Ear & Body Piercing/Would you pierce the ears of a baby girl that is less than 30 minutes old?

Would you pierce the ears of a baby girl that is less than 30 minutes old? Would you pierce the ears of a three-year-old girl seven times while she is a sleep? Her father gives you written permission and this is legal under US law.  Her fathers want his daughter’s ear pierced seven times and wants this done while she is asleep.

1. As a matter of personal ethical preference, I would not pierce anyone who could not ask for the procedure themselves. It may be possible to have this done by a medical professional in the hospital where the birth occurs, but that is just conjecture on my part.

2. I consider it necessary to be awake and alert for a piercing procedure. There is no way to pierce a sleeping person without waking them otherwise. The only way to ensure that they were asleep would be with general anesthetic, which is both unadvisable for something as simple as ear piercings, and not available to anyone outside of medical professionals.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and