Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Nancy Herbert

SubjectDate Asked
sneaking to a certain room to poop9/21/2010
  Q: My dog is a 14 month old spade golden retriever/english setter mix. She whines when she has to pee ...
  A: The dog is showing dominance toward the children and it really wont go away til the dog has respect ...
11 week old puppy crying in crate at night6/22/2010
  Q: I have a 11 week old puppy. She is home with us for 1.5 weeks now. We live in a condo with a ...
  A: Pang. i am not sure that there is a problem here other then the fact that having a puppy is like ...
Housebreaking my puppy5/21/2010
  Q: We adopted a Min Pin almost 3 months ago, she is now 5 months old. I started to housebreak her with ...
  A: You need to start over, and you need to not use pee pads. If you use them, it teaches the dog it is ...
sleep anxiety4/19/2010
  Q: I have a 9 yr old rescued staffi cross Ben, I've had him since he was about 9 months old, everywhere ...
  A: Well first of all, it is actually very very good for the dog to be alone at times, so if he sleeps ...
housetraing my 5yr old fem pom3/22/2010
  Q: iva had my pom since she was a pup. shes always used peepads. when i take her to my moms' she ...
  A: ..that is because the dog doesnt understand where to go to the bathroom. The pad is the same, but ...
timid puppy3/19/2010
  Q: I have a 15 week old german shepherd pup, I got him at 13 weeks old and since i have had him he is ...
  A: Joe. Thanks for writing. You didnt say how old your children are, but if they are young, let's say ...
frightened toy poodle3/15/2010
  Q: Recently, grandson and his giant schnauzer came to stay with us for a month or so. My five year old ...
  A: You may not like the answer i have for you, but why are you treating the dog like a small frightened ...
lab puppy1/24/2010
  Q: I have a 3 1/2 mth old yellow lab and I'm giving him puppy show food. My question is when can I ...
  A: flint river ranch dog food is shipped right to your house and has a puppy and adult formula ...
Old dog pees in house, on rugs1/20/2010
  Q: My dog Scooter is about 13 years old. He pees in the house on my area rugs and on my wood floors. ...
  A: ..sounds like you need to start over with some crate training and teach the dog again. Did you just ...
dog staring1/18/2010
  Q: My 2 1/2 year old male lab/pit bull as acquired staring at objects. It began with the stainless ...
  A: i dont think it has to do with the dog being a pitbull. They are only mean if left outside and not ...
golden retriever puppy9/1/2009
  Q: I have just recieved a golden retriever puppy recently. However, my parents want her to be kept in ...
  A: Tell your parents that locking the dog in the garage or outside is bad for the dog and may actually ...
Pets9/1/2009
  Q: 1. There is over 500 dog breeds? What is the number one dog to own? 2. For one person, how many ...
  A: 1. there is no number one dog to own. it depends on the house, family and needs of the owner 2. one ...
Corgi Chewing Everything!8/29/2009
  Q: I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that is a year and a half old. She was crate trained for a full year ...
  A: It sounds like you were on the right track, but gave her too much space too fast. do you ever catch ...
dogs4/27/2009
  Q: I have a 14 year old female bichon. My daughter bought a male toy poodle just over a year ago. ...
  A: I disagree and do not think you need to get another puppy right now. i had three dogs, two of them ...
Dachshund3/27/2009
  Q: I have a 1 year old male dachshund, 7 month old female dachshund / beagle mix, and a 5 month old ...
  A: Brandi..putting a doggie door in is not going to help the problem. All it is going to do is having ...
Puppy having Parvo2/1/2009
  Q: I adopted my 8 week old puppy just yesterday and then shortly after we got home, she was exhibiting ...
  A: Peggy..dont panic. I have brought many pups through Parvo. Did they do anything for her at the Vet? ...
Two homes?12/31/2008
  Q: my friend and i got a dog, and we each have her for a week and then the other one takes her. many ...
  A: The problem is not trauma..the problem is that the dog may get confused. He wont understand where to ...
Accidents after Training12/29/2008
  Q: my 7 year old chihuahua has been paper trained for years. She has recently begun having accidents. ...
  A: ..did you get the dog checked out at a vet to make sure there are no problems? If there arent. then ...
Housebroken??12/21/2008
  Q: My 1 1/2 year old Shih Chon is housebroken but every now and then he will pee in the house - right ...
  A: There are two things that come to mind..this may be just a behavioral problem in which case, you ...
Excessive walks for my dog to poop12/1/2008
  Q: I rescued my 40 lb. male (neutered) lab/shepherd mix 3 1/2 years ago. I began walking him ...
  A: The answer to this question may seem cruel, but just dont walk him. Take him out around 20 minutes ...
pug breeding12/1/2008
  Q: I have 2 pugs I didn't want to breed them because of all the problems that could happen and I ...
  A: Every area is different but if you contact a local rescue they will know where the discounts are. ...
Unusual behavior9/24/2008
  Q: I have a 8 year old female black labrador retreiver, who has begun pooping while she sleeps at ...
  A: Wesley..this is a housebreaking issue and you need to get the dog off the bed and into a crate and ...
beagle urination9/24/2008
  Q: I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD BEAGLE FEMALE. SHE JUST STARTED A NEW BAD HABIT, EVERY TIME I TAKE HER TO ...
  A: ..well i have a ton of questions here...like do you pick the dog up and does your wife not? what do ...
puppy training8/23/2008
  Q: I was wanting some advice on something weird she does. Anytime she is on carpet, she poops. It is ...
  A: this is not a weird behavior. This is actually a normal housebreaking behavior. Most dogs will go ...
Shiba Inu house breaking regression8/22/2008
  Q: We adopted a shiba puppy 11 months ago;housebreaking went fine, though he was crate trained when ...
  A: Well i would really need to see the dogs to evaluate them but this is either one of two things. This ...
Bad Behavior8/22/2008
  Q: I have a chow german-shepard mix named Chewy that I rescued in 2006 from a shelter. When I got him ...
  A: Well then..this is a little hard to answer from here without being able to evaluate the dog, but i ...
Pug peeing in bed8/20/2008
  Q: three days ago I purchased a pug dog. It is a neutered male about 14 months old. He is kennel ...
  A: ..the dog should not be in the bed. This dog is having some seperation issues from being with a new ...
Potty Training8/19/2008
  Q: My Lab pups are both just over 4 months old. They are trained to go outside in the day (i leave the ...
  A: Unfortunately you can not teach them to hold it or potty train them much at all, i you let them go ...
Curious about my lab7/29/2008
  Q: Recently, I have been spending time alone with my pup at my weekend home packing up everything ...
  A: ..well i think your dog may be reacting from a couple of things..has he been at that house before ...
My puppy is biting everyone and everything!7/29/2008
  Q: I have a 13 week old Bull mastiff puppy. She has proven herself to be very smart. We just can't ...
  A: .well dogs teeth just like people. When she tries to bite you hold her mouth shut and say NO BITE. ...
potty training7/29/2008
  Q: I have a 9 1/2 week old Amer. Bulldog puppy. I have been trying the crate method...it's not ...
  A: ..i think you are trying to do the correct things but maybe lets tweak it a little. Ok...so first of ...
yellow lab5/29/2008
  Q: We are proud owners of a one year old yellow lab. She has always been a chewer but recently it has ...
  A: .i do not think you are going to like my answer, but if you are leaving the dog outside, there is ...
swallowing everything whole!!!4/30/2008
  Q: I have a 10 mo old male choc lab. We just adopted him from his previous owners due to housing ...
  A: First of all i am sorry this took so long. For some reason i was not showing a question. Ok..first ...
pugs obsessive behaviour4/29/2008
  Q: I have a female pug around 1 year old and in the past two months she has become completely obsessed ...
  A: My guess is that this is seperation anxiety and requires further evaluation which i can not do from ...
2 female boston terriers - sisters4/28/2008
  Q: I have a real delemma. We've had our boston terrier Madison for about 4 years and most of the time ...
  A: Well here is my advice. You should not give the dog back..i think with a little work, all will be ...
potty training, can't find answers anywhere!4/10/2008
  Q: My husband and I adopted a puppy about two months ago. He's anywhere from 6-8 months (they didn't ...
  A: .unfortunately it sounds more like excitable piddling then pottying which takes some in home ...
Scared of Thunder3/28/2008
  Q: I have a mutt who is TERRIFIED of thunder. She will shake and hide under anything she can find. Also ...
  A: Unfortunately, the answer to this question is to desensitize the dog of this noise. The only way to ...
2 dogs3/2/2008
  Q: I have a question, recently i just gave my mom my Lasa Apso (copper)(9mts old) and she has a ...
  A: .yes your dog is trying to dominate the other dog's territory and is defnately marking...it is best ...
House Training an Adult Dog1/29/2008
  Q: My 5 year-old Min Pin refuses to go outside if it's cold or raining and thus "goes" in the house. ...
  A: as i had a dog with the same problem. The litterbox will not fix anything as the dog needs to learn ...
Princess1/29/2008
  Q: My female Chihuahua is about a year and a half old. Before we moved, she was 100% potty trained to ...
  A: Nicole..first of all..do NOT put your dog in her crate as punishment.. this is a safe haven for the ...
Dog peeing on the floor after being boarded1/3/2008
  Q: My dog was recently boarded in a kennel for five days. She has gotten back and is now peeing on the ...
  A: Chances are that when your dog was boarded she was left in a kennel too long and had to urinate and ...
housebreaking a 1 yr old male doberman mix1/2/2008
  Q: two of my dogs got stolen back in september. they were the parents to the puppies i have that were ...
  A: Erica..ikt is extremely hard to break a dog that has been left outside. That is why most dogs are ...
peek a poo1/1/2008
  Q: I have a 1 1/2 year old peek a poo female, and she will pee outside but anytime we have people over ...
  A: the behavior you explain is not housebreaking ...it is an excitable piddling problem. It is also not ...
Finding a dog!!1/1/2008
  Q: I know this is not one of the things you specialize in but i was wondering if you could help me. I ...
  A: ..just to let you know first, any dog that is housebroken will not be housebroken at your house. You ...
mini dachund12/31/2007
  Q: our puppy is 4 months old has had all shots . we are trying to house break , our puppy still poops ...
  A: Ah Steve.my dog did that.. It isnt fun is it? Are you using a crate to crate train? just wondering. ...
bed chewing12/30/2007
  Q: We have a 2year old boxer that chews his bed. When we leave we are sure to leave out toys and bones. ...
  A: why do you give him a bed? Just because i asked a question back did not mean i was done ...
puggles12/30/2007
  Q: Hello we have just bought a puggle and was wondering if you could give some tips on how to house ...
  A: The only way to housebreak a dog is to make sure they dont have accidents. It is like having a ...
dog toys12/29/2007
  Q: I have a year old dog that will not play with the normal dog toys. He loves the plastic happy meal ...
  A: There is no explanation as to why a dog likes some toys and not others...there is a game you can ...
My dog fights with my sister's boyfriend's dog12/29/2007
  Q: I have a female dog, my sister has a male dog & her boyfriend has a female dog. The female dogs ...
  A: Erik..unfortunately there is no quick fix for this. the females are not fighting over the male, they ...
Train a Dog who's 2.12/28/2007
  Q: Is it too late to train my 2 year old miniature poodle to go outside and stay in his kennel?
  A: No its not to late..but do you mean to stay outside at all times? if so, then yes there is a ...
Dog sleeps but wakes at night12/28/2007
  Q: My dog is almost a year and a half old and for the past 3 months he has been driving me and my ...
  A: Carl..dont use medicine on your dog for this., Make sure he doesnt eat past 6 pm or so, put the ...
INAPPROPRIATE MOUTHING/NIPPING12/25/2007
  Q: Our 9-month old puppy is loving and affectionate, but sometimes he interacts with us with his mouth ...
  A: .a muzzle will not help in the long run and may cause more behavioral issues., I would make a shake ...
My dog has stopped using his litter box12/25/2007
  Q: I have a 1 year old Yorkie, Bailey. He has been litter lox trained since April '07. We have never ...
  A: ..let me start first with the fact that two males will continue to mark over each other unless you ...
large pomeranian12/24/2007
  Q: i've bought my first pomerian and he's now 6 months old and weighs about 12lbs. The breeder ...
  A: Unfortunately it is easy to fake papers on a dog these days and many people get extra money for dogs ...
8 year old female dog behaving strangely12/24/2007
  Q: I hope you can give me some more insight on my pets erratic behavior. My husband has an 8 year old ...
  A: we tell people all the time to do a test when they are pregnant to know how the dog will be with a ...
dog marking territory12/24/2007
  Q: i have a 7 year old yorkie that i just got from a lady that was closing down her buisness after 10 ...
  A: Mandy.. NO getting him fixed after the age of two will not keep him from marking. You need to treat ...
my dog poops on the couch12/16/2007
  Q: I have a shuipoo, (small dog) he goes in the couch to do his business. It is soft and smell awfull, ...
  A: Sam, first of all, check your dog food ingredients. If corn is one of the first 5 ingredients, then ...
Pet odor removal12/16/2007
  Q: My daughter has found a wonderful place to rent, HOWEVER, it wreaks of pet urine in hardwood floors. ...
  A: .well two things. first of all, if they are wood floors, then the smell has soaked in and it is ...
house breaking12/16/2007
  Q: they all tell me the shitzu will not go potty in his bed well thats not true i have two shitzus and ...
  A: 7 weeks old? Is that all? How young did you get them? They should not be taken from their mom til 8. ...
inappropriate urination12/15/2007
  Q: We have 5 dogs all neutered; one male 17yo westie, one female 8 yo westie, and 3 female Maltese ...
  A: Judith.i have to ask first of all..why in the world would you put a dog down just for a ...
Lab in kennel for 3 weeks...10/8/2007
  Q: We have to be gone from our home for three weeks due to medical reasons. Our 2-year-old yellow lab ...
  A: ..well if i am being honest, then you need to know your dog is going to be going through seperation ...
Jack Russell Issues10/7/2007
  Q: I have a 18 months old Jack Russell pure-bread. We normally have her sleeping in the bed with me and ...
  A: .you should never allow your pet in the bed as it is a disrepect thing with the dog. At any rate, ...
puppy anxiety8/27/2007
  Q: I am moving soon and I'm afraid my puppy will be nervous about the new house. He is a 5 month old ...
  A: Angela..no do not put the dog on the bed..that is creating worse problems. What you should do is ...
socializing older dog with puppy8/25/2007
  Q: I have two dogs, a 13 yr. old bordercollie/australian shepherd, Macey, and a 2yr old. german ...
  A: .i am not sure if i can help you here without seeing the dogs interact, but with Angel not being a ...
Nervous puppy8/3/2007
  Q: My family and I just bought a 4 month old male German shepherd. The dog was raised on a farm with ...
  A: John all i recommend right now is not to do anything more to the dog yet. He needs to get used to ...
Drooling8/2/2007
  Q: Not sure why pavlofv was so famouse. I can see my dog drool as soon as I open the door to the ...
  A: Unless there is a medical issue with the dog, there is nothing you can do. You could confine the dog ...
Anxious dog when left at home alone8/2/2007
  Q: My dog is 2 yrs. old and he gets very anxious - to the point of shaking very hard - when he is left ...
  A: You may need to have a local trainer come to see your dog for an evaluation. In the meantime. You ...
excited dog peeing???8/2/2007
  Q: we now have a 6 month old german shepherd puppy that my children found abadoned. She is now part of ...
  A: the answer to this is simple really. There is nothing to teach the dog..he is not doing anything ...
Seperation Anxiety8/1/2007
  Q: I have a 6 month old Yorkie/Bichon. We got her when she was two months old. She follows me around ...
  A: Well apparently your dog doesnt really understand the word stay if she only stays a minute. She only ...
Puppy throwing up8/1/2007
  Q: My puppy threw up a this morning, the color of the vomit yellow. he isn't showing any signs of being ...
  A: .i am a dog trainer and not a vet, however, it sounds like he was just eating grass which dogs do if ...
introducing new puppy to older dog8/1/2007
  Q: We have just brought home a 7 week old female cocker spaniel pup, we currently have a 1 1/2yr old ...
  A: Triona...well if you didnt have the dog yet i would have told you to introduce them outside in a ...
Aggressive Lab7/18/2007
  Q: My chocolate lab is very aggressive towards my Siberian husky, they are both females. They grew up ...
  A: Lisa..putting a muzzle on your dog will not help in the long run. It may turn her mean. She will not ...
Yes, another housebreaking dilemma7/18/2007
  Q: I have a 7 month old cocker spaniel. She came to live with us at 13 weeks of age, and in two weeks ...
  A: ..well this is a case where one wishes we could talk to the dog huh? LOL..anyway...maybe she was bit ...
2 year old Havanese rescue potty habits7/18/2007
  Q: We brought Barney into our home the end of October, 2006, when he was just 18 mos old. We had a few ...
  A: First of all, do not let the dog on the furniture...second of all, do not use the crate as a ...
picking from a litter7/18/2007
  Q: How to pick a dog from a litter of labs
  A: well first of all, have them keep the pup til 8 weeks of age. this is important for a well behaved ...
Rescued Basenji peeing on couch and chewed couch7/11/2007
  Q: We adopted a female Basenji two months ago. She is a little under a year old and was already potty ...
  A: .it doesnt matter if the dog was housebroken when you got her..she will regress in a new home since ...
training7/10/2007
  Q: my smart, trained mini poodle has SUDDENLY refused to heel. Just sits and will not move. What is ...
  A: When you take them for walks, keep the leash really short and praise them for not pulling. If they ...
night barking7/9/2007
  Q: We have a 9-month old shih tzu. I usually take her out around midnight for her last release. ...
  A: ..it would be better if you put the dog in a crate in your bedroom..she probably is barking because ...
Chewing on Fur7/9/2007
  Q: I have recently gotten a new puppy from the local SPCA. She is about 9 months, and rather big dog. ...
  A: First if you have had the dog checked out at the vet, it may be an anxiety problem. You may need to ...
Are 2 dogs better together than 1 alone?7/9/2007
  Q: About 4 months ago, my fiance and I got a chihuahua. He is now 10 months old. We both work and are ...
  A: Believe it or not another puppy will do nothing for your dog. You are his pack and another dog may ...
Frustrated at housebreaking................6/28/2007
  Q: my dog Trixie is a 10 month old Beagle. She has for some reason started back to using the bathroom ...
  A: Unfortunately, you are going to have to start off doing housebreaking completely over again as if ...
Potty Training6/28/2007
  Q: I have a Chihuahua pup that's 6 months. I've had her since 10 weeks. She is super hyperactive and ...
  A: Ok..here is what i think off the batt..the dog can not be allowed on the bed or furniture until he ...
New Sister??6/28/2007
  Q: I have a two year old Jack Russell/Chiuhuwa mix. He is very affectionate towards people in his inner ...
  A: ..it is hard to answer this without seeing the dog, but if you do it right, it should not be a ...
dogs not getting along6/27/2007
  Q: my two boy Chihuahuas mostly my older one cant get along, the older one barks sometimes at the puppy ...
  A: Is your older male neutered? Male dogs can be dominant and if he is not neutered, he may never get ...
Re-introducing toys in a two dog home.6/26/2007
  Q: We just rescued a 2 year old female puggle (spayed) that has some abandonment issues. She has taken ...
  A: I think you need to work with Layla first ...is she letting you take the toys from her just fine? If ...
louie6/26/2007
  Q: My male Maltese Louie is completely out of control when ever we take him for a walk, he goes ...
  A: Beth, unfortunately, i can not help you here, but a trainer locally in your area can help. this is a ...
dogs off lead6/26/2007
  Q: I've just got a dog and I am looking forward to when he can walk on a field without a lead. I am ...
  A: The answer to this Babs is..you need to train him to be ready. He needs to know obedience ON the ...
father issues6/26/2007
  Q: I have a two yr. old male yorkie who mated with my sisters female yorkie which lives in our home as ...
  A: The puppy has a natural scent to it which is supposed to protect it. He "Stinks". The reason the ...
Miniature daschund6/19/2007
  Q: I have a male longhaired miniature daschund he is 6 months old. Up until about 3 or 4 weeks ago he ...
  A: Yvonne..this is actually a very simple answer, although you may not think it is very helpful. YOu ...
my basset hound bit my mother6/18/2007
  Q: I have a 1 1/2 year old male neutered basset. He's a sweet dog, but when he is around food or has a ...
  A: Dogs that are possessive can be taught not to be, but i would not recommend it without a ...
Help me pick a breed6/18/2007
  Q: My family's looking to buy a dog and so I'm trying to do my part of the research. I'm 19 but I'm a ...
  A: Well Dan, you obviously thought this through. I agree two dogs will not work for this situation. I ...
getting dogs to enjoy being in the pool with me6/16/2007
  Q: I have a 7 year old dobe and a 1 1/2 year old rescue corgi mix. We live in Phoenix, AZ and I want to ...
  A: Well you cant make a dog want to go in the water, but what you can try is getting a small kids pool ...
Siberian Husky 8 month old6/15/2007
  Q: I have 2 Siberian Huskies, one male and one female. My female, which is currently 8 months old now ...
  A: Jazmine...well you may not like my answer. first of all, it is true that spaying her will do nothing ...
House training6/15/2007
  Q: I cant get my 1 year old dashund housetrained. This morning I told him out he did his business. ...
  A: Are you free feeding the dog? It sounds like he gets to eat whenever he wants. the only way for him ...
my puppy poop on his bed...6/14/2007
  Q: my puppyis 2 mths old and he pee and poop everywhere helikes. I tried to bring him out to poo or ...
  A: Is this a dog from a petstore? If it is, that may be why. They do not have a choice as to where they ...
Male dominance in my bigger dog6/13/2007
  Q: I have a 3 year old Lab Husky mix. He is a very sweet dog and has never shown aggression to me or my ...
  A: .and yes it is true neutering may help..but only if they are neutered before the age of 1 and a ...
Pup continusly pawing and licking other dogs6/13/2007
  Q: I have an issue at home with one of our 3 dogs. In the last 4 months we have acquired a new lab x ...
  A: .i wish i could do more for you from here, but your dog needs to be evaluated. It could be an ...
none6/12/2007
  Q: I sold a puppy to a person, four months later she calls me saying the dog turned out to be mean, and ...
  A: Ok cody.first of all, it is YOUR responsibility if you are going to sell dogs, to make sure your ...
Yorkie-poo barking at night6/12/2007
  Q: I hope you can help me. I have a 3 1/2 month old Yorkie-poo. He has been doing well with ...
  A: .the only way you are going to fix this is to NOT give into the dog. First of all, the crate should ...
my weim has started peeing in the house6/11/2007
  Q: I have a four year old weim and he has started to pee in the house. home or not, i find puddles. ...
