Driving & Driving Test Tips/Left Hand and Right Hand Drive Trains.

Question
Dear Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

Similar to there are Left hand and Right Hand Drive Vehicles in different countries, is this also applicable to trains ?.
Similarly the Traffic signs positions accordingly will also vary ?.

i.e

The Motorman sits on the left hand side in the cabin for Train operations  in some countries ?.
Or
The Motorman sits on the right hand side in the train cabin for Train operations  in some countries ?.
Or
Is a Universal rule applied in all countries where there will be always
motorman sitting on Left hand side or right hand side in the cabin ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I do not know of any rule that dictates the seated position of the train operator.  There are spots on either side of the engine and I would only speculate that the operator is usually in the seat that is to the side where the stations will be stopped at and not dictated by driving habits.

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter