Dutch/Spelling of surname : Lyandjyk

Hi Philip

Do you know how to spell the Dutch last name, sounds like,  LYANDJYK ?

Thank you  LISA

Hello Lisa,
The name that you refer to must be Luyendijk or Luijendijk, both pronounced the same way. It is indeed a Dutch name. The pronunciation for non-Dutch is quite hard as there are 2 phonemes in it that are particular to Dutch, the "ui" (old Dutch "uy") and the "ij". The closest I could explain in writing is Loyendike. In fact, the latter half "dijk" is indeed the word "dike".
I tried to find the origin. Normally, a family name can be traced to a location. However, there is no such town that I can find. So maybe this family actually lived at a dike. there is one with that name near Amsterdam, and another near the historic town of Brielle (

Philip Lafeber

Because I am Dutch, you might ask me any general question about The Netherlands. Specifically, I can tell you about;

Please don't expect expert answers on history or genealogy.

I have been raised in The Netherlands, I have studied and worked there. I have also always been interested in other countries, languages and cultures. That is why I think I can say I know what the Dutch are like and how they differ from others.

I have earned my M.Sc. at a Dutch university. I also have an IELTS, so please also ask me about the language.