Doors, The (Jim Morrison)/"The Doors" M/NM Record w/ Pressing Error

Question
I've got a copy of "The Doors" Gold Record Award album that I bought new, years ago.  When I put it on the turntable to play side one - it started to play "Roadhouse Blues," then "Waiting for the Sun."  When I checked the label, the label looked absolutely correct - for "The Doors" side 1. But side 1 had actually been pressed with Morrison Hotel, side 1.  When I played side 2, the music and label were correct for "The Doors" side 2. (I've only heard of something like this one other time, in a Beatles album, I think.)  Anyway, the cover and vinyl are basically mint, partially played ONCE.

Any idea what kind of value I could put on this album?  I've seen some very high prices on albums with errors that were pretty doggoned minor, compared to this. -- Thanks for your help. --

Answer
I would direct this question to professor Scott Graves of North Carolina who is an expert on such matters you can contact him at:
scott graves (darkryders@juno.com)

Hey--

Yep, Al would be aware I have run across things like this from working in distribution and having some experience in the collector's market, so I'll try to steer you right.

What you have is a pressing plant error-- as large orders for vinyl came in from labels back in the day, the plant might have several "runs" of different LPs by the same artist that ran through the production lines, with human error resulting in a misprint of  incorrect sides pressed together.  When it was caught, this entailed stopping production and swapping out the metal "stamper" that imprints the vinyl.  Multiple stampers and multiple pressing plants were used for large orders, increasing the possibility of occasional screw ups-- in this case one side of the press had The Doors stamper and the other had  Morrison Hotel.  I've only seen a few examples or these errors, because very few slip through-- the rest are recycled.  I have actually seen one like you have-- so it's pretty rare to have a copy that got past quality control. Back in the 80s there was a case of a large pressing run that got past a plant with 2 different artists on each side that involved the place I was working having to ship several pallets back to the main distributor-- delaying the release of a major artist's album, (I have a vague memory that it might have been a Bowie LP) so it can be a big deal in retail merchandising.

As far collector's price it's a buyer's market with these, so for selling it you might do best with an auction with a minimum reserve bid.  If the reserve-- being the minimum you'll take that is unknown to the bidder is not met, no loss to you.  If you get a few people who go to war over it, the price could go anywhere.

The main issue here is that it is only worth what the interested party is willing to pay for what is mainly just a conversation piece.  It does not have the value of, say, a misprinted coin that is never supposed to happen and get through the US Mint, nor would it have the value of a rare album cover like the Beatles "butcher" cover.  It's pretty much the equivalent of a misprint, only on an industrial level, and the kind of thing a consumer would return for a refund.  The fact to consider is that it has no greater significance than being an oddity in this manner-- nothing related to the artist or having a "back story" to give it "provenance".

I can't be perfect with my recall on this item, but it seems the copy of The Doors with Morrison Hotel on the A side and the correct flipside sold in the mid-eighties for about 12- 15 bucks in the used record shop I worked at the time, meaning we probably gave the guy who sold it to us 4-5 dollars or 10 bucks in store credit.  Someone might go 20 to 50 dollars these days, but I must say honestly I think it is a buyer's call on what he or she is willing to pay-- no one ever seems to put an objective value on these, for the reasons I laid out.  If it was mine, I'd try a 40 buck minimum reserve auction on ebay or something-- though I'd probably just keep it for the novelty of it-- but of course I'd be repeating what I just told you every time I played it for somebody-- lol.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do!

Cheers--

SG

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Jerry Healey" <jjhealey01@gmail.com>
To: "'scott graves'" <darkryders@juno.com>
Subject: Question about mispressed record album "The Doors."
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:46:48 -0700

Scott,
Hi – I was referred to you by Alan Graham at allexperts.com.  He said you’d be the guy to answer my question, so here goes:

I've got a copy of "The Doors" Gold Record Award album that I bought new, years ago.  When I put it on the turntable to play side one, it started to play "Roadhouse Blues," then "Waiting for the Sun."  Not right...  When I checked the label, the label looked absolutely correct - for "The Doors," side 1. But side 1 had actually been pressed with “Morrison Hotel,” side 1.  When I played side 2, the music and label were correct for "The Doors," side 2. (I've only heard of something like this one other time, in a Beatles album, I think.)  Anyway, the cover and vinyl are basically mint, partially played ONCE.

Any idea what kind of value I could put on this album?  I've seen some very high prices on albums with errors that were pretty doggone minor compared to this, so I was just interested to hear what you thought.

Thanks for your help!
Jerry Healey

Doors, The (Jim Morrison)

Alan graham