Ear & Body Piercing/Nipple Piercing Bleeding

I've had my nipples pierced before unprofessionally as a teen and just got them re-done last year in January. Maybe 6 months ago, I started having issues with the right nipple piercing. I went to a piercer and he changed the barbell and everything healed nicely. A couple days ago, It started hurting, I took my bra off to shower and there was blood on my bra. I washed it with the all natural, organic soap, but it didn't help. Today I soaked it with the sea salt water and it felt better momentarily but now, it's just bleeding and sticking to my bra and it's quite painful if my bra moves as it rips the scab off. Is a band-aid the best solution and just keep soaking? It's freaking me out.  Thank you!

See your healthcare provider if it gets worse or does not get better. is what I suggest, has further advice from my colleagues in the Association of Professional Piercers.

A non-stick sterile dressing (a coated gauze pad) inside a well-fitting bra should help with the secretions, and to prevent further damage. Change the dressing as often as needed.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and