Ear & Body Piercing/Belly piercing sore

I got my belly button pierced nearly a year ago now. I have never taken it out but a month ago I did for the day so I could leave the belly ring in a cleaning solution. When I tried to put the ring back in it seemed like the skin had started to grow back on either side of the piercing and I had to push hard to get it through. Since then a sore has appeared in between the top hole and my belly button. It pusses and bleeds but doesnt seem to be going away and I have been cleaning it often. I thought if I kept making that stuff come out it would heal and go away. Any idea what this is and how I can make it go away?

It seems that you damaged the skin that was lining your piercing. It may be possible to recover from this if you treat it like a fresh piercing and take care of it well. If it has not gotten better, and has been a month, you may be best served by your healthcare provider.

* For future reference, it is not necessary or helpful to remove jewelry to clean it. The jewelry should be cleaned carefully while attached, or a new sterilized piece of the same size should be put in place immediately if the first piece is removed to be cleaned.

** If you remove or lose jewelry and it can not be easily reinserted, see your professional piercer for help.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and