  A: it is reallly difficult for me to know exactly what is going on with your dog without seeing him. It ...
digging dog5/20/2007
  Q: I have a 2 year old male German shepard that consistently digs up the same area of yard, directly ...
  A: ok...well lets start with the fact that if you dont leave the dog outside while you are gone, that ...
Pug behavior problem5/19/2007
  Q: Hope you can help. I own three pugs, two of them rescues, and have had a total of five pugs. Every ...
  A: i know exactly what you mean as i had a rescue like that. Unfortunately, nothing i can say here can ...
Behavior Issues!5/18/2007
  Q: Please note: **I have a Male German Shepherd, 2 years old. NOT FIXED! **I have a Male Pug. 4 years ...
  A: It is really hard to be a 100% sure without seeing your dog, however, this i can be sure of......If ...
No, no5/14/2007
  Q: i have a terrier and i dont know exactly how old he is. i was told he was born in november when he ...
  A: you might read some of my past answers on this subject. You have to crate the dog so he cant go in ...
Poodle bit my 3yr old daughter in the face5/11/2007
  Q: My parents have 2 dogs. They are both approx. 3.5yrs old. Fraiser the dog in question is a poodle ...
  A: This is really something i need to be able to evaluate in person. It sounds like your dog may have a ...
Separation Anxiety in a Whippet5/10/2007
  Q: Last month, I had to euthanize my 6 yr. old Greyhound (bled out internally/ rupture in ...
  A: . i really wont be able to give a full answer without seeing this dog, however, i truly believe that ...
please how to stop the howling will in create5/9/2007
  Q: I have a 9 week border collie puppy, what can I do to stop the whining and howling when she is put ...
  A: YOu can not get the dog to stop doing this..is it a crate that she can see out of?it should not be ...
introducing puppy to older dog5/8/2007
  Q: My family is going to be taking in a male chihuahua puppy in a few weeks that needs a home. We are ...
  A: It is sometimes hard to have two male dogs together. A female would have been better...but here is ...
shih tzu puppy cries all the time5/7/2007
  Q: my wife and i have a shih tzu puppy that is 9.5 weeks old. I know that puppies whine allot but this ...
  A: Pay attention to what you are doing when the dog cries..it is like having a baby...dont go give her ...
Shih tzu5/2/2007
  Q: I have 2 questions. Could my Shih tzu change colors after 6 months at all? And how can I help her to ...
  A: Yes your dog can change colors. for housebreaking, you need to use a crate when you are not able to ...
adopted 2 year old4/26/2007
  Q: "We just adopted a 2 year old Sheltie corgi mix from Citizens for the Protection of Animals. We ...
  A: first of all, the vet questions need to be addressed by a vet. I would definately take her for an ...
young pup alone all day4/26/2007
  Q: I have an eleven week old rott/chow mix, I've read several mags and understand the importance of ...
  A: Ok first things first. Do NOT get another pup. Your dog will not care if a playmate is there..she ...
puppy behavior problem4/25/2007
  Q: I have a pit bull/bull mastoff mix that is 11 weeks old. He is a great puppy with the normal puppy ...
  A: Do you know where this pup came from? If it was a petstore, that may explain the behavior, I think ...
biting4/22/2007
  Q: my 22 month old rottie was at the pet resort ands has been there many times always playing with the ...
  A: I agree that if the girl had not reacted as she did, your dog would not have done this. However, if ...
Cairn Terrier - aged 3 in June 20074/18/2007
  Q: My cairn terrier has become aggressive towards children. As we live in a corner house, she has ...
  A: i am sorry you feel my knowledge was bad but there are some things that can only be fixed in person. ...
dog attacking4/17/2007
  Q: i have a 3 1/2yr old old english sheep dog and at christmas he started to get aggressive and tried ...
  A: first of all neutering a dog only helps by the age of 2. So although it was good that you did this, ...
indoor accidents4/16/2007
  Q: We recently adopted a five year old Bulldog. His previous owner had him in his own room with a couch ...
  A: Is he peeing anywhere else or just on the items you mentioned? I am thinking that the previous owner ...
About my new dog.4/15/2007
  Q: um my new dog a german shaprd mix,and she likes to nip alot and i try to say no and she bites ur ...
  A: .you must have meant to write to someone else. My name is Nancy. At any rate, yes you must teach the ...
Puppy eating carpet4/14/2007
  Q: I hope you can help me with this.....I have a puppy who's approximately 8 months old, a ...
  A: I have to go through a few things because there is not enough information here. I am assuming that ...
Chow moved to new home, having behavioral issues4/9/2007
  Q: I have a chow that's about 9 months old, I recently moved from a wooded area in CT to the city of ...
  A: First of all, yes she is probably stressed, but also confused and doesnt know where she is supposed ...
dog housebreaking4/9/2007
  Q: I seem to be having a problem with keeping my dog from going inside. I take her out and she'll ...
  A: First of all, you cant let the dog out to go potty. You need to go with her and when she does it get ...
Saint bernard dog4/3/2007
  Q: I have a male saint Bernard dog 14 month old ,his is not Aggressive at all on our family members and ...
  A: Honestly I dont think your dog is being aggressive at all. Let me start first by saying that ...
Moving and housebreaking problems4/3/2007
  Q: I have two dalmations a 13 year old spayed female and a 15 month old neutered male. We moved about 5 ...
  A: Unfortunately, you must start potty training over againl But if the dog is going in the same spot ...
agressive scottie4/1/2007
  Q: We have two Scottish terriers, male and female, 10 months old.They have been very good and ...
  A: Marisa. you only have two options. You either hire a behaviorist right away to try to see if the ...
dos and play mates3/31/2007
  Q: i was just wondering if it is better for dogs to have a play mate or not.we have a blcklab husky mix ...
  A: That decision has to be yours, however i can tell you this. Your dog thinks of YOU as her pack. She ...
Potty training3/31/2007
  Q: I have a 5 1/2 month old puppy. She is Chow, Shepherd and Pit mix. I cannot get her to go to the ...
  A: are you using a crate inside? it doesnt sound like it. The only way to housebrreak a dog is to make ...
training3/28/2007
  Q: i have a female miniature pincher who just recently started barking at every person in, or around my ...
  A: Ok..this is something you have to be consistent about. Make a shaker can. Take an empty pop can and ...
beagles3/26/2007
  Q: Are beagles a good dog for kids?
  A: This question is not easily answered. Any dog can be a good dog for kids if you get one with the ...
golden retreiver pup3/26/2007
  Q: I just bought my golden 1 day ago. She is 2 months old. She seems scared at certain times and happy ...
  A: This is normal behavior and may last a while. THe dog was just taken from her mom and siblings. Just ...
feeding a siberane husky malemute mix3/22/2007
  Q: I have a husky malamute mix and he is a great dog but trying to find him food that he will eat is ...
  A: no dont give your dog a rib bone. the best food for a dog right now in my opinion is flint river ...
Dog peeing on corner of our bed3/21/2007
  Q: Our 18-month old neutered miniature schnauzer has never been perfectly house trained. He does not ...
  A: If that is the only place he is doing it, then it sounds more behavioral to me, not territorial. You ...
re housebreaking3/20/2007
  Q: I have a 9 1/2 month old female rottwieler x masstif. She is very smart and learns quickly. I am ...
  A: Moving a dog to a new place will do that to a dog. It sounds like the dog was never completely ...
2 Females together3/19/2007
  Q: I hope you can help me. I have a 2 year old Red Hound and a 2 year old Rottweiler/Lab.These girls ...
  A: I know you wont be happy with my answer but you really need to hire a good behaviorist to help you. ...
dogs3/14/2007
  Q: my sister & I want a dog, she is alergic, but I know there are some who aren't like others in their ...
