Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Melissa Wiser

SubjectDate Asked
Separation Anxiety?11/11/2010
  Q: i have owned a german shepard/lab mix for two years. I believe he has separation anxiety. Anytime ...
  A: Trevor; It may be separation anxiety....I would consider giving him more time with another ...
male dogs11/1/2010
  Q: when do male dogs drop there testicles
  A: Billy; I like to see them come down by 8 weeks! If they do not, I don't consider them stud ...
undecsended testicle10/30/2010
  Q: i have a 13 week german shephard puppy and only 1 testicle id decended the vet said they can feel ...
  A: Anne; This dog should be re taken to the Vet in a month. If the testicle is not down, he is a "Crypt ...
Chorkie9/24/2010
  Q: ummm we have a chorkie her name is Bella and she had puppies a week ago and is still bleeding!! is ...
  A: Just had a litter of Danes!! Two weeks ago, she is still bleeding as well....normal if it is not ...
Fluffy9/17/2010
  Q: I was wondering about holistic medicine for my 16 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu which she was diagnosed has ...
  A: I was just recommending the "Holistic" diet to another lady....www.BESTBREED.com, And call them to ...
Labrador Puppies Losing hair around eyes.9/14/2010
  Q: I have two female labrador puppies, @ 2 months old. A Black and a Yellow. The Black has been ...
  A: Just had 12 Great Dane Puppies over the last few days!!! Sorry to be tardy. Yes, there are two ...
dog urinating9/6/2010
  Q: my 2 year old boston terrier has been urinating on the couch and digging there. she urinated on our ...
  A: Kelle; It may be a bit of both....I would have her checked out for sure, to rule out the medical ...
Getting my first dog. Help!8/30/2010
  Q: Hey, Recently my mother has decided that to try and fill the empty feeling in the house, we should ...
  A: I am happy to hear that you are thinking ahead! Before you buy a dog...you will need to figure out ...
Getting a second dog8/27/2010
  Q: We have a Pug/Boston terrier mix named Ellie May. She is 4 yrs. old. We would like a playmate for ...
  A: A Yorkie works well in most environments, and will adapt well with your other Pug Boston mix! Yes, ...
Ridgeback8/5/2010
  Q: My Ridgeback is a cross with Bull Mastiff, but is mostly Ridge. She is 4 years old and is great with ...
  A: It is a bit late in life for her...I would try to get a dog that she dislikes to sleep face to face ...
Dog won't go outside alone - new behavior8/1/2010
  Q: I have a 10 1/2 yr old Corgi who loves the outdoors but will rarely stay outside alone. She doesn't ...
  A: I think it sounds like she is a very smart dog indeed! Once they learn a pattern, they don't forget. ...
Jumping7/29/2010
  Q: I just got an American Bulldog Mix. He is a wonderful dog without a mean bone in his body. Because ...
  A: Derrick; Both of your issues begin with time...and constant working with your issues. The first one, ...
exercise7/22/2010
  Q: I have a 10 yr old mastiff/boxer mix, about 80 lbs. Is he able to go on 30 minute walks? He is ...
  A: Jenny; Walking for large breeds can be a "Hazard", due to the pounding...but, if he is already 10 ...
newborn puppies7/22/2010
  Q: This is our bitch's 3rd litter.. She had 6 puppies on 7/20... Well this morning we discovered two of ...
  A: Brooke; Sorry, have been out of town! You probably are fine by now...but, they don't have to eat the ...
My year old lab biting problems7/19/2010
  Q: I have a one year old chocolate lab. We have had him since he was a puppy. My question is that he ...
  A: Paul; Yes, you are going to need to get him into an "Obedience" class...he is now becoming an adult ...
Large dog with possible poison ivy7/18/2010
  Q: My poor dog has led a rough life to date. Survived parvo that brought on skin mites due to low ...
  A: He may be suffering from Skin Allergies...as you mentioned he has a systemic immune diffency. This ...
soft stool7/17/2010
  Q: My 12 year old Shetland Sheepdog, Lacie Anne is having eating problems. She has stopped liking hard ...
  A: Sandra; I would get her wormed, and tested for either Coccidia or Giardia! These are two parasites ...
reintroducing 2 dogs7/14/2010
  Q: I have 2 dogs that got along really good. On the 4th of July the youngest ran away from the ...
  A: Just give them time, Pam...it must have been a trauma to them both...with the separation! You can ...
New Female Chihuahua with resident male Chihuahua7/10/2010
  Q: I have had my male Chi, Hamlet, since February. He will be a year old in November. He has been a ...
  A: Carly; It could be a number of things from being scared from the changes, to being in a "Pack" ...
One of my dogs keeps peeing on the bed7/8/2010
  Q: We have 3 dogs. The oldest is a 2 and half year old male - cross between a Yorkshire and a Shitzu. ...
  A: Most small breeds are very difficult to potty train! It has to be from when they are young...at this ...
dogs pooing on pavement and driveways7/8/2010
  Q: how do i stop my dogs from pooing on the pavement and driveways. I've tried granules called stop ...
  A: Taunie; The only way I know is to put them in a fenced yard, and keep them completely away from that ...
Bitch Behavior after Birth7/1/2010
  Q: My bitch, Daisy, just gave birth to her first litter almost a week ago. She was wonderful with them ...
  A: She needs to be checked just in case for any infection....but, it can be attributed to a case of ...
rash6/29/2010
  Q: My English Bulldog has rashes that pop up like little soars some the size of a nickle than they ...
  A: Michael; It is time to have her tested at the vet for any immune issues, and have them check for any ...
Dogs and an Expecting Mother6/28/2010
  Q: I hope you can help me out. I have a three year old female Shitzu. She is an inside dog that has ...
  A: Michael; There is no doubt that your Shitzu is smart! She is sensing some changes in your ...
My dog refuses to run6/25/2010
  Q: I own a one year old pitbull terrier and he refuses to run whenever I take him out, he only walks ...
  A: Jose; This dog could be suffering from some "Arthritic" pain, or from diet changes which effect the ...
Potty Training, How to Get Him to Tell Me When he Needs Out6/24/2010
  Q: My puppy is a Chorkie (Chihuahua/Yorkie mix)and is just about 11 months old, and even though he is ...
  A: A lot of small breeds are virtually "impossible" to Potty train, unless you are constantly with them ...
Older dog angry6/23/2010
  Q: A year ago I brought a new Maltese puppy into my house. My Maltese of 3 years was not thrilled but ...
  A: This is not uncommon with new Pets added into the equation... I would crate them nose to nose at ...
10 week old puppy chewing up everything6/17/2010
  Q: I just got a 10 week old Dachshund puppy last Saturday. I think she is still adjusting, I doubt it ...
  A: Amy; Keep her in an "Exercise" pen or secure area while she is growing....using the "Classic" Potty ...
dogs6/11/2010
  Q: We have a minature pincher has sore on back of neck itching and fur loss. But it is also spreading ...
  A: That sounds like "Mange" Kim. You will need to have the dogs taken to the vet for some skin ...
Yorkie Training6/8/2010
  Q: In recent weeks she has begun pooping all over the house even on the couch. I have never had this ...
  A: Natasha; I know all about this, as I have Yorkies too! Some are "Impossible" to stop! They have a ...
Nuetered6/6/2010
  Q: I have a 6 yr old male Pit Bull Is it safe for me to get him fixed at his age. He has been breed 4 ...
  A: As far as the age for doing an operation, your Vet will have to be consulted first to see how his ...
Pregnant?6/1/2010
  Q: Our bitch went into heat and we thought she got pregnant but are not sure now. It's been 63 day. Her ...
  A: Hannah; If you have not had any puppies by now, then your female is considered "False pregnant". ...
after giving birth5/30/2010
  Q: why is my chihuahua not leaving her puppies to go eat or have some water and could there be ...
  A: Darlene; With the holiday, I was unable to get back with you earlier...but, the dog should be eating ...
Chihuahua aggression??5/27/2010
  Q: We have a 9 year old female spayed Lhasa Apso and recently bought an 8 week old male chihuahua home. ...
  A: Some smaller breeds are very territorial. So, I feel that you did the right thing by returning the ...
Behavior Question5/25/2010
  Q: I have a rescue dog (Border Collie), she was from Oklahoma Border Collie Rescue in 2009, nearly 100 ...
  A: Patricia; This is a difficult answer to give indeed, cause she sounds like a great dog, but, has ...
Jack Rat Terrier5/25/2010
  Q: My daughter has left her 1 1/2 yr.old neutered male with me. He was never house-broken or given any ...
  A: Sounds like you are at the "End of your Rope"...but, nothing is impossible...just time consuming! ...
Dog pooping in house5/24/2010
  Q: I just adopted a 9-10 month old dog from a rescue after losing my 2 older dogs in the last 5 months, ...
  A: Yes, it sounds like there is jealousy in your equation! I would take the two together, and train ...
dog socialisation5/24/2010
  Q: i have two 8 year old male bichon freise X silky terriers. They seem to be petrified of any other ...
  A: Trish; You will need to take the dogs to a "Socialization" class...as the word means to "Socialize"! ...
adopted puppy and my 3yr old Aussie not getting along.5/23/2010
  Q: My husband and I recently adopted a 5 month female-spayed lab mix. When we brought her home, we ...
  A: Nicole, Again, it sounds like a "Jealousy" issue! The older dog, has its feelings hurt...and yes, ...
Hyper sensitive and new puppy5/19/2010
  Q: I have a standard poodle who barks at everything, she is hyper sensitive to her environment and ...
  A: Mandy; The best thing to do is to get your pup and your adult to a Class! Even though you live in a ...
two male rat-tierrer mix5/18/2010
  Q: I have a dog that we adopted, his name is Peety. It has been a year now. I adopted another male dog ...
  A: Nelda; When there are two of the same sex, it always happens that one will want to dominate the ...
Dog5/17/2010
  Q: We are wanting another dog but we aren't sure if one dog is better then two?
  A: Alli; One dog at a time is the key to successful raising and training of your new Pet! If the one ...
Housebreaking an older dog - in an apartment.5/16/2010
  Q: This is quite a problem. I just adopted a 6 year old beagle who has been confined most of her life ...
  A: Lauren; I have previously answered this type of problem, in many different emails... But, I will ...
puppy behavior5/11/2010
  Q: My husband and I have had our golden doodle Lucy for 2 years (wonderful dog!) and last year rescued ...
  A: When you get a group of dogs together, they form their own "Pack", thus a "pecking order" starts! ...
Dog stopping on Walks5/10/2010
  Q: I would like to know if you could give me some insight as to what you would attribute my dog ...
  A: He could be tired, and suffering from Arthritis, as an X ray won't show that! Or, he could just be ...
Dog not urinating5/9/2010
  Q: Yesterday my 98 pound American Akita was hit by a car - his back right leg is broken - upper limb. ...
  A: Cynthia; He needs to go back to the VET asap! He may be shutting done...in renal failure! You could ...
Ear Crop5/6/2010
  Q: I have an eight week old female pitbull. I'm very sentimental over animals so I feel bad in wanting ...
  A: Any kind of Ear crop in my opinion is seriously "PAINFUL"! I am not a believer in it, unless it is a ...
puppy chihuahua biting owner5/3/2010
  Q: I have a 6 month old female chihuahua and a 9 year old male chihuahua. I had a 16 year old ...
  A: I would be concerned for sure! This is a sign of things to come...so, get to an obedience class or ...
Training aged Boxer.5/1/2010
  Q: My Boxer bitch is an year old. She has not been properly trained when she was younger. She doesn't ...
  A: Anything is possible, with much time and patience...is it probable?? Well, that is not for me to ...
Chewing Things Up4/30/2010
  Q: My mini schnauzer is 1 yr. Topper loves stuffed animals but can't keep them b/c he chews the ...
  A: Linda; It is simple for attention! Some dogs are so smart, they rather get "Negative" reinforcement ...
Barking4/29/2010
  Q: I have two bichon frise puppies and every day when i leave the house they start to bark and howl. I ...
  A: Have you tried the Interactive toy, from Kong that you can stuff with peanut butter and biscuits? I ...
potty training4/28/2010
  Q: Your question was Lily is a 3 mos. old beagle she refuses to go outside to do her business we live ...
  A: Joyce; This is a computer generated response. The Answer is on the previous answered questions about ...
Dog's obsession with rocks4/26/2010
  Q: My dog has an obsession with rocks. She will pick them up, carry them around, drag them around with ...
  A: Todd; Some dogs have toys of different things that they get into. Rocks are probably something she ...
AND GRANDSON MAKES 44/25/2010
  Q: I'm writing on behalf of my in-laws. They have a new grandson, my nephew, and it seems to have upset ...
  A: I would recommend that you go to a Specific Behavior specialist, to see exactly what is happening in ...
re: your response4/24/2010
  Q: I sent you a question last week regarding my 2-year-old Izze who has suddenly been unable to be left ...
  A: I have given the answer in previous potty training, with an almost duplicate situation. You need to ...
housebreaking 1 yr old cockapoo4/24/2010
  Q: We have a 1 yr old male cockapoo, we are having a hard time breaking him from pooping in the house ...
  A: No neutering him, will not stop this problem. You will need to get him to a training specialist in ...
staff pregnancy4/21/2010
  Q: how can i tell if my staff is pregnant?she mated with another male staff for approx 10 mins!are ...
  A: Swelling of breasts, appetite loss, ie: Morning sickness; Also, mood changes, somewhat like a human, ...
Bonding w/ my new dog4/20/2010
  Q: My husband and I recently adopted a 15 mos (est. age) lab/pit mix from the humane society. We have ...
  A: Michelle; Although I know you are going to be worried, you need to go on your trip! The best option ...
my 7 month old dog i just adopted will not go to the bathroom outside4/19/2010
  Q: I adopted a 7 month old lab mix from the pound she is amazingly paper trained! so far she goes on ...
  A: I understand this problem, I have one doing it right now I just adopted, it is very difficult to get ...
Dog urinating4/17/2010
  Q: My son has a boxer that was house trained. This dog never urinated in the house until his girlfriend ...
  A: Teresa; Yes, when dogs are in heat the males are driven to "Mark their Territory"! They will ...
My Rat Terrier4/17/2010
  Q: I have a 1 year old rat terrier and she's the best. She's very hyper and sweet. The only problem ...
  A: She probably has some habit from her puppy days, and now it is instilled in her to carry them ...
peeing and pooping in house when lefted alone.4/16/2010
  Q: i have a 4 year old maltee-poo. we have only had her four about 6 months. lately everytime we leave ...
  A: I have given several answers to this same problem in prior questions...please look them up about ...
potty training4/9/2010
  Q: have 2 shih tzu's (sisters) they are a little over 4 mo. old. One is housebroken but the other ...
  A: Since you mentioned she is the "Runt", she may have some development issues! You should take her to ...
my pit bull's ears4/5/2010
  Q: i have a blue pitbull who will be a year in August. But recently his ears have started to bother ...
  A: There are a few ear problems that mimic each other! Anywhere from Fungus, to a plain scratch that ...
Bald Elbows?4/4/2010
  Q: I was just wondering if you know what is wrong if a dog's elbows go bald, I have 3 dogs, a ...
  A: I will give you the first answer, but, it doesn't mean it is correct. They are sitting on a hard ...
Dogs paw4/3/2010
  Q: I have a 9 year old yellow lab that has a werid patch inbetween her toes on her paw. It looks almost ...
  A: When in doubt, always safer than sorry...without my being able to see it, I am in the dark. So, I ...
toilet training4/2/2010
  Q: 1) that a medical issue please hello i got my dog 3 weeks ago from someone who dont want her ...
  A: It sounds like she is having a very bad reaction to the vaccinations you gave her! I would take her ...
Dog Urinating3/30/2010
  Q: Ms. Wiser, and thanks for volunteering to field questions! This is NOT a question about ...
  A: Sometimes dogs do use this kind of "Behavior" for Attention getting! I am sure she is able to keep ...
my dog chews everything inside the house3/27/2010
  Q: i have a 8 mths old dog, she is a mixture of husky samoyan and labrador.she is impossible and chews ...
