Driving & Driving Test Tips/Automatic Gear

I know the P gear is meant for parking, however some people have said that it is also 'right' to set the gear to P when your car is stationary at the traffic light and when you are stopping at the side. Neutral is ONLY meant for pushing the car when the car doesn't start up. Is this true?

IF you are stopped in traffic for an extended period of time the putting the vehicl ein P is not a problem.  But if it is stop and go traffic then it will impeded traffic awaiting you putting it back into drive.  Neutral is probably best used for pushing the car because otherwise you 'won't be able to move it by pushing it.

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter

Traffic collision reconstructionist with 19 years of traffic collision investigation experience as an LAPD officer. I can answer questions about traffic collisions with vehicles, motorcycles, pedistrians, bicycles, and commercial vehicles. Especially cases of low speed collisions and injury potential. I can answer questions about the vehicle code (specific for Ca and in general for other states) but I am not a driving instructor nor a vehicle mechanic. You need to talk to someone else about these issues.

19 years traffic collision investigations. 17 years as traffic collision reconstructionist for the city of Los Angeles and outside consultation. Court qualified in criminal and civil cases. ACTAR #519.

Accredidation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists Southwest Association of Technical Accident Investigators
Society Of Accident Reconstructionists
Society of Automotive Engineers
California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists

B.S. in Psychology Western Illinois University (math amjor-physics minor first two years), Now attending Chaffey college taking Calculus 3 and Chemistry working for Engineering degree