Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/Drawing and Painting.

Dear Cougar

Do you feel that a person Who is good in drawing will be always a good painter and vice versa?.

Do you feel that a person Who is good in drawing will not be necessary good in painting and vice versa

Thanks & regards
Prashant s akerkar

Dear Mr. Akerkar,
What an interesting question...and a good one.

Ok, when I taught art, I always told my students that 'talent' is a loaded word,
for so many artists or writers base their work off the fact that they need talent to draw
or paint or write.

And because of this word, so many good artists quit before they start because they feel that they
just don't have the 'talent' to draw.

To me "Talent" is your WANT to do what you love. I always told my potential students
that I can not teach one if their heart isn't fully into it.

One has to WANT to learn, WANT to
live, eat, breath, art. WANT and understand that in any endeavor you so choose, you have to do it with passion that
requires blood, sweat, and tears so to speak. And most of all not to give up because you think your work
is a pile of trash.

Drawing vs painting is, to me, a hand to hand enterprise. Basically because when you learn the
rules and basics of DRAWING-which has to do a lot with perspective anatomy, and understanding how to look
at a subject. One can then go into painting.

Unfortunately, I've seen too much of the "RUSH RUSH RUSH" aspect of art, teachers let their students paint
first before they know how to draw. They put the cart before the horse so to speak. And then when this happens the
painting comes out flat, and dull, and the colors are all off, and most of the time perspective is completely missing
thus, the student sees this and thinks, "Well, I guess I stink!"

This is deadly! For again, which I can not reiterate strongly enough, that one needs to understand DRAWING first.  

Once you have the perspective 'rules' down on your DRAWING, and anatomy of the subject, then you need to step into shading with black and white, so you can learn with tint's and tones of the grays, whites and blacks and how to control this step. Learn how the light works on your subject and how to control these shades because of what the light does! and WHY!

Once you learn that step, then one should go into COLORED PENCILS, for that medium is a forgiving medium and you
can get your tints tones etc, with a medium you can erase if you have to.

Then once you master that, go into colored inks, which should give you the steps you need for other liquid mediums
such as watercolor, acrylic, oil, etc.

Copying a subject is fine and dandy, but if you don't understand the surface planes of the subject then
understanding how the light hits on the subject is going to be difficult. and most of the time the picture comes out flat.

There are many 'artists' that do a good job, but If I asked them, "Ok, do you really UNDERSTAND why the light hits
on this point or that point?

I truly believe that one can be a good painter ONCE you understand how to draw. and the rules of drawing. One can not
be a good painter until you understand the foundation of your drawing. It's like building a house without the
wooden structure. The house will collapse without a good 'skeleton."

One other thing...EVERYONE has a style, and your style is unique to you. You can learn from other styles and painters
that you admire, but try as you will, your drawing WILL NOT look exactly like theirs. It's like your handwriting, you
have a distinct handwriting style, and no one else even an expert will be able to get the small nuances of your handwriting
it's the same with your art. So do not be discouraged if you like a style and try and learn it, but it just doesn't
come out the same. It's a trap so many of us have fallen into, thus, comes discouragement, and possible, "I give

Just remember, you have to follow the steps of art first..which is, Drawing, and learning the basics and rules of drawing,
then shading with black and white, then color pencils, because you can control these colors and learn to blend them
to where they look like what you are seeing, because you have the education of the principals of drawing behind you

then go into colored inks, then have a ball and experiment with the liquids.

I also when I teach I teach realistically first, so you can get the real perspective, and anatomy of the subject
before you try and twist and turn them into something you think is fun. It's like learning how to play a concert
piece and understanding the notes of music before you play jazz. Art is no different.