  A: You must give her more "Outside" time! She is a Large dog with lots of drive..she is bored. So, set ...
2 year old puggle (housebreaking)3/26/2010
  Q: I have a puggle that is about 2 years old now. I have always kept him in a crate when I am not ...
  A: Some small breeds are almost if not "Impossible" to Potty train.. I would keep him in a Exercise ...
Dog's hind leg3/25/2010
  Q: My dog is 10, and just recently stopped jumping up on the couch or anything else as he was ...
  A: Absolutely, this can be a sign of "Arthritis"...and any other bone degeneration.. I would put him on ...
Behaviour3/24/2010
  Q: I have 3 golden cocker spaniels. One female and 2 males. The oldest male sometimes bite people when ...
  A: Some people don't believe that "Behavior" traits are genetic! I absolutely do!!! This dog needs more ...
dog, breasts, two plump but no milk3/20/2010
  Q: The very two bottom (closest to butt) are nice an plump and hanging but I can not seem to squeeze ...
  A: Colin; She may have "Mastitis " in which will need to see a VET. Please have her checked, as an ...
pregnancy in females3/19/2010
  Q: I was wondering at what point in the pregnancy you start to feel the puppies moving around ?
  A: Sometimes you never feel them moving around...but, sometimes you see them moving! They start to look ...
weird dog behavior3/15/2010
  Q: my dog is 9 years old and even when she was a puppy we never had any problems with her chewing ...
  A: Usually dogs act differently, when there is something new in their "Equation"! Did something change ...
Puppy/Dog Biting Habit3/14/2010
  Q: i have a German Shepherd puppy for about 6 months now, and he's 7 months old and has a biting habit. ...
  A: Brandon; This kind of Behavior is a true example of "German Shepherd Prey Drive"!! You will need to ...
Puppy Problems3/14/2010
  Q: I have a 7 month old yorkiepoo puppy who is very affectionate and playful. For the first few months ...
  A: Natasha; While she has been sick, the role reversal has changed where she was in the environment too ...
housebreaking my 10wk old Lhasapoo3/10/2010
  Q: I am having a hard time housebreaking my puppy and also getting her to use the bathroom outside, ...
  A: Theresa; The answer is simple do not let her back in until she "Potty's" outside!! Make sure you ...
new dog agressive with husband3/7/2010
  Q: what can we do. he might have been abused by a man. he will go to my husband and let him pet him ...
  A: Jackie; This is going to be a very "Slow" process...because of the abuse, and when a dog is that ...
pug3/7/2010
  Q: Believe one placenta did not come out but now she still discharging little black icky stuff is this ...
  A: Miriam; She needs to go in asap! The discharge is a sign of a Placenta being retained, and this will ...
dogs3/6/2010
  Q: i have a 4 month old rottweiler.. how can i train him to not go to the bathroom in the house while ...
  A: Rottweilers are slow growing! They don't mature until they are two years old...while they are ...
my dogs pregnancy3/5/2010
  Q: my dog produced milk today about how long untill she begins labor
  A: Dogs can actually start producing milk up to two weeks before they deliver...not common, but ...
laping/licking/me3/4/2010
  Q: I have a street dog I took in when it was about 6-9 months old. We've had her for about 18months. ...
  A: It is obvious Glenn, that your dog loves you!! This is their sign of affection. So, if you are not ...
Infected Bumps on Lower Lip 9 y/o Cocker Mix2/28/2010
  Q: My 9 year old cocker/husky mix has been rubbing her face on the carpet and scratching at the sides ...
  A: Yes, she sounds like she is getting some kind of bacterial infection may be from the rawhides??? It ...
GS puppy ears2/27/2010
  Q: we have a 6.5 mos old show dog German shepherd puppy from Germany. his ears r not standing yet but ...
  A: First of all Hakan; All genetics are different, but, usually it takes the dog until they stop ...
Vaccines!!2/23/2010
  Q: I have a 15 months old pomeranian, I bought her last march, she had her dhppc vaccine, and her ...
  A: Serene; The only way to know with the Rabies vaccine is to find out what type of vaccine she was ...
coat colour as indicator of health2/20/2010
  Q: I am looking to purchase a toy or miniature poodle and have been talking to various ...
  A: What you are probably hearing about is the fact that the Black gene will be the most dominant, and ...
elderly chocolate lab2/20/2010
  Q: I inherited my brother's 12 year old chocolate lab in October 2009 when my brother passed away here ...
  A: When a older dog is moved into a new environment, it is truly traumatic! Especially since he is ...
aggression2/19/2010
  Q: i hope you can help me, if a male and female are aggressive, do their puppies have to turn out to be ...
  A: there are two main factors for dog aggressiveness; one, genetics, and two, socialization! I would ...
2 Yr old male pomeranian2/18/2010
  Q: I have a 2 yr old male pomeranian. He is losing his hair all across his back and hind legs. The skin ...
  A: We have had no internet due to weather.. He sounds like he could have mange, but, for sure, he needs ...
Dog behavior2/16/2010
  Q: I have a slightly embarrassing question to ask about my dog. He is about four years old, a neutered ...
  A: All dogs will hump even females as a sign of dominancy....so, I feel he is remembering something in ...
NEW DOG OLD DOG BARKING2/15/2010
  Q: I HAVE A SHIU-POO 6YEARS OLD BENJI & WE GOT ANOTHER PUPPY A PUGANEESE. I HAD THE PUPPY ABOUT A MONTH ...
  A: Elaine; I would hire someone to take care of him while you are recooperating, or send him to ...
anus intestine comes out2/12/2010
  Q: My puppy was fine this morning, but when I come from work I saw she was restless and it seems she ...
  A: Genetics are part of this equation, it just may be a coincidence that the symptoms come out when ...
Which breed should we get?2/11/2010
  Q: my husband and I are considering adopting a puppy from the shelter. We live in a high rise and the ...
  A: I am not a fan of "Rescuing" a dog! As there are many pitfalls indeed! The dogs are in the position ...
Frequent Urination2/10/2010
  Q: We have a male puppy, he is about six months old. He urinates frequently. He can hold it and not ...
  A: Did you neuter him? This is a marking trait, and this will not stop until he is fixed for sure. ...
Puppy House Training2/8/2010
  Q: I have a 13wk Cairn Terrier Pup and she tends to wee at least every 15 mins. She was paper trained ...
  A: Maria; She may be holding it, as she is confused to where she is and where her "Potty Area" is. I ...
Crate Training a Puppy2/8/2010
  Q: My family is getting a 8 wk old Vizsla in April. We are planning on crate training it with a crate ...
  A: Absolutely, don't keep him in a crate that long..yes, you will teach him that is his area to ...
Acknowledgement of New born not Toddler Son2/8/2010
  Q: I have a Maltese that is 13 years old that I have had since he was 4 years old. When I got pregnant ...
  A: Yes, you have reason to be concerned...but, at this age, the dog has formed his temperament. So, the ...
puppy born with three toes?2/5/2010
  Q: i purchased a yorkshire terrier akc registered for 500 dollars took her to the vet had her checked ...
  A: Jina; Yes, this is a genetic defect! Although you paid $500. I would not consider that price a Full ...
Sleep2/4/2010
  Q: We have 2 high strung Jack Russells that we love very much. They sleep in a kennel and I get up ...
  A: You are going to have to see if they can sleep through the night It will be next to impossible, but, ...
new pup with sick dog2/2/2010
  Q: We are getting a new puppy in a couple days, our 7 yr old llewellen setter has cancer in his mouth ...
  A: Actually, we have found, that older dogs and sick dogs are spurred by new puppies in their lives! It ...
jealousy2/1/2010
  Q: Why are Boxers so jealous? What can I do to eliminate this problem toward my other dog. They use to ...
  A: Sara; They are bred for Drive! So, they will be protective of the ones they love!!! I would ...
recently adopted1/31/2010
  Q: We have recently adopted a Chinese crested powder puff. He was with a woman who was very vague ...
  A: sounds really sad! My heart goes out to you and the dog!!! Be ready to go through a lot, as rescuing ...
Great Dane1/28/2010
  Q: I have recently purchased a ten week old male Great Dane. When he first came home he was very laid ...
