Domestic Violence/Domestic Violence

Question
My name is Brenna McCance and I am doing a paper on the causes of domestic violence.  I am in need of an interview source for my paper and I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions.

1. What do you think is the main cause of domestic violence? Explain.

2. What is your opinion on the relationship between alcohol/drug abuse and domestic violence?

Thank you for you time, it is truly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Brenna,

Thank you for contacting me! I would be happy to help a fellow student.

There are many causes of domestic violence, which often vary. Abusers and victims of domestic violence often come from broken homes where there may have been only one parent, or the parent or someone with access to the child abused them. On the other hand, there have been cases of domestic violence where the abuser and/or victim had descent childhoods with no abuse present. Every situation of domestic violence can present with various causes. Also, it takes two. While it is never a victim's fault that they are being abused, they often choose to stay within that abusive environment or do not have the resources to get help and leave the situation. I believe that most of our behavior stems from childhood. People who have unresolved issues dating back their upbringing often display behavior and choices that reflects that. Women who did not grow up with a father in the home are more prone to making bad relationship choices and men coming from a similar upbringing may be abusive, especially if they witnessed abuse as a child. From my work with victims, it all boils down to choices. When someone mistreats you in any way, that is the red flag to stand up for yourself and not tolerate that type of treatment. However, so many people have low self-esteem, so they are not capable of standing up for themselves and making better choices in people. It is also important to note that domestic violence affects people from all socioeconomic backgrounds and does not discriminate. Many victims of abusealso choose to stay with abusers because of financial and economic issues. I have encountered women who stayed with abusers because the abuser was the only or main person making money and being the provider and without the abuser's financial help, the victim felt that they would have limited or no way to eat, live and support themselves.

Alcohol and drugs often play a substantial role in domestic violence cases. Drugs and alcohol have an alarming effect on the brain and causes impairment in judgment and decision-making. Someone who is high on drugs or alcohol is more prone to abusive behavior, but some people can drink and do drugs and do not become violent; it depends on their tolerance level.

I hope that I have been able to help you with your assignment. For more information on domestic violence, you can visit www.ncadv.org and also take the time to research at your local library and from other reputable online sources. Best of luck to you! Take care.

All My Very Best,
Chardonnay Nicole Thomas
AllExperts.com
Volunteer Advisor

Domestic Violence

N/A