Dream Interpretation/cat dream

Question
I am going on 6 months pregnant and I don't have a cat but I dreamed that was rubbing a cat like he was mine than feed him some sardines but i was so happy in the dream I cling to making it my responsibility of making sure the cat was feed..

Answer
Hi there,

It is interesting how many pregnant women dream about cats!  Cats can symbolise a number of different things depending on your view of them.  One interpretation is that they can symbolise your feminine side.  This would make sense given that you are pregnant and really living out your feminine ability to give birth.  In the dream you were very happy and wanted to take responsibility for feeding and taking care of the cat.  So this might be reflecting your happiness with your pregnancy and making it your responsibility to nurture your child as best as you possibly can.  You must be very happy to be pregnant and very happy to take on the extra responsibility for another life.  

Another symbolic meaning of cats is as a symbol of being independent and self determined.  Apart from lions, all cats are solitary animals. (Dogs on the other hand are pack animals and crave company).  If a cat spends time with you then it is because the cat has chosen to - not because it is forced to do so out of necessity.  So in this way, independence is about choice, making your own choices and not being overly influenced by others.  The cat then might symbolise your own decision making, your ability to choose your own path in life and not blindly following in someone else's footsteps. Also, if you have recently gained independence from some relationship or situation, it could be about this.  

One more thing that cats can symbolise (of course you might have your own individual meaning for cats, depending on your experience with them, but these meanings are some of the more common meanings) is that cats have some kind of link with the spiritual world and so represent your own spirituality.  If this meaning is the case for you, then the dream might be about nurturing and developing that spirituality within yourself.

In general, I think that this dream is about being pregnant and being really happy about it and very ready for it. The thing I really like about your dream is that emphasis on responsibility.  Rather than dreaming about creating something of your own and your ability to create a new life, you have focussed on your responsibility as a parent.  Perhaps in that way, the cat represents the individuality of your baby as a person, rather than an extention of yourself. Instead of children being our own possession, they really don't "belong" to us, (although of course our children are "our" children).  When you think about it, parents have been entrusted to raise children into adults and individuals with their own hopes and dreams, not clones of themselves that parents can shape in anyway they choose. It is better that children make their own decisions (once adults) and not just blindly follow what their parents tell then to do.  Of course parents need to have a positive influence on their children, but in the end, they all grow up to be adults and hopefully we can guide them (rather than drag them) down the right path.

I really like the message of your dream.  I hope the interpretation rings true for you - would love to get your feedback.  If it doesn't quite fit with you then let me know.  I am sure we can figure it out. Your dream is very brief for instance, perhaps there were other details in the dream that you would like some insight into.  All  the very best with your pregnancy and new baby.  I think you will make a great Mum (if you're not already a great Mum that is!)

Take it easy.

Dream Interpretation

Chook