Ear & Body Piercing/18g & 20g nostril piercing

Hi. I had my nostril pierced in 2005 and have changed the jewelry before with a 20g nostril screw. I recently bought an 18g nostril screw and after I put it the piercing became sore. I started the sea salt soaks and cleaning process but a week later it feels the same. I guess I have two main questions: 1. How long until the soreness goes away or do you recommend downsizing to 20g and 2. If I change back to a 20g nostril screw at any time (be it today or 5 years from now) will the hole be too stretched out to accommodate the smaller jewelry? Any advice you have would be really great :). Thanks!

Hello Katie, might help explain why the area is irritated.
If the jewelry was not smooth, sterilized and well lubricated when inserted, the area could have been pinched or scratched and there would be a risk of infection. If you treat it like a new piercing, it should be well soon. Once the area relaxes, it should be easy to change from 18 to 20g and back. explains gentle care.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and