Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/Re: Differences

Question
QUESTION: Elgin,
I don't want to take too much of your time so I will be quick.
Have you ever been asked by the transit authorities to stop what your doing on a subway car? If so how did your respond and did it solve the situation so that you could continue?
What is the difference b/w a Political Caricature and what you do with a regular caricature?
Is there such a thing as an 'offensive' caricature and if so how do you stay away from doing that? For instance an obvious one to anybody would be to draw someone disabled. But are there subtle things that you avoid?
Cheers
A.

ANSWER:  don't want to take too much of your time so I will be quick. 

Don't worry about taking up my time! I'm delighted to answer your question!

I've never been asked to stop drawing by a transit official or officer, because to do so would be akin to asking a commuter to stop listening to their MP3 player, or desist from reading their newspaper, or writing in a notebook.  What I do in drawing passengers is a private activity, done in a public setting. I really don't draw attention to myself(pun un intended) in the way of making a public spectacle.there are occasions where I've caught peoples attention, and in those cases I've been able to diffuse the situation to the point that it becomes a pleasant experience for all involved.

The authorities can stop you once you become a public nuisance  and a treat to the well being of other passengers. You also can be apprehended for defacing city property (like tagging graffiti)  

I always encrypt to be as social as possible so that I'm not hindered in what I'm doing. While not everyone feels comfortable with this, the vast majority are delighted to experience a change of pace in what is normally a dull ride. Few people have seen art created right before their eyes and are fascinated to see it done.

On another note, I'm also sooooooo quick that by the time a erosion realizes that im drawing them...I've ALREADY completed it! LOL!

What is the difference b/w a Political Caricature and when you do with a regular caricature?

By regular caricature I'm assuming you mean a party caricature or gift caricature?  Party caricature is typically done in  2-5 minutes. I capture the essence of the subject using a minimalistic style oftentimes because of the time factor.I usually don't draw bodies when I do party caricature, just head and shoulders, and usually in black and white.  
   Gift caricature is a little more detailed than party caricature, is in color, and has a body. In gift caricature, I'm usually depicting the person engaged in a particular hobby like race car driving, or bass fishing, so these other elements are involved. Gift caricature requires that you be able to draw different props, like boats, cars etc. This requires research, as people are very specific about their activities feeling that it is an extent ion of their personality.

In Political caricature it's equally important to be able to draw likenesses and bodies equally well. Typically in cartoony style. I love political caricature because you can let the cartoonist in you loose. It's not even necessary to choose "the right" point of view, you just need to have a point if view and express it visually.

Offensive is a relative thing. I once drew a drop dead gorgeous woman almost photorealistically and she claimed I drew her looking like a witch.  I drew another woman who had teeth like the horse, "Mr.Ed", and two eyes that went in separate directions, and she thought she looked beautiful.
After a few years you can read people to a point and pretty much see what they're going to react to. I try to make people look as beautiful as possible even when drawing humorously. That's because I draw their personality, not just how they look objectively. This takes a long time to learn, but once you do, you'll never forget it.

.

QUESTION: What does 'I always encrypt to be as social as possible.....' mean? And how do you do it?

Have you drawn any political caricatures and if so can you provide me with a link(s) so I can see the newspaper(s) it has appeared? I didn't see any political caricatures on your site.

There must be a few things that you don't touch when it comes to doing caricatures. What are they and why?

Thanks again for your time.

A

Answer
While I don't mind answering your questions, these sound like interview questions which may appear somewhere else beyond this site. I could be wrong, but given my inquisitive nature, TGE thought occured to me especially since you're back with some follwup questions.  If ths is the case,, will you let me know where else these answers are appearing?

having said that, on to your questions.....
YOU WROTE

The following political caricatures were drawn for The Wave Newspaper concerning the papers reporting on a story by Queens Congressman Greg Meeks. Congressman Meeks was unhappy with my depiction of him and his colleague, Sen Malcolm Smith, charging that the toons were decisive and racist in nature. I disagreed, and in my defense, compiled on my blog a series of caricatures where politicians of other races got "equal treatment" in terms of being drawn exaggerated. 

http://subwaysurfer.blogspot.com/2011/10/examples-of-caucasian-politicians-drawn
http://subwaysurfer.blogspot.com/2011/10/examples-of-african-american-wave.html

http://subwaysurfer.blogspot.com/2011/10/examples-of-wave-cartoons-featuring.htm

http://subwaysurfer.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post_18.html

YOU WROTE
 What does 'I always try  to be as social as possible.....' mean? And how do you do it?

Being Social, just means treating people with dignity and having  courtesy. as my mom used to say, "I try to act like I've had some home training".

It means when people inquire what I'm doing, I tell them. I show them. My response to them is not combative. I try not to say anything that puts them on the defense.I try to see things from the other persons point of view. I realize most people may feel being drawn is an invasion of their privacy. I understand how uncomfortable they may feel being not only being observed by a stranger for a given period of time, but recorded as well! (recorded in the sense of having their image put on paper) 

I didn't invent drawing people on the train, lots of artists do it, but not all have ths same attitude of civility. Some feel it is "their right" to do this, caring little for how a person might feel and offering no word of explanation if caught in the act.  While I try to be as incognito as possible, if caught, I try to make friends and draw the person into conversation. As a result,it creates a positive atmosphere for  drawing, and has resulted in more than a few thought provoking conversations!

YOU WROTE

When it comes to funny faces, I really don't discriminate. I just draw. 

I try to stay away from work that depicts violence, other than the usual "slapstick" kind of violence associated with cartoons and comedy. I'm in my fifties and to an extent, influenced by cartoons and comedians from the 50's and 60's were accented with a little over the top mayhem(just check out any Tom and Jerry cartoon, or Abott and Costello routine and you'll know what I mean)  I don't do racist jokes (though I've been accused!) and try to stay away from stuff that can be interpreted as pornographic.

As a flawed human being, I'm sure than in spite of my efforts, I've propanly unintentionally crossed the line and isolated someone but I really do try not to. 

I generally don't enjoy confrontation.  I find that few people are truly willing to listen, and what passes fr conversation often morons into a shouting match as each side tres to be heard. I'm always interested in dialogue because as corny as it sounds people really are fascinating. Were like God Almighty's animated cartoons! And I want to draw them all

Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning

Elgin Bolling