Dogs/Questions Answered by Expert Madeline Friedman

SubjectDate Asked
Dog started growling at my kids7/6/2015
  Q: My 2 year old German Shepard recently started growling at my kids when they get near him. I think ...
  A: I'd like to respond more fully to your question. Before I do, I have a few questions for you. 1. ...
Quincy and Jackets12/3/2014
  Q: My six year old Bichon Poodle Quincy is a very vibrant character but when I put his jacket on he can ...
  A: I would like to respond to your question, but I need you to take a few moments to read my ...
aggression ( rescue dog )11/22/2014
  Q: I read your bio and ratings criteria. We recently adopted a Chug ( pug/chihuahua ) male, neutered 1 ...
  A: I don't mind your shortening my bio and rating criteria at all. In fact, I like your wording and may ...
Potty training/Housebreaking6/13/2014
  Q: We have a 10 week old puppy. We got her when she was 8 weeks. We are crate training her. She does ...
  A: I red-flagged your question as sounding very frustrated and am wondering if you're a first-time ...
Follow up5/9/2013
  Q: I got your message regarding an update on how our foster dog was doing (but there was no way that I ...
  A: :I, Jen, I am so pleased to get this update. I'm glad he's doing so well in his Forver Home and ...
house trained dog peeing in the house after being neutered.2/28/2013
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within 3 days." The dog I am ...
  A: Jen, Thanks for taking the time to peruse my bio, and for submitting your question to me. Before I ...
Dog anxiety - "velcro" behavior10/17/2012
  Q: time and attention to my dog's issue- we have had our mix breed male dog for 5 yrs and he has ...
  A: Neven, Just an update to let you know that a donation was made to Liberty Humane Society in Jersey ...
Dog afraid to go UP the deck stairs4/11/2011
  Q: I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days. About 3 weeks ago our ...
  A: You write that you "send him down the deck stairs," so I have a hint that you don't always watch him ...
Aggression1/28/2011
  Q: I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days
  A: Although the way you agreed, in two e mails, is a bit unorthodox, I understand your intention to ...
"I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days.11/5/2010
  Q: We have two female dogs. First, we got our Blue Heeler/Beagle mix as a puppy. A few months later we ...
  A: Updated second response, Saturday 6 November, 2010: Hello Again, Claire, I received your ratings ...
Wall Scratching Dilemma10/4/2010
  Q: I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days. I really need some ...
  A: I really loved your question, but admit I had some hesitation about answering it. I'm taking a leap ...
3 Year Old Shih Tzu Pooping in the House10/2/2010
  Q: "I have read your bio and will read and rate your response fairly within three days". My situation ...
  A: I appreciate your taking the time to read my bio and agreeing to read and rate my response. I'm ...
nightmares grinding teeth9/30/2010
  Q: I have read your bio and agree to rate your answer fairly within three days of your response. Rosie ...
  A: There are really two here, and I'll be happy to answer them both, so you're getting a bonus ...
dog soiling in home9/7/2010
  Q: "I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days." My question is: why ...
  A: I think the best approach would be for me to repost each segment of your submission and respond to ...
pet dogs fighting8/20/2010
  Q: "I have read your bio & will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days." Hi I have a ...
  A: and also for choosing me to direct your question to and have an opportunity to respond to it. I'm ...
Aggressive behavior in a Great Dane7/22/2010
  Q: I have read your bio %26 will read and rate your response fairly within 3 days. I adopted my ...
  A: I suspect that the honesty with which I respond to your submission will make me unpopular with you, ...
new dog/owner interaction6/15/2010
  Q: and thank you I campaigned vigourously to allow my disabled sister to get a pet,and happily she ...
  A: Great question, but I won't answer it as you did not follow the instructions in my bio (and, ...
Accidents in the house6/2/2010
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within 3 days." I have a 14 ...
  A: I hear about this "neutering/loss of housebreaking" phenomenon quite a bit after owners have spayed ...
aggressive 9 week old lab5/18/2010
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within three days. Ten days ago ...
