Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Gary

SubjectDate Asked
dog, border collie7/24/2015
  Q: will my border collie protect me? details: see i have a border collie female. i adopted her. it was ...
  A: The border collie bit at your gs because she is protective of you and also one of your dogs has to ...
advantage multi for dogs3/7/2015
  Q: .i was at the vets yesterday, and they gave me a small amount of info about advantage multi for ...
  A: Having more then 1 dog can be a great experience. One dog will have to be the "alpha" dog. Most of ...
male marking before and after he was fixed1/29/2015
  Q: My wife and I got a 11 month old chiuwawa(not sure how to spell properly)and he would mark and pee ...
  A: Now its more like a habit for him to pee all over the place. If you go to your local pet/pup shop ...
2 Year Old Dachshund Rescued From Probable Bad Situation1/22/2015
  Q: I recently adopted a 2 year old Daschund from what from what we (myself,neighbors that helped me get ...
  A: Leean, I am VERY sorry it took me this long to reply. I get an e-mail from experts and it tells ...
Saint Bernard Pregnancy12/12/2014
  Q: Sir, I want to know that how i know that my saint bearnard is pregnant and is she is pregnant ...
  A: Vikram It can be difficult to tell whether a dog is pregnant until the last few weeks of her ...
several questions reguardin training whelping feeding and some more issues..I NEED HELP!!12/8/2014
  Q: I choose you because I saw that your expertise was closest to my concerns..so here we go..Ok to ...
  A: Sarah, Yes you need A LOT of help so i will try to answer your questions in order. Dogs always ...
physics11/7/2014
  Q: .A stray dog used to bark at the locals in the street. However each time whenever the person who is ...
  A: He is scared but wants to make friends it would just take some time and some treats. The last time a ...
Roaming Dog10/31/2014
  Q: I have a 2 year old mix breed female dog. She already got spayed at 7 months. We don't have her on ...
  A: Lyn, Thanks for your question. The first thing you should do is block off the section that is open. ...
litter training10/15/2014
  Q: 12 days back i have got a german sheperd pupy to my house he is 60 day old now i am somehow unabe to ...
  A: Abhinav, Thanks for the question,this is a simple fix for you. Take him out for his walk,if he does ...
dog9/9/2014
  Q: Can I leave my dog at the backyard all the time? My parents does not want him inside the house at ...
  A: Henry, It's not a good idea to leave him outside all the time. The main problem would be the ...
how do i crate train my puppy8/4/2014
  Q: I have a 5 month old puppy named Leia. Leia doesn't like being in her kennel and keeps everyone up ...
  A: Sarah, This is pretty normal a lot of dogs do not like being caged up at night. The simple answer ...
Dog barking7/29/2014
  Q: my dog wont stop barking at the people passing by the fence, as he is big and he has a lot of fur we ...
  A: Kaja, Thanks for the question and thanks for getting a shelter dog and saving a life ;-) Barking ...
6 month old australian cattle dog7/8/2014
  Q: I have a 6 month old Australian Cattle dog. He's been the easiest puppy to train and is such a ...
  A: Miranda, Thanks for the question, For starters I know that dogs do not like to get on the scale ...
strange behavior6/23/2014
  Q: I have a question about my aunt and uncles dog, Ellie. She is a mixed breed about medium size short ...
  A: Kyle, Thanks for the question. When you bring another dog into the hose it does create a problem as ...
New Puppy, so many issues6/7/2014
  Q: I recently got a new puppy. He is 10wks old (Black mouth cur, pit bull and mastiff) The puppy is ...
  A: Brandy, Thanks for the question... Sounds like some abuse must of happened to your pup. This pup ...
Female Dog Won't Eagt5/23/2014
  Q: Ever since my dog had her first heat cycle she will not eat her food. Long story, short version.. ...
  A: Deb, It's best to keep her on the food she is used to eating. Changing food should be done by ...
Can dogs talk5/2/2014
  Q: Can dogs talk?
  A: Sunstream, Thank you for your question There have been times when I needed my dog to talk but all ...
my chihuahua is in pain5/1/2014
  Q: how can you tell if your Chihuahua has hip dyspepsia he was fin on 4/29/14 he was playing and i ...
  A: We don't normally give medical advice but I will tell you my opinion but you will need to get him to ...
2 chihuahua adoption4/24/2014
  Q: I have a family with 2 children ages 5 and 12. We have fallen in love with a brother and sister ...
  A: Kerri, Thank you for the question. It would be better to take both of them. They have been ...
Rough Play4/7/2014
  Q: I have a female standard goldendoodle a little older than 5 months. We have taken her to a local dog ...
  A: Maureen, When she rolls over on her back she is telling the other dog that she is giving up so you ...
chinese crest 12 day old puppies4/2/2014
  Q: should i be doing anything for the skin of these hairless <mostly> pups...Their mom is a maltipoo ...
  A: Paula, Great question....great dogs ;-) What you will need to do is bathe them and use a good pup ...
dog food3/25/2014
  Q: we have an 8 months old german shepherd. and i was wondering how much food should i give him and how ...
  A: You should feed your German Shepard 2-3 cups 2 times a day. It's also a good idea to add a good ...
None3/23/2014
  Q: Is raw meant good for dogs? I heard it causes mange and can make the dog dangerous. I heard before ...
  A: Jem, I would not give raw meat to my dog, it's not good for us and its not good for them. I give ...
Beagle Pain Syndromes3/4/2014
  Q: My 4 year old Beagle, Willow, suddenly started showing signs of severe pain one Wednesday afternoon. ...
  A: Amanda, Any breed can get this, its just that they used beagles when they tested for it. It is ...
Max basset hound2/25/2014
  Q: Gary, I am sorry to have to rate you on the question forum but my computer will not let me do it ...
  A: Sandra, Your kind words warmed my heart. It's nice when people give me 10 points and a thank you ...
cancer death of basset hound2/24/2014
  Q: I am heartbroken. My sweet basset hound of ten years died suddenly of hemangiosarcoma. I took care ...
  A: Sandra, I am so sorry about Max.We put our 15 year old rhodesian ridgeback down 5 years ago and i ...
female st bernard2/24/2014
  Q: I have a female st bernard about 11 months old, I had thought she already went into heat a couple ...
  A: Sounds like she is in heat now. The area being swollen and the discharge usually means she is in ...
???2/23/2014
  Q: We have a stray dog. We cannot catch him. His leg has been shot we believe and has fallen off. Do ...
  A: Cassie Try your best to catch him and/or call your local animal shelter or SPCA or animal control. ...
Growth on dog's right foreleg2/22/2014
  Q: Our 10 year old female greyhound/shepard dog has a large growth on her front leg. About 4 months ago ...
  A: Sorry your dog is having problems. They do a general anesthesia so the dog will not be able to ...
breed info2/18/2014
  Q: im interested in acquiring a large dog. i am aware that most tend to have health risks, especially ...
  A: Every dog breed has some type of health problem. If you give me a few breeds you are thinking about ...
How long can you leave your dog?2/6/2014
  Q: I wonder if you could help me... We had a lovely dog for 8 years. She sadly passed away last ...
  A: Melonie, First a am sorry to hear about your dog passing. They really are a big part of our ...
my male peeing insinde2/6/2014
  Q: but has seemed to pick up the habit of at night peeing in the house by the door. he was completely ...
  A: Megan, Thanks for the question There is some stuff you can buy over the counter at any good pet ...
poo eating2/6/2014
  Q: I cannot always pick up poo. What else can I do to stop this nasty habit. I have read about adding ...
  A: Carla, Thank you for the question. You can go to your local pet shop and buy a bottle of "Bitter ...
Dog crate size2/5/2014
  Q: I will be bringing home a 4-yr old, 30lb rescue dog. I have a large crate (roughly 3'x2'x2.5') ...
  A: If it's used just for transport it should be OK. Make sure he has a chew toy for the ride. Stay away ...
Great Pyrenees2/1/2014
  Q: our puppy is 4 weeks old should i deworm her and what kind of dewormer should i use
  A: There are some over the counter products you can try. PetSmart (where my son is a groomer) ;-) They ...
Great Pyrenees1/27/2014
  Q: we have a 4 week old Great Pyrenees puppy, she is starting to eat canned soft food. and i just have ...
  A: You got your pup a little early. 8 weeks is the right time to take a puppy away from its mother. It ...
crate training?1/16/2014
  Q: We have a 3 yr old Springer Spaniel that we adopted from an individual when she was about 1 yr old. ...
  A: Wendy, Thanks for the question...It's a good one ;-) Crate training is always the easiest way but ...
Convincing of Parents12/23/2013
  Q: Well, my question is : How Can I Convince My Parents To Get Me A Dog? My family does not get a long ...
  A: Noah, Please forgive me for not replying sooner. I am having kidney problems and was in the ...
Dog died suddenly12/17/2013
  Q: My 12 year old beagle died suddenly last night. The emergency vet said that I could send him away ...
  A: Melissa, First i would like to tell you how very sorry i am. They really do become family members. ...
Leaving Home - Crate Training12/10/2013
  Q: My wife and I have read a lot of answers regarding crate training, and within a week our puppy does ...
  A: Richard, Thanks for the question. Have you tried leaving the TV or a radio on ? Sometimes that is ...
use of over the counter pain relief,11/28/2013
  Q: I have a large mastiff cross that is 14 yrs old. He is a bit stiff with a rear leg that he tweaked ...
  A: Shelagh, Great question and thank you for asking. You can buy over the counter pain meds at your ...
aggressive kids and dogs11/17/2013
  Q: I have a hyper aggressive 6 yr old who always plays sports in the house and I been told a dog can be ...
  A: Ray, Thanks for the question ;-) A bigger dog would be best.A golden or a lab would be a great ...
Dog house11/16/2013
  Q: We live in Houston, TX and have a large german shepherd about 10 months old. He started out (at 5 ...
  A: ED, I am not a big fan of keeping a dog outside. As puppies they one goal in life...Getting rid of ...
