Driving & Driving Test Tips/Dealing with Jaywalker

Question
Hello Mr. Winter:  A few days ago, I was making a left turn on a green light.  There was an elderly couple standing on the sidewalk of the street that I was turning onto. About half way through my turn, they wandered into the street, and just stood there, preventing me from completing my turn. I was stuck in the intersection, with oncoming traffic.

I would appreciate your advice on how I should handle this type of situation. Thanks.

Answer
The traffic laws usually state that a driver must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.  If they were in a position to step into the street as you turn you should wait.  Then even if they don't start to walk as the lights change you will still be able to make your turn when the lights change (a vehicle in the intersection even when the lights change has the right of way).

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter