ...
Husky Under weight6/6/2010
  Q: Good evening, My question is towards my siberian husky who seems to be drastically losing weight ...
  A: I will try to help you. Some dogs have a high metabolism and tend to not put weight on. You did ...
Dog grooming6/4/2010
  Q: We have a 2 year old malti-poo that we need grooming info on. we can only afford to get her groomed ...
  A: Once a month is the usual time for grooming on a dog like yours. I think the groomer should tell ...
My pomeranian was shaved!!!5/25/2010
  Q: I would like to know if there are any problems that may occur from having your Pomeranian shaved all ...
  A: First thing you would want to do is speak with the groomer that did your dog. Ask how bad the ...
shedding5/13/2010
  Q: I have a long haired Chihuahua that I like to keep indoors, but she sheds. Someone told me that ...
  A: Shedding is a natural cycle in every pet's life. There is no one cure, but it can be helped. One of ...
Recommended dog food5/11/2010
  Q: I have a 3 month old pit bull and I want to know what food would be good for him so he can get both ...
  A: I recommend only one food. It's the freshest and delivered right to your door. Check out ...
worried5/6/2010
  Q: my dog is a 12 lb mix breed. yesterday he started limping on his right front paw. he would put some ...
  A: How long is hard to say for sure. Use the pumpkin a few times a day and watch for a change in ...
Wounded Tail4/25/2010
  Q: I have a 5 month male yorkie that was given to me by a lady who is a breeder but a friend of the ...
  A: How sad! Put an antibiotic like Neosporin ointment on several times a day. Wrap the wound in some ...
My beautiful dog is not so pretty4/24/2010
  Q: I have a wonderful American Bulldog named Ashaunna, some say part pit, that is so good and smart. My ...
  A: Sorry you are having all this problem with your dog. It sounds like you have tried a lot of things ...
Your unhelpful reply4/23/2010
  Q: I would like to know if I ask a question and you cannot answer, then why say it is not your ...
  A: Your question was Does giving calcium to male dogs cause leaching of phosphorus from the bones, ...
Food and Tear Stains4/20/2010
  Q: I have an english bulldog who is now 7+ months old. When I got him from the breeder he was 4 months ...
  A: It most likely is the food switch. There are many factors that can play a part in dogs having ...
broken nails4/13/2010
  Q: I have a Staffie that has fairly large nails (compared to our collie) but they are always splitting ...
  A: Poor nail growth and splitting can also be related to poor nutrition, especially lack of minerals ...
dog food and hives4/13/2010
  Q: My dog is a 3ish year old beagle basset mix, and we have been trying to find a food to fit him and ...
  A: Yes, I can help. Your little dog is most likely allergic to poor ingredients in most store bought ...
My poodles won't eat4/5/2010
  Q: I have a toy poodle,9 years old and a Miniature poodle,10 years old. I am trying to get them on ...
  A: I have a great dry food in mind for you to try. There are so many wonderful testimonials about ...
Male sperm potency4/5/2010
  Q: How old is a male puppy when its sperm is potent? We have two Jack Russells and our female, Molly, ...
  A: At that age, yes. If you do breed your dogs, please make sure that you are doing it for all the ...
Shaving my pomeranian3/30/2010
  Q: I adopted a pom from a shelter last summer. He was a stray to the shelter and when they picked him ...
  A: Your pom did grow his hair back just fine? Well then, it should again. We use clippers to shave the ...
Dog Clippers3/29/2010
  Q: ) i have a shih tzu and a maltese. i have had the hardest time finding a good set of clippers for my ...
  A: I like the Andis clippers. The two speed is a good one to try, just be sure you are purchasing the ...
Shearing a Collie3/23/2010
  Q: I just read a Q&A about a person that had a older Collie and didn't want to take it to a groomer ...
  A: Yes, the combs will determine the length of the hair being cut. On Collie's the hair is thick so ...
Naughty Bandit3/12/2010
  Q: Bandit is doing great on his Nuvet & Nujoint. However, I can't get him to let me trim his nails. He ...
  A: So nice to hear from you. I am glad bandit is loving his NuVet, it's great to know a product like ...
Yorkie not eating3/11/2010
  Q: I have a 3 month yorkie she is not eating her food. We have tried the dry dog food that the breeder ...
  A: I have a great food at my website that you can try. I don't know of any dog yet that has not loved ...
dog not pooping and shes puking3/10/2010
  Q: my dog is barely pooping she only poops a little tiny drop of poop and it seems like she has a hard ...
  A: It could be stress, some dogs get very upset when their owners are away. As for the problem, have ...
weird noises from my dog's stomach3/9/2010
  Q: my puppy cocker spaniel will be 1 year old in May of this year and his stomach has been making these ...
  A: When the digestive tract becomes hyperactive, it can make various rumbling and growling sounds ...
my dog3/8/2010
  Q: my dog is 6 months we got it from my dads friend shes very scared and is scared of anything.My ...
  A: I'm going to try to help you with your situation. Dogs that are scared needs to be handled in a ...
white bump on chihuahuas paw3/3/2010
  Q: my dog twilight she is a Chihuahua she has a bump that is round and looks white on her front toe on ...
  A: It sounds like it could be an inter digital cyst… NuVet works wonders for them! Give them a try and ...
GS puppy ears2/27/2010
  Q: we have a 6.5 mos old show dog German shepherd puppy from Germany. his ears r not standing yet but ...
  A: No, it's not to late for the ears to stand. I have known dogs to perk their ears up all of a sudden. ...
NOT EATING2/25/2010
  Q: MY DOG KOKO, SHE HAS KIDNEYS STONES AND SHE IS ON CLAVAMOX AMOXICILLIN, SHE SEEN HER DR. ON TUESDAY ...
  A: I just was given this testimony. I think you may want to try this product. "A Miracle" Our 2 yr ...
Sore on bottom lip2/23/2010
  Q: One of my dogs has a sore on her bottom lip. i'm not really sure what it is or if i should be ...
  A: I just learned that NuVet Plus works wonders on these sores. call 1800-474-7044 use 42299 to save on ...
diarrhea followed by constipation2/10/2010
  Q: Day 1: runny stools followed by diarrhea Day 2: frequent attempts to poop with very little runny ...
  A: Have you changed foods lately? You should consult with your vet about this as it may be something ...
Does my dog have aear infection???2/6/2010
  Q: I have a 5 month old mini schnauzer for the past 3-4 day he has been yelping every time we touch his ...
  A: If your vet didn't see any signs and there is no bad smell I would think that it is not do to an ear ...
Glucosamine Chondroitin2/4/2010
  Q: I have a nine year old golden retriever who is starting to develop soreness and stifness in his ...
  A: I would skip the supplements you are giving your dog and get some that are indeed formulated for ...
My dog has pink eye2/3/2010
  Q: I believe my dog has pink eye. My 4 year old son had pink eye recently. Two questions, is it ...
  A: I am sorry that I will not be able to give you an answer to your questions. I am not a vet so I ...
saliva stains on a white coat2/1/2010
  Q: How do you get rid of saliva stains on a white coat and what is the best dog shampoo for whitening a ...
  A: Saliva stains are caused by licking and that needs to be address. Usually an allergy is the reason ...
ear infections1/31/2010
  Q: I have a standard poodle (Harley), She is constantly battling ear infections. I am the one who does ...
  A: As you know Standard Poodles are prone to ear infections due to the growth of hair inside their ear ...
Very fussy Eater1/28/2010
  Q: I recently rescued a stray Jack Russell, I took him to the vets and got him checked over and got him ...
  A: That is a real problem. Sometimes adding a little peanut butter to the food may help. Perhaps ...
housebreaking a yorkie1/27/2010
  Q: We have a 5 month old precious yorkie. We haven't had but one other inside dog which was also a ...
  A: Does she have a little toy she likes to play with that squeaks? If so, take and hang it by a small ...
7 yr old Black Lab gets funky smell1/12/2010
  Q: Our dog Diesel is just over 7, and occasionally gets a "funks" stink to him. He is very active and ...