  A: First, thanks for following the instructions in my bio after taking the time to read it. It's good ...
My dog keeps urinating in the house (dining room).4/13/2010
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within three days. Dear ...
  A: :-) As I read your question, I can pinpoint a few issues right away and have advice which may help ...
Clingy Chow2/16/2010
  Q: "I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within three days. I have a ...
  A: You don't mention the ages of your children, but they appear to be very attuned to behavioural ...
Great Dane puppy growlinge1/28/2010
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within three days I have ...
  A: 2/1/10: Hi Amanda, Thank you for your initial ratings after your question and my response, and ...
Dog stopped going up steps at home only.1/27/2010
  Q: I have read your bio. I agree to read and rate your response fairly within three days. We have a 5 ...
  A: Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I know what Wolmanized steps are, and you make an important ...
sudden behavioral change12/10/2009
  A: Follow-up revision to reponse below this paragraph: Hi Connie, Thank you for honouring our ...
Anxiety Licking11/18/2009
  Q: I have read your biography and agree to review and rate your answer fairly within three days. My two ...
  A: Much appreciated! While the subject of your question reads "Anxiety Licking", the body of your ...
i have read ur bio and will respond and rate it within 3 days.11/17/2009
  Q: Hey, the name is brayden, and i am looking at getting a dog. We have just purchased a farm (very big ...
  A: Hey Brayden, Good question! Thanks for selecting me to respond to it. A good start is to speak ...
Potty Training10/23/2009
  Q: "I have read your bio and agree to read and rate your response promptly and fairly." I have a 3 ...
  A: As I said, at this late date, it was no longer necessary to rate me. But, since you finally did, I ...
Dominant Female8/25/2009
  Q: I have a 3 year old female bull mastiff that I raised from a puppy and I have a 10 year old jack ...
  A: I found your question floating in the Question Pool. I might like to answer it, but before I do I ...
My dog Jake8/15/2009
  Q: My dog jake is a 5 year old Yellow lab. He has always enjoyed licking (only me really). He will ...
  A: I do think you've asked your question seriously, as I've seen what you're describing before and it's ...
Dogs8/1/2009
  Q: We were hoping to buy 2 male collie crosses brothers from a breeder but we were told by someone that ...
  A: I don't know who the "someone" was who told you that it's a given that two males will fight. This ...
puppy training7/31/2009
  Q: I have two puppies, one is about five months and one is about three months. They dont listen. I was ...
  A: I would suggest trying to work with each pup alone, one at a time, at first. Right now, the ...
new puppy7/30/2009
  Q: hi i have had my new puppy for two days and he is the lovely little thing and intelligent thought ...
  A: Your question landed in the Question Pool here at AllExperts, and I fished it out of there. I think ...
Dog Peeing in my bed!7/10/2009
  Q: I am a dog foster home for a local rescue group. Yesterday I picked up a 3-4 yr old Lhasa, whose ...
  A: As a fosterer for a local rescue, you're probably already aware that dogs not only can take a while ...
Eating plants7/9/2009
  Q: My Pomeranian always eats or tear the leaves off my peace lily. Why?
  A: It's difficult for me to say why your Pommie is eating leaves off your peace lily. I would suggest ...
female dog humping7/8/2009
  Q: I have a 3 1/2 year old female yorkie poo. There is a round pillow on our couch that she has been ...
  A: There may be any number of reasons why your female Yorkiepoo is "humpoing", or mounting, a pillow. ...
bitting shih tzu7/6/2009
  Q: I have three dogs in the house the shih tzu is the oldes.A weak ago the shih tzu bit my 15 month old ...
  A: In my opinion, a dog having bitten two children in the face is a very serious issue, one that ...
Rawhides6/29/2009
  Q: I have a 9 month old female black lab. She loves rawhides bones and would eat them all day if she ...
  A: You get two answered for the "price" of one! I am happy to oblige. Regarding rawhides, that's a ...
Sleeping with the enemy6/16/2009
  Q: My English Staffordshire sleeps in my daughter's room, as she snores and keeps my husband up all ...
