Drums & Percussion/Practicing Tempos for Rudiments

Question
Hey Mike,

Thanks for helping me again. For an intermediate player, which tempos (or at least how many tempos) should each rudiment be practiced at? I read in a book that each should be practiced at three tempos--slow, medium, and fast, depending on the individual (where fast is the quickest tempo while maintaining good technique). Another book said to play slow to fast to slow, passing through all intervening tempos, but this is a little hard when playing with a metronome.

Thanks again.

Best,
Tony

Answer
Hi Tony,
You ask great questions. I think the first way you mentioned is the better way. Slow, medium and fast with the fastest tempo still sounding good. You can change each of those tempos (even slightly) now and then which will help you cover more ground. Doing it this way, you can continue to use your metronome (which I'm a firm believer in).
Best,
Mike

Drums & Percussion

Mike Shapiro