  A: You just mentioned two of the best breeds for allergies. I dont think schnauzers are high strung at ...
dog does not like new puppy3/11/2007
  Q: My Maltese does not like my new chihuahua puppy. She isn't aggressive but will growl if he comes ...
  A: ..there are many different things that can cause what you describe. It is most likely the pregnancy ...
training dogs3/9/2007
  Q: i have a ptibull mix with a potcake an a doberman pincher an i want themt o be good guard dog i want ...
  A: .your dogs may not be able to make good guard dogs...you need to test them by a professional after ...
Dog types3/3/2007
  Q: I am 14. My mom is finaly going to let me get a puppy in june. I am very excited to be able to train ...
  A: Shayla..thanks for the question and congrats on being able to get a puppy. Puppies are alot of work ...
my dog eats her feces3/2/2007
  Q: I have a 5 month old chonzer that refuses to get housebroken, and eats her own feces. Me and my wife ...
  A: Before i answer your question, i really need to ask you a few. Do you go outside with the dog when ...
Separation Anxiety3/1/2007
  Q: we have a 4 year old 95 lb rottweiler (male). We also have a female same weight and 2 shelties). ...
  A: I had a howler also. It usually stopped though after a bit. It sounds like your dog has seperation ...
puppy plays with poop2/25/2007
  Q: just recently our 4 1/2month old pug/pekinese mix male will paw at his poop. At first he seemed to ...
  A: Ac tually my response is to go out with the dog and when he starts doing it tell him NO in a stern ...
Dog preferring to poop inside2/23/2007
  Q: We just adopted a Sheltie from a breeder. She is 10 weeks old and her housebreaking is going great ...
  A: you need to go out with her each time and dont come in til she goes poop...tell her she is a good ...
help2/4/2007
  Q: hi mi 7 month old lab isnt guarding me is their a way i can teach it if some one hits me it will ...
  A: .first of all labs are not typically guard dogs, but even if they were, not all dogs will protect or ...
help2/4/2007
  Q: when i throw a ball or a stick and tell him to fetch he fetches it but doesnt bring it to me and ...
  A: .first of all, this may just be a lack of respect as far as the dog running away from you when you ...
Behavior in puppy2/2/2007
  Q: I have a male Chorkie puppy. Half Chichuahua and Yorkshire terrier. He's a good little guy. We've ...
  A: ..and no..you should get him neutered when your vet says, but do it right when he says..if he starts ...
help2/1/2007
  Q: whats the best dog food for my chocolate lab?
  A: I like Flint river ranch..not only because i am a distributor, but because it is baked, no corn in ...
my dog and my pregnancy1/31/2007
  Q: I have a great peekapoo named Kye. He is wonderful but I have noticed since finding out I am ...
  A: ..well this is a little tough...we may need to try a couple of things to know what is going on. Dogs ...
Dominance1/29/2007
  Q: She is 1 yr 4 months. She had a litter of pups reciently and was spayed 4days ago. My older dog ...
  A: .what it sounds like from here with me seeing your dog, is that the new dog is trying to dominate ...
coming to me1/29/2007
  Q: when i let my minature schnauzer off her leash and i call for her, she wont come back unless i chase ...
  A: Your dog needs obedience training. Your dog doesnt respect you if she runs off...you will need to ...
Marking around the house.1/29/2007
  Q: We have 4 Maltese dogs. All boys ages 1.5 - 9 years old. Recently our dogs started marking ...
  A: .unfortunately, you may not like my answer to this question. It is too late to neuter your dogs if ...
what will happen1/27/2007
  Q: If my dog is playful and we get him neutered will he still be the same playful dog?
  A: .neutering your dog should not change his personality. Of course, he will be different for a week or ...
digging, growling dog1/26/2007
  Q: I have a five month old puppy. She has recently dug out of the yard. The same day she started ...
  A: The dog is digging first of all, because he should not be left outside alone. Dogs are pack animals ...
Adding a Second dog to the family1/24/2007
  Q: I have a two year old male lab, who is a very good dog within the home, but is very excitable out on ...
  A: Sounds like you need a dog trainer to help you calm your dog down. i can not help you from here ...
my little jack1/23/2007
  Q: my name is Debra Epling and i have a 11 week old jack russell terrier iv had him for 2 weeks now and ...
  A: ..the problem with the pads is two fold..first of all it teaches the dog that it is ok to go potty ...
male vs female1/22/2007
  Q: but now im gonna get a baby female Chihuahua, are there temperments much different than a male. our ...
  A: ..yes a female will be the same..it has nothing to do with the sex of the dog, it has to do with the ...
Schnauzer(Standard) separation anxiety and defecating in crate1/19/2007
  Q: Daisy, our Standard schnauzer puppy, has been with us for 3 days now (she is 3.5 months old), and we ...
  A: This definately sounds like anxiety to me. Can i ask you where you got the dog? It sounds like a ...
dog behavior at night1/18/2007
  Q: Last winter, 5 or 6 times, she woke me at night by clawing at my head. She would be panting and ...
  A: I believe your dog is reacting to something that you may not be aware of. Did your vet suggest ...
DRIBBLING!12/20/2006
  Q: I have a lively white boxer and he is great with everyone. My main problem is if he so much as see ...
  A: ..your question is different, however, not silly at all. You may need to check with a vet for a ...
Biting puppy12/20/2006
  Q: So glad I found you. Reading, I learned that spanking won't correct bad behavior, but I haven't ...
  A: . When a pup is younger and starts biting at its mom, the mom will take the pup by the scruff firmly ...
seperation12/19/2006
  Q: I just got a 8 week old puppy and while I am at work it cries all day long! I stayed home one day ...
  A: ..how long have you had the dog and where do you put it while gone? If you put it in a room or block ...
Aggressive puppy???12/18/2006
  Q: I picked out a 3/4 Lab 1/4 pit bull puppy for our family. He was very sweet and laid back! The ...
  A: .first of all.....the breed has nothing to do with anything....i am pretty sure it is partly that ...
Gaining the trust of cocker spaniel who used to be a kennel dog12/17/2006
  Q: I recently lost our 1 yr old male cocker spaniel to a car.......heart-broken and missing him I just ...
  A: . i know exactly what you are going through. I got a rescue dog and she was the same way. What you ...
Housetraining Problem11/1/2006
  Q: My 5 month old Shih Tzu is fully trained when confined to the kitchen. She uses a dog door which ...
  A: The method you are using will not work. doggie doors are for completely housebroken dogs which yours ...
Roaming Male10/31/2006
  Q: Is there anything that can be done to keep my male dog home. He can open gates, (we now put a clip ...
  A: The dog is not running away just to have fun. Dogs are meant to be inside animals and when left ...
Boston Terrier NIGHTMARE!!!10/30/2006
  Q: Nancy~ Oh boy do I need your help. My boyfriend has a 2 yr old Boston Terrier. When we first ...
  A: Kristin. Hi there...i am not going to be able to help you here unfortunately. I will tell you some ...
Housebreaking Problems10/30/2006
  Q: My husband and I have an 11 month old terrier mix who we adopted about 2 months ago. We take her on ...
  A: .wow..that trainer is not a real trainer if she told you that. You definately need to use the crate ...
10month pit terrior10/29/2006
  Q: my 0 month old red nose pit bull drinks a lot of water at one time. is that a bad sign of an ...
  A: Andrew..the water thing should be fine..as far as the other questions...you need to hire a trainer ...
My Shy Dog10/27/2006
  Q: I have a new shy dog. whenever i reach to pet him he will flinch!! i try to push his butt down to ...
  A: .first of all, treats are not good so dont worry about that part. Secondly, it sounds like this dog ...
Yorkie bad behavior10/27/2006
  Q: Hopefully you can helpe me. We adapted a 3 year old Yorkie male. Although at first he seemed to be ...
  A: .this dog is in the bed with you? That is not good..the dog can not sleep in the bed or he will take ...
potty training my 4mos old pittbull10/24/2006
  Q: i have 2 dogs in our house.1st is a rott namedbasti that i did not have any hard time training it, ...
  A: .well the key is to feed the dog earlier and not put the dog in the crate until she goes. It may ...
Housebreaking while working?10/24/2006
  Q: I'd like to get a puppy early next year - specifically a cockapoo. My concern however is how to ...
  A: ..this is a very long answer, but i will do my best to answer it generally as every puppy is ...
giving away my dog10/22/2006
  Q: iam going to be giving away my german shepherd and i waondering what are some things that i can do ...
  A: Why are you giving away one of the best tempered, easily trained dogs there is? Anyway.no it is ...
deaf puppy pottying in crate10/21/2006
  Q: I have a deaf male boxer. I have had and rescued boxers my entire life. I have never really had this ...
  A: Jessica...first of all..i think you should get your dog checked out by a vet since he should not ...
Dogs chewing each other's wounds10/20/2006
  Q: I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end! I have 2 black labs who are inseparable. One ...
  A: Unfortunately the only way to stop this is to watch the dog at all times. In order to do this with ...
crate training10/20/2006
  Q: ..I LEAVE TOYS AND A TREAT IN THERE AND SHE HAD A BLANKET...FOR THE PAST COUPLE DAYS SHE HAS BEEN ...
  A: Helo..first of all..take out the toys and blanket. she doesnt need them\. And do not leave water in ...
Jack Russell10/19/2006
  Q: I have had my jack russell about 3 weeks ( he is 12 weeks old) i am having a very hard time house ...
  A: Leanne, you may need to hire a professional, but i will tell you what i can here. NEVER EVER punish ...
Anxiety10/19/2006
  Q: I have a 6-year old female Jack Russell. She has never had a problem with separation anxiety and ...
  A: I think first of all that you should have your dog checked by a vet, just to be certain there is ...
seperation anxiety10/18/2006
  Q: My friends have a 1 1/2 year old black lab. He was crate trained like thier past dogs and did well ...
  A: ...no there is not need for meds for the dog. The dog has never been properly taught that chewing is ...
Dog home alone10/17/2006
  Q: I have a 5 year old Shitzu mix that for the first time will be left home for 8 to 9 hours. I bring ...
  A: You are not a bad parent for leaving the dog. The only problem may be that the dog will know it is ...
separation problems10/11/2006
  Q: My son has recently bought his own house. The part German Shepard dog is his. Leah is 10 years old, ...
  A: ..sorry i just got this question. You need to have your dog checked by a vet, but i believe the dog ...
Barking Yorkie10/10/2006
  Q: Help. How can I stop my 4 yr old male yorkie to stop barking at animals on TV
  A: this is not a simple process that can be explained here on text however, you can start by using a ...
New house, new puppy, established dog.10/8/2006
  Q: I'm in a bit of a situation. My girlfriend and I recently moved in together. I've brought my almost ...
  A: You neglected to tell me whether or not the puppy is a female also. In any case. I dont believe your ...
dog eating excrement of other dog9/21/2006
  Q: We have two Jack Russells, a 7 yr femal and a 6 month male pup. They are well adapted to each other ...
  A: First of all, if you look at the ingredients on the dogs food, is one of the first four ingredients ...
Peeing on carpet9/18/2006
  Q: Iím having a problem with a 6-year-old Norwich terrier peeing on the carpet. I purchased him a few ...
  A: You need to hire a behaviorist for you dog to work with you in your home. This is a behavioral ...
house training9/16/2006
  Q: We are considering another puppy. I trained my last female Bichon Shitzu (now 7 years old) on wood ...
  A: ok..where to start. I dont have opinions on breeds mixed with other breeds. It is all about the ...
House breaking an older adopted dog9/15/2006
  Q: I got a Boston Terrier mix (vet thinks with American Stafford/terrier) and she is about 2 years old. ...
  A: Kelly..you may need to hire a professional, but i will tell you what i can here. NEVER EVER punish ...
potty training older dogs9/10/2006
  Q: I have 3 boston terriers, 1 male & 2 females (not related) they are all about 2 years old. They are ...
  A: Stephannie, you are not crate training your dogs correctly. This problem can not be fixed unless you ...
possible aggression9/8/2006
  Q: We have a 5 month old lab. When she comes in our house she will pick up our children's toys. I ...
  A: This is a sign of disrespect. You need to get professional in home training done for you and the dog ...
Male pug dominance9/6/2006
  Q: I have 3-1/2 year old male pug. He has a great personality,although this dog is BY FAR the most ...
  A: unofrutnately this could be more then just a dominance issue. Normally we tell people to neuter ...
dog depression9/4/2006
  Q: and I am a student at Florida State University. I am currently a sophomore, and I have a question ...
  A: I read your situation and although dogs can get sad when someone goes away, i am thinking that the ...
dog nipping8/31/2006
  Q: I have a 2 year old Shi Szu that has always been aggressive. He specializes now in two irritating ...
  A: Don....first of all, have you had your dog checked out by a vet? He may have a problem with his ...
Lab and Rottweiler Mix8/29/2006
  Q: I am considering getting a puppy. It is a black lab mixed with rottweiler. I was wondering if you ...
  A: Just because a dog is a certain breed, does not mean its temperment will be a certain way, ...
Submissive wetting.8/26/2006
  Q: My 2 year old St. Bernaard Maggie has a problem with submissive wetting. What can we do to correct ...
  A: .unfortunately this question is too involved to answer here. It is really YOU that needs to change ...
housebreaking a rescue dog5/9/2006
  Q: I recently rescued a 2 yr old, 14 lb, male yorkie/silky mix from a yorkie rescue. He is a wonderful ...
  A: Lori..ok..lots of questions. First clean the floor with half and half white vinegar and water and ...
Chiuaua Puppy5/9/2006
  Q: I just recently got a 10 week old male pup. I am having difficulty getting him to use the puppy ...
  A: Jaime. Those pads do not work...if you think about it, they teach the dog it is ok to go to the ...
older dog becoming aggressive5/9/2006
  Q: I have a nine year old male boxer. He is neutered. About a year and a half ago our female boxer ...
  A: Maria..i dont think your dogs problems stem from the dog fight. I think it was more from the loss of ...
dominate boxers5/8/2006
  Q: We have 2 boxers, Bart 1 1/2 yrs and now Bella 5 mo. They both are very dominate and seem to only ...
  A: Maria...i need to ask...where were the dogs professionally trained? Not in home i hope? You need an ...
aggressive puppy5/5/2006
  Q: I have a 16 week old boston terrier-that was purchased from a reputable breeder.My question is ...
  A: First of all...please do NOT place your dog in the kennel as punishment. It should only be used for ...
Dog urinating on our bed5/5/2006
  Q: The other day we discovered that my 6 year old female beagle had urinated on my husbands side of our ...
  A: WEll this question is easy on my end. On your end, you may not like what i have to say. This dog is ...
Destructive Behavior5/4/2006
  Q: Help! We have a 9 month old male Vizsla who has recently (past month or so) started to display some ...
  A: You need to hire a behaviorist..there is not a simple answer for this. Please check references and ...
Separation Anxiety5/3/2006
  Q: PLEASE HELP! I recently moved from my parent's where there was constant activity all day to an ...
  A: Well if you had asked me before you moved into this situation, i would have told you not to move the ...
Training collars?5/1/2006
  Q: I have a 5 lb 3 year old Yorkie and a 8 week old Miniature Dachshund. What type of training collar ...