  A: It sounds like you need to ditch the collar and buy a new one. The oils and dander from your pet ...
Question about dog grooming1/11/2010
  Q: I went to hair styling school and was wondering if that would be any help to me in this field? Also ...
  A: That's great. Grooming dogs is of course very different than doing human hair, but that fact you ...
Hair color change1/8/2010
  Q: Susan, I have a Yorkie that is 5 and a half years old. She just had surgery in September to close a ...
  A: I do know that surgery will cause this to happen, why? I am not sure. I do know that it will ...
potty training1/7/2010
  Q: I have a 11 month Shim-poor and he still pees and poops on my rugs. we have a big fenced in yard and ...
  A: Sounds like you tried what I would have suggested. How about using a indoor potty? Go to my ...
care for my dog1/5/2010
  Q: I have a 2 year old pyr hybrid, will it hurt to mix a tiny bit of bacon grease with her dog food ...
  A: Yes, please don't give bacon grease to your dog. There are better tasty treats to give such as ...
rescue dog1/3/2010
  Q: we have recently adopted an american staffordshire terrior from a rescue. He is blue in color except ...
  A: The pinkish skin color on the face is normal in these dogs if they are mostly white. The American ...
pecking order1/2/2010
  Q: we have 2 staffs one is male he is 4yrs and a female she is 9mths they have started fighting, what ...
  A: It's odd that a male will fight with a younger female. You can try to keep them apart and only have ...
Cocker Spaniel with GREEN STINKY EAR problems1/1/2010
  Q: I just bathed my granddaughter's dog while she is away on Christmas vacation. He has the stinky, ...
  A: Cockers are pone to ear problems, but the green stuff does not sound good. He should probably be ...
brushing12/31/2009
  Q: i have an 8 yr old sheltie who use to let me brush her some, but has never liked it much, but know ...
  A: First - is there a reason she is upset, perhaps she has some arthritis or another medical condition ...
Dog12/30/2009
  Q: I have a 10 yr old Brussels Griffon ( I think he is 10 I actually got him at the humane society so I ...
  A: He may be just letting you know that he needs to potty more often. Dogs that age can not hold ...
Nail clipping, when the dog doesn't like it.12/27/2009
  Q: I used to work in a pet store, and had to clip the nails of the puppies, but now I'm having a ...
  A: Yes, try a grinder. Some dogs will not tolerate a nail clipper, but will be fine with a grinder. If ...
Dog Weight Loss12/22/2009
  Q: I have a 11 year old Dacshund. Over the last year he has lost an incredible amount of weight. ...
  A: Yes, it can be because of his age that he in thinning down. Add a bit of rice or potato to his diet ...
feeding my japenese akita12/21/2009
  Q: i have tryed near everything with my dog she is 15 months old i only got her a week ago i have tryed ...
  A: I don't know what types of dog food you have in Germany, but you can search out a premium dog food ...
itching12/16/2009
  Q: I have a weimareiner and he is the grey/blue color, he has major skin problems. he itches ...
  A: I know a product that you need to get for your Weimaraner. I know a Weimaraner breeder that works ...
Glucosamine Chondroitin12/15/2009
  Q: I am trying to bake my own Glucosamine Chondroitin Dog cookies. Any suggestions? (ie, what form to ...
  A: You are ambitious, I just buy them already made for my dogs. I am not to sure about making cookies ...
Poodle with Red Paws12/13/2009
  Q: I have a 2 year poodle name Charlie :) We have noticed over the past few weeks that his paws and ...
  A: Yes, there are some things to do. This sounds like a food allergy to me. I am not a vet so I am ...
Itching12/11/2009
  Q: I have a 7 year old Jack Russell. A few weeks ago we found fleas on him. We took him to our ...
  A: Flea bite dermatitis can be very irritating to some pets, however there are some things you can do ...
My puppy layla and peeing when she gets excited12/2/2009
  Q: My puppy is about 6 months old and when she get over excited or scared she starts peeing. I have ...
  A: Puppies do get excited a lot and sometimes it spills over to adulthood. Some training tips for you ...
