Drawing/Calligraphy/Cartooning/What is this style? how to do it?

A Man with a Tablet
A Man with a Tablet  

I have attached a photo and I have questions regarding this photo.

I am an engineer with very little experience in digital art (years ago with CorelDraw and Photoshop). I am writing an engineering article and I want to include some photos in my article like the one I sent you (of objects, of humans, etc).

So, I wanted to ask what is this style of illustration? and can I do this with computer aided tools like corel draw? I want some general guidelines if possible.

Thanks a lot.

Howdy Ramin

What you are looking at is a form of 2-d vector drawing. Here below is the explanation of it from Wikipedia
I know that this was a normal form of drawing 'back then' before more advanced techniques from Photoshop and
Illustrator and Corel Draw became the norm.

I Believe Corel Draw was the 'Daddy" of this type of drawing.

I will be honest with you, I do not know much about this subject because I found it to be a pain in the neck
because I never could control the lines and dots.

Ok, now on the photoshop program (I have poked about with Corel draw very briefly and found it tremendously lacking in the ability to do what photoshop can I will be speaking to you about photoshop, which I also believe Illustrator and Corel Draw both have these tools and the capabilities of vector drawing...

IF you have Photoshop you will open it and you will notice a menu bar up on the top that has words such as 'File' edit, image, layer select filter, etc.

Click on "FILE" it'll open up and drop down a menu list, click "NEW" which then you will see a box that has WIDTH, HEIGHT resolution etc You will see on the right hand box the word "Pixels" you don't want that, you want "INCHES" which you will get by clicking the down arrow seen on the 'pixel box...when the INCH box opens then you will be able to size your 'BLANK NEW DRAWING" surface..(let's say you want it the size of a piece of paper..width then you will type in 8.5 and length, type in 11 then click "OK" and now have a drawing surface to play around on...

now when you open the program up you should automatically see  'TOOL" vertical bar MENU on the Photoshop 'desk -top" which has a bunch of symbols on it.  IF YOU DON'T see this very vital menu bar, You will go back UP to the menu bar that has the words on it and look for the word "WINDOW" click on that, another long menu list will drop down and you will then go to the 'TOOL" word. click on that which should then place this vital menu bar onto your desktop...for you can not do anything without this 'tool- kit!"

There are two 'symbols' that you are going to pay attention to..

the "Move Tool" which is the symbol on the right-hand side on the very top, this tool allows you to move
any figures around your 'paper' to place them where you want them.  

BUT for what you are wanting and is the most important tool (or symbol) is the LINE TOOL which is located 8 boxes down  on this menu bar....and it is usually pictured as a LINE and it is to the right of the 'path selector tool" which is the little 'arrow'  

Now the LINE tool if you click on that will open up to a variety of other shapes (this is where you will be able to get your 'tablet' look the guy is drawing on)

Anyway, you will click on the "LINE" only symbol.

where- upon you will immediately look to the top of the desktop, where you first  noticed he words  FILE EDIT, IMAGE, LAYER etc....

AND RIGHT BELOW that menu  bar tyou will notice another menu bar that has a bunch of symbols..... like 3 boxes-  two 'pen nibs four shapes such as box w sq corners bx with rounded corners, an oval and octagon shape ....etc...

ok now, you will go back to the two pen nib shapes.

the left pen nib is the pen that you want...the right pen nib shape is a free draw pen nib allowing you just draw a line willy-nilly, which usually is shaky and is not precise.  

The left pen nib is where you can control the PATH of line you want to take which can be straight line or curved etc. and the line work is straight and mechanical looking of which is the look that you want which will match the curvilinear lines that are in back of this particular drawing

Now here's the tricky part...and this is something you have to play order to get the 'curved' look you will be doing a series of 'clicking' the PEN TOOL and moving the pen in the path you want to take...

ie, lets say you want to draw a crescent moon, so you click on the starting point of the moon, and you then click constantly as you move the pen tool in the curved shape of the moon. You will notice a series of 'dots' along the path they will stay there if you want them to be there, but these dots are also there for you to be able then move the line work all over the place.

Now, if you DRAG your mouse instead of clicking it, you will notice how the line all of a sudden does 'weird' things, (This is what I hated about this for if I wasn't paying attention my carefully drawn path line now was ruined by me forgetting to continually click and I started to drag the mouse, thus taking my line off into the wild blue yonder! BUT of course this is something you will have to practice with...

Now, Once you play with this tool for awhile you will be able to see the other things it can do, which is too extensive to explain. for all I wanted you to know is the basics of this tool so you can start getting familiar with it..

Vector graphics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about computer illustration. For other uses, see Vector graphics (disambiguation).

Example showing effect of vector graphics versus raster graphics.
Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygons—all of which are based on mathematical expressions—to represent images in computer graphics. Vector graphics are based on vectors (also called paths), which lead through locations called control points or nodes. Each of these points has a definite position on the x and y axes of the work plane and determines the direction of the path; further, each path may be assigned a stroke color, shape, thickness, and fill. These properties don't increase the size of vector graphics files in a substantial manner, as all information resides in the document's structure, which describes solely how the vector should be drawn.[citation needed] Vector graphics can be magnified infinitely without loss of quality, while pixel-based graphics cannot.

The term vector graphics is typically used only for 2D (planar) graphics objects, in order to distinguish them from 2D raster graphics, which are also very common. 3D graphics as commonly implemented today (e.g., in OpenGL) are typically described using primitives like 3D points and polygons connecting these (which in turn describe surfaces); these 3D primitives are much more similar to vector graphics than to raster graphics, but aren't explicitly called vector graphics. The equivalent of raster graphics in the 3D world are voxel-based graphics.[1][2]

Contents  [hide]
1 Overview
1.1 Standards
1.2 Conversion
1.3 Printing
2 Operation
2.1 Typical primitive objects
2.2 Vector operations
3 See also
4 References
5 External links
The earliest 2D computer graphics were all vector graphics.[citation needed]

One of the first uses of vector graphic displays was the US SAGE air defense system. Vector graphics systems were only retired from U.S. en route air traffic control in 1999, and are likely still in use in military and specialised systems. Vector graphics were also used on the TX-2 at the MIT Lincoln Laboratory by computer graphics pioneer Ivan Sutherland to run his program Sketchpad in 1963.

Subsequent vector graphics systems, most of which iterated through dynamically modifiable stored lists of drawing instructions, include the IBM 2250, Imlac PDS-1, and DEC GT40. There was a home gaming system that used vector graphics called Vectrex as well as various arcade games like Asteroids, Space Wars and many cinematronics titles such as "rip off", and "tail gunner" using vector monitors. Storage scope displays, such as the Tektronix 4014, could display vector images but not modify them without first erasing the display.

In computer typography, modern outline fonts describe printable characters (glyphs) by cubic or quadratic mathematical curves with control points.[3] Nevertheless, bitmap fonts are still in use. Converting outlines requires filling them in; converting to bitmaps is not trivial, because bitmaps often don't have sufficient resolution to avoid "stairstepping" ("aliasing"), especially with smaller visible character sizes. Processing outline character data in sophisticated fashion to create satisfactory bitmaps for rendering is called "hinting". Although the term implies suggestion, the process is deterministic, and done by executable code, essentially a special-purpose computer language. While automatic hinting is possible, results can be inferior to that done by experts.

Modern vector graphics displays can sometimes be found at laser light shows, where two fast-moving X-Y mirrors position the beam to rapidly draw shapes and text as straight and curved strokes on a screen.

Vector graphics can be created in form using a pen plotter, a special type of printer that uses a series of ballpoint and felt-tip pens on a servo-driven mount that moves horizontally across the paper, with the plotter moving the paper back and forth through its paper path for vertical movement. Although a typical plot might easily require a few thousand paper motions, back and forth, the paper doesn't slip. In a tiny roll-fed plotter made by Alps in Japan, teeth on thin sprockets indented the paper near its edges on the first pass, and maintained registration on subsequent passes.

Some Hewlett-Packard pen plotters had two-axis pen carriers and stationery paper (plot size was limited). However, the moving-paper H-P plotters had grit wheels (akin to machine-shop grinding wheels) which, on the first pass, indented the paper surface, and collectively maintained registration.

Present-day vector graphic files such as engineering drawings are typically printed as bitmaps, after vector-to-raster conversion.

The term "vector graphics" is mainly used today in the context of two-dimensional computer graphics. It is one of several modes an artist can use to create an image on a raster display. Other modes include text, multimedia, and 3D rendering. Virtually all modern 3D rendering is done using extensions of 2D vector graphics techniques. Plotters used in technical drawing still draw vectors directly to paper.

Okee dokee, I hope this helps a bit...and I do wish you all the luck with your career...Thank you for your question for it was fun to answer such...have a nice day,

Sequoia Cougar

Sequoia Cougar

I am a well rounded artist with many years of experience, and I feel I can answer with detail and accuracy most any question that might be asked that pertains to all types of art. I can not answer to the fullest about oil painting, because I don't oil paint. But I do know the material and what is a good oil paint, and the types of brushes to use as well as types of canvas. I am very capable of answering just about any questions relating to strip, gag, and illustration cartooning, scripting for graphic novels and comic books, (but I admit that I can not draw the 'action figure,' as they do now, but I know what is correct, and what isn't in human and animal anatomy. I can teach correct and dynamic perspective, action, " emotional feeling," and can get the student that has the comic book artistic flair to improve their stories and drawing where they can tell an energetic story. My genre is in cartooning and realistic drawing. But I also can teach perspective in such a way to where the student can quickly pick up this difficult subject. (This is a subject I know a comic book student must have.) Shading, coloring, with most any art media. I know where to buy art supplies, how these art materials work because of my experience selling these products what kind art supplies such as paper, paint, ink, colored pencils, and graphite pencils that the artist will need for their craft.

QUALIFICATIONS- I have over 30 years of experience in all facets of art, including, Illustration, Cartooning, Clay and Ceramics, Graphic Art, Fine Art, directing art projects for students and clients. I have an wide amount of knowledge in this field, which includes, an extensive knowledge of art materials,selling and buying art materials, consulting customers on the proper use of their art materials. Printing, layout, and Illustrative techniques. I can work on both the PC and Mac (Mac is not my preference) I have completed many Graphic Design projects for my customers, a few of which are, Realtors, Doctors, Hairdressers, Veterinarians I am in the process of publishing a book on Perspective which required working with Word 95, 98 2000. Other programs that I have worked with are: Works, Print Shop 5, 10, some in Corel Draw, Painter 3-D, Photo Shop 5.5, Illustrator 8.0, Page Maker , Quark XPress and Grafix. And am currently trying to learn Dreamweaver and Fireworks for Web design. For over 11 years I had been teaching my own shop called “Graphic Cat School of Art.” I had taught for over two years at Tualatin Recreational Center.. I also have taught at the Oregon school for troubled children Currently I am a retired Correctional Officer at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, which in my spare tine I had taught art to the female inmates. I am currently am under a new business name of, “Cartoon Cougar Studio.” Under this name I am teaching online art classes and comic book script writing. I am also teaching art lessons out of my home.

I have had no time to join any organizations. I was a member of COW (Cartoonist of Oregon) in 2000...

I did gag cartoons for Leatherneck magazine from 1990- 2005 The ARC newspaper (before it went out of business. 1990) I did a strip called "The adventures of the Pump House gang." which was I was asked to do a cartoon strip with disabled characters.

1989- 2000 - Graphic Cat School of Illustration and Cartooning. Owner and manager of own my own business. 1997-2000- Tualatin Hills Conestoga Rec. & Aquatic Center Part-time. EDUCATION: 1965-1967 American Academy of Art Chicago, Ill 1983- 1984- Associates in Arts and Science- Clark College, Vancouver, Wash. 1984 –1985 -Associate in Applied Science in Graphic Design- Clark College, Vancouver, Washington 1999-2000- New Horizons, Mac training in Page Maker and PhotoShop- Portland, Oregon 2001- to 2002- Portland Community College- Psychology, and typing

Have won first prize in the COW cartooning gag illustration. Received the Edda McCormick art scholarship at Clark College in 1984.

Have illustrated for a private client, promoting cat characters (the main character was a blue harmonica playing jazz cat called "Bluzkat." for harmonica seminars that has been done in New Orleans. and Oregon. (Now, put on hold) Have scripted and drawn a few ideas for characters for a comic book series called "Vampeer" (now not being published.) I have also drawn children's illustrations for clients that want to self publish their own work. These were drawings that were commissioned, and thus, given to them of which they did what they liked with them. I have gone to many fairs and street art and have done caricatures of both animals and people. When I had my shop I did many logos for clients that ranged from hair dressers, to Doctors, to contractors, and drew for real estate clients. I worked on the Clark College newspaper and did illustrations for them. At the present, I am not working for anyone, but trying to promote my own books, and teaching, as well as doing wood projects for bazaars and art shows.