  A: I drew your question from the Question Pool here at AllExperts. I feel your pain! It's generally ...
Escaping Dogs6/3/2009
  Q: We have three pit bull/bull mastiff crosses, 1 male, almost three, and 1 male and 1 female(speyed) ...
  A: It sounds as if I might be able to offer suggestions on a couple of items. First, I believe that ...
Dog won't signal to go out5/11/2009
  Q: Marley is the best dog ever. He is housebroken, gets lots of walks and likes to go pee and poo on ...
  A: First, I'm "hearing" that your dog DOES in fact signal to tell you he needs to go out, although he ...
Dog Jumper5/6/2009
  Q: We have a two year old rhodesian ridge back. He is a great dog with the kids and listens when we are ...
  A: Ridgebacks are strong powerful dogs and I'm not surprised that yours can jump a fence and figure out ...
How long will my dog benefit from prednisone?5/3/2009
  Q: Kismet seems to be dying. She's just shy of 14 years old, and has a recurring bladder (tcc) cancer ...
  A: Carol, Your unfair rating of me has been graciously decided to be removed by AllExperts. They ...
playing dead4/23/2009
  Q: I have a 10 month old lab who is a pleasure to train. So far I have been able to train her to come, ...
  A: Good job teaching our Lab all those tricks! A dog with as much energy as yours needs to have her ...
Pittbull Saliva4/21/2009
  Q: I was wondering if Pittbulls saliva carries any harmful bacteria to humans if it comes in to contact ...
  A: First, let me answer in part by saying that a pit bull's saliva wouldn't be any different than any ...
dog weeing !!4/7/2009
  Q: my westie is now 12 years old and about a year ago started to wee in the hallway downstairs. i now ...
  A: A 12 year of age dog that suddenly changes his urinary or bowel habits is worth having your ...
bowel movement3/25/2009
  Q: My teacup cup yorkie puppy who is 1 pound, is pooping 5 times a day, is this a problem?
  A: I'm not *really* answering this question, but answering it on the boards here so that perhaps others ...
Daschund vs Backpack3/22/2009
  Q: I have a daschund and I am aware that they often have spinal problems later on in life. I was ...
  A: Before I consider answering your question, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. :-) I'm ...
behavior3/20/2009
  Q: I have a lab and everytime he gets outside he lays on his back and kind of scoots down the yard on ...
  A: Sorry for the brief delay in responding. I had to go out of town suddenly as a family member was ...
SHIH TZU BEHAVIOR3/19/2009
  Q: To cut to the point, I have a male shih tzu (one year old), and lately for the past couple of days, ...
  A: Sorry for the slight delay in responding. I had to go out of town for a sick family member. Here, ...
My blue tick/aieradale is becoming aggressive with men3/10/2009
  Q: My Blue Tick/Airedale terrier is almost two now. She is a very loving dog, and has never showed ...
  A: This is Madeline at AllExperts. I drew your question out of the Question Pool here. Please feel ...
puppy pooping in crate2/26/2009
  Q: i have a mini dachshund and he is about 14 weeks old. when we first got him, he really didnt have ...
  A: This is Madeline at Allexperts and I drew your question out of the question pool here. Your ...
Peeing and Pooping inside2/17/2009
  Q: Nancy my neighbor got a 3yr old dog named Buddy from the pound 5-6 months ago. Her 15yr old son was ...
  A: That's really nice for you to find an expert on behalf of your neighbour. I think it would serve ...
territory marking2/10/2009
  Q: I own a three year old un-neutured male maltese cross. My brother recently moved in and he owns a ...
  A: If the urinating is in small increments, then you are probably correct in that it is marking, also ...
My Chihuahua suddenly acts scared of me & it's breaking my heart.2/4/2009
  Q: My 8 month old Chihuahua that is almost always in my arms and sticks with me like glue all of a ...
  A: I certainly understand why you would feel upset, but try not to take it personally. My suspicion is ...
