Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/Help generating simple creative sketch ideas?

I was wondering if you might be so kind as to help me. I included a picture of some architecture above a bridge I absolutely love and that holds a lot of meaning to me, but am struggling trying to generate ideas. I'd like to somehow incorporate the curves and lines of the architecture into a triangular shape, and was wondering if you could at all help me with that! Thank you so very much!

Hi Kaitlin,

There is only one way for an artist to generate ideas, and that is to sit down and work on sketches.  Images on the Internet can be helpful in spurring your imagination. You can look at pictures of other gothic designs- everything from paintings to jewelry, these can jumpstart the design process.  Just be aware of copyright restrictions and don't "copy",  use the reference to base your ideas upon and use your creativity to make the design your own.

It may take days, or longer to get things the way you'd like them to be, but there aren't any shortcuts. That's why it's called "artwork", it's not a game.

Good luck with your assignment.

Please don't ask me about identifying artists of art you might own, or about appraising art you own! You need to have an art appraiser look at your art. I've worked professionally as an illustrator for over 25 years. I've illustrated numerous children's books, classroom games, textbook/workbooks, posters and educational materials. I've also designed extensively for silk screen production. My designs have been printed primarily for the children's retail market, in stores as diverse as Bloomingdales to Montgomery Ward. Publications my work has appeared in such noteworthy publications as Highlights for Children, Scholastic Magazine, and the New York Times. Publishers I have worked with include McGraw Hill, North Atlantic Books, Hachai Publishing and MacMillan UK to name a few

I'd be happy to answer questions regarding illustration, technique, materials, offer tips or questions about art in general.I will not answer questions about art appraisal. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

BFA in Illustration