Boxer dog - best food11/28/2009
  Q: We have a boxer dog who is 4 ever since we can remember he has had skin problems. We have it ...
  A: I am sorry that I can not give a good answer, I am not familiar with pet foods in the UK. I would ...
Using sulfur for dog's itchy skin11/28/2009
  Q: Susan Potts, How much "Sulphur USP Sublimed Powder" should I mix with how much vaseline to put on ...
  A: I was researching this for you and I find that buying a sulphur shampoo that is made for dogs is ...
puppys tail hair falls off11/27/2009
  Q: what if you have a pomeranian mixed with Chihuahua mixed with papillon. and you have two weeks old ...
  A: Sounds like your puppy needs a supplement to boost the immune system so the skin and coat can repair ...
Puppies or Dogs11/20/2009
  Q: 1. What do I used to brush my dog or puppy's teeth beside tootbrush and still make it clean? 2. Can ...
  A: Don't waste your money on Hartz products, they just don't work. Best is Frontline - you need to ...
My Male Pitbull Year 1/2 Old11/20/2009
  Q: I live in a hotel in FL, and i dont have a backyard to frequently let my dog bubba out, and i raised ...
  A: Peeing on the bed is a sign of discontent. He is telling you that he needs more time with you. I ...
food & grooming tips for 11 yr S. husky/wolf11/19/2009
  Q: I've picked up a S. Husky/wolf (1/4) female from the pound. She is 11 yrs old and a little ...
  A: Bless you heart for adopting and eleven year old with some health issues. Most people pass these ...
possessive dog11/19/2009
  Q: I have a 3 year old poodle, she is a very sweet dog, but lately she has been charging at anybody who ...
  A: I have seen this same behavior in a dog I had years ago. I am not a behavior expert so I am not ...
dog11/16/2009
  Q: wot food is best for my pregnant akita
  A: I not sure what foods are in the UK. You can go to the website www.pipschoice.com and click on ...
ear11/15/2009
  Q: My dog, a yellow lab who is three, was out hunting and he got sticky mud in his ear. we washed his ...
  A: Yes, there is NuVet Plus supplements. These are all natural and they are an immune system builder. ...
Smelly dog ears11/14/2009
  Q: My Yellow Lab has smelly ears,been told by vet she has yeast infection. Meds very costly every ...
  A: Yeast infections need to by treated with anti-fungal meds, however there are some preventive ...
puppy food11/11/2009
  Q: I have a 6 month old weimer. We have been feeding him Eukanuba for Large Breeds. I read somewhere ...
  A: Proctor & Gamble is the company that makes Eukanuba, this is also the company that manufactures Air ...
sore11/6/2009
  Q: My 9 year old cocker has a nasty sore on the left side of his mouth. He keeps rubbing his face on ...
  A: First, Have you taken him to see a vet? There may be something that needs to be addressed medically. ...
white and tan shitzu11/4/2009
  Q: I have a 3 yearold male shitzu with skin allergies. The allergies are being treated but his fur has ...
  A: This discoloration is caused by your Shih Tzu's saliva. Saliva contain small amounts of pigments ...
schnauzer temper11/4/2009
  Q: We have a 5 year old schnauzer and a 3 year old pug, both male The schnauzer keeps atttacking the ...
  A: It sounds that your schnauzer just doesn't like the pug. I'm sorry I don't have much to offer in ...
lab puppy teeth11/2/2009
  Q: Our 5 month old lab is losing her puppy teeth. I noticed she still has both sets of her front teeth ...
  A: It is normal for some of the puppy teeth to stay in as the adult teeth come down. However they ...
my fights10/27/2009
  Q: why does my min pin fight on my other dog which is a shih tzu mix? and can she kill him?
  A: Why a dog fights with another can be for many reasons. Is there issues with territory?, food?, ...
Bleaching10/26/2009
  Q: Ill like to start whitening this area before it gets worst and obviously without harming my little ...
  A: The brown stains on can be clipped away by your groomer if you have one. The hair will grow back ...
Will three dogs get along in the same household?10/25/2009
  Q: We have a 2 yr old female spayed G. Shepherd and are planning to adopt another female shepherd, 1 ...
