Driving & Driving Test Tips/Emergency Brakes in Automobiles.

Dear Mark

1. Is Emergency Brakes Feature available in all automobiles ?. viz a. two wheeler scooters, motorcycles, bikes etc b. three wheeler viz autorickshaw, tempo c.four wheelers viz Cars, Jeeps, Trucks, Buses, Lorries etc ?.

2. In a rare case technically, the Emergency Brakes can also fail or not work in a automobile for the driver ?.

3. What are the real life situations where emergency brakes can be applied by automobile driver ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

1. All modern cars and trucks have parking brakes that are referred to as emergency brakes. Two wheeled vehicles do not.
2. Yes they can also fail but usually this is a rare occurrence.
3. The parking brakes can always be applied by the driver by engaging the handle or depressing the foot pedal for these brakes.  The problem is that they will only engage the rear brakes and tend to make the vehicle unstable. But if the regular brakes go out the "emergency brakes" can be used because they are activated by a cable.

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter

Traffic collision reconstructionist with 19 years of traffic collision investigation experience as an LAPD officer. I can answer questions about traffic collisions with vehicles, motorcycles, pedistrians, bicycles, and commercial vehicles. Especially cases of low speed collisions and injury potential. I can answer questions about the vehicle code (specific for Ca and in general for other states) but I am not a driving instructor nor a vehicle mechanic. You need to talk to someone else about these issues.

19 years traffic collision investigations. 17 years as traffic collision reconstructionist for the city of Los Angeles and outside consultation. Court qualified in criminal and civil cases. ACTAR #519.

Accredidation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists Southwest Association of Technical Accident Investigators
Society Of Accident Reconstructionists
Society of Automotive Engineers
California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists

B.S. in Psychology Western Illinois University (math amjor-physics minor first two years), Now attending Chaffey college taking Calculus 3 and Chemistry working for Engineering degree