Domestic Violence/Tired


Is this a situation I need to get away from and how? I am 24 and live with my mom who is disabled. In 2014 she physically assulted me while on the drug valium. Ahe says that she is sorry and it was the pills failt. However, i feel emotionally abused. I go to school and work but canot afford to live alone. Here are some problems I have. First, i am for some reason still angry about the incidents with the pills. Sometimes when she is angry she says she is going to hurt me but hasnt, however since the incident i fear she will. When she is in pain she takes it out on me yells and is in general rude and tells me that i am lazy, just trying to make her feel bad,vand other things. Also, i too have health issues but cant afford a dr. She tells me i am too sensetive and that its all in my head. I am tired of it all. What should i do?

Dear Ashtyn,
Thank you for your question.  It sounds like you have a tough situation with your mom and there aren't too many suitable answers other than improving her situation or you moving.

In regard to you moving out, that would be the most simple issue to deal with.  Perhaps you can find a couple of roommates and a suitable apartment.  That way you have some people to share cost of living with.

With regard to your mother, you can make an appointment with her doctor and discuss the issues as they may be medication related.  The doctor may be able to give you reasonable explanations with regard to her behavior that can allow you to let the incident with the pills be forgiven.  S/He may also be unaware of what is going on with your mom since her perspective may be somewhat different from yours.

Other than that, making an appointment with a counselor so that you and your mother can speak with an unbiased third party can also be helpful.  

If your mother is able to receive home health, having someone else come in to help her with her issues can also take you out of the line of fire.  Perhaps another family member could assist with that, or even stand in as a mediator between the two of you.

The two of you need some assistance in dealing with your relationship so I hope that one of the options I have given you will be a good source of information and healing.

Thank you for contacting me and I truly wish you well as you go forward.  If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Domestic Violence

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Kriss Mitchell, M.Ed, CRC, CNHP


I am able to answer questions with regard to problems that result from emotional abuse or physical abuse in both dating and marriage relationships. Having been in an abusive relationship for many years, I know first hand the feelings, the questions and the doubts we go through as we try to make decisions about our lives. Often victims of abuse have deep faith based concerns regarding staying in these kinds of relationships which I am able to address as well.


My background started as a victim of an emotionally abusive relationship as well as having family members who were victims of violence and physical abuse. I have gone on to become a professional counselor and I work with abused women.

American Mental Health Counselors Association, American Association of Christian Counselors, International Association of Prayer Counselors

I currently maintain a blog at I also have links and currently written articles on my website at You can also follow me on TWITTER @livingwellcc, or on facebook at Living Well Counseling and Consulting. My writings have appeared in The Good News Northwest and the North Idaho Business Journal

Licensed Professional Counselor, Board Certified Professional Christian Counselor, Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, Certified Natural Health Professional

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]