Driving & Driving Test Tips/Power Steering functions.

Question
Power steering
Power steering  
QUESTION: Dear Mark

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

Is it also possible to integrate the Brake, Accelerator Functions available to the Driver available on the Steering wheel to the Driver through re-engineering process ?.

If it is possible, then do you feel this could be advantageous to the current acceleration, braking mechanism available to the driver near the feet ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: These functions are already being done for handicapped people (paraplegics).  I do not have an opinion as to being more advantageous or not; it would be a different learning curve.  it is impracticable right now since cars are manufactured with using the feet for its operation.  It would be a major change to do so by car manufacturers.  

Rubber coating
Rubber coating  
QUESTION: Dear Mark

Thank you.

If it is possible to design Brake, Accelerator Functions within steering vehicle, it will be also applicable to implement Brake, Accelerator Functions for Power Steering in Heavy vehicles viz Bus, Truck, Tempos, Lorries etc apart from Medium Class vehicles Cars, Jeeps, Tractors etc ?.

Maybe the Soft keys controls made of rubber or any other alternative material identifying the two functions for applying Brake and Acceleration on the steering wheel is painted with Red and Green color respectively ?.

Also Brake and Accelerate Text written on the soft keys controls can help for identifying the two functions ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes this has been done for disabled people.  It would undertake buttons to be toggled to accelerate or brake but these would probably be best not in the steering wheel.  They are hard to access when you are making a turn or could be bumped at the wrong time when turning.  Most of the time these functions (for disabled) are put into another location accessible to the hands but not on the steering wheel.  I do not see it a advantages over using your feet; it would be a learning experince just like the first time you started to drive.

Driving & Driving Test Tips

Mark Winter