Ear & Body Piercing/Finding a Reputable Piercer

Hey! I'm Lex. I'm really considering getting my belly button and nipples pierced but am not sure how to find a reputable piercer in my area; (I just moved to the Jackson (Mississippi) area): Besides that, though,I come from a background with very conservative parents- and since I'm the oldest child and a girl my parents were Very sheltering- as such, I have no friends who would encourage me in this decision (let alone know how to aid me in it). I also have very little experience in body modification; just ear piercings (two each lobe and one helix).  I plan on getting the belly button piercing (about a year) before the nipple piercings so that I a) can give the belly piercing enough healing time and b) have more knowledge of the pain and healing practice I'm in for with the nipple piercings.  If you've got any advice for me in this endeavor, I'm all ears!

Hello Lex,

I work with The Association of Professional Piercers, a nonprofit organization dedicated to safe body piercing.

Here is some of the information that we suggest for how to find a qualified piercer.

My fellow members of the organization agree to meet these standards and can be found at:

Don't let the fear of pain and healing worry you, explains what you can expect :)

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and