Domestic Violence/Should I stay married after abuse?

Question
Do you think that a relationship can be rebuilt after domestic violence? My husband of 18 years grew increasingly verbally abusive and threatening. He acted like he hated me a lot of the time. After a fight when he was drunk, he strangled me until I was unconscious. This was horrible but I want to keep my family intact and I don't want to get divorced. Do you think there is any hope that we can live together again? A concern of mine is that my husband says he is sorry but he is still mad at me because he was prosecuted and received two years of probation.

Answer
Hi Gail,

Thank you for contacting me and I apologize for the late reply. You have to decide if you are willing to forgive your husband, someone who chose to abuse you. Why would you want to go back to that? Whatever a person's excuse for abuse is, it is never okay. I understand that you may "love" your husband, but he abused you. In my experience, people like that do not change and even if they do, I wouldn't want to continue putting my life in danger waiting to find out. You have to make the ultimate decision and I can only advise you on what to do. Be grateful that you still have your life, find ways to enjoy it, and move on. Life is shorter than you think so use your time wisely. I learned a long time ago to move on and cut my losses when anyone chooses to mistreat or abuse me in any kind of way. I hope that you will somehow learn to do the same.

I wish you well in everything.

All My Very Best,
Chardonnay Nicole Thomas
AllExperts.com
Volunteer Advisor

Domestic Violence

N/A