Dulcimer/Warren May Dulcimer

I am considering buying a Warren A.May all cherry dulcimer from Down Home Guitars  a great acoustic shop in Frankfort, IL (south Chicago Burb').  It does not have a 6 1/2 fret and I was wondering if it can be added without affecting the instrument. They say they have a good guy who can do it but do you know of anybody in the south or west Chicago suburbs who can do that. As a FYI I have been playing for 3 years mostly Dadd but also Daaa.

Bill in Monee

Hey Bill - a competent luthier should easily be able to install a 6 1/2 fret without affecting the sound or playability of the instrument - the key is to fine a "competent" luthier. It's not brain surgery, but it is a process requiring some skill to get it right. Sorry, I don't know any Chicago-area luthiers, but check around with guitarists, music stores - you'll find the right person. You want someone familiar with working on acoustic instruments. Maybe try these guys - but I don't know them and can't recommend

John Blosser

All questions pertaining to the playing of mountain dulcimer, acquisition of dulcimers, books, CDs, etc., how to play, how to learn, WHY to play, where to get a good dulcimer, what books are most helpful to beginners, etc.

Teacher/performer: French Creek (Pa.) dulcimer symposium Teacher/performer: Sunshine State Music Camp, 2000 Teacher/Performer -- NGFDA Fall Festival, 2000 Performer - various venues for the past l0 years. Current Florida dulcimer champion, 2000.