Current own a dog and what to get another1/29/2009
  Q: My husband and I have a 3-year old yellow lab. He is totally mellow and loves other dogs and he ...
  A: You're smart to do research on specific breeds before you get another dog as a companion for your ...
Puppies in my Shed1/7/2009
  Q: A rott/hound (?) dog has just had puppies in my shed. I had seen her around off & on for about a ...
  A: I can only tell you what I would do and what are my thoughts. :-) Most new canine moms may be ...
my older dog is house broken but not1/3/2009
  Q: I got a 9 yr old dog from a shelter about 2 months ago. he is housebroken. when he first came he ...
  A: Congratulations on your adopting a shelter dog! First, I would ask if your dog is neutered. Most ...
dog abuse8/28/2008
  Q: I've had my dog Max for 9 months and he is now 13 months. He is such a great dog and loves to give ...
  A: I'll try to answer your question as best I can while providing some advice. In general, ...
Why does my dog get along with the older cat, but barks and growls at the kitten7/2/2008
  Q: I have a 2 year old peek a poo who gets along wonderfully with my 6 year old cat. Today we brought ...
  A: Introducing a new animal into a home with current animal residents is not generally easy, and should ...
strange behaviour7/1/2008
  Q: we have noticed lately that our female dog penny shakes her head violently after eating a mouthful ...
  A: I also thought of one more thing. Do you add any type of medication or supplements to your dog's ...
Dalmatian6/28/2008
  Q: I have a 1 year old Dalmatian male and most times when out a walk with him he shows bad aggression ...
  A: This is an instance where I know as a dog trainer it would be *very* important to see the behaviour ...
Dog Refusing to Walk6/24/2008
  Q: I have a six-year-old basset hound mix that my family adopted from a shelter about five years ago. ...
  A: As I read and think about your question, a few things come to mind. The first question I will ask ...
border collie that desnt like to play!6/23/2008
  Q: 2 months ago i took on a rescued border collie, Lebelo (which means swift) When she first came to us ...
  A: border collies! I want to commend you for doing such a great job bringing Lebelo out of her shell ...
dog eat excrement6/22/2008
  Q: my 8 year old dog is eating excrements from other dogs when i take her for a walk. it goes very ...
  A: The practice of poop eating is called coprophagy (long word for such a quick 'meal,' yes?). The ...
recent dog fight6/17/2008
  Q: two wild mutts attacked my dog on the 11th, and they pulled a lot of hair out on the top of his head ...
  A: In general, I would not answer this question because much of what you ask does not lie in my area of ...
my dog6/8/2008
  Q: I have a 10 month old pitbull and he is losing hair on his back end.We have tryed every thing ...
  A: Technically, I'm *can't* really answer this question, but opting to put it on the board so that ...
Dog Pooping/weeing on carpet6/3/2008
  Q: I have a dog bequeathed to me by an ex, who didn't house train her at all. I live in a flat with an ...
  A: Depending on the age of the dog that used to belong to your ex-, it may be very challenging, but not ...
yorkie-extremely anxious5/12/2008
  Q: i have a 2 1/2 yr. old male yorie.he is neutered.he is extremely anxious.he whines and whimpers if ...
  A: I was wondering if you could be a bit more descriptive in letting me know what your Yorkie is doing ...
Shiba Inu's snout rubbing3/22/2008
  Q: We've had our Shiba Inu (female/spayed) for 1 year and 4 months. She is 1 1/2 years old. We love ...
  A: Many dogs like to rub their snouts, faces and/or backs on furniture or rugs. I have seen dogs do ...
my male dog started peeing on my kids bed3/20/2008
  Q: the son who is now 6 has just started weeing on my 8 year old girls bed and only hers and no where ...
  A: There may be several reasons as to why your male Staff bull has starting weeing on your ...
my dog is sick3/19/2008
  Q: i have a Boston terrier puppie of 10 weeks and he has been throwing up .he has diarrhea and he ...