  A: This dog is really young, and you are asking a lot from him...you may be scaring him! I would let ...
Puppy sleeping1/27/2010
  Q: Once night he slept in my room and ever since that he wont sleep downstairs, he cries and barks ...
  A: Well this is not going to be easy...you have taught him the finer things in life...he will be very ...
knee pain1/26/2010
  Q: i have a 2 yr old teacup chihuahua 2.4 lbs. she was born w/dislocated knee caps. (per vet.) shes ...
  A: Sorry to hear about this! I would put her on a glucosomine med right away with chrondrotin and msn ...
Aggression towards sick dog1/25/2010
  Q: We have a 6 year old Sheltie Mix (Sasha) and a 4 year old lab mix (Jewels) both rescues, both as ...
  A: I would definitely take her to get checked out on that Medication! This would be a real key to what ...
Dog growls at son1/23/2010
  Q: We went to adopt a rescued southern dog 10 mth-old shepherd mix last night. They couldn't tell me ...
  A: Yes; Karre, this is the entire problem when you "Rescue" a dog...the term is just that! I would be ...
Our dog is afraid of us1/21/2010
  Q: I hope you can help us. Our 10 month old shih-tzu poodle cross male - Quincy - is scared of us. ...
  A: I know you must be very worried, as your letter reflects a lot of concern and care for your dog! I ...
Missing schnauzer1/20/2010
  Q: I recently lost my Lucy to kidney failure. She was a schnauzer and I also have Max (schnauzer). Max ...
  A: I would go with a very laid back breed, like a basset hound, or a smaller breed dog like a ...
Lhasa Apso Jack Licking Obsession1/20/2010
  Q: Our 3.5 year old Lhasa, Jack licks our 2.5 your old black Lab, Harley continually. Harley takes it ...
  A: That is quite cute actually...but, it is a "pack behavior"...and Jack thinks he is in charge, and ...
potty training1/19/2010
  Q: I have a 10 week old Afghan puppy. We are working on potty training in conjunction with crate ...
  A: I have seen this type of behavior with dogs that need to be outside more than inside! She is a ...
Weird Eating Habits1/18/2010
  Q: My moms little dog, when eating will take a bite and walk off, then chew it up,,over there. He was ...
  A: I am sure this seems weird to you, but, when a dog has the "competition" think going he has to sneak ...
My Dog's Tail1/17/2010
  Q: A horse stepped on the tip of my dogs tail and took all the skin and meat off and now about 2 inches ...
  A: Kim; I would not wait, I would take him to the emergency, as you can get a serious infection without ...
pack barking1/15/2010
  Q: We have a 5 year old sheltie and recently, about 2months ago have added a Newf now 4 months old to ...
  A: Robin; You are going to have to get used to Barking with two different dogs! That is what they do to ...
housetraining1/14/2010
  Q: I have a four month old male cockapoo. He was born in Sept. We brought him home in Nov. I tried ...
  A: This is a very smart breed Michelle; I am sure the bells are a great stimulus, but, yes, I think you ...
Pee-Pad training1/13/2010
  Q: I have adopted a 1 year old dog from Ginger's Pet Rescue in Seattle, WA. He is potty trained to go ...
  A: Best thing is to contain him in a small area, like a bathroom laying down wall to wall pee ...
labour1/13/2010
  Q: my Labrador dog is due on 21st Jan but has become clingy, whining at me , not eating and always ...
  A: Theresa; Yes, definitely signs of labor coming! No particular time, so, watch for digging, and ...
Feeding1/13/2010
  Q: I've been told that's is very easy to over feed a shi-tzu. Muffin is 6 months old. My question ...
  A: It really depends on the type of Diet you are feeding!! All diets are different, and depending on ...
saint behavior1/12/2010
  Q: My 6 year old St.Bernard, who probably is in heat (I thought she was in heat in Nov) is suddenly ...
  A: Yes, they have a "Split" heat cycle some times, and with them not ever bred, it will repeat more ...
New mother mistreating her pups1/11/2010
  Q: From far away Israel - please help. Our beautiful pedigreed Border Collie has recently had 5 pups - ...
  A: This is "Mother Natures Way" of telling you it is Time to Wean this Litter! She is done. I would not ...
Puppy peeing when owners arrive home1/10/2010
  Q: We trained our now 7-month shih tzu by the book and did everything right. She is a wonderful dog. ...
  A: Yes, I think she is doing this for attention, although negative in nature, she is lonesome for you! ...
can a sibirian husky live in buenos aires?1/9/2010
  Q: I'm a 15-year-old girl and now i live in greece but in one year from now we are going to go to ...
  A: ..I wish more adults would be as wise as you are already thinking ahead!!! I know you will be around ...
puppies and older dog and crates1/8/2010
  Q: Good Afternoon-thank you for taking the time to read my questions. We're experienced dog owners- ...
  A: I hope I am answering your question, as there was a lot of information. But, when you bring in more ...
dog eating poop1/5/2010
  Q: my 6mo. old Scotty continues to eat poop. I really think she thinks she is cleaning up after ...
  A: Some dogs get in the habit from birth...Cherie; It is very difficult now at this age to break this ...
New Puppy behavior1/4/2010
  Q: Three weeks ago, we purchased a 4 mth old Yorkie Poo puppy (Scamp)and he is constantly jumping up at ...
  A: Well I guess you picked the right name for "Scamp"!!! LOL Anyways, you will have to understand, that ...
new mother1/2/2010
  Q: my dog had puppies several days ago and is having a blood tinged discharge from her vagina and it ...
  A: Harriet; Blood discharge is normal, as for all mammals after giving birth...the only difference if ...
Puppy Biting1/2/2010
  Q: I have a 8 month old German Shepherd puppy for about 4 months now, who constantly bites clothing and ...
  A: Shepherds, especially are known for their "Prey drive"! This is going to need to be channeled, as ...
puppies12/31/2009
  Q: I interested in getting a puppy chih. i really would like to get 2. my problems is i work 8 hours ...
  A: Yes, a lonely puppy is a recipe for lots of problems...it would be best to get two while you are ...
pug pups12/31/2009
  Q: may i know to how many pups do pug give birth???
  A: On Average, a small dog will have around 4 pups Rohit; But, to know for sure, you must take your ...
weight12/31/2009
  Q: I am a first time pit owner, i was just looking through pics of pitbull, my pit zoey looks alittle ...
  A: Jeremy; I will tell you that the weight is not the answer, it is the dog's make up that will ...
St. Bernard mouthing me12/30/2009
  Q: I have a female St. Bernard who is 14 months old. When she gets excited she opens her mouth and put ...
  A: Raeshelel; This is to show who is the "Boss"! Obviously, she is in need of some training, as you do ...
pug teeth12/28/2009
  Q: my 1 year old male pug has 2 teeth in the same spot at both fang teeth they dont hurt or bother him ...
  A: It is not a big problem, it is the "Baby Teeth" being retained. It happens a lot in smaller breeds! ...
how do i dispose of earmites12/25/2009
  Q: I am having quite some trouble with my dog. He has all the symptoms of earmites but no remedy or ...
  A: If the dog has been diagnosed for earmites, it is is simple...use Ivormectin in the ear once every ...
scar on elbow12/24/2009
  Q: i have a 3 months old labrador X rotweiller puppy she is energetic and loves to play but there is ...
  A: Merry Christmas; Archie; I would recommend you take him to the vet for the scar, as it could be ...
staffy bull terrier12/23/2009
  Q: my 4 yr okd staffy is house trained. but recently she has pee,d in our lounge over night, whilst we ...
  A: She may have an infection, or is she spayed? If not, she may be coming into heat. I would watch her, ...
Housebreaking my 13 week old puppy12/22/2009
  Q: I need serious help with my dog. Shes a 13 week old pitbull/lab mix. She doesn't like to go potty ...
  A: You will need to leave your puppy outside, until she does go "potty". Right now she thinks her ...
a companion for my min pin12/22/2009
  Q: I have a ten month old male min pin (he is neutered) and want to some day get a fellow canine ...
  A: Happy Holidays Brittani! I would always recommend male to go with a female, and this way you never ...
13 wk bulldog puppy peeing in crate12/21/2009
  Q: We purchased a female bulldog puppy two weeks ago. She was able to sleep through the night without ...
