Driving & Driving Test Tips/Dealing with Jaywalker

Hello Mr. Winter:  A few days ago, I was making a left turn on a green light.  There was an elderly couple standing on the sidewalk of the street that I was turning onto. About half way through my turn, they wandered into the street, and just stood there, preventing me from completing my turn. I was stuck in the intersection, with oncoming traffic.

I would appreciate your advice on how I should handle this type of situation. Thanks.

The traffic laws usually state that a driver must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.  If they were in a position to step into the street as you turn you should wait.  Then even if they don't start to walk as the lights change you will still be able to make your turn when the lights change (a vehicle in the intersection even when the lights change has the right of way).

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter

Traffic collision reconstructionist with 19 years of traffic collision investigation experience as an LAPD officer. I can answer questions about traffic collisions with vehicles, motorcycles, pedistrians, bicycles, and commercial vehicles. Especially cases of low speed collisions and injury potential. I can answer questions about the vehicle code (specific for Ca and in general for other states) but I am not a driving instructor nor a vehicle mechanic. You need to talk to someone else about these issues.

19 years traffic collision investigations. 17 years as traffic collision reconstructionist for the city of Los Angeles and outside consultation. Court qualified in criminal and civil cases. ACTAR #519.

Accredidation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists Southwest Association of Technical Accident Investigators
Society Of Accident Reconstructionists
Society of Automotive Engineers
California Association of Accident Reconstruction Specialists

B.S. in Psychology Western Illinois University (math amjor-physics minor first two years), Now attending Chaffey college taking Calculus 3 and Chemistry working for Engineering degree