  A: ...you do NOt want to use a haltie or the type that goes around the body. A regular flat color or ...
aggressive daschund3/29/2006
  Q: Maybe you can hlep me with my "problem" daschund. First, he is a GREAT family pet. He is excellent ...
  A: Nancy...it is really hard to answer this question here without being in front of your dog or seeing ...
dog biting3/19/2006
  Q: My situation is this, we have had a golden retriever for about 2 years now. He is a very well ...
  A: Sarah..you are correct do NOT punish the dog. Just go back to the old times,....feed him out of your ...
Potty training when working3/16/2006
  Q: I am planning on a new puppy in the first of May but one thing has changed since my last puppy... I ...
  A: .i am not sure i can help you fully here, but here is what i CAN tell you. No your dog can NOt be ...
behaviour3/11/2006
  Q: My name is Gabriel (originally from Israel)† and I live in Sedona Az with my wife and dog Ram (short ...
  A: Gabriel, is your dog neutered? If not, do so as soon as possible. pAlso, he's becoming a maturing ...
House Training3/8/2006
  Q: I adopted an 8 week old Husky mix, and although its only been 5 days, she's not doing good at all ...
  A: Jaclyn. Our puppy housebreaking lessons are usually an hour long, so there is too much to say here. ...
dog problem3/6/2006
  Q: I have a serious problem with my dog who starts to bark exactly at 6am EVERY morning until we go ...
  A: I am not sure you will like my answer, but it seems simple, at least to me. You need training..in ...
Dog doesn't want us going outdoors3/5/2006
  Q: I am working with an obedience trainer and having success with most areas. First of all, my dog is ...
  A: Jim, I dont understand. If you are working with a true certified trainer, then this is not a ...
Agression3/5/2006
  Q: We have a 4-5 month old rescue Shepherd /Maybe Rott mix, He is showing signs of aggression already. ...
  A: It is almost impossible for a 5 month old dog to be aggressive. I am thinking you may be ...
Dog timid after fight2/26/2006
  Q: Greetings. We own 2 dogs, about 6 months apart in age, both females. Molly is a beagle-chow mix (18 ...
  A: Amanda..unfortunately, it is hard to tell without being in front of the dogs, whether or not this ...
Jack Russell2/21/2006
  Q: I have two male Jack's, one is 3 and the other is 2, I also have a 4 year old female, all live in ...
  A: You are correct not to wait Lauren. If both dogs are dominant, one may kill the other. You need ...
Treats for training pups2/16/2006
  Q: What can I give my 4 month maltese as treats when i train him? I know that they probably have ...
  A: Faye..i thought i answered this once before, but i guess it didnt go through. First of all, do NOT ...
selecting a dog1/13/2006
  Q: nancy, thank you for your prompt reply to my earlier enquiry. ideally i would be ...
  A: ..now i cant help you with that. because dogs do not belong in a yard unless they are protection ...
Dog bites at Kids only12/28/2005
  Q: I have a West Highland Terrier who nips at kids when they enter the room where her bed and food ...
  A: ..you need immediate dog training by a professional that does NOT use treats. I can pretty much tell ...
Becoming a Dog Trainer12/12/2005
  Q: I was just looking at your list of expertise (quite impressive!) and I noticed something that I was ...
  A: Kay. First, you need to find out if your state actually does have certification for dog training. ...
Vicious Dog next door12/4/2005
  Q: We have a vicious dog next door that keeps getting throught the fence and barking at me when I go in ...
  A: Al. I guess this is a hard question to answer in writing, but i wonder if this dog is vicious at ...
Tips for Boxer Pup12/1/2005
  Q: We are about to get a Boxer pup. (I'm not sure of age yet because we haven't decided what breeder to ...
  A: I am not sure where you live, but classes usually start at 4 months of age, not six. This is so that ...
housebreaking puppy12/1/2005
  Q: I have a 5 month old puppy I adopted at the humane society about 10 days ago. He is smart but he has ...
  A: Amy. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I forgot to mark myself out for vacation. Ok...to your ...
Dog tries to kill cats10/22/2005
  Q: I am very concerned. I have just recently adopted a German Shepherd mix from the local SPCA. His ...
  A: We deal with it often in our training sessions, but it takes a skilled trainer/behaviorist and some ...
Behaviour10/21/2005
  Q: I have a border collie cross who has lots of energy. She has separation anxiety and will tear ...
  A: Alicia, I am sorry, but seperation anxiety is not simply solved. We deal with it often in our ...
picking a puppy9/15/2005
  Q: My wife and i have a male dog, hes fixed and were considering getting a female puppy same breed ...
  A: Breeding sibling to parent, half brother to half sister, or with the closest inbreeding of all ...
jack russle terrier peeing in house.9/10/2005
  Q: My 11 month old male jack russle terreir has taken to spraying things in the house over the last 2/3 ...
  A: This is not a simple yes or no answer. First of all, neutering your dog once they start to mark is ...
Dogs fighting9/3/2005
  Q: I have four dogs, all of who are un-castrated. They range in age from 5 to 2 years old. The second ...
  A: .i can not answer this question fully without seeing your dog and evaluating it...but. neutering ...
Walking a dog8/30/2005
  Q: My husband and I recently adopted a sweet Sheltie that is VERY well behaved and I would say pretty ...
  A: .sorry it took me so long to respond..i forgot to mark myself away. This is an easy answer for me, ...
dogs8/25/2005
  Q: can you housetrain a six year old lhaso apso if it is used to living and doing the toilet anywhere?
  A: .yes you can still train the dog...however, housebreaking is usually an hour lesson by itself so i ...
swimming8/22/2005
  Q: can/is it safe, to teach your dog to dive under water? If yes and yes; How? ...
  A: it is safe for dogs to be in water...depending on the type of dog, you may have to watch for ear ...
dog barking8/18/2005
  Q: I am desperately in need of help. My family and I rescued a dog in December. He is a 2 year old ...
  A: .first let me say i am sorry i didnt write back sooner...i had something come up and didnt get the ...
Shih Tzu Puppy8/14/2005
  Q: We just bought a Shih Tzu puppy the other day. This is my first Shih Tzu dog. I have had a shepherd ...
  A: Robert..HI...well lets start with this...the crate. Now let me get this straight...if the dog throws ...
Behaviour8/11/2005
  Q: We have a 16 year old Jack Russel Terrier. Never any problems before. The usual barking when we ...
  A: ..let me first ask..what is the problem with a crate? Are you thinking of it as a punishment? If ...
Cats and Dogs8/4/2005
  Q: I am the proud owner of a two year old English Springer Spaniel and a Boxer the same age. I have ...
  A: Naomi...i believe that the cat is going to be more of a problem then the dog will. But this is a ...
Seperation anxiety8/4/2005
  Q: I am a 48 year old male. I live with my wife and our two dogs. Pedro and Max. We adopted them at ...
  A: .unfortunately this is not an easy answer. Your dog needs training in the home and also will be much ...
Aggressive biting problem8/2/2005
  Q: My wife and I are at the end of our rope with our new 5 1/2-month-old American Cocker Spaniel. We ...
  A: .i am so sorry for the things you are going through..unfortunately i am unaware of the rescues in ...
anxiety7/31/2005
  Q: was wondering if you could help. we just got a puppy a few days ago - brittany. we have to leave ...
  A: No...we deal with excessive seperation anxiety all the time..just look for a reputable behviorist ...
My rescue pup7/25/2005
  Q: I have a 2 year old mix (coonhound/doberman/beagle mix), Bailie that I adopted from a local animals ...
  A: Michelle..have you tried taking out the nail clippers gradually and NOT using them..at first just ...
Pregnancy and my dog (Eggo)7/15/2005
  Q: Hi I'm Bekky my dog is Eggo she is a fox terrior greyhound mix she just turned 2 on July 12. I ...
  A: I can tell, first of all, that you need personal training for your dog. Not the kind where you send ...
Mama's boy7/12/2005
  Q: I have a 2 year old Doberman, Logan, who is healthy and pretty much well trained. He has always been ...
  A: Your hubby is right. do not put the shirt in with your dog. The only thing I can offer right now is ...
Dog Depression7/4/2005
  Q: I am asking this question for my stepmom. She had 2 dogs, one a border collie, and one a mix, ...
  A: i am sorry to hear about your loss as well as Dexter's loss. It is normal for dexter to be this way ...
adding a new puppy6/7/2005
  Q: I have decided to get another dog, I have a black lab (1 1/2 years old and spayed) and a jack russle ...
  A: .this is really not a question that i can answer with 100% certainty since every dog is different ...
my dog doesn't like other dogs5/16/2005
  Q: We adopted a female black lab from a shelter 2 yrs. ago. She is a wonderful family pet with one ...
  A: Kris..first of all..GET THE PRONG COLLAR off that dog! It will make her aggressive. Think about how ...
Hot to pick a good dog from a litter of pups5/1/2005
  Q: and are wondering what kinda dog would be a good dog for us since we live in an apt is about 1,200 ...
  A: Vic...you absolutely do NOT want a petstore dog. You will never be able to housebreak this kind of ...
Picking a Golden Retriever Puppy4/28/2005
  Q: Ms. Herbert, We are hoping to find a reputable breeder of Goldens in our area in the next few ...
  A: Chris..this is a hard one for me, as I don't believe that your dog needed to be euthenized, but ...
Stopping my dog from peeing when excited4/8/2005
  Q: I am the proud owner of a 6 month old Dachshund. Unfortualy when ever someone he knows comes over ...
  A: Rachelle..this is not a housebreaking problem so do not put the dog outside as he will start ...
My dog barks to much at others outside her yard...3/29/2005
  Q: Nancy, I have a 5 year old chocolate lab, female. We had a dog next door up until last year when ...
  A: Steve..this barking problem is common but could not have been caused by the other dog. Unfortunately ...
Housebreaking3/20/2005
  Q: I am planning to get a Golden Retriever puppy (a younger one, about eight weeks old)soon. My problem ...
  A: It is ok to teach the dog to go potty on the balcony, but there is more to potty training then i can ...
lab has developed a lump3/10/2005
  Q: I know you are not a vet but I have a question that I hoped you could help me with as I can only ...
  A: .i cant answer this question for sure but i doubt that it is from the rough play from your other ...
seperation anxiety2/16/2005
  Q: my chihuahua is about a year old and i took her in as a stray around thanksgiving. she had to go ...
  A: Aimee..you have two choices..get a plastic crate and use it correctly and dont worry about the dog ...
housebreaking1/5/2005
  Q: We adopted a 9 month old Aussie Shepherd mix from the pound a month ago. She was wetting in the ...
  A: Amy..this answer is quite involved. You are not housebreaking the dog in a manner where it will ...
Training1/3/2005
  Q: We found this dog about 5 months ago and were never able to find his owner. He had a collar on but ...
  A: .unfortunately you will not like my answer to this problem. I can not help you via text. YOu need a ...
Housebreaking an older dog12/23/2004
  Q: My name is Kim. I have a Boston Terrier that just turned 1 on 12/3. I've had her for the past ten ...
  A: Kim..first of all, this is a very lengthy response that is necessary. Our housebreaking lessons ...
Jack russle terrier puppy12/20/2004
  Q: I picked up my russle puppy 3 days ago and everything is going well with him and my lab exept that ...
  A: Usually when a pup is with its mother til 8 weeks, the mother teaches the pup about mouthing and ...
aggressive dog12/12/2004
  Q: My roommate has a 2 1/2 year old female Boxer (fixed) and I have a male Dalmatian (not fixed) the ...
  A: Michelle..first of all i am sorry I did not answer this sooner. I just recieved it for some reason. ...
Unsocialized Puppy12/6/2004
  Q: I have a 7 and a half month old mini-pinshcer/chihuahua puppy named Bob. In his first 2 months of ...
  A: Jenn..i have good news and bad news. The good news is that there IS hope..this is not a huge problem ...
getting a chihuahua pup with a lab?11/26/2004
  Q: I own a 11 month old female unspayed black lab and am wanting to get a 6/8 week old female/male ...
  A: .you have many questions. I can help you with two of them, but the rest is way too involved and you ...
Picking a pup from a litter?10/28/2004
  Q: I will be getting a Jack Russel terrier as a comapntion shortly and am wondering how to tell whcih ...
  A: there is really no full proof method..but here goes the three big things...do NOT buy the biggest of ...
Will my lab get along with a smaller dog?10/27/2004
  Q: I own a female black lab and am wanting to get either a pinnicher pincher, chihuahua, dash hound, ...
  A: First of all it is not good to get another female dog. Your dog may get along with other females ...
Behavior towards Our New Baby10/7/2004
  Q: Nancy, We have a 4-1/2 month old baby. From the very first day we brought him home our dog, Marcie, ...
  A: Lauren..unfortunately, if you had asked us before the baby came, we could have tested the dog to see ...
Raised hackles and play8/11/2004
  Q: Nancy. I have a seven and a half week-old male yellow lab puppy. He's very friendly with everyone ...
  A: Darren..i would love to know at what age you got the pup...usually if a pup is kept with the mom ...
Puppy *hates* the crate...8/10/2004
  Q: As of today, I have an eight week old lab. I picked up a large plastic crate for him before I picked ...
  A: Darren. You are doing everything right. believe me..the dog will make a ton of noise and it may take ...
behavioral8/9/2004
  Q: i have 2 jack russell terriers one is 4 years old (bitch) the other is 3 years old (dog) i've had ...
  A: Craig..your dog has behavioral issues that can only be fixed by a trained professional. I would ...
Chihuahua behavior8/1/2004
  Q: My friend's chihuahua is 6 and is showing unusual behavior. She is staring at the floor, hanging her ...
  A: Kim..sounds like you may be right about the hypoglycemia..that is what it sounds like to me.your ...
House soiling6/24/2004
  Q: I have a question about my puppy Misty. She is a 2.5 month old labrador. She spends all her day ...
  A: .unfortunately, your dog may NEVER stop doing this because you are not teaching her what is wrong. ...
Puppy behavior4/27/2004
  Q: I have recently adopted a golden retriever puppy. he is 10 weeks old and has the tendency to bite ...
  A: Kara..housebreaking is a very involved process that usually takes me an hour to explain in person. ...
Female boxer4/7/2004
  Q: Good afternoon, My girlfriend and I have a female boxer, just over 3 months old. She is very good ...
  A: Chris...it is NOT a good idea to paper train or litter train a dog...the reason is because they ...
New puppy bites older dog3/16/2004
  Q: I got a golden retiever/yellow lab cross puppy a week ago. The puppy grabs my four year old ...
  A: The answer is really not a simple one. YOu need to get obedience training in home for the ...
My New Puppy3/12/2004
  Q: I just got a new puppy a week ago. He is a 9 week old Cocker Spaniel named Basil. I have a few ...
  A: Randi. Let me start with the stinky thing. It may be the food you are feeding the dog believe it or ...
House training/homecoming2/25/2004
  Q: I will be geting a golden retiever puppy in a few weeks and would like to know in advance how to ...
  A: First of all, you can not paper train and then expect the dog to learn to go outside. You have to ...
New puppy2/19/2004
  Q: I will be geting a chihuahua puppy in a month but wanted to know what would be the best brand of ...
  A: I actually recommend flint river ranch.it is voted in the top ten of good dog foods....whatever you ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Nancy Herbert

Top Expert on this page