  A: She is thinking that her crate is her "Pee" area! So, you will need to reverse the pattern. Keep her ...
rottweiler, siberian husky, bloodhound?12/21/2009
  Q: We are thinking about getting a rottweiler, Siberian husky and bloodhound (probably male, unless ...
  A: It is always tricky to raise all three at the same time! I would do only two, and try to see how it ...
shi tzu with very raw nipples12/21/2009
  Q: My 2 yr. old shi tzu delivered 2 pups about 13 hours ago (1 pup died) and she shows very little to ...
  A: Brenda; By now you will hopefully have seen a Vet. yes, she has "Milk fever"! You will need to get ...
dogs and kids12/20/2009
  Q: I have a 2 1/2 year old cockapoo who up until today has not been a problem with kids. This morning ...
  A: I have been tied up with a New litter! The problem now is that the dog is afraid he is going to be ...
Scared Shih Tzu12/19/2009
  Q: We rescued a 3 year old male 2 months ago. His background was kept in a crate for 3 years and had to ...
  A: Wendi; I am sorry to hear about your dog's plight! It is soooo sad to know there are "Animals" in ...
dogs12/18/2009
  Q: how to stop my 6 month old puppy from dominating (jumping on runting bumping) the 8 week old puppy ...
  A: All dogs will have a "Pecking order", as in the wild. We are given the ability to help the situation ...
dog pooping in house12/14/2009
  Q: i always bring him out first thing in the morning and after each meal and at night before we go to ...
  A: When you leave him in this area, this signifies it is "His" territory, and so, he thinks it is okay ...
weimaraner not in season12/12/2009
  Q: we have a female weimaraner who is exactly 12 moonths on 13/12/2009. as yet she has not come in to ...
  A: I have been in inclement weather, so, no computer! Females, vary from dog to dog, just like all ...
jack Russell12/11/2009
  Q: I emailed you a few weeks ago querying whether or not my jack Russell could be coming in to season ...
  A: Yes, if she is not bleeding by now, she is not in heat...but, she still could be coming into one. ...
Weather and Outside Dogs12/10/2009
  Q: I have 3 dogs, a Boston Terrier, a Boxer and a Mastiff. We recently moved and are not allowed to ...
  A: I am sure that they will be fine. If the temperature is colder, around 15 or lower, then I would ...
Urine in blood12/9/2009
  Q: I have a 2 year old female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who has been spayed. She recently ...
  A: Blood in the urine is indicative of infection, or another problem in the body. I recommend you take ...
jack russell12/9/2009
  Q: im gettin a jack russell 10 month old female on 23rd as my cousin cant keep her due to movin what ...
  A: Measure the dog's neck with a tape measure in inches...then add two fingers more, so, that you can ...
schitzu training problems12/7/2009
  Q: I am in desperate need of some training advice for a 2-3 years old male, neutered schitzu. His ...
  A: I feel really sorry for you. It is a horrible thing to adopt an older dog that has had no ...
Dog or puppy12/6/2009
  Q: 1. Do you think the money spend on dog or puppy worst it or a waste of money? ANSWER: Henry; That ...
  A: If your dog has Mange Henry; You need to take it to the Vet for sure, to check what kind of Mange it ...
Puppy tail12/6/2009
  Q: I had my boxer puppies tails docked on wednesday, today in the push with other puppies to nurse, one ...
  A: Yes, it should be just fine...just keep it dry. Put a bit of neosporinn on it to keep infection out! ...
grapes/chocolate12/5/2009
  Q: I have read in numerous places that these are bad for dogs. My boxer ate a pound of dark swiss ...
  A: I would not take chances with my beloved friends...I know you don't have any issues, But, not to say ...
Puppy12/5/2009
  Q: 1. when our puppy or dogs is taking to the Vet, what is all the problems that he or she has? 2. I ...
  A: Henry; I am sure you are taking really great care of the dog. I can see from your questions, that ...
Dog or puppy12/3/2009
  Q: 1. Is it okay to bath my puppy or dog everyday? 2. Can a puppy or dog killed us? eg. can we catch ...
  A: How are you? I have answered some of these questions for you in the previous emails...but, I will ...
Scared Chihuahua12/3/2009
  Q: My wife works at an animal shelter and recently we moved and decided to foster a 5 year old ...
  A: Kevin; When you "Rescue" a dog...you never know what happened to it before you got involved....thus, ...
pit bull12/3/2009
  Q: My 3 month old puppy a boy skin is Turing pink on his face and ears stomach and legs he is and white ...
  A: I would suggest you take him to the Vet, and have him look at him. I would not venture to guess ...
Puppy Training12/2/2009
  Q: I am wondering if you could please help me out. What would you suggest is the most effective method ...
  A: I can tell you are very concerned with your New Dog!! That is great... Let's get down to " Basics"! ...
Dog12/2/2009
  Q: My dog has patches of hair missing from her body in random places and she isnt eating her food as ...
  A: I would take the Puppy to the Vet, to see if she has Mange, or mites. This condition will need ...
Growling ar our kids12/2/2009
  Q: weve had a husky and german sheperd before this time we thaught a alaskan malamute would be a good ...
  A: Absolutely get him into class!! You are looking at a behavior problem for sure..and it will get ...
Shih tzu/poodle mix12/2/2009
  Q: I have a Shih-poo who is 9 months old. I just recently got him from a co-worker. He constantly ...
  A: Yes, it definitely could be skin allergies....as well as Yeast in the ears. I would take the dog to ...
house training12/1/2009
  Q: my yorkie pup is 6 mths old an she has just recently started to chew and rip the wallpaper off the ...
  A: It is obvious, she is trying to get your attention! You will need to select an area, and get an ...
Breeding my yorkie11/30/2009
  Q: I have studied breeding my yorkie for some time now and have finally chosen the dog i wish to breed ...
  A: Tasha; I have been traveling for the Holiday; Yes, you should take them both to the vet for help. ...
new dog acting agressively11/30/2009
  Q: We adopted a one year old spayed female pocket beagle two weeks ago who has been dominating/acting ...
  A: Have been out of town for the Holiday....I can tell you that the way to work in a new dog into the ...
Discharge 2 Weeks After Whelp11/29/2009
  Q: My bitch whelped her puppies (German Shorthaired Pointers) on November 13 (16 days ago). She had ...
  A: Sarah; I definitely would take her into the Vet, just in case. She may have a slight infection, some ...
my dog eats plants!!!11/29/2009
  Q: my dog eats plants and after somewhile she vomits. this makes me realy pissed off i have to clean ...
  A: I am sure that cleaning up from her is a problem, and actually, she could get poisoned with some ...
when to mate a dog11/28/2009
  Q: how long does a dog stay in heat? from the time the dog gets in heat when is it a good time to mate ...
  A: Hope your Thanksgiving was great! The female dog usually stays in heat about 21 days...her best time ...
Full grown Shih Tzu's skin disorder11/27/2009
  Q: my dog Taki, a fully grown female shih tzu (my guess is around 6-7 years old), has a really bad ...
  A: Taki, does sound like a "Classic" case of "Skin allerigies"...but, just in case, you will need her ...
Not kid-friendly11/25/2009
  Q: We rescued our Bichon Frise/Yorky mix when she was a year old. She is now 2 1/2. When we got her she ...
  A: It is so difficult to "Rescue" a dog...as this is what you are actually doing! You never know what ...
Scatching and Pawing11/25/2009
  Q: I have two dogs and I have a non-related question about each of them. 1. The first puppy is my new ...
  A: You could have a "Yeast infection" growing in the ear, and it will make your dog scratch and itch ...
pug11/25/2009
  Q: I have a female pug got her on 9/23 she tied up wit my male pug on 9/24 n on 9/29 twice can she b ...
  A: Absolutely Miriam, Those are the signs of pregnancy....so, be prepared you are due anytime! You will ...
Existing dog not "Enjoying" new puppy11/24/2009
  Q: I am desperately hoping to find some resolve to my issue. We have a beautiful 5 year old chcoloate ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, due to travel. Yes, you can start by reassuring Lucy that she is special..How? ...
introducing dogs11/23/2009
  Q: We recently got an 18month male alaskan malamute who we were told was fine with other dogs. Before ...
  A: That is the problem when you take two older males and try to work them in the same environment. ...
Type of Breed11/21/2009
  Q: I have been really wanting to buy a dog. I would love the companionship, and I know that my parents ...
  A: A Poodle would probably be your best bet with the Hypoallergenic option...there are better breeds to ...
Little yellow spots on blanket from puppy11/19/2009
  Q: We recently rescued a bloodhound mix dog from the humane society. She is almost 6 months old. We let ...
  A: I am sure he is marking his territory in your bed...by spraying, so, I would keep a good eye on him ...
Our lab11/18/2009
  Q: We have a 4 year old male lab and he was fine this morning and earlier tonight. All of a sudden he ...
  A: Your male has something wrong with his intestinal tract. You never touch the Testicals, that will ...
My dog..11/17/2009
  Q: I have a bull mastiff x bull Arab she is just off 8 months old and I would lake to know when she ...
  A: I am not familiar with "Bull Arab"...but, most of those breeds can go up to 150 pounds for a ...
3 week old constipation11/17/2009
  Q: my 3 week old dhiauhaus hasnt had a bowels for 3 days what do i do.
  A: Tina; At that age, I would tell you one thing...take it to the VET! There is not a good thing to ...
Dog Seasons11/16/2009
  Q: recently she has been showing weird behavior and only yesterday she started a fight with my other ...
  A: Yes; Lucy, She could be coming into heat...that is always an indicator, as the term "Bitch" is just ...
dog upset by owner's shower11/16/2009
  Q: My dog, a 2 yr mixed "rescue", goes NUTS when I shower. It starts when she sees me undress, grab a ...
  A: Sounds like your dog is trying to "protect" you! Smart dog....really!! I think you should either ...
my beagle11/15/2009
  Q: umm we did take her to the vet and when the vet was examning her she did not yelp she seemed fine ...
  A: Yes, I would take her back to another vet, and have her examined again. I would venture it is in her ...
labour11/14/2009
  Q: My dog is about 8 weeks pregnant she has lost a bit of her mucus plug and is constantly whining at ...
  A: I have just returned home from travel. Lots of Setting up for my new Book Release... Anyways, Your ...
Pee Pads11/14/2009
  Q: I have a 12 year old Lhaso-poo and I might have to leave for longer periods over 4 hours (I work ...
  A: Maybe not...does she have any experience with Newspaper?? If so, you can try either. Some of the ...
aggressive behavior11/14/2009
  Q: My 7 month old toy poodle shows aggresion to other dogs over toys and treats. Once she was at my ...
  A: Yes, she still needs some work for sure! I would recommend you take her to a Class with other dogs ...
rough play or agressive behavior11/13/2009
  Q: I recently brought to our house a lab mix puppy, and already own a soon to be 2 yr-old G.S. mixed ...
  A: Sandra; You will have to get into an "Obedience" class with your dogs, as you will be endangering ...
aggression toward husband11/12/2009
  Q: we recently adopted a male australian shepherd dog who displays barking and growling toward my ...
  A: I will tell you, that this breed is very territorial, and has lots of issues with socialization! I ...
overbite11/11/2009
  Q: My little 5 month chihuahua has an overbite, my vet scared me, she said more than likely it would ...
  A: Virginia; Run don't walk away from a Vet like that!!! In all the years I have raised dogs, and been ...
Deformaties in puppies11/7/2009
  Q: My dog just had puppies could she have bitten off the leg of one of her puppies by accident? The ...
  A: There is always a possibility a Bitch in whelp could do this to her puppy...but, chances are the pup ...
Is my puppy maturing "ahead of schedule"?11/6/2009
  Q: I am a mommy of 3 Pomeranian puppies - 2 boys (Mr. Sparkle & Mr. Fuggle) and 1 girl (Astrid), I also ...
  A: I have not heard of Pups ever maturing Too early! But, depending on the genetic backround of each ...
potty training11/5/2009
  Q: How early is too early to start potty training schnauzer puppies. I have two 7 1/2 weeks old. I ...
  A: I am still traveling till Monday...but, here is some quick tips: 1) Use your Crate to give them an ...
Housetraining a peek-a-poo11/5/2009
  Q: I just adopted a 5 month old peek-a-poo that was trained to "go" in the house. I need to ...
  A: This will be a challenge as you know for sure! But, I advise that you get him a "Exercise" pen, and ...
american bull dog11/4/2009
  Q: My 6 year old american bulldog developed a runny nose about 6 months ago. Since we have taken him to ...
  A: I have been tralveling...I think that is your only option, or you will have to decide if you can ...
Amount of play time11/3/2009
  Q: I was just wondering about the amount of exercise/play time that is recommended for my dogs. I have ...
  A: I am travelling...you sound like a great owner!!! I think your program sounds great...if anything ...
my dog11/1/2009
  Q: I was petting my dog, Woody, a few minutes ago and came across a huge bloody gash , on his tail. I ...
  A: Hannah; There is always a chance of infection when a wound occurs! I will recommend that you take ...
mini schnauzer barking10/31/2009
  Q: my 18 week old pup constantly barks at everyone when we are out walking he also pulls alot on the ...
  A: As far as his weight..you can look up a table of Schnauzer weights on a website with Breed ...
pitbull/boxer mix10/30/2009
  Q: i adopted a full grown pit/boxer mix (tobey) who is about 18 months old, he seems very submissive. i ...
  A: I think you are being very realistic! This could be a big problem for sure.. My suggestion is to get ...
housebraking a 6 month old female lhasa10/29/2009
  Q: good morning, i have 2 dogs a 1 1/2 yr old lhasa and a 6 month old lhasa. when i got the oldest i ...
  A: You can try again Ruth. Set up your routine, as if they were just young pups, and carry them to the ...
old male and a male puppy10/28/2009
  Q: We have almost 12 years old male Doberman,10 months old female Doberman and we intend taking another ...
  A: Taking on another Male when you already have an older male is going to have its problems!!! When you ...
Is my dog in labor10/28/2009
  Q: I have a boxer and i just took her to the vet to get x-rays of her pups and found out that she has ...
  A: Actually a dog really never goes into a Premature labor situation...it is very rare! They can go to ...
Dog still goes in Crate10/27/2009
  Q: I have a 17 mo Jack Russell, rescue dog and we have had her since Nov 08. She was, I had thought ...
  A: I just wrote an answer yesterday to a similar question with a "Rescue dog". I can tell you I would ...
Thining hair on back10/27/2009
  Q: Please Help! I have a 4 year miniature schnauzer. I noticed a few days ago that the hair on his back ...
  A: Your dog could have mange or ringworm...or other skin problems due to an infestation! Or, he could ...
trouble training a rescue10/26/2009
  Q: Have a 2.5 yr old male pomeranian that was a rescue and neutered a month ago. There is another ...
  A: I am sure you have a great heart to rescue a dog...but, again the term "Rescue" means that the dog ...
Choosing a dog breed10/25/2009
  Q: I have decided to get a family dog and want to make sure i get the right one for us. I would like a ...
  A: Cockers and Cavaliers will be much more work than a Clumber Spaniel. I actually think they are "Low ...
Boils on my dog?10/24/2009
  Q: I've got a 5,5 year old boxer male and noticed yesterday he's got a boil just by his "poop-whole". ...
  A: A lot of things can determine his condition. But, absolutely take him to the Vet! There is no way I ...
new dog HELP PLEASE10/23/2009
  Q: how are you? Well i just adopted a new dog 48 hours ago from my local animal shelter. He's a male, ...
  A: I know it is scary when you get a new dog. But, unless he stops drinking water, not eating in a "New ...
breeding tea cup chihuahua10/21/2009
  Q: I have a female tea cup chi, she weighs 4-4 and half pounds, could I breed her to the same size male ...
  A: Usually that will work fine...but, all dogs can have issues with whelping. No matter what be ...
Female Shiba Inu10/21/2009
  Q: My shiba Inu is going through her second heat cycle. She turned one in July. When is it she can get ...
  A: It is up to her cycle. You should get her to the Stud by the 7th day..and start to tease her to see ...