  A: When a puppy becomes as sick as your puppy sounds, it is quite a serious issue, as dogs, especially ...
potty training3/17/2008
  Q: im having trouble potty training my 4 month old puppy. we did the same that we did for my other dog ...
  A: It would be difficult for me to explain why you might be having challenges housetraining your pup. ...
MY MALE DOG1/21/2008
  Q: This might fall under a question you do not want to answer if so no problem just wanted to ask. My ...
  A: I'm happy to answer your question as best I can because technically you're not asking about ...
spoiled Shih Tzu1/20/2008
  Q: My dog always has been "hand-fed" since he was a baby. We always fed him Ukanuba lamb and rice dry ...
  A: What I'm not clear about in your question to me is whether you continued to try to hand feed your ...
scared dog1/19/2008
  Q: I have a 3 year old yellow lab(Maggie) that seems to be scared of everything. She was raised with a ...
  A: It's hard to tell from what you've written what Maggie is doing that makes you feel she's timid. ...
Italian Greyhounds12/27/2007
  Q: I own 2 Italian greyhounds. They are around 14 or 15 years old. I have noticed as they are getting ...
  A: Animals (including humans) can smell different as they age due to hormonal and other changes. ...
puppy12/24/2007
  Q: What are dogs favorite human treat that is healthy?
  A: I'm assuming that your question is geared towards foods that would make good treats as an addition ...
Adoption of an older Dog12/23/2007
  Q: We have a dashound 1 1/2 years old. He has been with us 5 weeks. He has ajusted well but he is ...
  A: Your dachshund has not been with you very long and may still be getting used to his surroundings and ...
Fleas on Puppies9/14/2007
  Q: I have 2 week old lab puppies and they have fleas. I was wondering if you knew how old they had to ...
  A: I would suggest you contact your vet. As far as I know, pups cannot be treated with a flea product ...
Blinds and anxiety?8/28/2007
  Q: I have a 2 year old mixed breed. She is i believe part golden and part chow. she was found as a ...
  A: It *sounds* as if your dog may have developed separation anxiety. Perhaps she had signs of mild ...
dog urinating7/24/2007
  Q: We have two Maltese dogs each will be three years old in November and december. Our problem the male ...
  A: First, I would have to ask you if the dogs are both male, and if so, are they neutered? If not, is ...
creeping...?7/21/2007
  Q: i was wondering why my 12 year old female black lab litterally creeps around bushes and plants like ...
  A: I have a few ideas about your question, but not nearly enough information (or as much as I would ...
New Puppy7/11/2007
  Q: We just recently rescued a 6 month old female black and tan hound mix. We already have a 10 month ...
  A: First, until you're sure that your two dogs will get along, you should always supervise their ...
Poop Problem7/9/2007
  Q: I have two malteese pups they are brothers and about 7 months old ,I have two problems with them the ...
  A: Sounds as if you're having some concerns about your two seven-month-of-age Maltese littermate males. ...
dominance aggression in shepherd7/8/2007
  Q: I have just adopted a rescue Dutch Shepherd, nine years old. I had her for 2 weeks, and had to go ...
  A: Regarding your Dutch Shepherd, first I want to say that it sounds as if your dog has been under ...
bad yorkie6/15/2007
  Q: my yorkie is house trianbut some times he pee pee on the bathroom floor why l alway put new pads for ...
  A: If your Yorkie is otherwise housetrained but only pees on the bathrooom floor when you leave, I'm ...
upset about his crate all of a sudden6/14/2007
  Q: I have a seven year-old dog (half Lhasa, half Maltese) who has been more or less happy to sleep in ...
  A: When there are behaviour changes that appear suddenly in dogs, I always ask people to have a ...
potty training my scared puppy6/11/2007
  Q: I have a new puppy, she's about... 3 months old. she was abused in the home before she came to my ...
  A: Before I answer some items, I would like know how long you have had your young dog, what breed she ...
new puppy6/9/2007
  Q: I have a 2 year old rottweiller, and my boyfriend just bought a 2 month old English bulldog, we have ...
  A: It _sounds_ as if Paco is simply excited by Diesel's presence, and as if this does not include any ...
dog peeing in same room in house6/1/2007
  Q: Our toy poodle is 10 years old. She is peeing in one room in the house. Whenever the door is left ...
  A: First, I would ask when your poodle's last vet check was? The reason is that there may be a medical ...
two male dogs5/1/2007
  Q: I WANT TO BUY A MALE BULLMASTIFF PUPPY. WE CURRENTLY OWN AN ADULT MALE TERRIER. DO YOU THINK THERE ...
  A: The answer to your question would be very difficult to determine without lots more information. Is ...
my puppy gets aggressive at meal times.3/28/2007
  Q: I have a 8.5 week old Golden Retriever, she's ususally very good, but recently she's been gettin ...
  A: I don't know how long you have had your Golden, but it sounds as if she could have spent a little ...
littermate fight3/24/2007
  Q: I have two boxer dogs that are littermates; they are now 11 months old. They are spayed and ...
  A: Often between dogs in the same household there will be ranking issues unless and until they work out ...
puppy teeth3/22/2007
  Q: I have a five month old Chihuahua and i came home and saw a tooth laying next to the food bowl and i ...
  A: The answer to whether your dog's tooth loss might be serious depends on whether the tooth was a ...
pet help2/26/2007
  Q: I have 2 dogs. 1. A siberian Husky purebreed 2. A mixed smaller dog Our husky had heartworms, we ...
  A: I too am familiar with how costly vet care can be for animals. However, there is a veterinary ...
Just Curious!!2/23/2007
  Q: I just had a quick question.... I have a 2 year old German Shepherd named "Sir" and he's a very ...
  A: First, congratulations on being a Mom soon! Good for you for thinking about your dog and your baby ...
snapping2/13/2007
  Q: hel be 1 yrs old on saturday 17th feb never did it before 3rd time now very worried as i av a 7 yr ...
  A: I can understand your concern. For now, first manage the situation by telling your daughter not to ...
backing up when you reach down to pet2/10/2007
  Q: Beshan/shitzo mix--one year old. Want's to come to you but when you reach down to pet her she backs ...
  A: Your Bichon-Shih Tzu mix is communicating with you as a dog, not a human. Ah, the differences in ...
Troubled Pound Puppy2/9/2007
  Q: About a week ago I brought home an 8 month old lab mix female from the pound. She had been in the ...
  A: Based on the information I have, I will try to make some suggestions for you. You wrote that your ...
female behavior2/8/2007
  Q: I have a 2 year old Yorkie/Terrier mix female that has never been bred or spayed. She has been in ...
  A: There may be any number of reasons why your unspayed female is humping your leg. First, you say that ...
help2/7/2007
  Q: hi my 7 month old labrador retriever is realy reealy boared always what can i do ??? and if i buy ...
  A: I don't know whether your dog is male or female, so I'll just refer to your dog as a 'he' to ...
8 week Lab is scared2/6/2007
  Q: We just bought an 8 week yellow lab from a good breeder. We allow him to sleep in our bed as he is ...
  A: Most dogs can be made to enjoy the crate and feel secure in it. However, your dog is in what is ...
agressive behavior2/5/2007
  Q: We adopted (strays) two litter mates-lab mixes-both female. They are approximately 8 months old. ...
  A: I am inserting a link for you which is an article on spaying and neutering: ...
help2/3/2007
  Q: hey their my chocolate lab tyson is about 7 months old and is 22 inches tall how tall will he grow ...
  A: I am sending a follow up to my non-answer. I wish to re-submit my answer to you and apologize for ...
His hair is everywere...1/27/2007
  Q: I have a Shih Tzu who is 5 years old and he sheds all the time and he has since he was little. I ...
  A: As far as I have ever known and read, Shih Tzus are typcially non-shedding dogs, double coated, with ...
a new puppy1/18/2007
  Q: I have a couple of questions. We adopted a puppy from a humane society who had told us he had been ...
  A: Typically puppies will be de-wormed several times; however, the medication given for roundworms and ...
