Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Teri Abshier

SubjectDate Asked
Needy dog causes fights with other dog10/21/2015
  Q: We have 2 rescue dogs about 3-4 years of age. We have had Tobey for 3 years and Sasha for 1 1/2 ...
  A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is always tough to make the decisions you are faced with ...
Aggressive Behavior4/4/2015
  Q: Good Evening, I have a 9 year old Husky/Shepard mix who is not keen on having visitors or anyone ...
  A: Dogs can be similar to people in that their tolerances for things can change with age. It does sound ...
dog temperature related11/4/2014
  Q: sir my question is I have adopt a beagle pup 30 days old . and the temperature here is 22 degree c ...
  A: I'm so sorry, I never received your question in my inbox. I hope you've already found an answer, but ...
Traumatized Shiba Inu8/11/2014
  Q: We've had Cooper our Shiba Inu for 4 years now, we adopted him when he was 1. He goes quarterly to ...
  A: Have you had Cooper examined by a veterinarian yet? If not, I absolutely recommend that first. ...
crying when on his own7/23/2014
  Q: I am a little concerned though I do have to leave him occasionally for short periods of time. He ...
  A: Congratulations on the new addition to your family! I apologize for the delayed response. Apparently ...
Behavior6/23/2014
  Q: I have a question about my aunt and uncles dog, Ellie. She is a mixed breed about medium size short ...
  A: There are many reasons that dogs behave aggressively, and without seeing it firsthand or having ...
dog attack6/19/2014
  Q: So my 7 year old Brittany spaniel was attacked on Sunday by another dog. The dog was grabbing onto ...
  A: Her behavior indicates that she is still sore, or just nervous about being touched in that area, or ...
Dogs10/7/2013
  Q: "Hi I have three questions regarding dogs 1. We have a backyard on a third of an acre (including ...
  A: You pose some good questions. However, there are so many dogs that love room to run, you might need ...
Gnawing/ Uncontrollable Itch7/1/2013
  Q: My wonderful dog Burgess, A Dachshund, Beagle, Basset hound mix culminating in a big 55lbs Wiener ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about Burgess, unfortunately allergies that develop after moving are fairly ...
yorkshire terrier puppy1/13/2013
  Q: I have 10 weeks yorkshire terrier puppy and he's weight is 1.6 kg already,is he going to be big dog? ...
  A: If his growth continues normally, I expect him to be about the same weight as the parents or ...
Companion for my husky10/1/2012
  Q: I have a 8 month old husky pup. I am at work a lot and see a difference in him. His behavior has ...
  A: You're right, if he gets along well with other dogs a companion might be a good thing to consider. ...
New Dog9/26/2012
  Q: We are going to meet an 11 month old Boxer. The owner can no longer keep him and I am wondering what ...
  A: First off, I hope all goes well with the meeting and hopefully you will have a new family ...
Yorkie Behavior Problem9/21/2012
  Q: I have a Yorkie who is 9 months old. She has started chasing our feet and pantlegs when we walk in ...
  A: It sounds like your yorkie is in her "teenager" stage :). This behavior is fairly common in puppies, ...
Female Boxer in heat9/9/2012
  Q: I would like to know if my feamale Boxer is in any pain or discomfort? She started bleeding ...
  A: Similar to humans, a dog's heat can cause some bloating which may cause some discomfort. Typically, ...
Pug growth9/3/2012
  Q: In 1 or 2 months i will be getting my pug puppy. i was told (because pugs are a small breed of dog) ...
  A: There are not any specific ages to buy a harness, you can elect to use one for walks at any ...
Swollen Paws8/27/2012
  Q: We have a seven year old Australian Shepherd who suddenly appeared with swollen front paws. She is ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about her paws, and as a former AZ resident (also with an Australian Shepherd) I ...
feeding a miniature pinscher8/23/2012
  Q: ABSHIER, I HAVE A MINIATURE PINCHER 7 YEARS OLD.I FEED HER 1/2 CUP A DAY OF GOOD DRY DOG FOOD.IS ...
  A: Every dog is individual, and what may be enough for one dog may be too much or too little for ...
5 year old Golden Doodle snarling and nipping at young children6/28/2012
  Q: our 5 year old golden doodle dog has been a great family pet since we had her as a pup. ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation with Molly. Based what you have told me, I don't believe that ...
My shitzu/bision (is on facebook)5/8/2012
  Q: Barkley Layberger ,my dear 2 year old service dog ,woke me up this mourning with the most "god ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about your dog! Considering that he is 2 years old it probably is not parvo. Parvo ...
deformity5/3/2012
  Q: My german shephard was born without part of the pad on one of his paws. If we use him for breeding ...
  A: Since I'm not a licensed veterinarian, I cannot say for certain if your dog's paw issue is genetic ...
Dog Selection - Help Please4/28/2012
  Q: I have read your bio and was hoping you could help me out with choosing a dog. my biggest concern ...
  A: Congratulations on your decision to add a dog to your family! The biggest piece of advice I can give ...
looking to adopt a dog3/12/2012
  Q: I am beginning to research what kind of breed, or more likely, mixed breed dog would be best for me ...
  A: Congrats on your decision to adopt a new family member! To list some breeds to consider, a Whippet ...
St. Bernard becoming more aggressive3/11/2012
  Q: My 29 month old St. Bernard has started becoming more aggressive at the dog park. He is fine with ...
  A: I can offer my thoughts on the matter, but please note that aggression is difficult to assess and ...
My 45lb mixed breed dog eats and chews anything.2/2/2012
  Q: I have a 45lb mixed breed dog female named Newby she's 1 year old, I saved her at 2 days old from ...
  A: I can certainly sympathize with you. My dog was a year old when I got him, and he had 3 owners prior ...
pimple like bumps on my dog12/3/2011
  Q: I have a Chihuahua/pug mix he's 2 and I've just noticed he has pimple like bumps on his belly and I ...
  A: It could be a variety of things, so I would definitely consider taking him to your vet for an ...
Rash and Fur loss8/30/2011
  Q: I have an almost two year old lab/dalmatian dog. Lately, she has been losing fur around her hips, ...
  A: So sorry to hear about your dog! My first suggestion is to try to convince your parents to take her ...
dog itching7/27/2011
  Q: Our adult dog has been scratching and licking the lower part of his belly. It is all red and fur ...
  A: Although a vet will provide your pet with the quickest, safest, and most effective relief, if you ...
my dog is acting strange towards her toys7/26/2011
  Q: this is the second time i have noticed a strange behavior with how my dog (female 2 yr old pitt) she ...
  A: There are a few things to consider here. First, since this behavior is fairly sudden, I would ...
Crate/Potty training6/15/2011
  Q: I have trained several puppies in my life and am currently training another. We are crate training ...
  A: No to both solutions. Leaving him in a soiled crate can make him dislike the crate, and can ...
My dog is obsessed with other dogs.5/13/2011
  Q: I have a 4 & 1/2 year old male lab, and he's obsessed with other dogs. On walks, he memorizes were ...
  A: True "obsessions" require the assistance of a qualified behavioral consultant in your area. The ...
Dog Kills Cats4/10/2011
  Q: Our dog, a pit bull mix, has killed 3 cats that we know of and attacked other cats and a baby goat. ...
  A: Unfortnately, a dog who is that aggressive cannot be counted on to stop on command once he is ...
Skinny pup3/7/2011
  Q: I bought my sister a puppy for xmas last year. He is a staffy cross blue heeler and around 5-6 ...
  A: You didn't mention if you gave him a dewormer when you had him or not. The majority of people ...
Housebreaking Problems3/4/2011
  Q: I have a two-year-old male Silky Terrier named Otis and we have not been successful in housebreaking ...
  A: Not knowing his feeding schedule, I'm going to assume he's free-fed. So first of all, make sure ...
great dane3/3/2011
  Q: hi i just got a great dane and i wanted to see if u new how to check to see if he was a full blooed ...
  A: Unless they are papered or you've seen both parents, you can't know for sure. Even if there ...
Puppy2/26/2011
  Q: Why did my 8 week old puppy wee on my bed he sleeps on with me
  A: Young puppies need to be let out frequently. Speaking very generally, a typical puppy can hold ...
My puppy wont listen when we r in the garden2/24/2011
  Q: my puppy is 13 weeks and he will listen to me while we are in the house but when he is in the garden ...
  A: Dogs fail when we ask too much of them, too fast. Dogs don't generalize new behaviors, meaning ...
red gelatin substance2/18/2011
  Q: have a approx 1 year old silky hair terrier...she has had a red gelatin like substance in her stool ...
  A: From what you've described, it sounds like your dog has blood and mucous in his stool. Common ...
picking out a breed2/16/2011
  Q: We were thinking about getting a dog and I would like to know what are some different kinds of ...
  A: Some breeds to consider are traditional hunting breeds, like retrievers (Labrador, Golden, Flat ...
shi-tzu behavior2/14/2011
  Q: We rescued a 9 yr old shi-tzu from a shelter. We already had an 11 yr old rescued cocker spaniel ...
  A: Before anything else, I would advise you have your veterinarian check your Shih-Tzu's hearing ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Teri Abshier

Top Expert on this page