Drums & Percussion/Percussion Instruments in Orchestra

Question
Hi :)

I want to ask two questions regarding percussion instruments used in orchestra.

1. What are kind of practices to improve the skills of playing percussion instruments?
2. What are the functions of percussion instruments in orchestra, or any other events?

This is for my school project work. I hope you can help. Thanks!

Answer
Percussionists must be training in a variety of areas play. This includes snare drum, drumset, timpani, and keyboard percussion instruments. This also includes what are called batterie or accessory percussion; bass drum, cymbals, tambourine, triangle, etc. To learn these skills takes many years of practice and study with a professional. Most orchestral percussionists have studied and practiced 2-3 hours a day for at least 10 years. The top performers play and practice 20 hours per week or more!

The function of percussion in the orchestra is unlimited. It can be to add rhythmic background, to add accents and intensity, to add harmonic support as in the use of timpani, or to add unique sounds that are not available on other instruments.

Drums & Percussion

James Moyer