Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/calligraphy brush size

I am a beginner in calligraphy. Can I use a small brush or is medium better? I use a medium and can only make a few strokes on each page of my notebook. Can I use a smaller brush so I can do more repetitions?
Thank you!

There are 3 basic brush sizes: small, medium, and large. Small one are used for fine lines and small characters such as signatures. Medium ones are the most commonly used for practice. You can do both fine lines and bold strokes with these as well as brush decent size characters in a 12 inch wide paper. Large ones are used for big and bold characters. And there are also extra large ones for when you're feeling creative.

I would recommend, if possible, all 3 otherwise the small and medium could start you off.

Mei Chen

Mei Chen Fang

I am happy to answer questions related to the art of Chinese or Japanese calligraphy including brush art, signature stone carvings and silk scroll wall hangings

Silk Road Enterprises owner, Fang Mei Chen, has been in business since 2002 and over the years has been commissioned to create over 1,200 one of a kind custom art pieces for individuals and businesses around the world. We have published over 30 articles related to history and art of Asian Calligraphy.

Eastern Liaoning University ( ELU) Mainland China