Drums & Percussion/rolls

Question
I am a newcomer to the drum (after years of woodwinds). How do you learn a fast roll as the intro to the National Anthem? Is that a rapid single roll?  Thanks, Joel

Answer
Hi Joel,
Welcome to the drumming community. The conventional way to play the intro to The National Anthem is to use a "buzz roll" or long roll as it's referred to in the NARD list of rudiments. It's an indeterminate amount of strokes in each hand. To achieve this, try dropping your sticks (RLRL) and letting them bounce rapidly and for as long as possible.  You'll have to apply a little pressure when the stick hits the head to achieve the "buzz" sound. Start slowly with the RLRL (assuming you're a righty, if not LRLR) sticking and over time gradually increase your speed.
Have fun with that!
Best,
Mike  

Drums & Percussion

Mike Shapiro