Dream Interpretation/hi wondering if you could tell me if I am experiencing a lucid dream or not

QUESTION: Well first I would like to say that this isnt the first time I had this like  nightmare if I can even call it that but I only get it once every couple months to a year. Its been awhile since I had another one of these. Well it starts off with me floating my way up into this old like abondoned building, up these long stairs then I keep going up into like an attic hallway then i just start geting this eeri feeling, this place looks dark and old. I try to stop myself from going to where ever I am taking myself but its like I have no control and it scares me even tho I know i am not really there.. I know how weird this sounds. Then after me floating thru this hallway in the attic I go to turn into the attic ceiling where theres a huge hole in the wall and right before I go in I gain control back over myself but then I sense something evil coming towards me I race to get out of there and then I wake up with my heart beating so fast and like I know this isnt real but yet it frightens me so much that I dont want to fall asleep again cause of my fear of going back into this place and that I have no memory of ever being there in my life but Can you tell me what you think I am experiencing and how to prevent it? Thank you for your time. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

ANSWER: From your description, it sounds like you are experiencing a vivid lucid dream, which quickly turns into a nightmare. In most cases, their is very little you can do once your dream turns into a nightmare, so your best bet is to prevent your dream from turning into a nightmare in the first place.

Are you familiar with reality testing. Performing a reality test allows you to quickly determine if you are dreaming or awake. You should practice 2-3 different types of reality tests, just in case one fails in a dream. Testing the light switch has a 95% success rate because in a dream, the lights simply won't work. You can also look at the clock and often notice the clock will look wearied, or hours will pass in seconds. You should do 1 reality test every hour that you are awake. After. Doing this for weeks and months, it will become a regular habit. If you happened to do a reality test in a dream, then you will realize that you are dreaming. If you realize you are dreaming and haven't done a reality test yet, then you should go ahead and do your reality test anyway even if you know you are dreaming. This will help to reinforce that you are dreaming and you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Doing this should also give you more control over your own body.

Their is a more advance technique you could try, it's called spinning. This works by spinning your body round and round. This technique will often change the entire dream scenery all together. You can also use spinning to prolong a dream that you know is about to end. I would also like to point out, if you wait until your dream turns into a vivid nigh mere, spinning will not help you.

You can also choose to fight back, what ever it is scaring you, stand their and fight. If you get scared, just remember that you did a reality test to prove that you are dreaming, so nothing can hurt you. If you manage to stand up to the evil that you sense, it's likely to disappear and not bother you anymore in future dreams. Just remember, the more frightened you are, the more power that evil has over you.

QUESTION: Ok thank you this was very helpful and I will definitely try this. Hopefully it will work for me but I cant stop to think that these dreams are trying to tell me something or if there is some evil spirit trying to get to me while I am asleep cause when I am awake they cant. The main reason why im so afraid of these certain dreams is because I had others that actually physically touched me. Like in one I had like an obe but I wasn't floating anywhere I continued to lay down like I was sleeping but there was this Dark black person laying beside me staring at me and each time I tried to wake up I wasn't able and this person was just geting angry at me and finally thier eyes turned red and hit me on the side of my temple well in the morning I realized I had a bloodshot eye then another time it felt like something was calling me to this room and I was floating towards it when I finally got near something started laughing then I went back and woke up then this other time I only fell asleep for a min then It was like I was in flames it felt so real then when I awoke and fell out again I seen this face floating staring at me then in this other time I was walking thru these woods when this person fell in front of me and I said so this is what happens then this deep loud voice says yes i awoke feeling like something just blew out my ear drum but yeah I hope I can take control of these soon but have you experienced something like this ? are spirits capable of  interacting during someones sleep? if so how would you go about blocking them out if these other techniques dont work

In my honest opinion, I don't think you are experiencing demon possession or anything related. Sleep paralysis often happens before you enter dreamland. Sleep paralysis can also happen during or at the end of your dream. during intense sleep paralysis episodes, its possible to experience Hypnagogic and hypnopompic visions and hearing a demonic voice when resistance is attempted are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is a natural phenomenon. Here are some causes of sleep paralysis.

If those sprites only touched you then I consider you pretty lucky. It doesn't happen often, but when I experience sleep paralysis, I feel like I am being pinched and tortured all night. When I wake up, I fall right back in the awful dream. I actually feel pain and discomfort all night. I often feel that I am getting pinched and harassed by Multiple spirits. I have found something that works though. After I wake up, I go to the bathroom, then go back to bed. I find that this breaks the vicious cycle and I'm able to fall asleep. Of course, I only have 5-10 seconds to get out of bed, otherwise I will fall back in the same dream over and over. I only have a few seconds though. If I'm to lazy or feel to tired, then I pay the price and fall back in that dream.  

Lack of sleep
Sleep schedule that changes
Mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
Sleeping on the back
Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
Use of certain medications, such as those for ADHD
Substance abuse

If you sleep on your back, then you will be more prone to sleep paralysis.

Here is medical explanation for why sleep paralysis happens:
Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain and body aren't quite on the same page when it comes to sleep. During rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, dreaming is frequent, but the body's muscles are relaxed to the point of paralysis, perhaps to keep people from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis occurs when you try to wake up prematurely. Every night before you go to bed, your brain releases a powerful chemical that paralyze the whole body because otherwise you would move, toss and turn, and act out your dreams; This prevents you from getting injured during your dream. If you wake up prematurely, while the chemical is still flowing though your body, then you have sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis usually last several seconds to several minutes.

As for what your dream actually means this is outside my expertise, so perhaps someone else on all experts can answer that. Sleep paralysis is a natural phenomenon, which can fully be explained by science. I hope this helps you.  

Dream Interpretation

I am not a dream Interpreter, I specialize in lucid dreams. With this being said please don't ask me any questions about what your dreams mean. All dream interpretation questions will be rejected. Lucid dreams are when you realize that you are in a dream. Once you realize that you are dreaming, you can control and manipulate your dreams. I can answer questions regarding lucid dreaming, false awakening, paralysis sleep, and reality testing. I cannot answer questions regarding out of body experience.

When I was a little kid I would have 1-2 lucid dreams a year that I could control. As I got older I would have about 3-5 lucid dreams every year, but now I am averaging about 4-5 lucid dreams every month.

High School Graduate Harper College (ongoing)