Bad behavior since I moved10/19/2009
  Q: I moved to the city this weekend, and my 2-year-old, potty trained malti-pom has been freaking out ...
  A: This move obviously has been a traumatic one for your dog! I would be very patient right now, as she ...
small dog problems10/19/2009
  Q: My family has a teacup poodle. He is about seven now and is displaying some bad behavior. I read a ...
  A: A dog only has behavior patterns to what you let it do! So, if you are not happy with your dog's ...
Shih Tzu and Tissues10/18/2009
  Q: Why does my Shih Tzu love to eat any kind of tissues, whether Kleenes, toilet paper, paper towel, ...
  A: She may be lacking a mineral in her diet. Try to get her some other food that has more calcium, ...
over due dog10/15/2009
  Q: my boston is 68 days pregnant. No signs of welping. Lactation is in full swing. No puppies. What ...
  A: Sorry, I was on a business trip, and got stuck in snow.. I don't believe in C-Section, unless your ...
puppy eating problems10/15/2009
  Q: My puppy is 4 days old and whenever he eats the milk comes out through his nose, is not a lot but it ...
  A: I am sorry to be so tardy, as I got stuck in bad weather on a business trip!! Your puppy has "Clef ...
dog sling10/14/2009
  Q: I have a shi-zu dog male, and he was hit by a car and his left front leg is paralyzed. it drags on ...
  A: The problem is that the dog will probably get a serious infection, that is why he needs to have it ...
Shih-poo housetraining problems10/13/2009
  Q: I hope you can offer me some help. We have a 2 year old Shih-poo, and she is a wonderful, sweet ...
  A: She is going to need a "Crate" training system! This is going to be tougher since she is 2 years ...
Pup- Pees in crate10/13/2009
  Q: I just got an Alaskan Klee Kai pup about 3 weeks ago. He will be 16 weeks old tomorrow, Oct 14th. ...
  A: Nicole; This is a very young dog, and much patience is needed! You may have to start with more ...
Vaginal Prolapse (Vagina coming out)10/13/2009
  Q: I'm wondering if you've ever had any experience with a dog that has had a Vaginal Prolapse? Recently ...
  A: Your Vet is right. I would agree that the hormones are causing this problem to happen... Have you ...
Refusal to walk on leash10/12/2009
  Q: I have a 9 yr. old cocker spaniel who like any dog loved to go on walks - until this past year. ...
  A: Debra She is a nine year old dog, not a baby puppy...so, you must go very slow!!! This is a big ...
my chinese crested dog10/12/2009
  Q: I have a 5 year old Chinese crested dog that i bought off of a breeder when he was 3. I live with my ...
  A: There are several possibilities..but, he is definitely marking his territory! So, you will not be ...
Aggresive Behaviour from 2 yo Maltese x10/12/2009
  Q: We have a bichon/maltese cross who has progressively become worse with agression since we have had ...
  A: You need to get the dog to "Obedience" class as soon as possible! In the meantime, you will need to ...
coughing and hacking10/11/2009
  Q: My 8 yr old chihaua is coughing and hacking. I have had her to the Vets several times. The last ...
  A: I would take her back to the vet, and have her look at her heart for sure...and then, go from there ...
14 year old mixed breed dog10/10/2009
  Q: How are you? My husband and I are having a problem with my 14 year old mixed breed dog. We got ...
  A: Many dogs Maria, change when they get older, just like people! You are going to have to crate her ...
My puppy wont go outside10/10/2009
  Q: I have just recently got a puppy and for some reason she will not go to the bathroom outside. This ...
  A: You will need to go over the basics of "Potty" training! This requires you to crate train the puppy ...
nursing mom and her 5 puppies10/9/2009
  Q: I have a Shi Tzu and 5 puppies that I'm having trouble keeping contained.I put them in a small ...
  A: Hell Maria; Sorry to be tardy, my computer has been down! I would leave the mom with the pups, as ...
Dog mouth10/7/2009
  Q: I'm doing a science fair project. What types of bacteria are in a dogs saliva and mouth?
  A: There are hundreds of types of bacteria. If you go to a medical journal, they will give you some of ...
Breathing problems in shih tzu10/7/2009
  Q: I have a 7mth old shih tzu and he suddenly did something scary just now. I caught him breathing with ...
  A: My Computer has been down...sorry for such a tardy response. The problem could be genetic...I really ...
dog ate tube of cat laxative10/7/2009
  Q: My boxer ate a tube of cat tuna flavorated laxative. What should I do?
  A: Not a problem, it will just be like a "Laxative" to him too! Unless he is allergic to "Tuna", he ...
shitzhu puppies10/5/2009
  Q: My female shitzhu just had a litter of 7 puppies. Out of the 7 5 died. I don't understand why. She ...
  A: I am sorry to hear this. One possibility is that the female did not give the pups that did not make ...
Adopting puppy siblings10/5/2009
  Q: We are adopting a Dachshund and have the opportunity to take her sister as well? What are the ...
  A: There are two big problem issues: 1) breeding accidents..but, if you spay/neuter them then that ...
our new puppy10/5/2009
  Q: We have a 2 year old Ridgeback, who has been neutered and after months of research, we have just ...
  A: There is always the risk of two of the same sex fighting..but, chances are you will be fine. If the ...
Dog bolting10/4/2009
  Q: Our dog is almost 4 years old. Daisy, who is a Lhasa Apso, terrier, poodle mix will sometimes bolt ...
  A: You will need to keep Daisy on a leash in th the house and everywhere you go until she is ...
Older dog10/4/2009
  Q: We have a 10 yr old Great Dane who up until 8 months ago was perfectly house trained but started ...
  A: Try worming her with Safeguard to make sure she isn't dealing with parasites...as they will make her ...
Accidents in House10/2/2009
  Q: My 71/2 year old mixed breed dog has started peeing on the carpet. I took him to the vet and was ...
  A: No doubt the meds are making him feel different, and he may just have to go more often. The doctor ...
My dog is acting strange10/1/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me. I really dont know who to ask. I have a 10 year old female ...
  A: Absolutely, I think you have nailed it on the head! I think that she is telling you she needs to ...
Skittish when feeding9/30/2009
  Q: We recently got a puppy (Basenji/Harrier mix) from a local shelter. She is doing very well and is ...
  A: Kimberly; I am really respectful of those who choose a dog to "Rescue"...but, that word implies one ...
male dog in heat9/30/2009
  Q: what do i do if my male dog is in heat and wouldn't stop barking and how long he would be in heat.
  A: There is no such thing as a "Male in Heat"! I think you mean there is a female in the area, and ...
question9/29/2009
  Q: First time here I was givin a pug she is 1but looks pregnant she chuncky was told she just fat but ...
  A: She definitely could be pregnant, but, it is too early to know for sure. Dogs gestation is from ...
Irregular potty patterns9/29/2009
  Q: SOME BACKGROUND: Our 11 weeks English Cocker Spaniel came home a week ago. During the day we let him ...
  A: I know the "Potty Training" period can be very frustrating..But, don't give up. It will happen. ...
bees9/27/2009
  Q: My dachshund got stung by a yellow jacket, but the bee remained in her. we noticed she kept licking ...
  A: She should recover just fine...if she does have some pain, give her a baby aspirin; or children's ...
Ants in Petfood9/27/2009
  Q: My senior engineering capstone project involves conducting research on the specific problem that ...
  A: Well I am flattered you want to ask this of me. I am interested in knowing about new inventions to ...
dogs9/26/2009
  Q: i have a yorkey and when i wash him am i supposed to touch his penis? or should i leave it to the ...
  A: Wash your entire dog...just don't get any chemicals straight on his opening to the penis. He can ...
dog9/25/2009
  Q: I got a dog from the humane society.She weighs about 60 lbs and she is about 5 years old. After ...
  A: I know you have a great heart to take a dog from the humane society...now your work is just ...
question about an older dog getting along with a new puppy9/23/2009
  Q: I have a six and a half year old female Pit Bull, Hazel. She's used to being the only dog in the ...
  A: There will be some time for adjustment...and the puppy will learn that Hazel is in charge!! But, you ...