Edema/Lymph blockage in hind leg10/27/2013
  Q: My almost 15 yr old lab/pitt mix has been battling a swollen hind leg for almost 2 months. Doesnt ...
  A: Toni, WOW 15 years is a LONG TIME. The bigger breeds usually do not get into the teens. That is all ...
Dog breed confusion10/22/2013
  Q: D So I have a terrier of about 7 months old and I wanted to know if he was a rat terrier or a fox ...
  A: Jeff, Thanks for the question.I agree with your vet, I see a fox terrier. I even looked at a bunch ...
Chihuhua10/14/2013
  Q: Our chihuahua was attacked by our neighbors pit and just looked up on the Internet that the pain med ...
  A: Ellen, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put down are family dog a few years ago and i ...
When to Let Him Go?10/9/2013
  Q: We have a year and a half old lab/pit bull/shepherd mix who is a magnificent dog. He is our little ...
  A: Diana, It looks like my reply was not sent. Please forgive me.I am having some trouble with my ...
housebreaking10/7/2013
  Q: I have gotten a puppy he is about 5 months and when we got him he was about 3 and a half months and ...
  A: Try to remind your fiance that the dog is just a 5 month old baby and we cant expect him to just ...
diet and why he drops food all over9/28/2013
  Q: my dog is 18 mo old. i got him as a rescue dog at 5 mo of age. He is 9pd. He is a terrier mix.,his ...
  A: -) Are you feeding him just dry food ? If you feed him dry food try adding a 1/2 can of wet(can) ...
skin & coat9/27/2013
  Q: Years ago I adopted a dog from the shelter. I had to wait a while before bringing him home because ...
  A: Kim, I am looking all over for this powder that you would put in the food. The problem is there are ...
dog allergies?9/19/2013
  Q: I again Yesterday i asked about my mixed breed dog and today is the same. For the past 1-2 years my ...
  A: It's possible but dogs also get something called a "hot spot" They will chew until its bald and ...
mixed breed dog9/18/2013
  Q: When we got her the rescue guessed that she is a corgi/jack russel, chihuahua, and pit bull but i'm ...
  A: First i have to give you a big THANK YOU for getting a rescue dog. You saved a life and she will ...
being leapt all over9/17/2013
  Q: I got a new black labrador from the pound 5 days ago. Things are going really well. He occasionally ...
  A: You picked the #1 dog. The lab is a great pet and it is the favorite all time dog to own. The only ...
Dogs9/14/2013
  Q: I was thinking about pet vasectomy and tubal ligation because I hate the idea of a genderless pet ...
  A: Jem, Great question, Too many folks do not give this a thought. I am glad you did ;-) It is easier ...
Size of crate for potty training for 8 weeks old male GSD8/28/2013
  Q: I am going to buy a 8 weeks old male geram shepherd dog so could you please tell me the Size of ...
  A: Crate training is the easiest way to train your pup. You will need a crate that is big enough for ...
dogs not getting along8/26/2013
  Q: My boyfriend moved in with his 3 year old basset hound and a couple of months later I desired to get ...
  A: This is a pretty common problem when we have 2 dogs. One has to be the alpha dog. The best way is to ...
dog wont go on heat8/24/2013
  Q: I have a mini foxie who's gone on heat once before and never since I have 2 other dogs blue healers ...
  A: Jarrod, Some claim that if females are kept together they will sometimes go into season ...
excessive whining8/22/2013
  Q: Yesterday we got a male long hair chihuahua 1 year old. He is going to fixed at the beginning of ...
  A: GREAT QUESTION, You are not alone with this "problem" This is a pretty typical thing that some dogs ...
once a month8/6/2013
  Q: I have a 6 lb Yorkie that is a rescue, we've had her about a year, and the vet thinks she's about 3 ...
  A: Ana, Thank you for the question , This is a common problem. My son is a groomer and he comes across ...
My Blue Heeler/ Great dane - lab mix8/4/2013
  Q: how big will my blue heeler/lab-greatdane mix dog will be? he's 19" at shoulder and around 5x pounds ...
  A: Toneo, Congrats on your new buddy ;-) It's not easy to tell what size a dog will turn out to. ...
socializing 3ish year old catahoula7/30/2013
  Q: I have owned Remy a catahoula leopard/Australian shepard mix for just over a year now. When I got ...
  A: Jackie, Hi And what a great at a great time. I have a 7 year old golden mix. We got him a few ...
My 5 yr old dog has bumps on his snout7/29/2013
  Q: I recently just found some bumps on my dogs snout and I'm freaking out right now! He doesn't seem ...
  A: Kristina, Thank you for the question , I will need a little more info . Color of the bumps, are ...
Itchy skin7/23/2013
  Q: I have a 10 week old french bulldog who cant stop itchy her hind legs. Im not seeing fleas and we ...
  A: It sounds like a "hot spot" The technical term for hot spots is moist pyotraumatic dermatitis.Feel ...
temporal/masseter atophy6/29/2013
  Q: About a month ago, two of my dogs got in the street. A lady picked them up in an effort to help ...
  A: Leah, Thank you for your question, You can contact your local animal shelter. Explain to them what ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Gary

Top Expert on this page