HELP!!! we have added a new puppy!!!!1/16/2007
  Q: Please help me out i have a 13 month American English bulldog (newly neutered about a month ago) he ...
  A: What I'm going to do is copy and paste your question here, and respond to it in parts so that it ...
Puppy Potty training1/11/2007
  Q: I know this question has been asked millions of times, but I'm wondering if there's more to my ...
  A: Congrats on doing such a great job with the crate training! Since your dog likes going in the ...
dog grooming1/10/2007
  Q: I'm interested in learning to be an animal groomer. Where would you recommend I start? I have begun ...
  A: While I'm not a groomer, I can try and give you some tips from a trainer's point of view. Starting ...
Chiuaua bitch1/9/2007
  Q: We have been given a small dog to look after and it appears to be wiping its backside on the carpet ...
  A: What your Chihuahua guest is doing is called scooting. Dogs may scoot for several reasons. The ...
Dog fears1/7/2007
  Q: my dog Mitzi is afraid of the wind, especially at night when we are in bed. She paces and pants all ...
  A: It would be helpful to me to know Mitzi's age and a bit about her medical background. It appears ...
Training12/27/2006
  Q: I have a Pomeranian about 1 1/2 years of age. Generally she is pretty good, but for some reason no ...
  A: I need to start by asking if your Pommie was ever reliably housetrained for any period with NO ...
introducing a new male pup12/27/2006
  Q: I have a 8 month old male Chihuahua who has been the center of attention since day one ...... he has ...
  A: I would like to help you with your question, but I need more information. Can you describe exactly ...
Separation Anxiety12/26/2006
  Q: I have a 9 month old toy poodle who I think is depressed and has separation anxiety. He gets very ...
  A: From what you've written, I'm not convinced that your dog has separation distress or separation ...
Unpredictable agrressive behaviour in my 11 month old schnoodle12/23/2006
  Q: I have been reading some of your other answers and I have a feeling that my dog may be suffering ...
  A: It's unclear to me whether your schnoodle tries to grab your shoes that you're wearing, or a shoe ...
Jack/Rat Using Bathroom in Crate12/22/2006
  Q: We have a jack russel/rat terrier mix, female, 2 1/2 years old. We got her as a pup. She was very ...
  A: Since you say your Jack Russell/Rat Terrier X has been housetrained up until now, and the only ...
JRT in heat/scond time12/22/2006
  Q: How many days after the female goes into heat/bleeding does it take for her to be able to take ...
  A: Kat, It really disappoints me that you 'graded me down' for rendering my professional thoughts ...
sudden strange behavior12/5/2006
  Q: I have a 2 year old, neutered, full-blooded, german rottweiler named Zeus, whom I've had since he ...
  A: This appears to be perhaps several things: when you say he's oblivious when he licks the air, it ...
I need help with my 2 year old dog!12/5/2006
  Q: I have a 2 year old mini pincher that I got when he was about 1 from the shelter. He lived on a boat ...
  A: This is an adult dog that needs to go 'back to basics' for housetraining, such as tethering the dog ...
Sleeping with us12/4/2006
  Q: I have 3 female dogs Tasha - Age 6 mixed but mostly white greyhound, dominant dog. Scrappy - Age 2 ...
  A: I don't understand where there's a problem. The dog is sleeping in the bed, and that's the only ...
Beagle's coat12/3/2006
  Q: We adopted a Beagle who is 3. Over the summer he started chewing at his feet. His coat becomes oily ...
  A: It could be that you are bathing your dog too much and disrupting the natural pH of your dog's skin, ...
potty training12/2/2006
  Q: My family needs help! I purchased a boxer puppy from a client of mine at the vetrinary clinic where ...
  A: I understand your frustration and your concerns. I also applaud your rescue effort for this pup and ...
Bringing in Poop/Pee Pads11/30/2006
  Q: I have a 12 wk old black lab named "BB" and I've had her for about a month. The ultimate goal: I ...