Rottweiler with swollen paws...9/23/2009
  Q: My Rottweiller is about 15.5...a very good old age. My husband and I adopted him about a year ago ...
  A: I know this is a difficult time for sure! Without knowing the total medical history, I would be ...
Dogs9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Can you give e a lists of small dogs that does not shed? 2. When adopting or getting a dog what ...
  A: Poodles are known to be a good breed for not shedding...some of the other longer coated breeds ...
Dogs9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Tell me what can be great or the benefits that one can get from adoption center of a dog versus ...
  A: I may have an alternate view point about shelter dogs than most... But, in my opinion, the Shelter ...
My dog is sick.9/21/2009
  Q: I have a min pin and she loves to play with bugs. She has been stung by bees several times and after ...
  A: Bees and wasps, or yellow jackets are not considered Poisonous to dogs...but, if your dog has an ...
Our miniature pom puppy still poops in her crate?9/21/2009
  Q: she asks out during the day to but can not make it through the night without sitting in her poop and ...
  A: Small dogs are a lot different than large dogs...first of all their capacity to hold it, is smaller. ...
Toy Schnauzer9/21/2009
  Q: What is the life expectancy of a Toy Schnauzer?
  A: Toy Schnauzer's live to be around the 10 year age in general...but, that is all determined by ...
Barking9/20/2009
  Q: My dog barks continuosly whenever I am getting into my car to leave for work, school, etc. If I open ...
  A: She is Barking for Attention...so, by feeding her, you are rewarding her for that act. Now, you will ...
help9/19/2009
  Q: i have an 11 month old maltese female puppy. i realized this morning that her right ear has been up ...
  A: Is your Maltese AKC registered?? If not, chances are there maybe some other genetics in your dog, ...
Fear Agression?9/19/2009
  Q: My boyfriend and I rescued a 2 y/o Great Dane/Mastiff mix (a small horse) and she is an absolutely ...
  A: I would not consider this "Fear Aggression"....she is actually trying to "Protect" you when she is ...
Erratic puppy behavior9/19/2009
  Q: We need your insight. We recently added a new member to the family. A now 3 month old female mini ...
  A: I think you are in need of an "Obedience" training routine!!! This is the time the dog will test ...
Jack9/18/2009
  Q: We adopted Jack from our local shelter about 6 wks ago, an owner surrender so we don't really know ...
  A: I do understand how frustrated you must be, but, again...you are just starting with training! You ...
Breeding black & Yellow Lab9/18/2009
  Q: Melissa, I am about to breed my 7 year old Yellow with a 3 year old black lab. Is there any way of ...
  A: Good Afternoon Dr. Daniel; Thank you for your question. I will tell you that my "Expertise" is not ...
Agression9/17/2009
  Q: I have the sweetest loving 6 yr old german shepherd, a previous rescue dog,who loves everyone and ...
  A: I understand your issues. I used to raise German Shepherds! She is definitely guarding you when she ...
is my pome Prengnant9/17/2009
  Q: hi the question could my pome be pregnant? and if so how will I know? how long do they stay ...
  A: Did you see a breeding? If you saw a breeding, then she may start swelling, and her nipples will ...
lumps over my dogs body9/16/2009
  Q: my staffordshire bull terier dog as came out with lumps all over his body and he has blisters in is ...
  A: Simon; Black in the stool, is a sign of "Blood". It is imperative you take your dog to the VET! And ...
Jack Rusell9/15/2009
  Q: I have grown desperate with our 13 week puppy. I have to point out its our 8th day with him. ...
  A: I know 8 days seem along time to work with a new puppy...but, you are just beginning!!! There are ...
Discoloration of hair9/14/2009
  Q: I have a mini schnauzer and he has discoloration around his mouth due to drooling. The ...
  A: I would not give your dog any additive to its food, as the Saliva is why he is staining his coat, ...
dog injurie9/14/2009
  Q: my dog a small chihuahua, was nicked by a car, yesterday, she ran back into the side walk, seems ...
  A: I would still consider her injury bad enough to take her to a Vet...they have some Rimidahyl pain ...
CONSTIPATION IN SMALL DOGS9/13/2009
  Q: WE HAVE A SMALL CHIHUAHUA THAT GETS CONSTIPATED OR IMPACTED FREQUENTLY---WE HAVE SPENT 100'S OF ...
  A: Can food is mostly a combination of protein and starch, which breaks down into simple ...
Is it a bad idea to get a dog while you work all day?9/12/2009
  Q: I am single, live alone in a condominium. I work all day nine to five. I have only 4 to 5 hours ...
  A: I can tell you that a dog alone in an apartment is a difficult equation, it can work, but, it will ...
lhapsa/mini schnausor mix9/12/2009
  Q: 7.5 months old, would he be still teething because any toy we give him last maybe 1 hour if lucky. ...
  A: Yes, he could be teething, but, chances are it is in his nature to be rough! This is a way different ...
my dog9/11/2009
  Q: hey has been throwing up like for 2 days and she has lost alot of weight she is like 3 or 4 months ...
  A: You need to take your dog to the Vet as soon as possible! She probably has really bad worms, but, ...
Pup9/10/2009
  Q: We have a golden retriever pup who lives outside in the garage. She is not neglected or anything, ...
  A: When you go to school, if your parents cannot watch your dog, it is better that she is in a "Safe" ...
hi9/10/2009
  Q: my dog root wailer have 2 months & 2 weeks at age,she never eat her foods Atlas 3 days,vomiting & ...
  A: Hola Marianne; She needs to go to the Vet as soon as possible! She probably has bad Worms and or ...
separation anxiety/cage training9/9/2009
  Q: I just adopted a 2yr old jack russell terrier/min pin mix. He is a very sweet and loving dog and ...
  A: Good Evening Tammy; Well the problem is that your Jack Russell/pin mix feels that he is being ...
grape sized knot below dogs ear9/9/2009
  Q: We own a small corgi, she developed a small grape-sized knot under her left ear, it seemed like ...
  A: There are a number of things this could be...from a Cyst to a inflamed pore, to a bite or a scratch ...
Ticks and behavior changes.9/8/2009
  Q: My golden retriever has had ticks for the last 2 weeks, I've tried frontline, special vet baths, ...
  A: Hola Claudia! Si como no....Absolutely! Take your Dog to the Vet...they can get "Lyme's Disease"!! ...
how can I tell if my dog has cancer?9/7/2009
  Q: I have a Rottwieler and pitbull mix that is almost 4 and she was very malnutrishend as a puppy and ...
  A: I know this must be a difficult time for you! I would urge you to take your dog to the Vet. ...
aggressive cockapoo9/6/2009
  Q: I have a one year old cockapoo - she has been the sweetest and most lovable dog ever - well trained ...
  A: She is about one year now....that means she could be changing into her adult hormones! So, she is ...
Allergy or scabies9/6/2009
  Q: I have I little maltipoo who's alway scraching all over. Also he leaking his legs and feet. I have ...
  A: The only way to confirm that would be to take the dog back to the Vet, and have him scrape his ...
rottwhiler swollen paws9/5/2009
  Q: I have a three year old rottwhiler and every year around this time his feet seem to swell and he ...
  A: Sorry to hear this. I will tell you it probably has a lot to do with the humidity at this time of ...
Weird behavior from my American Pittbull9/4/2009
  Q: My American Pittbull, Ace, has been acting very strange the past week. He is a very well trained ...
  A: I am wondering, is there a female dog around there? By chance she may be in heat, and he is acting ...
puppies9/4/2009
  Q: Where can I get a free puppies?
  A: "Free" Puppies is actually a Misunderstood concept..in my opinion. But, if you look in the Local ...
bee sting?9/3/2009
  Q: Today my dog was chained out side for 10 minutes to go to the bathroom. I had to use the restroom ...
  A: I am sorry, I had technical difficulties last evening. I am sure your dog is okay, but, if he has ...
Puppy got into food bag!9/2/2009
  Q: I AM JUST CONCERNED FOR MY PUPPY I JUST OPEN A BAG OF HIS DOG FOOD AND I THOUGHT I PUT IT IN A SAFE ...
  A: Good Evening Cassandra; It is very important that you take your Puppy to the Vet! Time is of the ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Melissa Wiser

Top Expert on this page