  A: Sure, there is no reason why 3 dogs shouldn't get along with one another. I suggest you spend time ...
Hello10/22/2009
  Q: I am planning to buy either a Maltese or a Shih Tzu puppy, and am confused with making the right ...
  A: I think they are both great little dogs. As far as training goes, the more you work, the better and ...
de-shedding tool10/19/2009
  Q: I have a shedding labradoodle. A groomer advised I purchase a de-shedding tool. She is partial to ...
  A: The Coat-King by Mars strips out a lot of hair. It works by quickly and easily removing loose hair, ...
Green Tea Extract Safe?10/19/2009
  Q: Is it safe to give my Golden a Green Tea Extract once a day (considering that Green Tea prevent ...
  A: I would not give a dog something that is not made for them. The caffeine in the extract is also to ...
My 8 month od pit bull has something like a rash, is there anything I can do?10/17/2009
  Q: Since my dog was 15 weeks old she has had spots on stomach. As she has older, it has spread onto her ...
  A: I am glad you had her looked at by a vet, at least he didn't think it was anything to be to ...
Biting at himself10/16/2009
  Q: My 1 year old Rotti Deziel is biting at himself alot just above his tail. Their doesnt seem to be ...
  A: He may have an allergy that is causing him to bite. Yes, there is something you can try. I ...
Wont eat dry dog/or any dog food10/16/2009
  Q: I have a pom who is just over 1 yr old. I brought her when she was 8wks old. She used to eat dry ...
  A: I would buy the food you want her to eat and be persistent. Dogs that were given table scraps for a ...
itching and barking10/15/2009
  Q: i have a 10yr old Jack Russell. he is getting worse and worse for barking, he barks when you leave ...
  A: I hear your frustration, barking can be an annoyance. First, I would see if there is a medical ...
How do I groom my mixed breed terrier?10/14/2009
  Q: I recently rescued a wonderful russell terrier mix. He is about 2 years old. They say he is mixed ...
  A: Congratulations and good for you to rescue a little dog in need. OK, on grooming him. One of the ...
hair loss10/11/2009
  Q: My 8 year old pit bull and mastiff mix boy is losing his hair on his ribs and back area when I pet ...
  A: What I recommend you to do is get a bottle of NuVet Plus supplements and give two a day, if he is ...
DOG PADS10/10/2009
  Q: I HAVE A SEVEN YEAR OLD HUSKY AND FOR ABOUT THE PAST MONTH HE HAS BEEN KNUCKLING OVER AND HIS LEGS ...
  A: Yes, it's normal for a dog to have soft pads, dogs will slip on hardwood floors because of it. ...
puppy aggression towards adults mealtimes10/8/2009
  Q: I have a 4 year old german shephard and she is a laid back dog. Excellent behavior. We currently ...
  A: Your new German Shepherd puppy is acting this way because he had competition in the past, litter ...
Food10/8/2009
  Q: I was just wondering if Eukanuba is REALLY the best food for my dog? She's a 7 month old puppy and ...
  A: I don't like the ingredients that are in Eukanuba. These are listed first: Chicken, Chicken ...
bad haircut10/7/2009
  Q: We just had our 6 month old yorkie groomed professionally for the first time today. We asked the ...
  A: If she explained about mats then she must have checked your Yorkie out and saw that the mats were to ...
dog grooming - cocker spaniel10/6/2009
  Q: I have a Wahl dog clipper and have the standard size 10 but also bought myself a Size 4. I realise ...
  A: A 4 finishing blade is fine for a cocker clip. To get that smooth look, first bathe your dog and ...
hair loss under tail10/4/2009
  Q: Good Morning. Nine days ago I took our 9 year old, male, neutered, 110 pound, no previous health ...
  A: I can not speculate on what could be wrong because I am not a veterinarian. When ever there is ...
anal glands sore after expressing10/3/2009
  Q: I have a cocker spaniel i just had groomed yesterday. i asked the groomer if she could express his ...
  A: OK, there is a debate over whether a groomer should or shouldn't express anal glands. If done right ...
grooming clippers10/2/2009
  Q: I have used an Oster A-5 clipper for over 15 years on my springers. The blade drags through the ...
