Dream Interpretation/dreams

A third grade student of mine is working on a personal learning project and she is wondering:
1. What are dreams?
2. How/Why do we dream?
3. How are dreams only 10 seconds long in real life?
If you are able to answer these in a way that a nine-year-old would be able to understand it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time!

1. Dreams are stories and images that our minds create while we sleep. They can be entertaining, fun, romantic, disturbing, frightening and sometimes bizarre. Dreams can occur during any stage of sleep, but usually occure during REM (Rapid Eye Movment). When someone dreams they are usuallly unaware that they are dreaming and have no control over their dream, with the exception of lucid dream. If someone is aware they are dreaming (Lucid), then they can manipulate and control hteir dream. The average person has about 5 to 7 dreams per night. Everybody dreams and that is a scientific fact. Some people claim they don't dream, but they do, they just doing remember their dreams. Science has also proven that even animals such as cats, dogs, and even birds dream when they go to sleep.

2. Theory are many theories and scientifice explanations on why and how we dream. How and why we dream is still not 100% understood. I guess this is just another example of how complex our brains are. Here are some theories on why we dream.

One theory suggests that dreams are the result of our brains trying to interpret external stimuli during sleep. For example, the sound of the radio may be incorporated into the content of a dream

Another theory uses a computer metaphor to account for dreams. According to this theory, dreams serve to 'clean up' clutter from the mind, much like clean-up operations in a computer, refreshing the mind to prepare for the next day.

Yet another model proposes that dreams function as a form of psychotherapy. In this theory, the dreamer is able to make connections between different thoughts and emotions in a safe environment .

A contemporary model of dreaming combines some elements of various theories. The activation of the brain creates loose connections between thoughts and ideas, which are then guided by the emotions of the dreamer .

3. Dreams last longer then 10 secounds in real life. Each person spends approximently 90 min dreaming each night. The first dream of the night is usually only 5 min. During the course of the night dreams usually get longer and longer. The last dream of the night usually last 45-50 min long. Even though dreams only seem like they are a few secounds long, they actually last a lot longer then 10-45 secounds.

I hope this answers your questions and if you hgave any more questions feel free to ask me.  

Dream Interpretation

I am not a dream Interpreter, I specialize in lucid dreams. With this being said please don't ask me any questions about what your dreams mean. All dream interpretation questions will be rejected. Lucid dreams are when you realize that you are in a dream. Once you realize that you are dreaming, you can control and manipulate your dreams. I can answer questions regarding lucid dreaming, false awakening, paralysis sleep, and reality testing. I cannot answer questions regarding out of body experience.

When I was a little kid I would have 1-2 lucid dreams a year that I could control. As I got older I would have about 3-5 lucid dreams every year, but now I am averaging about 4-5 lucid dreams every month.

High School Graduate Harper College (ongoing)