  A: I'm trying to understand what the situation is. Is the puppy that you have kept in the garage, or ...
sick dog11/29/2006
  Q: Will driving around in a car all day and giving my puppy a new chew toy make her sick and throw up. ...
  A: I'm not sure I completely understand the question, but I will give it a try. IF you are saying that ...
aggression11/28/2006
  Q: I own a 1 yr old female Golden Retriever. She has become very aggressive, especially towards me and ...
  A: Aggression is a serious issue, particularly with a young child in the home. I understand your ...
spanking the puppy11/27/2006
  Q: I have a questions regarding spanking puppies. Please I would really like an answer that will ...
  A: I am sorry that you are made uncomfortable by your spouse spanking the dog, and you are correct that ...
Cowering11/27/2006
  Q: All my puppy does is cower when I reach down to pet him, or when I go to open his kennel door. He is ...
  A: I can't say whether there is any connection between your dog cowering and his bad breath. Are you ...
puppy11/27/2006
  Q: hey their im leaving my dog that is 6 months old at a day care for 2 months beacuse were leaving for ...
  A: Wow, I completely understand your concerns as I have to leave my own five-month-old puppy in January ...
dog arthritis11/26/2006
  Q: my dog suffers from arthritis, I beleive. what can I give to him for the pain?
  A: I'm wondering if your dog has been clinically diagnosed with an arthritis issue? If not, what leads ...
peeing on b eds11/26/2006
  Q: We have a 10 year old and 7 month old Brittany. They get along well. The seven month old will ...
  A: There may be several reasons for your Brittany to be eliminating on the beds in your home, both ...
behavior problem11/13/2006
  Q: My female dog is about 4 years old. She is a German Shepard mix, and she has had to been locked in a ...
  A: It does indeed sound as if your dog may be suffering from separation distress. One of the ...
chewing11/10/2006
  Q: I have a 6 month old lab/rotti cross. She has been tearing things apart lately. She chewed my remote ...
  A: I'm sorry about your furniture. :-( What you've got is a young Rottie/Lab X who has a need to ...
My dog doesnt stop crying!11/9/2006
  Q: I just recently got a Shih-tzu/Maltese Mix.He is 13weeks old. He was very calm when i first got him. ...
  A: You sound like you may be a first-time dog owner, so first, congratulations on your new pup! ...
13 month old puppy back-tracking on housetraining11/9/2006
  Q: I have a 13 month old mini-shnauzer / yorkie mix. He's very smart and he's been house-trained for ...
  A: Normally I would say that your dog might be experienced a change in routine. In other words, you ...
Following the leader11/9/2006
  Q: My 4 year old border collie-sheperd pound puppy will not stop following me everywhere. He is so ...
  A: I don't know the circumstances of how your dog's leg came to be broken exactly, but since you say he ...
lab puppies11/5/2006
  Q: I heard if you place 5-6 weeks old pups on their backs you can tell if they are going to be hyper by ...
  A: I use several tests or test combinations to evaluate pups for temperament. The tests that I know of ...
due date for my boxer11/3/2006
  Q: i bred my boxer my vet said breed her every other day x 4 so that is what i did from the first time ...
  A: Since your boxer was bred (for what reasons, I do not know) on advice from a veterinarian, I would ...
Behavior in just spayed female dog11/1/2006
  Q: We adopted a terrier mix female from the shelter about 6 wks. ago that was pg unbeknownest to us. We ...
  A: Since your terrier was spayed while she was pregnant, all the blood vessels that lead to her ovaries ...
Potty Training10/31/2006
  Q: I've had my miniature bulldog since he was about 2 months old and the breader says she started house ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your bulldog that are making you feel as if ...
Dog and cats can they learn to get along10/31/2006
  Q: l have just acquired an 8 month old part Husky part Chow Dog. she is very loving, however l have a 7 ...
  A: To be honest, an eight month old Husky mix with a kitten is a tough one. I don't want to say that ...

All Questions in This Category

Dogs

Madeline Friedman

Top Expert on this page