Ear & Body Piercing/double forward helix piercing

QUESTION: I had a double forward helix piercing 4 months ago. I realise it will take some time to heal, but it still feels very bruised and swollen (it is not infected). I have had an 8mm bioplast labret stud  in since it was pierced and I am wondering if that is what is causing the bruising and redness as when I sleep I must lie on the back stud which presses on the cartilage. Would a ring in these piercings help? I had my tragus done at the same time and it is fine with no bruising or swelling. Please advise whether there is anything I can do to help with the healing and stop the bruised feeling. Thank you

ANSWER: Pain, swelling, heat, redness and or discolored discharge in any combination may be signs of infection. It may simply be irritated from the jewelry, as the surface finish of that plastic is not known to be in the specified range for appropriate body jewelry. explains more in detail.

Where are you located? I'll be glad to refer you to a qualified colleague for a free consultation. A ring will not likely improve the situation, but smoother, higher quality jewelry will. should help in the meantime to soothe the area with frequent hot compresses.

QUESTION: Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your response and mention that actually I live in Goa, India after relocating there from the UK, so am doubting you have any colleagues here! I will look into getting some titanium studs sent from either the UK or the US to put in my piercings. I was told by my piercer that bioplast was the latest hypo-allergenic material to use! I guess she was wrong! It has started to subside now as I am treating it as though it is infected, but will definitely look into some higher quality jewelery. Many thanks again for your advice. :-)

As far as the material goes, it checks out for short term compatibility. On the other hand, the surface is not smooth enough. has excellent Ti posts that will be carefully inspected and sterilized prior to shipping, which will be to your benefit. Currently I do not have colleagues in India that I can refer you to with confidence for this jewelry.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and