Thank you for your question, I hope that I have answered it to your satisfaction.
Sequoia Cougar

Sequoia Cougar

I am a well rounded artist with many years of experience, and I feel I can answer with detail and accuracy most any question that might be asked that pertains to all types of art. I can not answer to the fullest about oil painting, because I don't oil paint. But I do know the material and what is a good oil paint, and the types of brushes to use as well as types of canvas. I am very capable of answering just about any questions relating to strip, gag, and illustration cartooning, scripting for graphic novels and comic books, (but I admit that I can not draw the 'action figure,' as they do now, but I know what is correct, and what isn't in human and animal anatomy. I can teach correct and dynamic perspective, action, " emotional feeling," and can get the student that has the comic book artistic flair to improve their stories and drawing where they can tell an energetic story. My genre is in cartooning and realistic drawing. But I also can teach perspective in such a way to where the student can quickly pick up this difficult subject. (This is a subject I know a comic book student must have.) Shading, coloring, with most any art media. I know where to buy art supplies, how these art materials work because of my experience selling these products what kind art supplies such as paper, paint, ink, colored pencils, and graphite pencils that the artist will need for their craft.

QUALIFICATIONS- I have over 30 years of experience in all facets of art, including, Illustration, Cartooning, Clay and Ceramics, Graphic Art, Fine Art, directing art projects for students and clients. I have an wide amount of knowledge in this field, which includes, an extensive knowledge of art materials,selling and buying art materials, consulting customers on the proper use of their art materials. Printing, layout, and Illustrative techniques. I can work on both the PC and Mac (Mac is not my preference) I have completed many Graphic Design projects for my customers, a few of which are, Realtors, Doctors, Hairdressers, Veterinarians I am in the process of publishing a book on Perspective which required working with Word 95, 98 2000. Other programs that I have worked with are: Works, Print Shop 5, 10, some in Corel Draw, Painter 3-D, Photo Shop 5.5, Illustrator 8.0, Page Maker , Quark XPress and Grafix. And am currently trying to learn Dreamweaver and Fireworks for Web design. For over 11 years I had been teaching art.at my own shop called “Graphic Cat School of Art.” I had taught for over two years at Tualatin Recreational Center.. I also have taught at the Oregon school for troubled children Currently I am a retired Correctional Officer at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, which in my spare tine I had taught art to the female inmates. I am currently am under a new business name of, “Cartoon Cougar Studio.” Under this name I am teaching online art classes and comic book script writing. I am also teaching art lessons out of my home.

I have had no time to join any organizations. I was a member of COW (Cartoonist of Oregon) in 2000...

I did gag cartoons for Leatherneck magazine from 1990- 2005 The ARC newspaper (before it went out of business. 1990) I did a strip called "The adventures of the Pump House gang." which was I was asked to do a cartoon strip with disabled characters.

1989- 2000 - Graphic Cat School of Illustration and Cartooning. Owner and manager of own my own business. 1997-2000- Tualatin Hills Conestoga Rec. & Aquatic Center Part-time. EDUCATION: 1965-1967 American Academy of Art Chicago, Ill 1983- 1984- Associates in Arts and Science- Clark College, Vancouver, Wash. 1984 –1985 -Associate in Applied Science in Graphic Design- Clark College, Vancouver, Washington 1999-2000- New Horizons, Mac training in Page Maker and PhotoShop- Portland, Oregon 2001- to 2002- Portland Community College- Psychology, and typing

Have won first prize in the COW cartooning gag illustration. Received the Edda McCormick art scholarship at Clark College in 1984.

Have illustrated for a private client, promoting cat characters (the main character was a blue harmonica playing jazz cat called "Bluzkat." for harmonica seminars that has been done in New Orleans. and Oregon. (Now, put on hold) Have scripted and drawn a few ideas for characters for a comic book series called "Vampeer" (now not being published.) I have also drawn children's illustrations for clients that want to self publish their own work. These were drawings that were commissioned, and thus, given to them of which they did what they liked with them. I have gone to many fairs and street art and have done caricatures of both animals and people. When I had my shop I did many logos for clients that ranged from hair dressers, to Doctors, to contractors, and drew for real estate clients. I worked on the Clark College newspaper and did illustrations for them. At the present, I am not working for anyone, but trying to promote my own books, and teaching, as well as doing wood projects for bazaars and art shows.