Drums & Percussion/Hinger Touchtone snare

Hi there,

I have a walnut 6 1/2" Hinger Touchtone snare drum in amazing condition from the early 1980's.  I was really only played for about 3-4 years, and has been sitting perfectly preserved in my folk's basement ever since.  The bottom head has a tiny hole, but other than that, is in great shape.

I'm probably going to hang onto it for sentimental reasons, but in case I decide to sell it, can you tell me approximately how much it's worth? And on what website it's best to sell it?  I looked on Ebay and there were none there.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Stephen,
Sorry it took a while to respond, I'm in the U.K. for 2 weeks. Can you send a picture of the drum? I hesitate giving an opinion with out seeing something although it's no problem if you can't. You may or may not know, Fred Hinger was mainly known for making timpani and didn't make many snare drums. I don't think there are that many people familiar with him. There is a website dedicated to vintage drums (which I can get to you if you like) but ebay still reaches more people and is not a bad option.

Drums & Percussion

Mike Shapiro

I can answer questions regarding drum and percussion subjects. If you have a question about technique, rudiments, grooves, fills, styles, reading (etc.) in relation to the drum set... ask away! I'm also able to help with timpani, vibes, marimba and hand percussion. I can also answer questions regarding the purchasing of drum and percussion instruments and accessories, including vintage and current items. I can help with restoration projects or research with the history of percussion instruments, music, repertoire, manufacturers etc.

I've been playing professionally and teaching music for 25 years. I'm involved in many genres of music and have played with a wide range of musicians from Todd Rundgren to Zubin Mehta. I'm also very interested in the instruments themselves and have owned or played many interesting ones.

Professional Drum Teachers Guild

Bachelor of Music, The Juilliard School