Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/Charcoal fixative substitute

Hello, can you please give me advice on what I can use as a Fixative for my charcoal drawing? It's in my sketchbook and I dont want my other page to get smudged with charcoal prints and I don't want to use hairspray. Can I use clear nail polish instead or what other recommendations do you offer? Thank you

spray workable fixative
spray workable fixativ  
Thank you for your is my answer for you:

.Hairspray is not a good idea because it could turn
your page yellow and it really doesn't do that good a job.(now of course the hairspray of today might have a different chemical in it whereas 10 years ago it is a bad idea to use this..I still don't trust it.

Now, any art store sells fixative for charcoal, pencil, pastel drawings. You can go on line and check
out any art store..."Cheap Joe's' is a good one, or Bllcks, or even Walmart. The spray can usually runs about 6 or 7 dollars. and it comes usually in a 11 oz spray can.

There are several brands, Grumbacher, Krylon, Winsor Newton, Prismacolor, etc... they all are very good. I usally go for the Krylon...
When you spray this stuff on, hold the can about 6 or 7 inches above the drawing and give if a light spray. then when that dries do it again...Unfortunately you will need to do probably several 'layers' of spray in order to make sure it's well doused with the fixative. By doing this, you will ensure that you are not 'glopping' the spray in patches which could wrinkle the paper (of course this depends on the paper) but, there will be instructions on the can on how to use this.

Now, this is where the problem comes in...there are several types of fixative...matte, (matte will dull your picture and will not give you any shiny spots, where as gloss will) gloss, workable.( the workable is used to spray on to keep the picture from smearing while you are working on it, but you can erase mistakes..the 'final' is what it says, that is where once you put that stuff on, there is no going back.

Now, I have found, to be honest, that even with the "final' fixative the charcoal does smear a spot. what you might want to do is get some wax paper and put it in between your sheets to help preserve the piece and keep the back of the other page from getting 'icky'...(I don't like that because then that in turn gets the white on your picture- gray...this is just as a protection.

Hopes this helps here is the link for Blicks art store you can order the things there also, but if you have an art store in your area, just pop in there and ask for these items...

below are some names of fixatives you might be interested in...

‎Blick Matte Fixative -
‎Krylon #1306 Workable Matte ... -
‎Grumbacher Final Fixative

Blick Matte Fixative
Blue Label Reworkable Fixatif
Grumbacher Workable Fixative
Krylon #1306 Workable Matte Fixative
Prismacolor Myston Workable Fixative
SpectraFix Spray Fixative
Winsor & Newton Artists' Fixative
Workable Fixatives allow you to continue your work

Good luck, and have fun in your endeavors...sincerely,
Sequoia Cougar

Sequoia Cougar

I am a well rounded artist with many years of experience, and I feel I can answer with detail and accuracy most any question that might be asked that pertains to all types of art. I can not answer to the fullest about oil painting, because I don't oil paint. But I do know the material and what is a good oil paint, and the types of brushes to use as well as types of canvas. I am very capable of answering just about any questions relating to strip, gag, and illustration cartooning, scripting for graphic novels and comic books, (but I admit that I can not draw the 'action figure,' as they do now, but I know what is correct, and what isn't in human and animal anatomy. I can teach correct and dynamic perspective, action, " emotional feeling," and can get the student that has the comic book artistic flair to improve their stories and drawing where they can tell an energetic story. My genre is in cartooning and realistic drawing. But I also can teach perspective in such a way to where the student can quickly pick up this difficult subject. (This is a subject I know a comic book student must have.) Shading, coloring, with most any art media. I know where to buy art supplies, how these art materials work because of my experience selling these products what kind art supplies such as paper, paint, ink, colored pencils, and graphite pencils that the artist will need for their craft.

QUALIFICATIONS- I have over 30 years of experience in all facets of art, including, Illustration, Cartooning, Clay and Ceramics, Graphic Art, Fine Art, directing art projects for students and clients. I have an wide amount of knowledge in this field, which includes, an extensive knowledge of art materials,selling and buying art materials, consulting customers on the proper use of their art materials. Printing, layout, and Illustrative techniques. I can work on both the PC and Mac (Mac is not my preference) I have completed many Graphic Design projects for my customers, a few of which are, Realtors, Doctors, Hairdressers, Veterinarians I am in the process of publishing a book on Perspective which required working with Word 95, 98 2000. Other programs that I have worked with are: Works, Print Shop 5, 10, some in Corel Draw, Painter 3-D, Photo Shop 5.5, Illustrator 8.0, Page Maker , Quark XPress and Grafix. And am currently trying to learn Dreamweaver and Fireworks for Web design. For over 11 years I had been teaching my own shop called “Graphic Cat School of Art.” I had taught for over two years at Tualatin Recreational Center.. I also have taught at the Oregon school for troubled children Currently I am a retired Correctional Officer at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, which in my spare tine I had taught art to the female inmates. I am currently am under a new business name of, “Cartoon Cougar Studio.” Under this name I am teaching online art classes and comic book script writing. I am also teaching art lessons out of my home.

I have had no time to join any organizations. I was a member of COW (Cartoonist of Oregon) in 2000...

I did gag cartoons for Leatherneck magazine from 1990- 2005 The ARC newspaper (before it went out of business. 1990) I did a strip called "The adventures of the Pump House gang." which was I was asked to do a cartoon strip with disabled characters.

1989- 2000 - Graphic Cat School of Illustration and Cartooning. Owner and manager of own my own business. 1997-2000- Tualatin Hills Conestoga Rec. & Aquatic Center Part-time. EDUCATION: 1965-1967 American Academy of Art Chicago, Ill 1983- 1984- Associates in Arts and Science- Clark College, Vancouver, Wash. 1984 –1985 -Associate in Applied Science in Graphic Design- Clark College, Vancouver, Washington 1999-2000- New Horizons, Mac training in Page Maker and PhotoShop- Portland, Oregon 2001- to 2002- Portland Community College- Psychology, and typing

Have won first prize in the COW cartooning gag illustration. Received the Edda McCormick art scholarship at Clark College in 1984.

Have illustrated for a private client, promoting cat characters (the main character was a blue harmonica playing jazz cat called "Bluzkat." for harmonica seminars that has been done in New Orleans. and Oregon. (Now, put on hold) Have scripted and drawn a few ideas for characters for a comic book series called "Vampeer" (now not being published.) I have also drawn children's illustrations for clients that want to self publish their own work. These were drawings that were commissioned, and thus, given to them of which they did what they liked with them. I have gone to many fairs and street art and have done caricatures of both animals and people. When I had my shop I did many logos for clients that ranged from hair dressers, to Doctors, to contractors, and drew for real estate clients. I worked on the Clark College newspaper and did illustrations for them. At the present, I am not working for anyone, but trying to promote my own books, and teaching, as well as doing wood projects for bazaars and art shows.