  A: I also used an Oster clipper for many years, I now use a Super 2 Speed Model AGC 2. The Andis Super ...
yorkie's change in hair color10/2/2009
  Q: Why did my Yorkie's hair color change?From a light brown face with an all black body at eight wks to ...
  A: Yorkshire Terriers do have a color change in their coats as they age. Many go from a dark ...
question9/30/2009
  Q: what is the best food u can feed a pregnant pug n snacks
  A: Canidae, Life's Abundance, Innova are very good foods to try. There are many others and I'm not ...
Dog food9/30/2009
  Q: I have a 6 yr old chihuahua I adopted, she weighs 6 lbs. I have been feeding her Science Diet but ...
  A: My person opinion about Science Diet is that it is not a good food. Many pet professionals ...
about my dog9/24/2009
  Q: how much should a 10 week old pitbull weigh and what should i feed him
  A: I am not an expert on Pit bull's so I can't tell you about the weight of a 10 week old. As to what ...
yorkie9/22/2009
  Q: thanks
  A: The Yorkie's coat is like hair rather than fur and their coat is constantly growing. A Yorkie's ...
Dogs9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Can you give e a lists of small dogs that does not shed? 2. When adopting or getting a dog what ...
  A: Shih Tzu, Yorkshire Terrier, Maltese, West Highland Terrier, Bichon Frise, Poodles, Italian ...
Dogs9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Tell me what can be great or the benefits that one can get from adoption center of a dog versus ...
  A: It's all about personal preference. Adopting a pet is great for both the animal and you. Buying or ...
Can Diet cause tempory color change in Dalmations?9/14/2009
  Q: I like this web site. I have a 16 year old Dalmation, male, non-neutered. About four or five times ...
  A: I have seen this before in white dogs and your vet is right, it may be something in his diet that ...
Raw diet9/13/2009
  Q: I have recently put my 11yr old yorkie on a raw diet after finding out she has a mild heart murmur ...
  A: Yes, I do. When feeding a raw diet or any diet for that matter, using a supplement is vital for ...
Dog eating lizards9/13/2009
  Q: I recently acquired a Pom. My first dog and he is now 6 mths. He has changed my life completely. I ...
  A: I am sorry that I can't give you an answer to your question. I don't know enough about reptiles to ...
dog part wolf/husky/sheperd9/11/2009
  Q: i put her in a heavy gauge kennel and she chewed the wires 4 of them off and got out and open my ...
  A: While training is not really my expertise, I can give you some suggestions. A wolf/dog hybrid is ...
concerned9/9/2009
  Q: I have a 3mo. old Boston terrier, i noticed a little bump on his head a few days ago, no concern. ...
  A: Not to alarm you, but did you check for fleas? Fleas are in the yards and just about everywhere ...
dogs9/6/2009
  Q: we have just gotten a golden retriever puppy, and school is starting soon. She is fourteen weeks ...
  A: Dogs that are indoors with people are better social companions than pets left outside. Your parents ...
need advice on my dane9/3/2009
  Q: okay well i have a 1.5 year old merel male great dane. he has a rash on his belly and chest and now ...
  A: I am not a veterinarian so I can't even speculate. My suggestion is to get him to your vet and have ...
Sick Dog9/2/2009
  Q: I have a mixed breed dog. He is 9 years old. Over the past month he has had rapid weight loss and ...
  A: Sorry to hear about your sick dog. I am not a vet and can't even speculate what could be wrong with ...
loss of hair9/2/2009
  Q: I have a 10 mo. old Great Pyrenees. I don't brush him everyday, but periodically, like a couple of ...
  A: Actually, it is the right time of year. Great Pyrenees are heavy shedders and the back leg area is ...
dog food9/1/2009
  Q: My dog is picky...1yo Chi/Pug Female..14lbs.. Which food is better Natural Balance food rolls ( Lamb ...
  A: After reviewing both products, I find that Nature's Recipe would be the better choice. It lists it's ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Susan Potts

Top Expert on this page