Dulcimer/Larry McSpadden

I just bought a dulcimer which was signed by Larry McSpadden. I did a bit of research and found out he had a brother named Lynn who also manufactured them along with him. My question is I guess, is one of them better or are they basically the same. Also I would like to know if you could recommend a good maker of custom pieces which will not make me take out a loan, or inter into indentured servitude. Thanks in advance and keep strumin/pickin/stroking/whatever. Peace

Well, Lynn, the founder of McSpadden, is no longer with us but a McSpadden is a McSpadden is a McSpadden - there is little difference between them but, that said, that means they all sound great, have great action and are properly fretted -- basically, I usually suggest them to people looking for a great starter dulcimer that they will keep and play for many years -- As to custom makers, in my personal experience, if you can get JOhn STockard to make one, do so - Michael Rugg is another, Ben Seymour turns out a great dulcimer, Tom Fellenbaum, Ken Bloom, Jerry Rockwell, but, of course, it ain't that simple. You can not, and should not, buy a dulcimer just on maker reputation alone, but rather, on how it resonates with you, and that requires hands-on experience. I suggest going to a dulcimer festival, trying out all the dulcimers of the makers at the festival, and wait until you fall in love. Trust me - it will happen. The last three dulcimers I've bought (including my Simerman (also passed on) which is, in my opinion, a terrific dulcimer, and my John STockard) came along that way. I am a serial monogamist when it comes to dulcimers - I find one that I'm nuts about, play it, often for years, and then one day, another comes along and largely takes its place. Nor is price a good determinant - I've seen dulcimers priced in the thousands which just didn't burn my jets, and dulcimers which were in the $500 range that I dearly loved.
Hope this helps.....  

John Blosser

All questions pertaining to the playing of mountain dulcimer, acquisition of dulcimers, books, CDs, etc., how to play, how to learn, WHY to play, where to get a good dulcimer, what books are most helpful to beginners, etc.

Teacher/performer: French Creek (Pa.) dulcimer symposium Teacher/performer: Sunshine State Music Camp, 2000 Teacher/Performer -- NGFDA Fall Festival, 2000 Performer - various venues for the past l0 years. Current Florida dulcimer champion, 2000.