Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/Re: a charcoal piece of art

Hi. I bought this piece of art from an auction. I have a feeling it is unique and great quality, but since I can not even properly identify the genre, I can surely be wrong. The artist's name seems to be DeBells? I could not find any info about it. Is there any information you can give me about it? Thank you very much for your time.

I went on line myself to see if I could find a "DeBells" and I am afraid I hit
an out on this one.

Unless I see the picture, I can't really help you to identify the medium that
has been used... also I need as I think you would too, a full name in order to get
more info on your purchase.

start with if you can see how old the picture is, then see if you can look at an artist registry for that period of time...also if you can tell what type of genre this picture is..IE, meaning is it "Art Nouveau? or impressionistic? or realistic? or abstract? etc...see if you can narrow your search down with this information?

You might take to an antique dealer...or go on to "Antique Roadshow" and mayhap they can help you.

I am sorry I can not help you on this one...I hope that you can find someone who can.

Good Luck!

Sequoia Cougar  

Sequoia Cougar

I am a well rounded artist with many years of experience, and I feel I can answer with detail and accuracy most any question that might be asked that pertains to all types of art. I can not answer to the fullest about oil painting, because I don't oil paint. But I do know the material and what is a good oil paint, and the types of brushes to use as well as types of canvas. I am very capable of answering just about any questions relating to strip, gag, and illustration cartooning, scripting for graphic novels and comic books, (but I admit that I can not draw the 'action figure,' as they do now, but I know what is correct, and what isn't in human and animal anatomy. I can teach correct and dynamic perspective, action, " emotional feeling," and can get the student that has the comic book artistic flair to improve their stories and drawing where they can tell an energetic story. My genre is in cartooning and realistic drawing. But I also can teach perspective in such a way to where the student can quickly pick up this difficult subject. (This is a subject I know a comic book student must have.) Shading, coloring, with most any art media. I know where to buy art supplies, how these art materials work because of my experience selling these products what kind art supplies such as paper, paint, ink, colored pencils, and graphite pencils that the artist will need for their craft.

QUALIFICATIONS- I have over 30 years of experience in all facets of art, including, Illustration, Cartooning, Clay and Ceramics, Graphic Art, Fine Art, directing art projects for students and clients. I have an wide amount of knowledge in this field, which includes, an extensive knowledge of art materials,selling and buying art materials, consulting customers on the proper use of their art materials. Printing, layout, and Illustrative techniques. I can work on both the PC and Mac (Mac is not my preference) I have completed many Graphic Design projects for my customers, a few of which are, Realtors, Doctors, Hairdressers, Veterinarians I am in the process of publishing a book on Perspective which required working with Word 95, 98 2000. Other programs that I have worked with are: Works, Print Shop 5, 10, some in Corel Draw, Painter 3-D, Photo Shop 5.5, Illustrator 8.0, Page Maker , Quark XPress and Grafix. And am currently trying to learn Dreamweaver and Fireworks for Web design. For over 11 years I had been teaching my own shop called “Graphic Cat School of Art.” I had taught for over two years at Tualatin Recreational Center.. I also have taught at the Oregon school for troubled children Currently I am a retired Correctional Officer at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, which in my spare tine I had taught art to the female inmates. I am currently am under a new business name of, “Cartoon Cougar Studio.” Under this name I am teaching online art classes and comic book script writing. I am also teaching art lessons out of my home.

I have had no time to join any organizations. I was a member of COW (Cartoonist of Oregon) in 2000...

I did gag cartoons for Leatherneck magazine from 1990- 2005 The ARC newspaper (before it went out of business. 1990) I did a strip called "The adventures of the Pump House gang." which was I was asked to do a cartoon strip with disabled characters.

1989- 2000 - Graphic Cat School of Illustration and Cartooning. Owner and manager of own my own business. 1997-2000- Tualatin Hills Conestoga Rec. & Aquatic Center Part-time. EDUCATION: 1965-1967 American Academy of Art Chicago, Ill 1983- 1984- Associates in Arts and Science- Clark College, Vancouver, Wash. 1984 –1985 -Associate in Applied Science in Graphic Design- Clark College, Vancouver, Washington 1999-2000- New Horizons, Mac training in Page Maker and PhotoShop- Portland, Oregon 2001- to 2002- Portland Community College- Psychology, and typing

Have won first prize in the COW cartooning gag illustration. Received the Edda McCormick art scholarship at Clark College in 1984.

Have illustrated for a private client, promoting cat characters (the main character was a blue harmonica playing jazz cat called "Bluzkat." for harmonica seminars that has been done in New Orleans. and Oregon. (Now, put on hold) Have scripted and drawn a few ideas for characters for a comic book series called "Vampeer" (now not being published.) I have also drawn children's illustrations for clients that want to self publish their own work. These were drawings that were commissioned, and thus, given to them of which they did what they liked with them. I have gone to many fairs and street art and have done caricatures of both animals and people. When I had my shop I did many logos for clients that ranged from hair dressers, to Doctors, to contractors, and drew for real estate clients. I worked on the Clark College newspaper and did illustrations for them. At the present, I am not working for anyone, but trying to promote my own books, and teaching, as well as doing wood projects for bazaars and art shows.